ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th June 2019, 09:22 AM   #3481
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
The cylinder would not move.

20 points.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 09:30 AM   #3482
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Wow. If we were to go back though the thread our canine friends would have quite a high total.
Old 18th June 2019, 09:53 AM   #3483
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I liked this one:
Quote:
8. 5 points for each mention of "Einstien", "Hawkins" or "Feynmann".
but it needs some "Telsa".
Old 18th June 2019, 10:51 AM   #3484
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

I would say that have repeated high scores from the judges!
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 10:53 AM   #3485
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I liked this one:
Quote:
8. 5 points for each mention of "Einstien", "Hawkins" or "Feynmann".

Originally Posted by Anders Lindman View Post
That index is stupid. 5 points for mentioning Einstein.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 11:00 AM   #3486
jadebox
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I liked this one:
but it needs some "Telsa".
20 points for mentioning Tesla (regardless of spelling).

Last edited by jadebox; 18th June 2019 at 11:05 AM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 01:17 PM   #3487
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
20 points for mentioning Tesla (regardless of spelling).
Well, Tesla did do quite a bit of good science. Unfortunately he also had a lot of daft ideas.

Hans
Old 18th June 2019, 01:25 PM   #3488
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Well, Tesla did do quite a bit of good science. Unfortunately he also had a lot of daft ideas.

Hans
I can't recall who said it, but one of my favorite sayings is the one (paraphrased):

"A genius doesn't have better ideas than the average person, just more of them."

Always liked that one, and it's always made sense of things to me (like how an otherwise smart person can fall into so much woo). There's a different between intelligence (being able to make connections and link ideas) and critical thinking (that gives one tools to help weed out incorrect or illogical connections).
Old 18th June 2019, 05:05 PM   #3489
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gingervytes View Post
The cylinder would not move.
That is a lie. The pressure gradient force you are so fond of will make the gas jet out of end of the cylinder. Conservation of momentum makes the cylinder move in the opposite direction

Another lying deluded video from an obviously deluded YouTube channel does not change basic physics.

ETA: I will expand on "Insanity that sea levels do not rise when ice melts (this is basic climate science).". The first frame tells anyone smart that Jerry Sprocket is insanely ignorant. There is a container of fresh water with ice in it and we expect no measurable change in water levels when the ice melts! There might be an tiny rise in level because the water may have warmed and water expands when warmed. The insane level of ignorance is that it is melting land ice that contributes to the measured rising sea levels.
Is sea level rising? Yes, sea level is rising at an increasing rate.

Last edited by Reality Check; 18th June 2019 at 05:27 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2019, 05:30 PM   #3490
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bknight View Post
I don't know what program you watched and there are several concerning the building of the Saturn V. My favorite was this one that showed the development problems and how some were solved to get this behemoth into space.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKbDd2SbJeo
"Secrets of the Apollo Mission" or something like that
Old 18th June 2019, 07:51 PM   #3491
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
"Secrets of the Apollo Mission" or something like that
Ok, I'll look and see if I can find a rerun. Do you remember the channel or network?
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2019, 05:27 AM   #3492
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, I'll look and see if I can find a rerun. Do you remember the channel or network?
Science Channel, maybe?
Old 19th June 2019, 05:46 AM   #3493
Robin
Philosopher

Hmm... Methinks Mr Vytes is due for one of his vague evasive posts to keep the thread alive. Any time now.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2019, 05:51 AM   #3494
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Hmm... Methinks Mr Vytes is due for one of his vague evasive posts to keep the thread alive. Any time now.
The two dogs that make up Gingervytes are still hunting for some fresh kibble. Once they get a good meal in their bellies, and a nap, the'll grab their fedora and tench coat and hop back online.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 19th June 2019, 05:52 AM   #3495
Greebo
Thinker

[derail]
I've had to play catch up with this - it took a while.

Hat tip to the patience of those explaining the principles here.

Slightly smug as it would appear that I did pay attention in my classes 40 years ago and already had the basic principle right.

But many thanks to everyone - it's been an education in rockets, space and cool things like that
[/derail]
:
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2019, 06:18 AM   #3496
bknight
Graduate Poster

Science Channel, maybe?
Thanks, I'll look up the guide.
bknight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2019, 06:52 AM   #3497
caveman1917
Philosopher

Thanks, I'll look up the guide.
Check youtube and Vimeo, you can usually find old documentaries or episodes of series like that there.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2019, 07:03 AM   #3498
halleyscomet
Philosopher

SHOCKING video evidence that the YouTube channel Gingervytes keeps linking to may be plagiarizing content from other videos.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

I AGREE

I AGREE

I AGREE

It looks like Jerry Sprocket is stealing content from the "rockets push off air" YouTube channel. I think this means the Jerry Sprocket links count as Spam as far as the forum rules are concerned.

Last edited by halleyscomet; 19th June 2019 at 07:06 AM.
halleyscomet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2019, 07:29 AM   #3499
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Check youtube and Vimeo, you can usually find old documentaries or episodes of series like that there.
Of course, the video I linked earlier was a YT series of Moon Machines on History Channel, IIRC.
Old 19th June 2019, 07:30 AM   #3500
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by halleyscomet View Post
SHOCKING video evidence that the YouTube channel Gingervytes keeps linking to may be plagiarizing content from other videos.

I AGREE

I AGREE

I AGREE

I AGREE

It looks like Jerry Sprocket is stealing content from the "rockets push off air" YouTube channel. I think this means the Jerry Sprocket links count as Spam as far as the forum rules are concerned.
IMO, TROLL
Old 19th June 2019, 07:50 AM   #3501
halleyscomet
Philosopher

IMO, TROLL
A troll either committing flagrant copyright violations or using multiple YouTube accounts.

Possibly both.
Old 22nd June 2019, 04:36 PM   #3502
Humots
Critical Thinker

I came upon an editorial in a magazine I subscribe to that I believe is relevant to GV's position.
I'm not sure I'm allowed to name the magazine, but here is a link to the editorial. It may only be available until the next issue, in about two months.
The editorial is titled "A Conspiracy of Dunces" and discusses the rise of conspiracy theories since the advent of the Internet. The Flat Earthers get special attention.
Here is a quote that I believe is especially pertinent:
Quote:
... to the conspiracy theorist, the rejection of institutional knowledge is a feature, not a bug. They don’t have to delegitimize institutional knowledge in order to push their fringe beliefs; they push their fringe beliefs in order to delegitimize institutional knowledge.
Does GV, who has "proved" that the scientific establishment not only made a horrendous blunder (that rockets work), but has also spent the last 62 years (since Sputnik) orchestrating a multi-national hoax that space travel using rockets is possible, fit this picture?
Humots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2019, 04:51 PM   #3503
Humots
Critical Thinker

Sorry, duplicate post

Last edited by Humots; 22nd June 2019 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Humots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2019, 05:19 PM   #3504
The Common Potato
Student

Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
... is called a rocket.
Hang on, you're going a bit too fast. A what?
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2019, 10:10 AM   #3505
halleyscomet
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Humots View Post
I came upon an editorial in a magazine I subscribe to that I believe is relevant to GV's position.
I'm not sure I'm allowed to name the magazine, but here is a link to the editorial. It may only be available until the next issue, in about two months.
The editorial is titled "A Conspiracy of Dunces" and discusses the rise of conspiracy theories since the advent of the Internet. The Flat Earthers get special attention.
Here is a quote that I believe is especially pertinent:

Does GV, who has "proved" that the scientific establishment not only made a horrendous blunder (that rockets work), but has also spent the last 62 years (since Sputnik) orchestrating a multi-national hoax that space travel using rockets is possible, fit this picture?

I find it interesting GV has not returned since it was revealed the videos they were spamming were apparently copied from another channel, possibly without permission.
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:07 AM   #3506
Hans
Philosopher

I find it interesting GV has not returned since it was revealed the videos they were spamming were apparently copied from another channel, possibly without permission.
Oh my I wonder if he went into a room but now cannot get out because of pressure or bizarre reasons?
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:12 AM   #3507
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I think he's found a better home over on FES.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/...opic=81808.300
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2019, 11:22 AM   #3508
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I think he's found a better home over on FES.

https://www.theflatearthsociety.org/...opic=81808.300
I'm dumber for having gone there.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2019, 01:24 PM   #3509
bknight
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Of course, now take the tin foil hat off and rejoin the civilized world.
Old 23rd June 2019, 03:52 PM   #3510
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Oh my I wonder if he went into a room but now cannot get out because of pressure or bizarre reasons?
1: He ran into the room for shelter, panting, the pressure dropped as a result, and the door, opening out, stuck shut. He's trapped until enough air seeps under the sill. He'll be back.

2: He ran into the room for shelter, panting, the pressured dropped as a result, and the door, opening in, smacked him upside the head, and he passed out. When enough air seeps in under the sill, he'll wake up, as groggy and disoriented as usual. He'll be back.

3: He ran into the room, and the door stuck. Unfortunately, as he has proven over and over again, he cannot exert force on the door. Kick as he might, he roils the air but cannot impact the door. Unless a kind soul comes and pries it open from the outside, he's stuck and will starve to death. He may not be back.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2019, 03:56 PM   #3511
Axxman300
Illuminator

I keep advising folks to report videos like this to YouTube, and in this case the accounts he ripped off his content from should also be be informed so his account is closed.
Old 23rd June 2019, 05:09 PM   #3512
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Of course, now take the tin foil hat off and rejoin the civilized world.
I read "Cesare's Commentaries" this afternoon. I think I got my IQ points back.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2019, 06:59 PM   #3513
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Thank you for taking the hit for the rest of us.
Old 23rd June 2019, 07:40 PM   #3514
Hans
Philosopher

I read "Cesare's Commentaries" this afternoon. I think I got my IQ points back.
Yes and now your know that Gaul is divided into three parts!
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 01:06 AM   #3515
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Yes and now your know that Gaul is divided into three parts!
Weenie, weedy and weaky, if I recall correctly.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 05:43 AM   #3516
bknight
Graduate Poster

Science Channel, maybe?
Maybe the Smithsonian Channel? I watched part of an Apollo program last night.
Old 24th June 2019, 05:58 AM   #3517
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Could be. Honestly, I only look at the guide and don't bother with what channel it's on
Old 24th June 2019, 06:25 AM   #3518
bknight
Graduate Poster

Could be. Honestly, I only look at the guide and don't bother with what channel it's on
Your intial post was on the 18th IIRC.
https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/s...n-shot/1005833
Series stated in the US 16 Jun. I believe we have narrowed the choice.
Old 24th June 2019, 10:07 AM   #3519
jadebox
Graduate Poster

I just watched the first episode of "Apollo Moon Shot" on the Smithsonian Channel. Clunky title, but an excellent show. It included a lot of footage I hadn't seen before (the CGI team at NASA has been busy!). Highly recommended.

https://www.smithsonianchannel.com/s...n-shot/1005833

Andrew Chaikan is interviewed in the episode. If you know a little about the Apollo missions and want to learn lot more, read his book "A Man on the Moon."

Also, CNN is airing the recent "Apollo 11" documentary which is amazing. I picked up the Blu-ray.

Last edited by jadebox; 24th June 2019 at 10:09 AM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2019, 11:06 AM   #3520
Axxman300
Illuminator

NASA is launching a Space-X tonight, 11:30 EST. You can watch it here:

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology