ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM   #2001
smartcooky
Philosopher

smartcooky has a birthday
Originally Posted by River View Post
Does anyone think these documents might change things or did anyone notice this?
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yes, Trump is declassifying a bunch of stuff. Basically its a hail mary, an attempt to discredit the people investigating his many potential crimes.
One of the worst aspects of this stupid action by Trump is that, not only will it compromise the FBI by publicly revealing some of their methods of gaining information about criminal activity, it is almost certainly going to expose confidential sources of information used by the FBI... In a very real sense, part of their NOC list will be in the clear, and that will lead to, at best ruined careers, and worst, deaths.

Every ruined career and every murdered informant will be on Trump's head. Not that he will care... its all about No. 1 with the Dolt, he cares about no-one but himself.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:16 AM   #2002
Iamafalser
Scholar

And if their "sources" are only the Steele dossier and their methods are illegal leaks to the press then how does that endanger anyone?
Iamafalser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:35 AM   #2003
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I have no doubt that Mueller and pals would love to find something to go after Trump for. One would assume they have been doing their best to do so for quite some time now. I don't think any previous president has gone through such a thorough "probe" or review. Unprecedented? I suspect Mueller would love obstruction of justice, but Trump would never be convicted of that in any court. Could he be charged with it? For what exactly?

I've seen many toss out theories about money laundering without any proof also. Do you suspect Trump of election rigging? Based on? Just curious what yourself and others may think Trump could possibly end up charged with. "collusion"?

Does anyone think these documents might change things or did anyone notice this?

I have some suspicions that exposing the roots may be interesting.
Is it fair to say, then, that you believe Mueller and his investigation to be partisan and without merit, and that Trump is innocent of the things that many believe him to be guilty of - conspiracy with the Russians, money-laundering, obstruction of justice?
Old Today, 02:46 AM   #2004
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/KenDilanianNBC/s...53490011529219

Quote:
Just in, per @garretthaake: Sen. @MarkWarner, who has read the documents, says of Trump's decision to declassify raw intelligence about his campaign's alleged conspiracy with Russia: "Be careful what you wish for."
Nunes memo Part II?
Old Today, 02:52 AM   #2005
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

It is amazing how little sense of self-preservation Trump has: with his financial history, I wouldn't make it my sport to piss off the FBI at every opportunity.
Old Today, 02:55 AM   #2006
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that the investigation into Page was active for months before the Steele Dossier was given to the FBI, and that the Dossier wasn't seen by the team investigating Page and the Trump campaign until 7 weeks after it had been handed in
Old Today, 02:58 AM   #2007
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

What we have to always keep in mind is that there is no reason in hell why these documents should be made public: the Senate can review them, order investigations etc.: it is none of the public's business.
Old Today, 03:05 AM   #2008
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Iamafalser View Post
And if their "sources" are only the Steele dossier and their methods are illegal leaks to the press then how does that endanger anyone?
Only a Trumpster would be naÔve enough to believe that.

You do understand, don't you, that the investigation was under way well before the Steele dossier had ever even been heard of?

Where do you think they were getting their information from... the back of a Froot Loops packet?
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 03:13 AM   #2009
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

The Mueller investigation isn't a TV crime drama: no judge will ignore all the evidence gathered so far because of some "fruit-of-the-poisonous-tree" BS.
No judge or jury so far has.
Old Today, 03:36 AM   #2010
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

What is ironic is that the fact that it has already resulted in many prosecutions seems to have totally passed by many Trump supporters.

Shouldn't people who break laws be prosecuted?
Old Today, 04:11 AM   #2011
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What is ironic is that the fact that it has already resulted in many prosecutions seems to have totally passed by many Trump supporters.
Since Dolt 45 took office, the Mueller investigation has charges 34 people and three companies on over 100 criminal counts.

Six of them (including three Trump associates) have pled guilty, and one haqs been convicted.

Michael Cohen - Guilty
Paul Manafort - Guilty
Mike Flynn - Guilty
George Papadopoulos - Guilty
Sam Patten - Guilty
Alex van der Zwaan _Guilty
Rick Gates - Guilty
Richard Pinedo - guilty
Konstantin V. Kilimnik
Old Today, 04:23 AM   #2012
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Since Dolt 45 took office, the Mueller investigation has charges 34 people and three companies on over 100 criminal counts.

Six of them (including three Trump associates) have pled guilty, and one haqs been convicted.

Michael Cohen - Guilty
Paul Manafort - Guilty
Mike Flynn - Guilty
George Papadopoulos - Guilty
Sam Patten - Guilty
Alex van der Zwaan _Guilty
Rick Gates - Guilty
Richard Pinedo - guilty
Konstantin V. Kilimnik
Yep - it is indeed a witch hunt, bad time to be a witch...
Old Today, 04:44 AM   #2013
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Yep - it is indeed a witch hunt, bad time to be a witch...
Mueller hasn't found a single witch yet!

Those are all Warlocks!
Old Today, 05:33 AM   #2014
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

National security experts say that the declassifying of the portions of the FISA application could be dangerous to the US
Old Today, 05:40 AM   #2015
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I also found this from the other day interesting: Trump hasn't issued a direct presidential order to declassify the documents, and the DoJ is treating the request as they would had it been made by anybody in the US, according to one expert
Old Today, 05:43 AM   #2016
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
But it will make Trump happy as he thinks it will show he is being unfairly persecuted, so what does the highlighted part have to do with anything?
Old Today, 05:44 AM   #2017
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
They need to tell him it has to be a written order in his own handwriting. That will put the kibosh on it for a few years.
Old Today, 06:00 AM   #2018
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not so sure those two are comparable due to the varied reasons they began. Clinton did get a long ongoing investigation for sure, as did Nixon. In the end we'll see what if anything ends up sticking to Trump. I'm not convinced by any of the current evidence.
This is an absurd post hoc rationalization. I suspect that if I listed other long-lasting investigations, you'd deem them not comparable for some reason or another.

You made a spectacularly false claim. Own it.

Last edited by varwoche; Today at 06:06 AM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 06:09 AM   #2019
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
This is an absurd post hoc rationalization. I suspect that if I listed other long-lasting investigations, you'd deem them not comparable for some reason or another.

You made a spectacularly false claim. Own it.
He put his goal post on wheels.
Old Today, 07:02 AM   #2020
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
He put his goal post on wheels.

It's never a good sign when someone is chasing after their own goal posts yelling, "Wait for meee! Wait for meee!!".
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:15 AM   #2021
Mumbles
Philosopher

But it will make Trump happy as he thinks it will show he is being unfairly persecuted, so what does the highlighted part have to do with anything?
There's one problem: Dolt 45 doesn't read. So not only will they possibly damage FBI methods, and CIA methods, they'll likely only harm him as well.

But it'll make Nunes, Hannity, and whoever shows up on the Tucker Carlson White Power Hour say he's innocent, so he'll be happy for now.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics