IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags law of attraction , oprah winfrey , Rhonda Byrne

Old 8th August 2007, 09:17 PM   #1
EGarrett
Illuminator

Oprah Winfrey, "The Secret" and "The Law of Attraction"

Can we all...please...collectively urinate-on/mock/denounce this pile of garbage?

I mean...I know people are dumb and prone to wishful thinking, but at least in the past I could delude myself into believing most delusions survived because they had been around for a long time, leading people to think they had to have some validity.

Then this arrives.

A completely new and senseless load of ******** that wastes everyone's time and deludes people by the thousands...and everyone is buying into it. It makes me angry enough to slap them.

Last edited by EGarrett; 8th August 2007 at 09:21 PM.
EGarrett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2007, 09:18 PM   #2
JoeEllison
Cuddly Like a Koala Bear

Count me in!
JoeEllison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2007, 09:20 PM   #3
EGarrett
Illuminator

How could people POSSIBLY believe something so stupid? This goes beyond typical common sense. It makes me doubt my basic faith in the public to have SOME level of reasoning ability.

Last edited by EGarrett; 8th August 2007 at 09:22 PM.
EGarrett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2007, 09:23 PM   #4
yairhol
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by EGarrett View Post
Can we all...please...collectively urinate-on/mock/denounce this pile of garbage?
Haven't we already?
I remember this was brought up a couple of months ago.
In any case, I'm all out of urine after urinating-on/mocking/denouncing the "yellow bamboo" videos.
I'll see if I have a few drops left to help out.

Regards,
Yair
yairhol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2007, 09:23 PM   #5
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

EGarrett: Sure, it quickly came- it'll quickly leave! As a matter of fact, I think it's half-forgotten already!
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2007, 09:23 PM   #6
Zep
Banned

It's been around many times before under a whole lot of names, and no doubt will be around again in the future under another name or two.

Save your urine for something worthwhile. Tomato plants!
Zep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2007, 09:31 PM   #7
Apathia
Philosopher

Yup, already raged against it in previous threads. It's just a yawn now.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2007, 09:38 PM   #8
osmosis
Critical Thinker

ugh.. I'd been chatting with this very attractive older woman; first online, then on the phone, I was totally ready to meet her in person. It seemed like she was really a special lady and we had really clicked, until she dropped the bomb..

There's this movie she's really into called..

.. you guessed it.

I was so repulsed I cancelled our first date and haven't spoken to her since!

-- Winston Churchill
osmosis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2007, 09:41 PM   #9
yairhol
Graduate Poster

good for you osmosis
yairhol is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2007, 11:04 PM   #10
Apathia
Philosopher

You have spared yourself great agony, Osmosis.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2007, 11:11 PM   #11
a.real.girl
Muse

Rebecca and Noblecaboose both gave Oprah what for about this a few months back. Was that here or over at Skepchick.org?

Either way, I just figure all those folks who buy this bs now have a bookend to go with The Celestine Prophecy.

-A

All along there was no one else, just you & me, the stars & the sea, the sky & the night, the wind & sunlight.
a.real.girl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 12:03 AM   #12
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

It makes me doubt my basic faith in the public to have SOME level of reasoning ability.
Good. When you lose that faith completely you'll be on the right track.
godless dave is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 02:35 AM   #13
clerihew80

You people are all just negative thinkers. Negative things will come to you as a result.
clerihew80 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 03:11 AM   #14
yairhol
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by clerihew80 View Post
You people are all just negative thinkers. Negative things will come to you as a result.
Yeah, I got married.
Isn't that enough negativity for a life time?

Regards,
Yair
Old 9th August 2007, 03:17 AM   #15
JoeEllison
Cuddly Like a Koala Bear

Originally Posted by clerihew80 View Post
When is that going to happen? Am I going to accidentally cut myself on my new $250 Benchmade pocket knife? Will I be deafened by my new guitar amplifier? Is my new house going to explode because I don't buy into woo stupidity? Good things happen to people who work hard. Bad things happen to everyone, regardless of their attitude. Being defrauded out of book and DVD money happens to people who have a hard time telling fantasy from reality.
JoeEllison is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 04:20 AM   #16
sophia8
Master Poster

To illustrate the abysmally stupid thinking of Secretoids, look no further than this thread on the Powerful Intentions forum.
Quote:
Let me just state with a dismissed bankruptcy,car repossesion,no money,"bad" credit,I walked out of a Kia dealership today with the keys to a brand new 2007 Kia Optima Sedan Car!

THANK YOU,THANK YOU,THANK YOU!

Never,Ever... Think I Can't!!!!!!!

You Can Have,Do,Be Anything!!!!!!!!

Look Out World,Here I Come Manifesting More!

And Hopefully,Here All Of you Come With Me Manifesting Your Dreams!
Further down the thread, it emerges that the poster's bank apparently made an error in the first place and she didn't owe anything and has a clean credit record (or at least that's what her rather garbled story appears to be).
So what actually happened was that she got herself a $23,000 car on credit - something that anybody with a good credit record can do. Nobody gave her the car, she didn't get any extra money, she's spending her own money.
But all of her fellow Secretoids greet it as definite proof of the Law of Attraction!

I wonder if she'll post about it when the car gets repossessed?
"Nature is floods and famines and earthquakes and viruses and little blue-footed booby babies getting their brains pecked out by their stronger siblings! ....Nature doesn't care about me, or about anybody in particular - nature can be terrifying! Why do they even put words like 'natural' on products like shampoo, like it's automatically a good thing? I mean, sulfuric acid is natural!" -Julia Sweeney

Last edited by sophia8; 9th August 2007 at 04:24 AM.
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 06:21 AM   #17
EGarrett
Illuminator

Originally Posted by godless dave View Post
Good. When you lose that faith completely you'll be on the right track.
I shouldn't have referred to it as 'faith.' It's actually a belief based on evidence that people all seem to have a functioning brain in their heads. A belief misplaced, but a belief that is/was based on something.
Old 9th August 2007, 06:23 AM   #18
Father Dagon
Graduate Poster

Links, please. I'm swedish.
Father Dagon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 06:28 AM   #19
EGarrett
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sophia8 View Post
To illustrate the abysmally stupid thinking of Secretoids, look no further than this thread on the Powerful Intentions forum.
Further down the thread, it emerges that the poster's bank apparently made an error in the first place and she didn't owe anything and has a clean credit record (or at least that's what her rather garbled story appears to be).
So what actually happened was that she got herself a $23,000 car on credit - something that anybody with a good credit record can do. Nobody gave her the car, she didn't get any extra money, she's spending her own money.
But all of her fellow Secretoids greet it as definite proof of the Law of Attraction!

I wonder if she'll post about it when the car gets repossessed?
Disturbing. Thank you.

I'm going to keep looking through those forums to see if they actually post the numerous times they must "think really hard" about something and then nothing happens.
Old 9th August 2007, 06:29 AM   #20
EGarrett
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Father Dagon View Post
Links, please. I'm swedish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_(2006_film)
Old 9th August 2007, 06:29 AM   #21
Overman
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Yup, already raged against it in previous threads. It's just a yawn now.
This post sums up the internet more than any post I have ever read anywhere!
Overman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 07:23 AM   #22
JonWhite
Muse

Originally Posted by EeneyMinnieMoe View Post
EGarrett: Sure, it quickly came- it'll quickly leave! As a matter of fact, I think it's half-forgotten already!
If only that were so. I have already wasted for more energy on this crap than it ever deserves over at another private forum. Certain elements there haven't just fallen for this juvenile, wishful thinking fantasy themselves but actually promote it to their clients as a perfectly good tool for positive thinking!

No matter how much I ask for it to (sexually descriptive expletive) off or firmly believe that it ultimately will, the universe just won't manifest it's disappearance for me.
JonWhite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 08:20 AM   #23
EeneyMinnieMoe
Philosopher

I'm sorry to hear that but how much more of a shelf life could it possibly have? Another year or two at most is my guess. Like any other fad, it'll fade away quickly enough on its own.

Hasn't been around a long time- won't be around much longer.
EeneyMinnieMoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 08:27 AM   #24
Victor Meldrew
Thinker

Originally Posted by JonWhite View Post
If only that were so. I have already wasted for more energy on this crap than it ever deserves over at another private forum. Certain elements there haven't just fallen for this juvenile, wishful thinking fantasy themselves but actually promote it to their clients as a perfectly good tool for positive thinking!

No matter how much I ask for it to (sexually descriptive expletive) off or firmly believe that it ultimately will, the universe just won't manifest it's disappearance for me.
Positive thinking is great.....coupled with a big, healthy dose of REALISM.

There was a thread about the Secret here on the randi forums about a month ago - a few of us 'infiltrated' the Powerful Intentions forum (where they all believe in it) to try and bring some sense to them. It was like banging your head against a brick wall. Anyway, we had some fun, and some shocks too -

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=86980

Bertrand Russell - I was told that the Chinese said they would bury me by the Western Lake and build a shrine to my memory. I have some slight regret that this did not happen, as I might have become a god, which would have been very chic for an atheist.
Victor Meldrew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 09:28 AM   #25
JonWhite
Muse

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew View Post
Positive thinking is great.....coupled with a big, healthy dose of REALISM.
Yeah, exactly. It's the abject lack of realism involved that bothers me.

These people are acting as therapists for Dog's sake!
JonWhite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 11:00 AM   #26
Moochie
Philosopher

How could people POSSIBLY believe something so stupid? This goes beyond typical common sense. It makes me doubt my basic faith in the public to have SOME level of reasoning ability.
I've known for a very long time that the world of humans is steeped in woo. That's why there need to be hundreds of thousands of JREFs, and millions of JREFers.

The fact that an Australian concocted this heap of garbage embarrasses me.

M.
Moochie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 11:04 AM   #27
Moochie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Zep View Post
It's been around many times before under a whole lot of names, and no doubt will be around again in the future under another name or two.

Save your urine for something worthwhile. Tomato plants!
Several friends and relatives have suggested I urinate on citrus plants. Is there anything to it?

M.
Moochie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 11:08 AM   #28
Moochie
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeEllison View Post
When is that going to happen? Am I going to accidentally cut myself on my new $250 Benchmade pocket knife? Will I be deafened by my new guitar amplifier? Is my new house going to explode because I don't buy into woo stupidity? Good things happen to people who work hard. Bad things happen to everyone, regardless of their attitude. Being defrauded out of book and DVD money happens to people who have a hard time telling fantasy from reality.
I visualized millions and won AUD$8.50 in the lottery last week Thursday.

M.
Old 9th August 2007, 11:11 AM   #29
Victor Meldrew
Thinker

Originally Posted by Moochie View Post
I visualized millions and won AUD$8.50 in the lottery last week Thursday.

M.
They take that as proof that the 'law of attraction' works on the Powerful Intentions forum.....really.

Bertrand Russell - I was told that the Chinese said they would bury me by the Western Lake and build a shrine to my memory. I have some slight regret that this did not happen, as I might have become a god, which would have been very chic for an atheist.
Victor Meldrew is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2007, 11:29 AM   #30
Moochie
Philosopher

They take that as proof that the 'law of attraction' works on the Powerful Intentions forum.....really.
I know. And their success is about as potent as mine.

Heck, I always visualize millions before a lottery is drawn. Been doing it for decades. I think it's called "wishful thinking."

M.
Old 9th August 2007, 12:01 PM   #31
Victor Meldrew
Thinker

Originally Posted by Moochie View Post
I know. And their success is about as potent as mine.

Heck, I always visualize millions before a lottery is drawn. Been doing it for decades. I think it's called "wishful thinking."

M.
'Wishful thinking''....what a POWERFUL idea....almost as good as the 'law of attraction'!

But....but.....seriously, stay with me here.....perhaps you could write a book about it ('The REAL Secret' perhaps?!) and have a few woo-woo's talking about it (using real pseudoscience, of course) on video - then you would make a million and - hey presto - your 'Wishful Thinking' money making system works!

Old 10th August 2007, 08:46 AM   #32
DMG
New Blood

The Secret - Ramtha - Avatar - What the Bleep do We KNow...

Its all the same goofy crap as far as I can tell...
DMG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2007, 03:45 PM   #33
Moochie
Philosopher

'Wishful thinking''....what a POWERFUL idea....almost as good as the 'law of attraction'!

But....but.....seriously, stay with me here.....perhaps you could write a book about it ('The REAL Secret' perhaps?!) and have a few woo-woo's talking about it (using real pseudoscience, of course) on video - then you would make a million and - hey presto - your 'Wishful Thinking' money making system works!
Don't worry, I have thought about it. And thought about it. And as the various potential scenarios play out in my mind, I fall about laughing.

That's my problem. I can't keep a straight face.

M.
Old 10th August 2007, 05:17 PM   #34
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

What I think is the most insidius and sociopathic part of this belief is that you deserve everything bad that happens to you because you wanted it to happen. It is the ultimate blame the victim belief.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2007, 05:43 PM   #35
Hindmost
Illuminator

Of course what we really need is for Oprah to become a skeptic and indicate she was really wrong about the whole secret and various other witch-wiggler attitudes...I am expecting just that to happen right after Paris Hilton wins the Nobel Prize.

glenn

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Carl Sagan
Hindmost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2007, 07:54 PM   #36
Scholar

Man. Now some of the secretoids I deal with daily are trying to get rid of me by ignoring me. By dealing with them I got a hang of their ideas, they are probably trying to manifest by disappearance by acting as if I already did disappear. What should I do?
777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2007, 08:15 PM   #37
Axiom_Blade

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
What I think is the most insidius and sociopathic part of this belief is that you deserve everything bad that happens to you because you wanted it to happen. It is the ultimate blame the victim belief.
I think if I believed in "the secret" I would go crazy pretty quickly.
Just imagine...anything that goes wrong is all your fault. Anything.
You'd be constantly beating yourself up about your "bad thoughts."

Oh, and don't think about cancer, or auto accidents, or...or.. Because that is exactly what will manifest!
This is like telling somebody "Whatever you do, for God's sake, don't think about pink elephants!"
I would just wind up driving myself neurotic by trying to prevent thoughts about disease or accidents. This must be how most of the Secret-believers end up. I don't see much other way.

On the other hand, if you get stuck in a conversation with one of these losers, you can get rid of them easy by asking, "Do you ever worry about getting a brain aneurysm? Or getting hit by a car?"
Then they would turn pale and run off with their fingers in their ears going "LALALALALALALA"

Evil?
Axiom_Blade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2007, 08:16 PM   #38
Axiom_Blade

Originally Posted by 777 View Post
Man. Now some of the secretoids I deal with daily are trying to get rid of me by ignoring me. By dealing with them I got a hang of their ideas, they are probably trying to manifest by disappearance by acting as if I already did disappear. What should I do?
Make their wish come true and avoid them. Find some companions who think.
Axiom_Blade is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2007, 08:05 PM   #39
osmosis
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by 777 View Post
What should you do..? PRAISE ALLAH!

Seriously though, according to The Secret, one must shun those who do not think according to The Secret. It's a typical cult isolation tactic, divides the world into believers and everyone else.

-- Winston Churchill
osmosis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2007, 09:20 PM   #40
-Fran-
Master Poster

Originally Posted by yairhol View Post
Yeah, I got married.
Isn't that enough negativity for a life time?

Regards,
Yair
Then get a divorce for goodness sake

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal