IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th February 2024, 12:30 PM   #1
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Astrology may be harmful to your wallet

A Vedic astrologist says the stars were against his investment in crypto currency. Or maybe it was the eclipse of Taurus and Scorpio. Whatever. He still trusts astrology.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2024, 12:33 PM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I always wondered why people thought it made sense that celestial bodies took an interest in their daily activities.
Old 18th February 2024, 02:12 PM   #3
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

There is no cure for The Stupid.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2024, 02:35 PM   #4
p0lka
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I always wondered why people thought it made sense that celestial bodies took an interest in their daily activities.
Astrology might have made some sort of sense if was focused on the moon and they changed the name to moonology
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2024, 06:38 PM   #5
Spektator

There's nothing to astrology. We Scorpios are very skeptical.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2024, 06:41 PM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
A Vedic astrologist says the stars were against his investment in crypto currency. Or maybe it was the eclipse of Taurus and Scorpio. Whatever. He still trusts astrology.
That sounds like astrology is helpful to your wallet, if you pay attention to it.
Old 18th February 2024, 11:14 PM   #7
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Thanks to my Astrologist, all my assets that safely stored in my Astrologists' bank account.
Old 19th February 2024, 05:05 AM   #8
MBDK
Muse

I asked an astrologer if his all work was meaningless. I didn't get a direct answer, but he gave me a sign.
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2024, 04:15 PM   #9
sackett
Philosopher

Too bad astrology is so slow-paced. If you could work up a party routine involving near-instant horoscopes, what fun!

Maybe a cocktail of pseudo-AI, cold reading, improv conspiracism, and mime, all of it in quicktime, natch; gotta keep the mark off balance. Unless he does it for you, as I think many astrolodupes will.

Blitztrology!

Aw hell, NUDE Blitztrology. Maybe with a modest entry fee?

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th February 2024, 06:29 PM   #10
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Too bad astrology is so slow-paced. If you could work up a party routine involving near-instant horoscopes, what fun!

Maybe a cocktail of pseudo-AI, cold reading, improv conspiracism, and mime, all of it in quicktime, natch; gotta keep the mark off balance. Unless he does it for you, as I think many astrolodupes will.

Blitztrology!

Aw hell, NUDE Blitztrology. Maybe with a modest entry fee?
I think I could wing it.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2024, 07:09 AM   #11
Masque
Scholar

I am picturing Jean Dixon naked. I am not happy.
Masque is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2024, 05:33 PM   #12
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Masque View Post
I am picturing Jean Dixon naked. I am not happy.
Thanks for planting that image in my head. Now I'm not happy.
Old 21st February 2024, 02:40 PM   #13
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

What people fail to understand is that astrology totally works and is 100% accurate, but because of the distances between the stars and Earth all the advice is outdated by years, decades, centuries, and millenia depending on the particular stars. When the horoscope said to avoid a business venture it was talking to Julius Caesar, it's not the stars' fault the message arrived a little late and you assumed it was for you. It's like getting mail for the previous tenant.
Old 21st February 2024, 02:46 PM   #14
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Astrology has nothing at all to do with stars. Except for one star.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2024, 08:44 PM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Nonsense, you can't throw a brick in Hollywood without hitting several stars who live by their horoscopes! I heard that Cher won't even use the toilet unless it's been auspiciously signified, she just goes in the yard on off days.
Old 21st February 2024, 09:23 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Your post contradicts your thread title. Astrology was helpful to his wallet, but he ignored it.
Old 22nd February 2024, 01:21 PM   #17
p0lka
Illuminator

That's why Astrologists should have focused on the moon and called it moonology. At least then they could argue for tides influencing foetuses x earths orbit and all that, which would be a more convincing grift than the actual stuff they peddle, but it works for them.

Last edited by p0lka; 22nd February 2024 at 01:23 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2024, 07:05 AM   #18
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
That's why Astrologists should have focused on the moon and called it moonology. At least then they could argue for tides influencing foetuses x earths orbit and all that, which would be a more convincing grift than the actual stuff they peddle, but it works for them.
You should be looking for a Node book then. That focuses on the Moon and its influence.
Old 23rd February 2024, 06:16 PM   #19
MBDK
Muse

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
You should be looking for a Node book then. That focuses on the Moon and its influence.

I'm betting p0lka already Node dat.
MBDK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2024, 10:45 PM   #20
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MBDK View Post
I'm betting p0lka already Node dat.
Only if his sign is Aries.
Old 24th February 2024, 04:12 PM   #21
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Also, "astrologist"? Is that the new term?

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 24th February 2024, 06:31 PM   #22
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
How's the highlighted supposed to work?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2024, 07:04 PM   #23
Spektator

Also, "astrologist"? Is that the new term?
Some time around 2000 astrologists decided to call themselves astrologers instead, so astrologer is the newer and preferred term, on the argument that it is more consonant with astronomer and might give more credence to astrologers.
Old 24th February 2024, 09:17 PM   #24
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Some time around 2000 astrologists decided to call themselves astrologers instead, so astrologer is the newer and preferred term, on the argument that it is more consonant with astronomer and might give more credence to astrologers.
I've always known them as astrologers. You are literally the first person I've ever seen to use the term "astrologist".

And I used to be one back in the early 90s, so... you know. It's not like I know anything...

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 25th February 2024, 01:10 AM   #25
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

I've always known them as astrologers. You are literally the first person I've ever seen to use the term "astrologist".
Likewise.

Maurice Woodruff was an astrologer, not an astrologist, and he's been dead since 1973.
Old 25th February 2024, 05:09 AM   #26
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I've always known them as astrologers as well.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2024, 10:24 AM   #27
sackett
Philosopher

Hey, let 'em multiply words. It's what people do when they have no ideas but still need to make the rent.

Astrologism. Astrologitis.

Astroloquantum. Astroloquantumology.

Astrologeology. Cat's asstro biologistical.

See how easy it is? Boringly easy.

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2024, 03:47 PM   #28
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Hey, I'm always in favour of new word coinages. English is a very flexible languages. This was an unusual one, in my mindpinion.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 27th February 2024, 04:50 AM   #29
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The US was run by an Astrologer from 1981-1989, and that worked out fine, right?
Old 27th February 2024, 02:05 PM   #30
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The US was run by an Astrologer from 1981-1989, and that worked out fine, right?
It certainly hurt many Americans wallets, in the long run.
Thanks Nancy.

-

Just sayin'. No idea if she gave trickle-down her Astro blessing.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal