ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 4th May 2019, 11:20 AM   #921
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Today, May 4th - is International Firefighters Day! We remember all of those who put their lives on the line to save others, and are grateful to those who continue to do so 24/7/365. We love our great firefighters, thank you! #ThankAFirefighter
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 12:31 PM   #922
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Today, May 4th - is International Firefighters Day! We remember all of those who put their lives on the line to save others, and are grateful to those who continue to do so 24/7/365. We love our great firefighters, thank you! #ThankAFirefighter

And?

I see the thread bumped with new replies only to find more Trump tweets with no comment or discussion.
Old 4th May 2019, 12:50 PM   #923
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Trump's official pronouncements are perfectly on topic
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 12:51 PM   #924
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
And?

I see the thread bumped with new replies only to find more Trump tweets with no comment or discussion.
Swoop reads Don the Con’s tweets so we don’t have to.
Old 4th May 2019, 01:06 PM   #925
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't think that was mgid's complaint. But there is a simple solution, mg: look to see who last posted and if it is Captain Swoop, don't click on the thread.

But I digress. Trump is holding up all sorts of disaster aid over his petty grudges.

Reuters: Disaster aid bill stalls in U.S. Congress over Puerto Rico
Quote:
The Republican-controlled Senate took two procedural votes on Monday that both failed. The first was on a Republican bill offering $13.5 billion in disaster relief for states that included $600 million in nutrition assistance for Puerto Rico.
They couldn't pass the bill because Trump told them he'd veto PR aide.

Now there is impending flooding of the Mississippi and that disaster relief is intertwined.

Amd we add in competing politics:

Quote:
The failure of both bills sends lawmakers back to the negotiating table as the Trump administration’s response to Hurricane Maria, which devastated Puerto Rico in September 2017, receives increased scrutiny, including from more than a dozen Democrats vying to take on the president in the 2020 elections.

Republicans are poised to attack those Democratic candidates for holding up emergency aid to flood-hit states, including Iowa, which is the first state to hold its presidential nominating contest every four years.

Quote:
Trump has repeatedly accused Puerto Rico and its leaders, including Rosselló and San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz, a vocal Trump critic, of mismanaging recovery funds and said the island should not receive additional assistance.

“Puerto Rico has been taken care of better by Donald Trump than by any living human being,” Trump told reporters last week. “They don’t know how to spend the money and they’re not spending it wisely.”
So, Trump's pettiness continues. PR leaders publicly didn't support him, it's like Christi's traffic jam on steroids.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th May 2019 at 01:08 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 01:33 PM   #926
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I don't think that was mgid's complaint. But there is a simple solution, mg: look to see who last posted and if it is Captain Swoop, don't click on the thread.

But I digress. Trump is holding up all sorts of disaster aid over his petty grudges.

Reuters: Disaster aid bill stalls in U.S. Congress over Puerto RicoThey couldn't pass the bill because Trump told them he'd veto PR aide.

Now there is impending flooding of the Mississippi and that disaster relief is intertwined.

Amd we add in competing politics:

So, Trump's pettiness continues. PR leaders publicly didn't support him, it's like Christi's traffic jam on steroids.
The traffic jam couldn’t kill the elderly and weak as much as President Petty’s hateful actions.

Why are they afraid to pass a bill that the president claims he will veto?
Old 4th May 2019, 02:07 PM   #927
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
The traffic jam couldn’t kill the elderly and weak as much as President Petty’s hateful actions.

Why are they afraid to pass a bill that the president claims he will veto?
If an ambulance were delayed it might.

I was pointing out that revenge against one's political enemies is beyond really bad and I don't think one can brush that off as 'the norm'.
Old 4th May 2019, 04:23 PM   #928
Minoosh
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

The wonderful Diamond and Silk have been treated so horribly by Facebook. They work so hard and what has been done to them is very sad - and we’re looking into. It’s getting worse and worse for Conservatives on social media!
This is awful. If conservatives abandon Facebook in droves, Russia will have to find new places to troll. That would be tragic.

Originally Posted by Trump
Anything in this very interesting world is possible, but I believe that Kim Jong Un fully realizes the great economic potential of North Korea, & will do nothing to interfere or end it. He also knows that I am with him & does not want to break his promise to me. Deal will happen!

Very good call yesterday with President Putin of Russia. Tremendous potential for a good/great relationship with Russia, despite what you read and see in the Fake News Media. Look how they have misled you on “Russia Collusion.” The World can be a better and safer place. Nice!
More than anything in the Mueller report, tweets like this have the potential to move the needle in the Senate. Trump's ongoing threat to national security must be apparent to people like Lindsey Graham. The senators, whatever their faults, are far better informed than Trump will ever be about intelligence regarding Russia, North Korea and Saudi Arabia. They are welcome to use the Mueller report for toilet paper if they want, but they must really, really cringe imagining what Trump blathers on about to Putin for over an hour. The highlighted statement regarding Kim Jong Un surely must make even his staunchest allies throw up a little in their mouths.

It's not just a threat to national security, either. It's a threat to the whole culture of having elections and peaceful transitions of power. When push comes to shove I'm not sure the Republican Party is going to tolerate a presidency being co-opted by a fawning ex-TV star whose loose lips can and will sink ships. He has no idea what he's putting at risk. They can happily throw all of Mueller's findings into the shredder, but this guy has no business being the president of the United States. The only secrets he can keep are the ones related to his own financial affairs. In every other respect, he could be manipulated so easily that I wouldn't be surprised if aides deliberately feed him misinformation to limit the damage he can do.

ETA: Carry on tweeting, twit.

ETA2: I know, I know, GOP senators have put up with him for so long it's probably misguided to think they will ever grow a backbone. But some of them are surely hearing from military leaders that this man is a threat to the country.

Last edited by Minoosh; 4th May 2019 at 04:30 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 05:25 PM   #929
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

How can it be possible that James Woods (and many others), a strong but responsible Conservative Voice, is banned from Twitter? Social Media & Fake News Media, together with their partner, the Democrat Party, have no idea the problems they are causing for themselves. VERY UNFAIR!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 05:43 PM   #930
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

How can it be possible that James Woods (and many others), a strong but responsible Conservative Voice, is banned from Twitter? Social Media & Fake News Media, together with their partner, the Democrat Party, have no idea the problems they are causing for themselves. VERY UNFAIR!
He so loves to threaten people.
Old 4th May 2019, 06:28 PM   #931
The Shrike
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
If you're talking about the My Pillow guy, Mike Lindell, maybe not so much.
Again, why anyone trusts these dudes with the really weird hair is beyond me.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th May 2019, 08:42 PM   #932
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Anything in this very interesting world is possible, but I believe that Kim Jong Un fully realizes the great economic potential of North Korea, & will do nothing to interfere or end it. He also knows that I am with him & does not want to break his promise to me. Deal will happen!
I don't even think parents love children as unconditionally as Trump loves Kim Jong Un. Every interaction has resulted in him looking like a fool but pining for Kim's affection more.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 01:37 AM   #933
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So why use the ruse in the first place?
What ruse? There was no attempt to disguise the survey as anything other than coming from the Republican Party.

Quote:
Because their target market is elderly and otherwise easily confused people.
Some people on this forum certainly seem to have become easily confused by it. I don’t understand why: I read the letter (well, the first three paragraphs) and I was left in no doubt it came from the Republican Party.

Are you complaining that they didn’t put an elephant in the letterhead?
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 04:45 AM   #934
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
What ruse? There was no attempt to disguise the survey as anything other than coming from the Republican Party.

Some people on this forum certainly seem to have become easily confused by it. I don’t understand why: I read the letter (well, the first three paragraphs) and I was left in no doubt it came from the Republican Party.

If the report of the phone call is accurate, where the son was told his mother faced legal issues if she didn't submit the "census" with $15, then there's no doubt a moral (and, surely, legal) line was crossed. Of course, we don't have evidence beyond the report of the son.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 05:27 AM   #935
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
If the report of the phone call is accurate, where the son was told his mother faced legal issues if she didn't submit the "census" with $15, then there's no doubt a moral (and, surely, legal) line was crossed. Of course, we don't have evidence beyond the report of the son.

I suspect jeremyp has not yet experienced an elderly relative receiving something in the mail that is clearly a scam to jeremyp, but which the elderly relative thinks is an important, serious document that they must deal with, rather than just toss it in the trash.

I'm getting that more and more with my own mother, and it sucks. There are lots of outright scam artists targeting people in this exact way, and to see the GOP using the same techniques highlights how they are virtually indistinguishable from actual crime these days.

Alas, until he sees it himself, he'll never see it.
Old 5th May 2019, 05:38 AM   #936
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
You don't need an analogy to point out that ends don't justify means.
Well, unlike theprestige, I actually like analogies, so need them or not, I use them.

Quote:
What has Giuliani done wrong here, and why is it wrong? Explain it directly, without the use of analogies.
I did.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 07:05 AM   #937
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I did.
No, you didn't. You used a lousy analogy to raise the possibility that it could be wrong, but did nothing to indicate that it was actually wrong.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 07:48 AM   #938
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Kentuky Derby decision was not a good one. It was a rough and tumble race on a wet and sloppy track, actually, a beautiful thing to watch. Only in these days of political correctness could such an overturn occur. The best horse did NOT win the Kentucky Derby - not even close!
Old 5th May 2019, 07:51 AM   #939
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The Kentuky Derby decision was not a good one. It was a rough and tumble race on a wet and sloppy track, actually, a beautiful thing to watch. Only in these days of political correctness could such an overturn occur. The best horse did NOT win the Kentucky Derby - not even close!
Surprised he doesn't support the loser being awarded the win on a technicality.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 07:51 AM   #940
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Seems the second-place finisher was declared the winner.

I didn’t know the Kentucky Derby even USED the Electoral College.
Old 5th May 2019, 07:53 AM   #941
dmaker
Graduate Poster

LOL. Nicely done.
dmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 07:55 AM   #942
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

I am pleased to inform all of those that believe in a strong, fair and sound Immigration Policy that Mark Morgan will be joining the Trump Administration as the head of our hard working men and women of ICE. Mark is a true believer and American Patriot. He will do a great job!
Old 5th May 2019, 07:55 AM   #943
jond
Illuminator

Seems the second-place finisher was declared the winner.

Apparently it’s spelled ”Kentuky”.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 08:10 AM   #944
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jond View Post
Apparently it’s spelled ”Kentuky”.
As in kognitive dekline?
Old 5th May 2019, 09:43 AM   #945
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

For 10 months, China has been paying Tariffs to the USA of 25% on 50 Billion Dollars of High Tech, and 10% on 200 Billion Dollars of other goods. These payments are partially responsible for our great economic results. The 10% will go up to 25% on Friday. 325 Billions Dollars....

....of additional goods sent to us by China remain untaxed, but will be shortly, at a rate of 25%. The Tariffs paid to the USA have had little impact on product cost, mostly borne by China. The Trade Deal with China continues, but too slowly, as they attempt to renegotiate. No!
Old 5th May 2019, 09:52 AM   #946
Minoosh
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

For 10 months, China has been paying Tariffs to the USA of 25% on 50 Billion Dollars of High Tech, and 10% on 200 Billion Dollars of other goods. These payments are partially responsible for our great economic results. The 10% will go up to 25% on Friday. 325 Billions Dollars....
He can't be that stupid. Can he? Can voters be that stupid?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 09:57 AM   #947
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
He can't be that stupid. Can he? Can voters be that stupid?
Trump voters can. That's a given.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 10:10 AM   #948
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweeted

I am pleased to inform all of those that believe in a strong, fair and sound Immigration Policy that Mark Morgan will be joining the Trump Administration as the head of our hard working men and women of ICE. Mark is a true believer and American Patriot. He will do a great job!
Am I the only one who sees the use of this phrase as being cult-like?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 10:11 AM   #949
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Trump voters can. That's a given.
But there are people who work in those industries - soy, aluminum or whatever these products are - that will know he's full of it. I don't think all Trump voters are stupid. Quite a few of them are, but not all.
Old 5th May 2019, 10:16 AM   #950
Minoosh
Philosopher

Can any Trump defenders explain how his tweet on tariffs is actually correct?

I don't know if they are Trump supporters. But there are people defending his presidency, which is a different thing IMO.
Old 5th May 2019, 10:17 AM   #951
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
That's a given.
Old 5th May 2019, 10:25 AM   #952
Minoosh
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Watching that race was painful. Those beautiful horses on that "sloppy" track. I'm just glad none had to be euthanized.
Old 5th May 2019, 10:26 AM   #953
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Look, if you make tariffs high enough, you will get a positive trade balance even if you don't export anything.
That's basic logic.
Old 5th May 2019, 10:37 AM   #954
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Look, if you make tariffs high enough, you will get a positive trade balance even if you don't export anything.
That's basic logic.
Increasing inventory makes the GDP look good too.
Old 5th May 2019, 11:14 AM   #955
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It instantly jumped out to me much more boldly than did your yellow hilite!

It's like that crew isn't even trying to be subtle anymore...
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 11:47 AM   #956
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post

Oh come on. Why make it look like some official document?
Old 5th May 2019, 01:12 PM   #957
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Trump Tweets

Several friends of mine who have ties to the horse racing community are laughing their asses off at the thought that said community could be in any way “politically correct”.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th May 2019, 01:27 PM   #958
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Laura Ingraham
‏Verified account
@IngrahamAngle
Excellent decision by @realDonaldTrump! No other president has had the guts to take on the China challenge. #AmericaNowandForever
Old 5th May 2019, 01:34 PM   #959
FenerFan
Illuminator

I just read that the Kentucky Derby winner, Country House, has turned down an invitation for a celebratory visit to Washington. In a statement, Country House claims that "...one horse's ass in the White House is enough."
Old 5th May 2019, 02:11 PM   #960
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
From the Twitter comments (to be taken with a grain of salt), the GOP has been employing this scam since 2010. The source may be this ProPublica article. Of note -

Can't recall ever getting anything like them and I've just been shreading these.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics