IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Reference » Forum Spotlight

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags trial , evolution , intelligent design , dover id trial

Old 12th November 2005, 05:40 PM   #521
delphi_ote
Philosopher

Quote:
I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God. You just rejected him from your city. -Pat Robertson
That's okay. They'll know the disaster is coming because of science, they'll know how to react because of science, and they'll know how to recover because of science. They might even be able to prevent the disaster because of science.

When a disaster is in your area, turn to rational thought. It's much more productive than bloviating about your angry imaginary friend.
delphi_ote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2005, 08:26 PM   #522
Ed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by delphi_ote View Post
bloviating
Ed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2005, 01:47 PM   #523
HeyLeroy
Vegan Cannibal

I SO wish I still had a copy of National Lampoon magazine from about twenty years ago. They published a cartoon that depicted a circle of what appeared to be lizards, standing in a tight huddle on a beach. One of the lizards was glaring suspiciously over his shoulders into the treeline. The caption was "The Conspiracy Theory of Evolution".

Grr, I wish I still had it!
I ♣ my baby Harp Seal.
HeyLeroy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2005, 10:21 PM   #524
delphi_ote
Philosopher

If you guys aren't regular Panda's Thumb readers, you're missing the laugh of a lifetime:

http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/...i_finds_t.html

Demsbski making a complete fool of himself. It's a riot!
delphi_ote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 12:17 AM   #525
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

He may be advocating "Intelligent Design", but he could use a bit of "smart" himself....
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 06:22 AM   #526
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

Great link! Thanks, Delphi.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 10:43 AM   #527
BillHoyt

If you guys aren't regular Panda's Thumb readers, you're missing the laugh of a lifetime:

http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/...i_finds_t.html

Demsbski making a complete fool of himself. It's a riot!
That is sooooooooooooooo utterly sad. Only the fact that so many are falling for his tripe makes its sadness pale in comparison.
BillHoyt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 10:51 AM   #528
drkitten
Penultimate Amazing

The final sessions transcripts are now available at aclupa.blogspot (see OP for details of web address). These include the closing argument for the defense.

It's every bit as shallow and stupid as one might have hoped/feared. Classic use of the "evolution is a mere theory, not a fact" lie, lots of "well, the board members did this, but you can't infer the the board's intentions from what the individual members did," "documents are irrelevant because actions speak louder than words," and the classic quote

"How can adding books to the school library be a bad thing? It is not."

as though that were the only issue in the case.
drkitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 01:27 PM   #529
Diamond
Illuminator

Originally Posted by drkitten View Post
....and the classic quote

"How can adding books to the school library be a bad thing? It is not."

as though that were the only issue in the case.
OK, I'll add:

The Koran
Justine
Ulysses
Mein Kampf
The Woman's Guide to Anal Sex

How can this possibly be a bad thing?
Diamond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 06:01 PM   #530
Dr Adequate
Banned

Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
Mein Kampf
"There are two theories about the existence of a Worldwide Jewish Conspiracy, and teaching both will improve students' critical thinking abilities and make the study of history more interesting for them. HEIL HITLER! SIEG HEIL! SIEG HEIL! DEUTSCHLAND DEUTSCHLAND UBER A-ALLES... oops, I just 'mispoke'. Obviously despite these few words quoted out of context, the Big Evil Jewish Conspiracy Theory is in no way Nazi or anti-semitic... whew... I think I got away with that one."
Dr Adequate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 06:06 PM   #531
delphi_ote
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
How can this possibly be a bad thing?
As long as you make sure to explicitly endorse the material contained in these books in class I see no problem with your idea.
Old 14th November 2005, 06:06 PM   #532
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

I'm suing the Adequate County School Board just so I can hear Dr. Adequate testify about the scientific nature of the Intelligent Worldwide Jewish Conspiracy Theory.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2005, 07:45 PM   #533
Dr Adequate
Banned

Oops. Did I say "Jews"? How last year of me. I misspoke again. I should have said "Intelligent Cosmopolitans". This theory of course has nothing to do with Jews whatsoever.

It may be my personal belief that the Intelligent Cosmopolitans behind history, economics, and culture are Jews, but my strictly scientific hypothesis is that these things all have a designer IT'S THE JEWS, MEIN FUEHRER, DIE JUDEN, JA! JA! ... excuse me... [wrenches right arm down in a Dr Strangelove kind of way] but this scientific hypothesis of the "Intelligent Cosmopolitans" does not mention any particular race. It could even be space aliens I'M TAKING ABOUT JEWS DAMMIT... ooos, misspoke again. Yes, aliens! Evil, miscengenating HOOK-NOSED ALIENS... oops, I'm off again.

(Note: "Cosmopolitans" is an anti-Semitic codeword for "Jews" when they want their intended audience, but not the casual observer, to know that they're being anti-semitic.)
Dr Adequate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2005, 12:00 AM   #534
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I see no problems with putting the ID book in the fiction section of the library.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2005, 06:09 AM   #535
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

I note that the acronym for Intelligent Cosmopolitans is IC. Veeeerrry interesting.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Old 15th November 2005, 06:50 AM   #536
Melendwyr
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Dr Adequate View Post
(Note: "Cosmopolitans" is an anti-Semitic codeword for "Jews" when they want their intended audience, but not the casual observer, to know that they're being anti-semitic.)
Ironic, considering that 'cosmopolitan' means "one whose allegiance is not given to any particular city-state, but is a citizen of the universe". It hasn't been an accurate codeword since the formation of Israel.
Melendwyr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2005, 07:13 AM   #537
BillHoyt

As long as you make sure to explicitly endorse the material contained in these books in class I see no problem with your idea.
Delphi? Did you really miss Diamond's irony? I can't believe that. It was meant to be fed back to (read: shoved back down the throats of) those making the original comment, and it was meant to be clearly unacceptable in their eyes.
BillHoyt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2005, 07:25 AM   #538
hammegk
Banned

Hmmm. Did someone miss the irony of delphi_ote's response?
hammegk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2005, 07:46 AM   #539
drkitten
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Melendwyr View Post
Ironic, considering that 'cosmopolitan' means "one whose allegiance is not given to any particular city-state, but is a citizen of the universe". It hasn't been an accurate codeword since the formation of Israel.
Is your suggestion that all Jews' allegiance is given to Israel?

If so, I'm afraid that you're completely innaccurate.
drkitten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2005, 08:06 AM   #540
Melendwyr
Master Poster

But this codeword is being applied to Jews who do give their allegiance to Israel. Thus the inaccuracy.
Melendwyr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2005, 08:10 AM   #541
delphi_ote
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BillHoyt View Post
Delphi? Did you really miss Diamond's irony? I can't believe that. It was meant to be fed back to (read: shoved back down the throats of) those making the original comment, and it was meant to be clearly unacceptable in their eyes.
Let's treat the books exactly like Pandas and People and take time out of the day to give the students the impression that the contents of these books is an adequate substitute for what's being taught in science class. I'm sure the intelligent design advocates will have no problem with this.

I think it's a great idea.

P.S. As with my previous post, this post is sarcasm.
Old 15th November 2005, 08:30 AM   #542
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

P.S. As with my previous post, this post is sarcasm.
Are you being serious? Surely, you don't mean that?
Old 15th November 2005, 08:48 AM   #543
BillHoyt

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Are you being serious? Surely, you don't mean that?
Shirley he jests?
Old 15th November 2005, 09:05 AM   #544
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Yeah, I'll testify to that.
Old 15th November 2005, 11:49 AM   #545
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

How long has Creationism and ID been around? No research worth a damn.

But with Flying Spagetti Monsterism we have serious work going on:

http://www.pandasthumb.org/archives/...g-breakin.html

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Old 15th November 2005, 07:19 PM   #546
Eos of the Eons
Mad Scientist

Something must be done. I made spaghetti the other night, in honor of his noodliness. My son still hates spaghetti! He wouldn't have a bite! Any advice? He'll eat any other noodle, but won't partake of the spaghettieism
The Lateral Truth: An Apostate's Bible Stories by Rebecca Bradley, read it!
Eos of the Eons is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2005, 07:38 PM   #547
delphi_ote
Philosopher

Shirley he jests?
Come now. Let's not bring Shirley into this!
Old 16th November 2005, 12:48 AM   #548
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Originally Posted by Eos of the Eons View Post
Something must be done. I made spaghetti the other night, in honor of his noodliness. My son still hates spaghetti! He wouldn't have a bite! Any advice? He'll eat any other noodle, but won't partake of the spaghettieism
The noodle directed scepticism of youth can often be assuaged by cheese.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2005, 06:00 AM   #549
Moose
Self-Propelled Road Hazard

No worries. Pastafarians aren't gluten-snobs like some religions. It is enough to partake of any sort of pasta dish, from the creamy Fettucini Alfredo, through the educational Alphabet Soup, right down to the ever-humble KD/Mac-and-Cheese for the starving students/artists among the faithful. It is all suitably reverential in the eyes of Him, our most Noodly Creator.

After all, the sacred offerings of Saint Boyardee come in over fourty varieties worldwide.

It's all good.

rAmen.
Moose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2005, 06:27 AM   #550
Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Nap, interrupted.

His Noodliness is ever munificent. She is pleased with whatever you eat, even if not pastafarious, as long as you merely give a sidelong glance to the sky while chowing down.

~~ Paul

RIP Mr. Skinny, Tim
Old 16th November 2005, 08:20 AM   #551
Ed
Philosopher

crucify him crucify him
Ed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2005, 08:28 AM   #552
Betenoire
Student

*sings, a la Elmer Fudd* Kill the sinnner, kill the sinner, kill the sinnnner...

If your son doesn't know a question on a test, he shouldn't come crying to His Noodliness, 'cause the FSM might not be there for him.
Betenoire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2005, 10:13 AM   #553
Diamond
Illuminator

We haven't had a poll on this and I think the time has come....
Diamond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2005, 10:30 AM   #554
BillHoyt

Come now. Let's not bring Shirley into this!
Agreed, so long as we're talking about Shirley, the Pastafarian.
Old 16th November 2005, 12:41 PM   #555
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Wow, you're right. I hadn't looked at the journals.

I just noticed Henry Schaefer's name on the list of ISCID fellows. And he's a fellow of the Discovery Institute, too. He is a very very big noise indeed in quantum chemistry. I hadn't realised he was an IDer.
Yeah, he's fine as long as he sticks with computational chemistry. Other than that, he is out there.

(he started at Berkeley but didn't stay there too long. Didn't quite fit in...)
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2005, 01:40 PM   #556
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Could the plaintiffs conceivably still drop the suit, even though the final arguments have already been made?
To answer my own question....

Backing out of lawsuit possible, but not simple
Old 17th November 2005, 02:08 PM   #557
BillHoyt

Wow! While I don't blame the new board for trying this, the old board still needs to answer for its bull. It is a shame the answer, slapping and fines need to be at the expense of the new board. And, of course, a judicial decision squarely against this garbage would be a wonderful shot over the bow of ID's weenie little paper boat, and I would rather see the caliber about to be shot, then have to wait for round II.
Old 17th November 2005, 02:49 PM   #558
delphi_ote
Philosopher

You KNOW how the ID community is going to spin this... awful awful awful.
Old 17th November 2005, 02:53 PM   #559
BillHoyt

You KNOW how the ID community is going to spin this... awful awful awful.
Wah! The g-d secular humanists won't let us be heard. We will prevail as soon as we rid 'murica of the pinkos in the closet. Oops, sorry, wrong decade! Rid 'murica of the cults of Satan responsible for secular humanism and its handmaiden, Science. It is NO accident Satan and Science both start with 'S'! Am I right, brothers? Can I get a witness?
Old 17th November 2005, 02:57 PM   #560
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Am I right, brothers? Can I get a witness?
Judging from this trial, yes, but not a good one.

International Skeptics Forum » Reference » Forum Spotlight