ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th September 2018, 02:52 PM   #81
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Interesting... I started looking up some info on the strait between Sicily and Italy (Messina), expecting a straightforward "if they haven't done it here..." comparison, since it's much narrower & wider and its location would make the cultural and climatological issues obviously favor a Messina bridge over a Bering one by a wide margin... but it turned out that there's one factor pointing the other way, which could very well swamp all other considerations and make the comparison useless: Messina is five times as deep (which also implies a much steeper slope at the bottom). This is why we look things up first, kids! I wonder if a better comparison can be found somewhere between Asia and Australia...
There was a proposal to build a dam there, and another all the way from Sicily to Africa. That would happen after the one at Gibraltar, dropping the sea level of the Med by 100m. The second phase would drop the eastern Med by another 100m.
Old 12th September 2018, 03:11 PM   #82
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Ice floes and depth would not be a problem to a tunnel.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 03:22 PM   #83
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Ice floes and depth would not be a problem to a tunnel.
Nor to a sky tram.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 03:35 PM   #84
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I think the most practical superbridge project would be to connect the South Orkney Islands to the regular Orkney Islands. It's supremely logical.
Old 12th September 2018, 03:53 PM   #85
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I think the most practical superbridge project would be to connect the South Orkney Islands to the regular Orkney Islands. It's supremely logical.

I thought the plan was to use the Thalidomide Islands?

Quote:
With the two Diomede Islands between the peninsulas, the Bering Strait could be spanned by a bridge/tunnel. There might be one long bridge, almost 40 kilometres (25 mi) long, connecting Alaska and the Diomede Islands, and a tunnel connecting the Diomede Islands and Russia. The earth bored from the tunnel could be used as landfill to connect the two islands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bering_Strait_crossing
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 04:08 PM   #86
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

As to how bad the weather is in that part of the world:
During the Aleutians campaign of World War 2, both sides often resorted to bombing by dead reckoning because the weather was so bad.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2018, 04:25 PM   #87
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
As to how bad the weather is in that part of the world:
During the Aleutians campaign of World War 2, both sides often resorted to bombing by dead reckoning because the weather was so bad.
And that was hundreds of miles further south. You can also just watch The Deadliest Catch.
Old 12th September 2018, 09:36 PM   #88
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

It is indeed supremely lexical, but I'm not sure what the inhabitants of the South Orkney Islands would want with such a bridge. Although I'd imagine that *you* might be able to speculate. And I am willing to be convinced.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2018, 02:11 AM   #89
wobs
Graduate Poster

I was expecting a proposal to bridge the peaks of Mount Kilimanjaro.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilimanjaro_Expedition
Old 13th September 2018, 04:49 AM   #90
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
It is indeed supremely lexical, but I'm not sure what the inhabitants of the South Orkney Islands would want with such a bridge. Although I'd imagine that *you* might be able to speculate. And I am willing to be convinced.
If they didn't want to connect to the regular Orkneys they should have renamed themselves!

Same goes for New Jersey and Jersey, New York and York, and New South Wales and Wales. Mandatory bridges!!
Old 13th September 2018, 06:29 AM   #91
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Interesting... I started looking up some info on the strait between Sicily and Italy (Messina), expecting a straightforward "if they haven't done it here..." comparison, since it's much narrower & wider and its location would make the cultural and climatological issues obviously favor a Messina bridge over a Bering one by a wide margin... but it turned out that there's one factor pointing the other way, which could very well swamp all other considerations and make the comparison useless: Messina is five times as deep (which also implies a much steeper slope at the bottom). This is why we look things up first, kids! I wonder if a better comparison can be found somewhere between Asia and Australia...
Same problem, there's 3 km deep trenches between the islands on the Asian side and the Australian side.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timor_Sea

Now, one could, I suppose, build a bunch of bridges between Australia and New Guinea through the Torres Strait Islands, since they come within a couple of kilometres of the coast in both directions, but why would you want to? Apart from the environmental damage it would never have a chance in hell of paying for itself. Also it would get destroyed by cyclones once a decade at least.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 10:51 AM   #92
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Would people catapults be too wrong? Also bridges made of floating oil barrels might work since they are both cheap to replace as well as flexible to waves and wind.

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 14th September 2018 at 10:53 AM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 11:52 AM   #93
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by MinnesotaBrant View Post
Would people catapults be too wrong? Also bridges made of floating oil barrels might work since they are both cheap to replace as well as flexible to waves and wind.
Catapults are almost always wrong. Now if you want to talk about trebuchets, I think you might be on to something . . . .

And cleaning those oil barrels would take a lot of work. Not sure it is worth the effort.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 12:09 PM   #94
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Catapults are almost always wrong. Now if you want to talk about trebuchets, I think you might be on to something . . . .

And cleaning those oil barrels would take a lot of work. Not sure it is worth the effort.
I always tell people all trebuchets are catapults, but not all catapults are trebuchets. And I've got both kinds.
Old 14th September 2018, 04:12 PM   #95
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I always tell people all trebuchets are catapults, but not all catapults are trebuchets. And I've got both kinds.
It's like the old logic riddle: you have two siege engines, and one always tells the truth while the other always lies, and you can only ask one of them one question, so what do you ask?

The surgeon is the kid's mother, and you're sexist.
Old 14th September 2018, 04:58 PM   #96
MinnesotaBrant
Illuminator

Don't let a lie stand in the way of a good story! I also think a barrel bridge would probably have to be super stretchy so it won't snap; like if they used rope

Last edited by MinnesotaBrant; 14th September 2018 at 05:00 PM.
MinnesotaBrant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2018, 06:02 PM   #97
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Russians on one side. Alaskans on the other.

One giant drunk driving incident on floating barrels and whales is perhaps not such a good idea.

Last edited by fishbob; 14th September 2018 at 06:03 PM.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events