ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheists , Lawrence Krauss , sexual misconduct charges

Reply
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:40 AM   #321
d4m10n
Master Poster
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 2,946
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Oh golly, Krauss and his apologists were making excuses LONG after...
After the emails from 2015? Citation needed.
__________________
I'm a happy SINner on the Skeptic Ink Network!
Background Probability: Against Irrationality, Innumeracy, and Ignobility
http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobability/
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:57 AM   #322
The Big Dog
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,382
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
After the emails from 2015? Citation needed.
Wait, that is your argument?

After Krauss embarrassed himself and debased his scientific credentials defending an admitted pedophile you want another example of Krauss defending the pedophile?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sleazy...tephen-hawking

Now certainly you can find where Krauss retracted his glowing defenses of "the pervy pimp Jeffrey Epstein, who purportedly lurked around like a fox in the Palm Beach hen house, fixing his horndog politicos with any one of his harem of pubescent girls."

Certainly.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 10:02 AM   #323
d4m10n
Master Poster
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 2,946
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Wait, that is your argument?
You claim that Krauss is aware of the 2015 emails. My argument is that you should back up this affirmative claim, because skepticism.
__________________
I'm a happy SINner on the Skeptic Ink Network!
Background Probability: Against Irrationality, Innumeracy, and Ignobility
http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobability/
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 10:08 AM   #324
StackOverflow
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 179
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Wait, that is your argument?

After Krauss embarrassed himself and debased his scientific credentials defending an admitted pedophile you want another example of Krauss defending the pedophile?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/sleazy...tephen-hawking

Now certainly you can find where Krauss retracted his glowing defenses of "the pervy pimp Jeffrey Epstein, who purportedly lurked around like a fox in the Palm Beach hen house, fixing his horndog politicos with any one of his harem of pubescent girls."

Certainly.
Translation:

Pedophiles outside of the RCC -> very very very bad


Pedophiles inside of the RCC -> nothing to see here folks, move along

Edited by Agatha:  Edited to remove breach of rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by Agatha; 3rd March 2018 at 01:03 PM.
StackOverflow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 10:25 AM   #325
The Big Dog
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,382
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
You claim that Krauss is aware of the 2015 emails. My argument is that you should back up this affirmative claim, because skepticism.
the latest I can find Laurence Krauss commenting on Epstein in January of 2015, did you find something later, say in the nature of a retraction?

But you are correct there is always the possibility that Krauss is unaware of the emails leading up to the plea bargain which mentioned 30 plus victims involving his good friend Jeffery Epstein after which Krauss embarrassed himself by claiming he used science and empirical evidence to defend Jeffrey

Really well argued, you have indeed created a doubt about the exact extent of Krauss’s knowledge of the 34 confirmed minors that were mentioned in plea bargain, which Krauss was aware of.

Solid. Lol!
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 10:35 AM   #326
d4m10n
Master Poster
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 2,946
Perhaps you are correct to assume that Krauss was just as motivated to research the details of plea deal as you appear to be. Then again, perhaps not.
__________________
I'm a happy SINner on the Skeptic Ink Network!
Background Probability: Against Irrationality, Innumeracy, and Ignobility
http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobability/
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 10:51 AM   #327
The Big Dog
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,382
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Perhaps you are correct to assume that Krauss was just as motivated to research the details of plea deal as you appear to be. Then again, perhaps not.
Well he put his reputation on the line as a scientist to defend him, but I agree, Krauss was probably motivated to ignore the details of the details of the crimes committed by his good friend.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 10:52 AM   #328
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,656
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post


Just two verified underage sex slaves then?

Ok
Once again you make it up as you go. He was charged with prostitution offenses not under aged sex. Here's a sworn statement from the prosecutor:

Quote:
One of the women who is now suing the government insisted Epstein never abused her, Villafana wrote in a sworn affidavit.

“I hope Jeffrey, nothing happens to Jeffrey because he’s an awesome man and it would really be a shame,” the woman, identified only as Jane Doe 2, told FBI agents in 2007.
Your hand wringing is just hand wringing according to the people who are paid to prosecute and who are now filing lawsuits.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:00 AM   #329
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,656
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Well he put his reputation on the line as a scientist to defend him, but I agree, Krauss was probably motivated to ignore the details of the details of the crimes committed by his good friend.
BS! He stated that as a scientist he has to go with the evidence he had and that he never saw Epstein with anyone underage, stating all the women he saw Epstein with were in the 1o-23 year old range. No science was embarrassed. [SNIP]
Edited by KMortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

Last edited by kmortis; 13th March 2018 at 08:32 AM.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:05 AM   #330
The Big Dog
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,382
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Once again you make it up as you go. He was charged with prostitution offenses not under aged sex. Here's a sworn statement from the prosecutor:

Your hand wringing is just hand wringing according to the people who are paid to prosecute and who are now filing lawsuits.
“While Villafana said she didn’t believe her, she also understood the young woman’s suffering. Further, she knew she couldn’t force her or Epstein’s more than two dozen other victims to testify against him.”

He is awesome! Now that sounds like something a juvenile sex abuse victim would say about her abuser.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 3rd March 2018 at 11:14 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:14 AM   #331
The Big Dog
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,382
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
BS! He stated that as a scientist he has to go with the evidence he had and that he never saw Epstein with anyone underage, stating all the women he saw Epstein with were in the 1o-23 year old range. No science was embarrassed. [SNIP]
Edited by KMortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12
Ah yes, the empirical evidence that the women Epstein was with were 19-23.

Stand back, I am going to do SCIENCE using the scientific maxim “That's what I love about these high school girls, man. I get older, they stay the same age. All right, all right, all right.”

Oh yeah, she’s 18, go for it man.

[SNIP]
Edited by KMortis:  Removed response to previously moderated content

Last edited by kmortis; 13th March 2018 at 08:33 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:24 AM   #332
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,656
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
He is awesome! Now that sounds like something a juvenile sex abuse victim would say about her abuser.
In your mind perhaps but we know for sure it is something non-victims say.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:26 AM   #333
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,656
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Stand back, I am going to do SCIENCE . . .
No, you never have.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:36 AM   #334
The Big Dog
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,382
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
In your mind perhaps but we know for sure it is something non-victims say.
Actually we know that when she reached the age of majority she said that Epstein sexually abused her starting when she was 14. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/fl-jeffr...705-story.html

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
No, you never have.
Well certainly not the type of science that enabled our hero Krauss to scientifically determine that his good buddy was not sexually abusing minors (even though he was).

It is science you see? Of course
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 12:06 PM   #335
d4m10n
Master Poster
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 2,946
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Well he put his reputation on the line as a scientist to defend him, but I agree, Krauss was probably motivated to ignore the details of the details of the crimes committed by his good friend.
Good to see we are finally on the same page here.

Now what has any of this to do with the allegations I listed earlier?
__________________
I'm a happy SINner on the Skeptic Ink Network!
Background Probability: Against Irrationality, Innumeracy, and Ignobility
http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobability/
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 12:11 PM   #336
The Big Dog
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,382
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Good to see we are finally on the same page here.

Now what has any of this to do with the allegations I listed earlier?
I don't recall ever saying anything about the allegations you listed.

What do those allegations have to do with Krauss' reprehensible defense of Jeffrey Epstein?
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 12:54 PM   #337
d4m10n
Master Poster
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 2,946
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I don't recall ever saying anything about the allegations you listed.

What do those allegations have to do with Krauss' reprehensible defense of Jeffrey Epstein?
Nothing, AFAIK.

*looks at thread title*
__________________
I'm a happy SINner on the Skeptic Ink Network!
Background Probability: Against Irrationality, Innumeracy, and Ignobility
http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobability/
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 01:00 PM   #338
The Big Dog
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,382
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Nothing, AFAIK.

*looks at thread title*
Also looks at thread title, and can easily imagine that the new allegations are just the tip of the iceberg.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 03:05 PM   #339
d4m10n
Master Poster
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 2,946
Nothing makes for thoroughgoing skepticism quite like an active imagination.
__________________
I'm a happy SINner on the Skeptic Ink Network!
Background Probability: Against Irrationality, Innumeracy, and Ignobility
http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobability/
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 04:19 PM   #340
The Big Dog
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,382
Curious having the self appointed skepticism judged someone so credulous that they would shill for a person who sold out his scientific credentials to shill for a convicted pedophile.

Bit of the old irony there.....
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 04:23 PM   #341
d4m10n
Master Poster
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 2,946
Unwarranted accuations of shilling are an excellent look on a skeptic forum. Keep going.
__________________
I'm a happy SINner on the Skeptic Ink Network!
Background Probability: Against Irrationality, Innumeracy, and Ignobility
http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobability/
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 04:33 PM   #342
The Big Dog
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,382
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
BS! He stated that as a scientist he has to go with the evidence he had and that he never saw Epstein with anyone underage, stating all the women he saw Epstein with were in the 1o-23 year old range. No science was embarrassed. [SNIP]
Edited by KMortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Unwarranted accuations of shilling are an excellent look on a skeptic forum. Keep going.
Uh oh, trouble in paradise.

And I am not talking about Epstein’s Deflower Virgin Island, where Krauss spent plenty of time.

Last edited by kmortis; 13th March 2018 at 08:33 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2018, 01:00 AM   #343
SezMe
post-pre-born
 
SezMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 22,538
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
That's what SJWs do, they strawman everything to fit their warped narrative. Thanks for the stellar example.
That's what ignorant people do, they use a derogatory term like SJWs to avoid dealing with the real issue. Thanks for the stellar example.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2018, 01:13 AM   #344
SezMe
post-pre-born
 
SezMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 22,538
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
BS! He stated that as a scientist he has to go with the evidence he had and that he never saw Epstein with anyone underage, stating all the women he saw Epstein with were in the 1o-23 year old range. No science was embarrassed. [SNIP]
Edited by KMortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12
Science WAS embarrassed. Your accepting that argument by Krauss is equally as embarrassing.

Last edited by kmortis; 13th March 2018 at 08:34 AM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2018, 02:11 PM   #345
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,656
Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Science WAS embarrassed. Your accepting that argument by Krauss is equally as embarrassing.
A scientist once said "Well then, bees shouldn't be able to fly!" Was science embarrassed then too?
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2018, 02:12 PM   #346
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,656
Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
That's what ignorant people do, they use a derogatory term like SJWs to avoid dealing with the real issue. Thanks for the stellar example.
Your claim is false.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 07:31 AM   #347
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,221
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
BS! He stated that as a scientist he has to go with the evidence he had and that he never saw Epstein with anyone underage, stating all the women he saw Epstein with were in the 1o-23 year old range.
And this would be a supremely embarrassing error for a scientist to make. "Well I never saw it, so I can dismiss it," can be applied to all kinds of fun topics, such as evolution, climate change, or the link between smoking and cancer.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 07:37 AM   #348
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin
 
zooterkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkshire, mostly
Posts: 39,869
A statement on the Richard Dawkins Foundation Facebook page:

Quote:
Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason & Science

Official Statement: The Center for Inquiry is committed to a policy (http://ow.ly/eaKH30iL3uS) of zero-tolerance for sexual harassment. Serious allegations have been raised regarding Lawrence Krauss, and we suspend our association with him pending further information.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.Bertrand Russell
Zooterkin is correct Darat
Nerd! Hokulele
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 07:43 AM   #349
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,105
<snip>


Edited by Loss Leader:  Edited in full - responding to moderated content.
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!

Last edited by Loss Leader; 5th March 2018 at 02:48 PM.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 07:46 AM   #350
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,105
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Well he put his reputation on the line as a scientist to defend him, but I agree, Krauss was probably motivated to ignore the details of the details of the crimes committed by his good friend.
I am curious how he could have used science to prove/defend such. Any details (note I am not arguing with you this trip, just curious).
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 07:48 AM   #351
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,105
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
BS! He stated that as a scientist he has to go with the evidence he had and that he never saw Epstein with anyone underage, stating all the women he saw Epstein with were in the 1o-23 year old range. No science was embarrassed. [SNIP]
Edited by KMortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 12
Uhhhm did you really mean 10-23 year range? I ask for the hopefully clear and obvious reason..........
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!

Last edited by kmortis; 13th March 2018 at 08:34 AM.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 07:52 AM   #352
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,105
Ooops given a normal keyboard it is probable but not certain you hit the o key when you were going for the 9 key mostly above it........... That would make sense...
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 07:58 AM   #353
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys
 
fuelair's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 57,105
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
A scientist once said "Well then, bees shouldn't be able to fly!" Was science embarrassed then too?
Because they were using lift calculations for airplanes (fixed wing) not helicopters (moveable wings). Got sorted out pretty quickly. The basic story has shown up mostly as : " Science says bees can't fly, but they do it anyway!!" One of many thing anti-science idiots use when they hate what science knows but it doesn't make sense to them/hurtses they widdle bwainses!!!!
__________________
There is no problem so great that it cannot be fixed by small explosives carefully placed.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 09:03 AM   #354
d4m10n
Master Poster
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 2,946
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
A statement on the Richard Dawkins Foundation Facebook page:
Fascinating post.

If RDF cuts Krauss loose, who will still have him? Those blokes were like bros.

__________________
I'm a happy SINner on the Skeptic Ink Network!
Background Probability: Against Irrationality, Innumeracy, and Ignobility
http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobability/

Last edited by d4m10n; 5th March 2018 at 09:21 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 09:25 AM   #355
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,656
Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Because they were using lift calculations for airplanes (fixed wing) not helicopters (moveable wings). Got sorted out pretty quickly. The basic story has shown up mostly as : " Science says bees can't fly, but they do it anyway!!" One of many thing anti-science idiots use when they hate what science knows but it doesn't make sense to them/hurtses they widdle bwainses!!!!
Exactly. The point is, science isn't embarrassed when a scientist goes with the data available to them until other data is available. But the SJWs hate anything that doesn't fit their narrative.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 09:30 AM   #356
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 12,656
Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
And this would be a supremely embarrassing error for a scientist to make. "Well I never saw it, so I can dismiss it," can be applied to all kinds of fun topics, such as evolution, climate change, or the link between smoking and cancer.
Someone says to you, "Your friend Bill is a pedophile and surroinds himself with children!"

You respond by saying, "I hang with Bill a lot and have never seen him with anyone under tge age of about 21. I'll have to go with the evidence I have and say he isn't a pedophile who surrounds himself with kids."

Should you be embarrassed for saying that?
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 09:38 AM   #357
d4m10n
Master Poster
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 2,946
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Someone says to you, "Your friend Bill is a pedophile and surroinds himself with children!"

You respond by saying, "I hang with Bill a lot and have never seen him with anyone under tge age of about 21. I'll have to go with the evidence I have and say he isn't a pedophile who surrounds himself with kids."

Should you be embarrassed for saying that?
Of course, yes, when it turns out Bill is a pedophile who surrounds himself with children.
__________________
I'm a happy SINner on the Skeptic Ink Network!
Background Probability: Against Irrationality, Innumeracy, and Ignobility
http://skepticink.com/backgroundprobability/
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 09:51 AM   #358
Jono
Graduate Poster
 
Jono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1,975
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
A statement on the Richard Dawkins Foundation Facebook page:
Good call.
__________________
"I don't believe I ever saw an Oklahoman who wouldn't fight at the drop of a hat -- and frequently drop the hat himself." - Robert E. Howard
Jono is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 10:27 AM   #359
I Am The Scum
Illuminator
 
I Am The Scum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3,221
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Someone says to you, "Your friend Bill is a pedophile and surroinds himself with children!"

You respond by saying, "I hang with Bill a lot and have never seen him with anyone under tge age of about 21. I'll have to go with the evidence I have and say he isn't a pedophile who surrounds himself with kids."

Should you be embarrassed for saying that?
If it were years after Bill took a plea deal and served time, yeah, I'd be really embarrassed.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 11:18 AM   #360
kellyb
Philosopher
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,431
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Of course, yes, when it turns out Bill is a pedophile who surrounds himself with children.
Well, that's because you're not a...peculiar...person who finds it reasonable to believe that Epstein quite possibly thought he was dealing with an ethical sex trafficker of teenagers.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:06 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.