ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:06 AM   #841
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Retweeted

Kenneth P. Vogel
‏Verified account
@kenvogel

NEW: The BIDENS are entangled in a Ukrainian corruption scandal:
@JoeBiden pushed Ukraine to fire a prosecutor seen as corrupt.
BUT the prosecutor had opened a case into a company that was paying HUNTER BIDEN.
The Bidens say they never discussed it.
JUST POSTED: @RudyGiuliani solicited information from Ukrainian officials that he intended to use to undermine the MUELLER report, & to try to damage @JoeBiden.
Rudy briefed TRUMP on the effort.
Now both are suggesting @TheJusticeDept should investigate.
Kenneth Vogel is doing some amazing both sides tweeting. Both the tweet Trump retweeted and that one go to the same story.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:16 AM   #842
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
A true crime syndicate. They just can't stop themselves.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:17 AM   #843
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
A true crime syndicate. They just can't stop themselves.
How is that criminal?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:21 AM   #844
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
How is that criminal?
I didn't say it was. I'm saying that they are behaving like a crime syndicate. Doesn't mean everything they do is a crime, but they sure seem to take every crooked road they find.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:35 AM   #845
autumn1971
Master Poster

I didn't say it was. I'm saying that they are behaving like a crime syndicate. Doesn't mean everything they do is a crime, but they sure seem to take every crooked road they find.
Well they’re really old and out of shape. The steps to the high roads are all scumbag-inaccessible.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 08:48 AM   #846
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Well they’re really old and out of shape. The steps to the high roads are all scumbag-inaccessible.
When in a deep swamp, it's hard to slither to the high ground.

Old 2nd May 2019, 08:53 AM   #847
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
When in a deep swamp, it's hard to slither to the high ground.
Ironically enough, the only real way to do it is to drain the swamp first.

Old 2nd May 2019, 09:36 AM   #848
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Steve Moore, a great pro-growth economist and a truly fine person, has decided to withdraw from the Fed process. Steve won the battle of ideas including Tax Cuts....

....and deregulation which have produced non-inflationary prosperity for all Americans. I’ve asked Steve to work with me toward future economic growth in our Country.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:21 AM   #849
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

You called them a "true crime syndicate". Not much of one, if their actions aren't actually criminal.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:29 AM   #850
autumn1971
Master Poster

You called them a "true crime syndicate". Not much of one, if their actions aren't actually criminal.
Ya know, if you just ignore all of the convictions and indictments and sealed indictments.

He truly is your God Emperor.

Only from Him does truth flow
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 10:34 AM   #851
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
But it doesn't make any attempt to disguise the fact that it is from the Republican Party.

At the top it says "Commissioned by the Republican Party". In the third paragraph it says "In order to build the data models to target voters in San Diego and help ensure President Trump's re-election..." The fifth paragraph contains more "to help the GOP win" language and so on. The bottom paragraph on the first page explains what the donations are for and that is to "re-elect President Trump and Republicans at all levels of government".

There is no way it can be described as a scam. It's completely open about the fact it is a census being done by the Republican Party who are also collecting the money.
So why use the ruse in the first place?

Because their target market is elderly and otherwise easily confused people.
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:13 AM   #852
Belz...
Fiend God

Their actions truly are criminal. Just not necessarily this one.

Although using foreign contacts to undermine your department of justice might not be entirely legal, either.

Old 2nd May 2019, 11:20 AM   #853
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Their actions truly are criminal. Just not necessarily this one.

Although using foreign contacts to undermine your department of justice might not be entirely legal, either.
I'd love to hear your theory of how that works.
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:22 AM   #854
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Ya know, if you just ignore all of the convictions and indictments and sealed indictments.

How many of them are for crimes committed as part of the Trump campaign or administration?
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:23 AM   #855
Belz...
Fiend God

I'd love to hear your theory of how that works.
Didn't I just explain it? Undermining the special counsel could be obstruction of justice.

Sounds pretty simple to me.

Old 2nd May 2019, 11:29 AM   #856
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Amazing how all the indictments, guilty pleas and convictions at the Trump top are forgotten again and again. One might believe that brain wiping device from Men in Black were based on a real device.
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:39 AM   #857
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't I just explain it? Undermining the special counsel could be obstruction of justice.

Sounds pretty simple to me.
The claim was that Giuliani wanted to "undermine" the Mueller report. But the report is written when the special counsel's investigative work is done. Absent time travel, a response to the report cannot possibly interfere with the investigation. Furthermore, "undermine" is a fairly broad term. Swaying public opinion against Mueller, no matter when it's done, is not obstruction, and criminalizing such activity would violate both the first amendment and basic concepts of fairness. So how does talking to the Ukrainians constitute obstruction of justice, which is a much more narrowly defined crime? I don't see that it does, and calling it simple isn't close to a sufficient answer.
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:05 PM   #858
Belz...
Fiend God

The claim was that Giuliani wanted to "undermine" the Mueller report.
You are correct. My bad. However, undermining a report from your own justice people using foreign help is, at the very least dodgy, and at worst, still obstruction. As you noted, it depends what was intended by "undermine", though given the people involved, I'm inclined to assume the worst.

Old 2nd May 2019, 12:13 PM   #859
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So why use the ruse in the first place?

Because their target market is elderly and otherwise easily confused people.
Of course their target is elderly and otherwise easily confused people. It said it was for Republicans, didn't it? The party of the elderly and the easily confused.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:27 PM   #860
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

You are correct. My bad. However, undermining a report from your own justice people using foreign help is, at the very least dodgy
If the information Giuliani was seeking was true, and if it was obtained legally, then how is it dodgy to obtain and disseminate it? Does the truth become dodgy if used in the service of something you don't like?
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:29 PM   #861
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
If the money ends up in GOP or Trump Campaign coffers, then it's not a scam, it's much worse.
This kind of worse?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/forei...b0913d078e228d
Old 2nd May 2019, 01:03 PM   #862
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
No, because unlike Seniors, they can afford it.
Old 2nd May 2019, 01:55 PM   #863
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Trump Tweets

I am overriding the Decommission Order of the magnificent aircraft carrier Harry S. Truman, built in 1998 (fairly new), and considered one of the largest and finest in the world. It will be updated at a fraction of the cost of a new one (which also are being built)!
in other words - he is doing nothing.

The Pentagon is considering the decommissioning for 2024 and in light of that possibility is wondering about how many upgrades are still worth doing.
Is it fair to point out that the plan to decommission the Truman came from the Trump administration in the first place?

Trump's team makes a bad plan, then makes a big deal when they correct their own mistakes.

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/20...ad-on-arrival/

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 02:10 PM   #864
Belz...
Fiend God

If the information Giuliani was seeking was true, and if it was obtained legally, then how is it dodgy to obtain and disseminate it? Does the truth become dodgy if used in the service of something you don't like?
It has nothing to do with me liking it or not, but thanks for the personal comment.

To answer your first question, it's like a prosecutor obtaining evidence illegally and by violating the defendant's rights. If the information is true and leads to a conviction, it's all ok, right?

Old 2nd May 2019, 02:26 PM   #865
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The mailing may or may not have been legal, but was clearly unethical. And telling the guy on the phone that his mother would face legal action if she didn't send it in with the money has got to be over the line.
Old 2nd May 2019, 02:30 PM   #866
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Is it fair to point out that the plan to decommission the Truman came from the Trump administration in the first place?

Trump's team makes a bad plan, then makes a big deal when they correct their own mistakes.

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/20...ad-on-arrival/
Man, I love to hear what Harry Truman would have had to say about Trump.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 02:44 PM   #867
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Of course their target is elderly and otherwise easily confused people. It said it was for Republicans, didn't it? The party of the elderly and the easily confused.
Old 2nd May 2019, 02:54 PM   #868
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

It has nothing to do with me liking it or not, but thanks for the personal comment.

To answer your first question, it's like a prosecutor obtaining evidence illegally and by violating the defendant's rights. If the information is true and leads to a conviction, it's all ok, right?
It was a generic "you", there was nothing personal about it. I also specified legally obtained information (there is no allegation that Giuliani obtained anything illegally). And whose rights are getting violated here?
Old 2nd May 2019, 03:03 PM   #869
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

If the money ends up in GOP or Trump Campaign coffers, then it's not a scam, it's much worse.
You can't do party business using the authority of Congress. It's corrupt. Politicians are pushing that boundary in Australia too. It breaks some of the fundamental rules of democracy.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 03:49 PM   #870
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

As we unite on this day of prayer, we renew our resolve to protect communities of faith – and ensure that ALL of our people can live, pray and worship IN PEACE. #NationalDayOfPrayer

On this day of prayer, we once again place our hopes in the hands of our Creator. We give thanks for this wondrous land of liberty, & we pray that THIS nation – OUR home – these United States – will forever be strengthened by the Goodness and the Grace & the eternal GLORY OF GOD!

Congrats to @U_S_Steel for investing $1+ BILLION in America's most INNOVATIVE steel mill. 232 Tariffs make Pennsylvania and USA more prosperous/secure by bringing Steel and Aluminum industries BACK. Tariffs are working. Pittsburgh is again The Steel City. USA Economy is BOOMING!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 2nd May 2019 at 03:52 PM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 04:16 PM   #871
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Sounds good, as long as you aren't praying to Allah, or Buddah, or any of the other myriad non-fundy-Christian gods out there.
Old 2nd May 2019, 04:18 PM   #872
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Sounds good, as long as you aren't praying to Allah, or Buddah, or any of the other myriad non-fundy-Christian gods out there.
Catholics aren't going to have a good time either one the others are out of the way.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:10 PM   #873
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Catholics aren't going to have a good time either one the others are out of the way.
And after that, all those denominations that allow homosexuality are going to have a good talking to.
Old 2nd May 2019, 07:23 PM   #874
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
It's rather clearly a scam - much like the placebo pills, gold resellers, and emergency rations often sold through Youtubers and AM radio screechers.

That pillow guy that still advertises on the Tucker Carlson White Power Hour seems to be on the level, at least.

Can't say that I'm shocked to learn that Dolt 45 is connected to a con job, though.

If you're talking about the My Pillow guy, Mike Lindell, maybe not so much.

In 2017 My Pillow joined the rather rarified but unhallowed ranks of companies with significant market penetration which have had their Better Business Bureau accreditation revoked for violating the BBB's Code of Advertising.

The year before that they paid more than $1million in penalties in a civil suit for deceptive practices and advertising.

I understand that other class action suits are floating around.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 02:38 AM   #875
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

OK, so after two years of hard work and each party trying their best to make the other party look as bad as possible, it’s time to get back to business. The Mueller Report strongly stated that there was No Collusion with Russia (of course) and, in fact, they were rebuffed.....

...at every turn in attempts to gain access. But now Republicans and Democrats must come together for the good of the American people. No more costly & time consuming investigations. Lets do Immigration (Border), Infrastructure, much lower drug prices & much more - and do it now!
Old 3rd May 2019, 02:56 AM   #876
Belz...
Fiend God

I also specified legally obtained information (there is no allegation that Giuliani obtained anything illegally). And whose rights are getting violated here?
Did you not notice that I was mentioning prosecutors and defendants, not Giuliani and Mueller?

That's called an analogy, and in this case the point is that the ends don't justify the means.

Old 3rd May 2019, 03:06 AM   #877
Worm
Master Poster

Republicans and Democrats must come together for the good of the American people. No more costly & time consuming investigations. Lets do Immigration (Border), Infrastructure, much lower drug prices & much more - and do it now!
Any chance that he actually means that they should actually come together and compromise to come to an agreed solution? Or will it just be the usual 'do what I want or I'll spit out the dummy' act?

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 03:08 AM   #878
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Amazing how all the indictments, guilty pleas and convictions at the Trump top are forgotten again and again. One might believe that brain wiping device from Men in Black were based on a real device.

That's what I don't get. "NO OBSTRUCTION NO COLLUSION" but just forget about everything else that would be enough to bring any other president down.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2019, 03:16 AM   #879
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Any chance that he actually means that they should actually come together and compromise to come to an agreed solution? Or will it just be the usual 'do what I want or I'll spit out the dummy' act?
Why change a winning formula?
Old 3rd May 2019, 03:52 AM   #880
Tolls
Illuminator

The Mueller Report strongly stated that there was No Collusion with Russia (of course) and, in fact, they were rebuffed at every turn in attempts to gain access.
Does it really say that?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics