ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 30th April 2019, 04:51 AM   #761
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Newsweek goes full Godwin*:

https://www.newsweek.com/hitler-inco...pinion-1408136

*To be fair, Trump isn’t mentioned once. So why does this seem so timely?
Old 30th April 2019, 05:09 AM   #762
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

It is uncanny, and I think quite deliberate, how closely this matches Trump.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 06:11 AM   #763
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
It is uncanny, and I think quite deliberate, how closely this matches Trump.
You want uncanny? I've got some uncanny for you: A historian's description of Kaiser Wilhelm:

Originally Posted by Historian
superficial, hasty, restless, unable to relax, without any deeper level of seriousness, without any desire for hard work or drive to see things through to the end, without any sense of sobriety, for balance and boundaries, or even for reality and real problems, uncontrollable and scarcely capable of learning from experience, desperate for applause and success,— he wanted every day to be his birthday— theatrical, unsure and arrogant, with an immeasurably exaggerated self-confidence and desire to show off, brashly wanted to play the part of the supreme warlord, full of panicky fear
Old 30th April 2019, 09:15 AM   #764
Doubt
Philosopher

Emperor Commodus also comes to mind here.

Detroit, Mexico, Detroit, Mexico....
Repeat for all of 2017 except when on vacation.
Doubt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 09:49 AM   #765
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Is there something wrong with Trump's back?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5LYuesW4AMo8ga.jpg
It's the lifts in his shoes pitching him forward.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 09:51 AM   #766
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Sometimes the classics never go out of style...

https://www.inquisitr.com/5414654/tr...ews-interview/
In a telephone interview airing Monday morning on Fox Business, President Donald Trump refused to hang up the phone even after Fox anchor Maria Bartiromo apparently attempted to end the interview five times in six minutes.

The same thing happened about a year ago, when Trump called in to Fox & Friends, and the hosts tried to end the call while Trump rambled on.

All this shows a few things:
- That Fox News is largely a propaganda arm of Trump and the republicans.

- Trump far too much free time, if he can go on these long rants

- Trump lacks the ability to pick up even the smallest social cues.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 10:04 AM   #767
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

A little good news for those hoping for Trump to be defeated in 2020...

From: https://www.politicususa.com/2019/04...nomy-poll.html
12% of Americans say that their family has benefited a great deal from recent growth in the U.S. economy and another 31% say they have received some benefit from the economic upturn. A majority, though, say they have been helped either not much (27%) or not at all (27%) from the nation’s macroeconomic growth.

Why its relevant... one of the common claims is that a president's chance of reelection is largely due to how well they handle the economy. But with so many people saying they "haven't been helped", perhaps the link between economic success=electorial success may be broken.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 11:05 AM   #768
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

We have 1,800 ISIS Prisoners taken hostage in our final battles to destroy 100% of the Caliphate in Syria. Decisions are now being made as to what to do with these dangerous prisoners....

....European countries are not helping at all, even though this was very much done for their benefit. They are refusing to take back prisoners from their specific countries. Not good!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 11:10 AM   #769
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

China is adding great stimulus to its economy while at the same time keeping interest rates low. Our Federal Reserve has incessantly lifted interest rates, even though inflation is very low, and instituted a very big dose of quantitative tightening. We have the potential to go...

....up like a rocket if we did some lowering of rates, like one point, and some quantitative easing. Yes, we are doing very well at 3.2% GDP, but with our wonderfully low inflation, we could be setting major records &, at the same time, make our National Debt start to look small!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 11:20 AM   #770
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I don't understand why Trump is suing Deutsche Bank and Capitol One. The government issued them a subpoena. Their proper action for them is to fulfill the subpoena But Trump is suing them. I don't get it.
Old 30th April 2019, 11:25 AM   #771
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
You want uncanny? I've got some uncanny for you: A historian's description of Kaiser Wilhelm:
Add also, from the article in Newsweek:

Quote:
...deeply insecure about his own lack of knowledge, preferring to either ignore information that contradicted his preconceptions, or to lash out at the expertise of others. He hated being laughed at, but enjoyed it when other people were the butt of the joke (he would perform mocking impressions of people he disliked).
You're very lucky Trump's an American patriot and not a German.
Old 30th April 2019, 11:30 AM   #772
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't understand why Trump is suing Deutsche Bank and Capitol One. The government issued them a subpoena. Their proper action for them is to fulfill the subpoena But Trump is suing them. I don't get it.

Lawsuits are his default response to everything that upsets him. That's why he was talking about relaxing libel laws to make it easier to sue the media.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 12:01 PM   #773
Belz...
Fiend God

Neither does Trump.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 12:03 PM   #774
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

The funny thing is, a number of years ago I was researching a business lawsuit that grew out of an incident in the U.S. in which an American railroad sustained several millions of dollars in damage caused by the actions of employees of the German Government. The railroad had to go to international court to get a damage award, which they ultimately succeeded in doing. Then, just as the company was about to collect, Hitler came to power. He refused to allow the payment to go forward. He claimed the incident was -- I'm trying not to use the word 'hoax' -- well, Adolph felt that the U.S. railroad was exaggerating a tad. The H man also claimed that the international court had been prejudiced against Germany. The Third Reich asked to appeal the judgment and the international court agreed. However, the evidence the 'new' German government tried to introduce seemed flimsy in the extreme. When Germany lost the appeal, Hitler announced, essentially, "So vot? Ve don't pay anyvay. Ha, ha. Ya!" I remember being astonished at how -- as a government official -- Hitler seemed moronic. This was in the lateish 1930s. I remember thinking, this is the guy the German people believed in? They united behind this guy in a bid to takeover most of the world? With this fool leading the way? You didn't have to know anything about history to know this was not going to end well, that's for sure.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 12:09 PM   #775
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Lawsuits are his default response to everything that upsets him. That's why he was talking about relaxing libel laws to make it easier to sue the media.
I almost wish he would succeed in doing so. Given the fact that Trump regularly lies and insults people, I'm assuming the person who would be the most affected (by being sued) would be Trump himself.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 30th April 2019, 12:26 PM   #776
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It turns out both banks are still going to respond to the subpoenas because they acknowledge that they have a legal obligation to do so. Trump must think the US House of Representatives is just some Joe Schmoe that he can stop with an absurd lawsuit. Really bizarre.
Old 30th April 2019, 12:32 PM   #777
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

In Trump's limited vocabulary and understanding of legal issues, "suing" is likely all he knows. Could be his attorneys took some other action to block the subpoenas.

Or it could be he's simply making it up, threatening to sue because that suits his fantasy.
Old 30th April 2019, 12:36 PM   #778
Bob001
Philosopher

Quote:
I remember being astonished at how -- as a government official -- Hitler seemed moronic. This was in the lateish 1930s. I remember thinking, this is the guy the German people believed in? They united behind this guy in a bid to takeover most of the world? With this fool leading the way? You didn't have to know anything about history to know this was not going to end well, that's for sure.
I'm no great historian, but it has always astonished me that the entire Nazi era lasted just 12 years. Germany went from peaceful democracy (more or less) to world war in six years. Bad things can happen fast.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 12:54 PM   #779
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The funny thing is, a number of years ago I was researching a business lawsuit that grew out of an incident in the U.S. in which an American railroad sustained several millions of dollars in damage caused by the actions of employees of the German Government. The railroad had to go to international court to get a damage award, which they ultimately succeeded in doing. Then, just as the company was about to collect, Hitler came to power. He refused to allow the payment to go forward. He claimed the incident was -- I'm trying not to use the word 'hoax' -- well, Adolph felt that the U.S. railroad was exaggerating a tad. The H man also claimed that the international court had been prejudiced against Germany. The Third Reich asked to appeal the judgment and the international court agreed. However, the evidence the 'new' German government tried to introduce seemed flimsy in the extreme. When Germany lost the appeal, Hitler announced, essentially, "So vot? Ve don't pay anyvay. Ha, ha. Ya!" I remember being astonished at how -- as a government official -- Hitler seemed moronic. This was in the lateish 1930s. I remember thinking, this is the guy the German people believed in? They united behind this guy in a bid to takeover most of the world? With this fool leading the way? You didn't have to know anything about history to know this was not going to end well, that's for sure.
Of course he was a moron he wanted to invade Switzerland, the nation that requires all civil engineers to make plans and place explosives to blow up their own bridges before they will allow them to be built. So after the Swiss bled him whiter he would end up with Switzerland, for all the good that would do him, clearly cheese must have been an important strategic reserve way more important than oil or such nonsense.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 12:59 PM   #780
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I'm no great historian, but it has always astonished me that the entire Nazi era lasted just 12 years. Germany went from peaceful democracy (more or less) to world war in six years. Bad things can happen fast.
Very fast. The Reichstag fire happened 4 weeks after Hitler was sworn in. The day after civil liberties such as freedom of speech, press and to assemble as well as habeas corpus were suspended. They were never restored.

I've read at least a dozen books on Hitler and the Third Reich. Trump isn't another Hitler and the US is not the Weimar Republic. But there are things Trump does and has done that are reminiscent of Hitler. I'll start actually get nervous it the courts side with Trump over the House and its subpoena power.
Old 30th April 2019, 01:22 PM   #781
Armitage72
Master Poster

I posted this in the National Emergency thread, but it works here too.

People talk about running the country like it's a business, and now Trump has come up with the idea to charge a fee to apply for asylum.

Quote:
President Donald Trump on Monday evening proposed sweeping changes to how the US treats asylum-seekers, including charging fees to file asylum applications and limiting access to work permits.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 01:28 PM   #782
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Add also, from the article in Newsweek:

You're very lucky Trump's an American patriot and not a German.
No, it's the Germans who are lucky that he is not German.
Old 30th April 2019, 01:54 PM   #783
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

China is adding great stimulus to its economy while at the same time keeping interest rates low. Our Federal Reserve has incessantly lifted interest rates, even though inflation is very low, and instituted a very big dose of quantitative tightening. We have the potential to go...

....up like a rocket if we did some lowering of rates, like one point, and some quantitative easing. Yes, we are doing very well at 3.2% GDP, but with our wonderfully low inflation, we could be setting major records &, at the same time, make our National Debt start to look small!
DEFINITELY not Trump typing.

He could not spell "quantitative" correctly once, let alone twice. He would not use the word "instituted" in that context. And the tweets are about stuff he has rigourously demonstrated he has no obvious grasp of, yet the wording and concepts seem fairly cogent. Yet there are still some Trumpian grammar fails in it.

I suspect he has made a draft tweet and someone else with English language skills and some relevant subject matter knowledge has edited it for him. Who is left in the WH who meets those criteria?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 02:20 PM   #784
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
DEFINITELY not Trump typing.

He could not spell "quantitative" correctly once, let alone twice. He would not use the word "instituted" in that context. And the tweets are about stuff he has rigourously demonstrated he has no obvious grasp of, yet the wording and concepts seem fairly cogent. Yet there are still some Trumpian grammar fails in it.

I suspect he has made a draft tweet and someone else with English language skills and some relevant subject matter knowledge has edited it for him. Who is left in the WH who meets those criteria?
Can you imagine the challenge for whoever writes these: "You have to write it as Trump would, except coherent, not insane, and with some meaningful content." Sure...
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 02:25 PM   #785
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I am monitoring the situation in Venezuela very closely. The United States stands with the People of Venezuela and their Freedom!

If Cuban Troops and Militia do not immediately CEASE military and other operations for the purpose of causing death and destruction to the Constitution of Venezuela, a full and complete....

....embargo, together with highest-level sanctions, will be placed on the island of Cuba. Hopefully, all Cuban soldiers will promptly and peacefully return to their island!
Old 30th April 2019, 02:32 PM   #786
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Brilliant.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 02:43 PM   #787
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Germany was in a desperate state before Hitler's rise to power. People have an instinct that a strong man can magically fix things. This instinct must go back to our tribal roots.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 04:10 PM   #788
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Kaiser Bill is defiantly a better comparsion to Trump then Der Fuhrer.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 04:11 PM   #789
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am monitoring the situation in Venezuela very closely. The United States stands with the People of Venezuela and their Freedom!

If Cuban Troops and Militia do not immediately CEASE military and other operations for the purpose of causing death and destruction to the Constitution of Venezuela, a full and complete....

....embargo, together with highest-level sanctions, will be placed on the island of Cuba. Hopefully, all Cuban soldiers will promptly and peacefully return to their island!
Translation: I want the Cuban exile vote in Florida really bad next year.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 04:13 PM   #790
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

More like ten years;if there had been no great depression there would have been no Hitler.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 30th April 2019, 04:14 PM   #791
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Translation: I want the Cuban exile vote in Florida really bad next year.
And large corporate donations from companies that want Maduro out.
Old 30th April 2019, 04:17 PM   #792
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
And large corporate donations from companies that want Maduro out.
Oh,yeah, the Maduro/Chavez regime has done such a great job with Venezuela's economy.
I don't like dictators or any flavor, left or right.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 30th April 2019, 05:16 PM   #793
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Oh,yeah, the Maduro/Chavez regime has done such a great job with Venezuela's economy.
I don't like dictators or any flavor, left or right.
While I don't disagree, I also don't know if we are getting the full story.

How much of the bad economy was from sanctions and other moves against the regimes?

What was the actual election result.

Is this one of those all the rich people in the country lost out and all the poor people gained just like Castro's Cuba?

I don't know these answers. I do know we don't get honest information in this land of the free press.
Old 30th April 2019, 05:25 PM   #794
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I found this a few months ago when I was looking into the situation: Business Insider: Venezuela is handing over oil fields to private companies for the first time since the 1990s

But I can see why certain oil company players wouldn't be satisfied with it:
Quote:
Most, Reuters reports, are oilfield service providers, which means they don’t necessarily have oil production experience. Five of them are Venezuelan, one is based in Panama, and one is Chinese. According to the draft contract, in addition to the fees they receive for the oil they produce, the companies will also be reimbursed for the investments they make in the fields. Can the plan work?
It wasn't them that stood to gain.
Old 30th April 2019, 06:26 PM   #795
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Is this one of those all the rich people in the country lost out and all the poor people gained just like Castro's Cuba?
It's adorable that you think this describes what Castro did.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 06:42 PM   #796
Bob001
Philosopher

I don't know these answers. I do know we don't get honest information in this land of the free press.
By "honest information," do you mean actual facts, or do you just mean propaganda that supports your preconceptions? Venezuela has some of the biggest oil reserves in the world, and for some time it was a wealthy, stable democracy. Oil price fluctuations and extreme mismanagement by a succession of left-wing presidents wrecked it.

A short recent history:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/30/w...&region=Footer

And of course there's always Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venezuela

And many would not agree that Castro was the savior of Cuba's poor.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th April 2019, 11:36 PM   #797
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Venezuela is more a showcase for state-run economies that buy voting blocks using crony capitalism and statism. If 25% of GDP and 90% of exports are in the hands of inept kleptocrats, you get Venezuela. Same more or less for Russia. Or Saudi Arabia. The country could use a complete reboot with new elections.

Latin America in general has swung between unfettered exploitation by hard right and extreme left for a long time. The only time to cheer is when the pendulum is temporary in the middle. Tough neighborhood, made tougher by constant meddling by successive American administrations. One note of interest: Brazil's Lula is in jail for forms of campaign financing that are completely legal in the US, where unlimited contributions by single individuals fits right in with the culture's growing hero and strongman worship.
Old 1st May 2019, 03:30 AM   #798
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I’ve done more for Firefighters than this dues sucking union will ever do, and I get paid ZERO!
Old 1st May 2019, 03:35 AM   #799
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump Tweets

I’ve done more for Firefighters than this dues sucking union will ever do, and I get paid ZERO!
yep.
remember all the times he torched his failed projects for the insurance money?
Firefighters would be out of work without him.
Old 1st May 2019, 03:50 AM   #800
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

A sample of the dozens of posts Trump Retweeted today.

David Paradis
@dpparadis123
Replying to @dbongino My neighbor is a fireman and he loves trump

Tom
@icemanTom
I’m a firefighter and I don’t endorse Joe Biden My vote goes to President Donald Trump!!!!

Ro
@ro18007212
I have fire fighter friends and they support Trump.

Kevin Nash
@TheKevinNash61
I'm a Firefighter. We are all pissed about this. I have withdrawn my support for firePAC

Mitch Joseph
@mitchraider60
How any firefighter in NY can support any Dem is disgusting after DiBlasio went to the G2 last year to rip our great POTUS instead of a firefighters funeral who died on the job. #stopthehypocracy #Trump2020LandSlide

Jimmy Mac
@JimmyMac233
·
Apr 29
Replying to
@dbongino
NYC FD inions haven’t made a peep but the known rank and file are Trump guys.

Tim Gatto
@G4TTO21
My father is a fireman and his entire firehouse loves Trump

.w.Elliott
@CwElliott2
·
Apr 29
Replying to
@dbongino
A bunch of us have been talking, and this is just the DNC buying and paying for the voice of the fat cat leaders of the IAFF Union. C.W. Elliott, DCFD/EMS, retired 3/3/99.”Four More Years”

Wade Ross
@wadar1969
The union bureaucrats endorse him but the due paying members don’t, and they wonder why unions are getting smaller and smaller

Jeffrey Stewart
@JeffreyKStewart
Just the union leadership supports Biden. Members support Trump. This applies to most unions.

clint welborn
@clintwelborn1
Happy im not a member of IAFF

Michael W. Canterbury
@mw_canterbury
This is why lawsuits are going to be presented by union members because of misrepresentation by the top echelon of these unions!!!

Kathryn Shafer
@kshaferus
Liberal lies. Why would the military or emergency workers support a candidate who party disrespects everything about their cause??? Trump 2020
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics