ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cults

Old 26th February 2018, 05:36 PM   #1
wasapi
Illuminator

The Family. Anne Hamilton-Byrne. Australia.

The other night I watched 48 Hours, and for the first time learned about the woman claiming to be Jesus reincarnated. She had many followers, many children of dubious origins, whom she dressed and groomed to look the same. Like perfect white, blond, children. This took place in Australia.

Those children were abused, water boarded, and routinely given LSD. The story was almost unbelievable. The thing is, as interesting as it was, I fell asleep before the end, but I believe she is still alive. Her cult was, I believe, in the 80's and 90's. It didn't seem to get much attention in the US.

Is anyone here, either from Australia or any place else, familiar with this case?
Old 26th February 2018, 06:21 PM   #2
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Go to town.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fa..._New_Age_group)
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2018, 06:52 PM   #3
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
The other night I watched 48 Hours, and for the first time learned about the woman claiming to be Jesus reincarnated. She had many followers, many children of dubious origins, whom she dressed and groomed to look the same. Like perfect white, blond, children. This took place in Australia.

Those children were abused, water boarded, and routinely given LSD. The story was almost unbelievable. The thing is, as interesting as it was, I fell asleep before the end, but I believe she is still alive. Her cult was, I believe, in the 80's and 90's. It didn't seem to get much attention in the US.

Is anyone here, either from Australia or any place else, familiar with this case?
So, either Village of the Damned or Children of the Corn or both!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2018, 06:53 PM   #4
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
So, either Village of the Damned or Children of the Corn or both!!!!!
Hopefully they skinned, cooked and ate her!!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2018, 06:55 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Seriously, what the ****, dude?
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2018, 09:50 PM   #6
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

She is 90-plus years old now and has been a decade in a home for the terminally bewildered (i.e. dementia). She will never be prosecuted.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2018, 10:56 PM   #7
mikado
Graduate Poster

There's a very interesting podcast on the Richard Fidler show about it
Old 26th February 2018, 11:38 PM   #8
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Seriously, what the ****, dude?
You did, I trust, read the OP.

Wash this space!

Old 26th February 2018, 11:47 PM   #9
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Not much to add, but an old mate of mine, then a senior officer with the Department of Community Services was involved in the raid at Lake Eildon in 1987. The aim was to take custody of the kids. As I recall the raid was botched and the kids returned.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2018, 09:42 AM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You did, I trust, read the OP.
Nothing in the OP justifies torture-cannibalism in retaliation.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2018, 09:52 AM   #11
Worm
Graduate Poster

That Wiki page is not really the best written in the world.

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2018, 09:57 AM   #12
wasapi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
That Wiki page is not really the best written in the world.
I looked at it, and you are right. I'm always interested in those who join cults. I'll never understand.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors