ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th July 2019, 09:50 AM   #1
wasapi
Philosopher

Chris Watts has found God.

https://www.insider.com/chris-watts-finds-god-2019-3

The monster who murdered his wife and young daughters, has found peace from God. It seems that God has forgiven him, and all is well.

I know it is not uncommon. But the idea of him being at peace is offensive. I was hoping he would be tormented for the rest of his miserable life. Perhaps I am just not enlightened. Yes, I want him to suffer. He is also flooded with women writing him. WTH?!!!
Old 14th July 2019, 01:18 PM   #2
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post

The monster who murdered his wife and young daughters, has found peace from God. It seems that God has forgiven him, and all is well.

I know it is not uncommon. But the idea of him being at peace is offensive. I was hoping he would be tormented for the rest of his miserable life. Perhaps I am just not enlightened. Yes, I want him to suffer. He is also flooded with women writing him. WTH?!!!
It's a pity he didn't read the Ten Commandments before breaking commandment number 6:

Quote:
Thou shalt not kill (LXX; οὐ φονεύσεις), You shall not murder (Hebrew: לֹא תִּרְצָח ; lo tirṣaḥ) or You shall not kill (KJV), is a moral imperative included as one of the Ten Commandments in the Torah.[1]

The imperative to not kill is in the context of unlawful killing resulting in bloodguilt.[2]
Old 14th July 2019, 01:32 PM   #3
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

He's serving three life sentences for murder. But having found God (behind the couch cushions??), he possibly thinks the state will go light on his punishment. No problem! You can get a discount for repenting killing your wife, buddy. But you still have two life sentences to go for strangling your daughters. Perhaps if you converted to Islam at the same time, that might help?

Rot In Peace.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 05:21 PM   #4
Samson
Philosopher

Finding God was famously unhelpful for Karla Faye Tucker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karla_Faye_Tucker

She was convicted of murder in Texas in 1984 and executed by lethal injection after 14 years on death row.[5] Due to her gender and widely publicized conversion to Christianity, she inspired an unusually large national and international movement that advocated the commutation of her sentence to life without parole, a movement that included a few foreign government officials.[6][7]
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 05:35 PM   #5
rdwight
Muse

Quote:
"There was this one church service — the only one I've gone to in here — and [the pastor] said you're not defined by one moment in your life. And I think people are defining me by one moment in my life. They don't know what happened before and what can happen later," he said.
If that one moment is you strangling your pregnant wife after she correctly accused you of cheating, and smothering your 3&4 year old daughters, why yes, yes it does.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2019, 05:39 PM   #6
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//slight hijack//

Even within the context it's being used in by the people using it "Found God" has always struck me as really, really weird way to phrase that concept.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 09:45 AM   #7
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Chris Watts has found God.
Did he find them in between his couch cushions? That's where I normally look if I want to find things I've lost.
Quote:

I know it is not uncommon. But the idea of him being at peace is offensive.
Well, to be honest there is probably a good chance that he never actually did 'find god'. He was probably quite content with the murders, and the whole 'find god' thing is just a ruse to garner sympathy.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by zooterkin; 19th July 2019 at 11:08 PM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2019, 10:20 AM   #8
SuburbanTurkey
Graduate Poster

meh.

Perhaps I would care about his personal beliefs if he were a prisoner that one day might re-enter society, but for someone with a life sentence, I can't really be bothered. He's not there to be reformed, he's there on storage until he dies.
Old 19th July 2019, 09:53 PM   #9
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I always liked the title of a Spaghetti Western...

God Forgives, I Don't.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th July 2019, 11:09 PM   #10
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
It's a pity he didn't read the Ten Commandments before breaking commandment number 6:
Or number 5 if he’s reading a Catholic bible.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2019, 04:41 AM   #11
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

He got religion and a lot of women want to be with him? Well that sounds like suffering to me
Old 20th July 2019, 04:55 AM   #12
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I always liked the title of a Spaghetti Western...

God Forgives, I Don't.
Lyle Lovett had a great song along those line, “God Will”.

https://youtu.be/Ugq0figw7k8

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors