ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 28th April 2019, 06:19 PM   #681
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I know that once he's embellished a story, the new details are now part of the narrative and will be endlessly repeated.

Unless his handlers manage to convince him that it's costing him core supporters.

In which case it never happened, he never said anything of the sort, and it's all lies by the evil, liberal, "enemy of the people", mainstream press.

Fake News.

(Pay no attention to those videos of it happening.)

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 06:25 PM   #682
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
He comes around every once in a while - confusing, isn't it? I suspect that Ivanka brought him around.
Doubtful. More likely than not he has responded to the current news cycle citing how dangerous the measles is. Had the news media not latched on, Trump would be anti-vaxxer business as usual.

Keep in mind that the news media's business as usual is to play up the controversy as if it were a real medical controversy.
Old 28th April 2019, 07:00 PM   #683
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Doubtful. More likely than not he has responded to the current news cycle citing how dangerous the measles is. Had the news media not latched on, Trump would be anti-vaxxer business as usual.

Keep in mind that the news media's business as usual is to play up the controversy as if it were a real medical controversy.
Let's see what he says after an anti-vaxxer speaks to him last. Trump usually echoes whatever the last person who spoke to him said.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 07:03 PM   #684
Venom
Master Poster

Hard to believe any skeptic in their right mind would vote for Donald Trump again at this point.

Outside of our forum bubble though a full 40% of people here still approve of the guy, and even if they don't all vote, there's no telling how many more will come back out of the woodwork after settling down after the 2016 election.

Democrats have to show up ugh I'm praying. And I haven't prayed in a while.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 07:13 PM   #685
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I appreciate people's posting links, but this is the 2nd one in a couple of days that goes back to something said/tweeted 2 years ago. Surely there's fresher material available?
If you follow to the end of the thread it goes through this year cataloging his toddler behavior. It passed 600 recently.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 07:20 PM   #686
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Wisconsin highlights what will likely prove to be a problem for Trump. He gets so high on the adoration of the mindless followers that he ramps up the hyperbole. As "Candidate Trump" a lot of what he said was dismissed as "campaign hype" or "obviously, he was joking".

As President Trump (gee it's hard to type that and hold down my breakfast) when he wants to hype his own importance he says things like that the transporting of illegals to sanctuary was "my sick idea". That's 'cuz he is getting a contact high from the oxy-riddled crowd and wants to give them some raw meat and show them he's a badass. The problem is, the policy was never implemented (we'd have seen footage of the busloads arriving, believe me) and his underlings proved Mueller correct... they ignore his whims. Sarah H-S will not address this if asked. He's taking credit for a policy that DHS/ICE has not implemented.

Yet there he is, in the safest conservative corner of Wisconsin* playing to the rubes and claiming that it's an active policy and "It Was My Sick Idea".

*Interesting how he always holds rallies, not in the biggest venues in a state, but in "sizable venues in safe red districts". In his several stops in the PA special election, I noticed that one rally was in a venue up near the airport. He didn't go down into the lunch bucket district at all. In Florida, his most "metro" rally, I believe was in Tampa. He doesn't go near Miami, Orlando or the Gold Coast, but stays on the panhandle. It's easier to paper the house in those areas, and all you get is a small handful of dedicated protesters.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 28th April 2019 at 07:21 PM.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 10:04 PM   #687
Venom
Master Poster

From Trump's Green Bay speech last Saturday:

Quote:
"Last month alone, 100,000 illegal immigrants arrived at our borders, placing a massive strain on communities and schools and hospitals and public resources like nobody's ever seen before.
Now we’re sending many of them to sanctuary cities. Thank you very much. They're not too happy about it. I’m proud to tell you that was actually my sick idea."
If he's supposed to protect the American people, what do his supporters think he's doing here?

What a jackass.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th April 2019, 11:20 PM   #688
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
If you follow to the end of the thread it goes through this year cataloging his toddler behavior. It passed 600 recently.
There are days when I find myself wondering if POTUS is going to call someone a poopyhead.
Old 28th April 2019, 11:52 PM   #689
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
There are days when I find myself wondering if POTUS is going to call someone a poopyhead.
Alas...

He has already called some African and other nations ****-hole countries.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 12:15 AM   #690
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
If he's supposed to protect the American people, what do his supporters think he's doing here?
Taking a page from Alinsky, and making his opponents live by their own rules.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 03:26 AM   #691
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

From Trump's Green Bay speech last Saturday:

What a jackass.
His supporters don't want him to protect the American people, they want him to punish everyone who isn't them. They see the world as 'us vs them' and half of America as 'them'.
Old 29th April 2019, 03:27 AM   #692
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
If we’re lucky, Congress will make Trump live by his own rules or, at least, the ones he swore to uphold and protect.

You used to care about presidential lies. What happened to your own rules? What has changed, I wonde(R)?
Old 29th April 2019, 04:15 AM   #693
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Maybe it's merely there as an example of possible reasons for impeachment. There's precedent: I believe some Supreme Court Justices (I am thinking specifically of Scalia) have concluded that the "Well Regulated Militia" clause of the Second Amendment is "mere surplusage".

And here's a copy of the US Constitution. I can't seem to find the word "only" in Article 2 to which you refer. Can you point it out for me?

https://constitutionus.com/
Yep like the text about states having a republic as a government totally irrelevant wordage that is meaningless, like most of the 1st amendment as well as the entire 4th.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 04:18 AM   #694
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Hard to believe any skeptic in their right mind would vote for Donald Trump again at this point.

Outside of our forum bubble though a full 40% of people here still approve of the guy, and even if they don't all vote, there's no telling how many more will come back out of the woodwork after settling down after the 2016 election.

Democrats have to show up ugh I'm praying. And I haven't prayed in a while.
Depends on what you mean by "skeptic".

The Youtube "skeptic" community is pretty much alt-light by now. Of course, they aren't really skeptical of much at all, but they do like to laugh at theists, feminists and leftists being "unskeptical".

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 04:32 AM   #695
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
The Youtube "skeptic" community is pretty much alt-light by now. Of course, they aren't really skeptical of much at all, but they do like to laugh at theists, feminists and leftists being "unskeptical".
I have long since given up any hope of finding skeptics on YouTube other than those I know from here and Apollohoax.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 05:35 AM   #696
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
His supporters don't want him to protect the American people, they want him to punish everyone who isn't them. They see the world as 'us vs them' and half of America as 'them'.
“I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

(NYTimes link - so have fun dodging their monthly article count)

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Depends on what you mean by "skeptic".

Well, most of the so-called "skeptics" on Youtube, including the most popular ones, have been trash for years now, if they weren't trash right from the start. Thunderf00t's still okay when he isn't obsessing over feminism, and he (and Cult of Dusty) pretty much bailed when the rest started backing Dolt 45 and his anti-science idiot pack, and giggling at dead children.

Last edited by Mumbles; 29th April 2019 at 05:43 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 05:49 AM   #697
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Not to split hairs, but many of the folks you are talking about believe that punishing people of color, homosexuals, and abortion advocates is protecting the American people.

I’ll leave to those more knowledgeable to determine if their acceptance of punishing that group is based on tho idea that those deserving punishment are not full Americans or are not full people.

Now that I think about it, I am quite surprised that no one has suggested resurrecting the 3/5 rule. And not just for census purposes, but also voting-rights purposes. And I guess minimum wage laws?
Old 29th April 2019, 06:20 AM   #698
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Can you explain the Alinsky connection there?
Old 29th April 2019, 06:21 AM   #699
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Everything connects to the boogeymen!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 06:24 AM   #700
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Well, most of the so-called "skeptics" on Youtube, including the most popular ones, have been trash for years now, if they weren't trash right from the start.
I personally suspect that's because youtubing and the comment section format is basically the most anti-skepticism form of communication imaginable.
Old 29th April 2019, 06:31 AM   #701
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I think I spotted a problem.
Old 29th April 2019, 06:52 AM   #702
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The NRA is under siege by Cuomo and the New York State A.G., who are illegally using the State’s legal apparatus to take down and destroy this very important organization, & others. It must get its act together quickly, stop the internal fighting, & get back to GREATNESS - FAST!....

....People are fleeing New York State because of high taxes and yes, even oppression of sorts. They didn’t even put up a fight against SALT - could have won. So much litigation. The NRA should leave and fight from the outside of this very difficult to deal with (unfair) State!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 06:53 AM   #703
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Rule #4: "Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules."

Whether or not Trump is familiar with the book, that's what he's doing.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 07:51 AM   #704
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I’ll never get the support of Dues Crazy union leadership, those people who rip-off their membership with ridiculously high dues, medical and other expenses while being paid a fortune. But the members love Trump. They look at our record economy, tax & reg cuts, military etc. WIN!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 07:52 AM   #705
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The Firefighter's Union just endorsed Biden.
Old 29th April 2019, 07:53 AM   #706
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Media (Fake News) is pushing Sleepy Joe hard. Funny, I’m only here because of Biden & Obama. They didn’t do the job and now you have Trump, who is getting it done - big time!

Sleepy Joe Biden is having his first rally in the Great State of Pennsylvania. He obviously doesn’t know that Pennsylvania is having one of the best economic years in its history, with lowest unemployment EVER, a now thriving Steel Industry (that was dead) & great future!........

The Dues Sucking firefighters leadership will always support Democrats, even though the membership wants me. Some things never change!
Old 29th April 2019, 07:56 AM   #707
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Biden and he's polling way ahead of Trump in Pennsylvania at the moment.
Old 29th April 2019, 07:57 AM   #708
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Rule #4: "Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules."

Whether or not Trump is familiar with the book, that's what he's doing.
He's relentlessly lying in order to force them to tell the truth? Or something else? I can't make much sense of your claim, so maybe you could give a fuller explanation.
Old 29th April 2019, 08:00 AM   #709
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Can you tell me where, specifically, he is doing this? Looks to me like it's just more of the usual lies.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 08:00 AM   #710
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

The Media (Fake News) is pushing Sleepy Joe hard. Funny, I’m only here because of Biden & Obama. They didn’t do the job and now you have Trump, who is getting it done - big time!

Sleepy Joe Biden is having his first rally in the Great State of Pennsylvania. He obviously doesn’t know that Pennsylvania is having one of the best economic years in its history, with lowest unemployment EVER, a now thriving Steel Industry (that was dead) & great future!........

The Dues Sucking firefighters leadership will always support Democrats, even though the membership wants me. Some things never change!
Didn't he already name someone else "sleepy" something or another? Wasn't it Ben Carson? He's even getting lazy in his name calling.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 29th April 2019 at 08:14 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 08:04 AM   #711
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Didn't he already name someone else "sleepy" something or another. Wasn't it Ben Carson? He's even getting lazy in his name calling.
I definitely recall "Sleepy Eyes" Chuck Todd.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 08:11 AM   #712
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not saying you don't have a point, but there's something a bit off when one complains that the other side always see the world as us vs. them.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 08:17 AM   #713
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I'm not saying you don't have a point, but there's something a bit off when one complains that the other side always see the world as us vs. them.
Only if you assume that one doesn't see "the other side" as a subset of "us" rather than as a subset of "them".
Old 29th April 2019, 08:19 AM   #714
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Yeah, it's annoying the reporter didn't ask who the person was referring to.
Old 29th April 2019, 08:19 AM   #715
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The New York Times has apologized for the terrible Anti-Semitic Cartoon, but they haven’t apologized to me for this or all of the Fake and Corrupt news they print on a daily basis. They have reached the lowest level of “journalism,” and certainly a low point in @nytimes history!
Old 29th April 2019, 08:22 AM   #716
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I'm still expecting him to call Mayor Pete the candidate "Peter Booty-Judge". But he's probably not even on The PDJT's radar yet.

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Didn't he already name someone else "sleepy" something or another? Wasn't it Ben Carson? He's even getting lazy in his name calling.
I think what he really wants to call Biden is "Sloppy Joe".

Last edited by alfaniner; 29th April 2019 at 08:24 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 08:26 AM   #717
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Make Wisconsin Farmers Great Again!

From: https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/...ce-extinction/
During the past two years, nearly 1,200 of the state’s dairy farms have stopped milking cows; and this year, another 212 have disappeared...Trump’s trade approach has pushed many of Wisconsin’s struggling dairy farmers to the edge.... Trump’s sweeping tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum, which were intended to help U.S. manufacturers but have set off retaliatory tariffs from Mexico, Canada, Europe and China on U.S. dairy products.

A few notes:

- Trump's trade war is not the only reason for farmers to be struggling. (They have had to deal with lower prices too.) But for many it may be the straw that breaks the camel's back

- Not really sure how much sympathy to have for the farmers. Granted, we can't tell how each individual farmer voted, but overall Trump's support was higher in rural areas, so the farmers that are suffering may have brought the problems on themselves.

- Given how narrow Trump's win was in Wisconsin, not sure he can afford to be losing that many votes in the state

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 08:37 AM   #718
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
It's worth revisiting this Adam Serwer essay again, "The Cruelty is the Point."
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 08:45 AM   #719
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Make Wisconsin Farmers Great Again!

From: https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/...ce-extinction/
During the past two years, nearly 1,200 of the state’s dairy farms have stopped milking cows; and this year, another 212 have disappeared...Trump’s trade approach has pushed many of Wisconsin’s struggling dairy farmers to the edge.... Trump’s sweeping tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum, which were intended to help U.S. manufacturers but have set off retaliatory tariffs from Mexico, Canada, Europe and China on U.S. dairy products.

A few notes:

- Trump's trade war is not the only reason for farmers to be struggling. (They have had to deal with lower prices too.) But for many it may be the straw that breaks the camel's back

- Not really sure how much sympathy to have for the farmers. Granted, we can't tell how each individual farmer voted, but overall Trump's support was higher in rural areas, so the farmers that are suffering may have brought the problems on themselves.

- Given how narrow Trump's win was in Wisconsin, not sure he can afford to be losing that many votes in the state
The company I work for uses fleet vehicles and sometimes I forget my headphones, which then requires me to listen to talk radio (The only stations in NoDak are talk radio or country, and I hate country). So I've been hearing a bit of the voices from people in Rural North Dakota, and it hasn't been very positive. Soy beans, and several other crops have gone untouched, and it's starting to make even the most hard core Trump supporters question those moves. I was shocked when I first heard a few callers make noise about it.

They'll vote for him again, because there's no way they'll vote Dem, but they do recognize he sucks at certain things. I call that a slight win.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 29th April 2019 at 09:36 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th April 2019, 08:53 AM   #720
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Migrants, Farmers:

https://images.csmonitor.com/csm/201...dard_900x600nc

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics