ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th June 2020, 07:43 PM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

US Census Reveals Dramatic Demographic Changes

Changing face of America: Nonwhites and Hispanics now make up majority of people under age 16, as census data shows non-Hispanic whites could become a minority in 25 years

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
  • The US Hispanic population has risen by 20 per cent within the last 10 years
  • Census Bureau figures show the number of non-Hispanic whites are declining as deaths surpassed births and immigration to US slows down
  • Minority groups are growing in size with Asian population seeing the biggest increase in the past decade by almost 30 per cent
  • The senior citizen population has also increased by more than a third as the Baby Boomer generation ages into the demographic

Nonwhites and Hispanics made up the majority of people under age 16 in the US for the first time in 2019, as new Census Bureau figures show the nation has grown more ethnically and racially diverse over the last decade.

Data released on Thursday show a demographic shift in the United States that could see non-Hispanic whites become a minority in about 25 years.

According to the figures, the white population is on the decline as the number of deaths have exceeded births among the group and white immigration to the US has slowed down.

Meanwhile, minority groups continue to grow in size with the Asian population seeing the biggest increase of any demographic in the past decade by almost 30 per cent.

Almost two-third of that growth was driven by international migration.

The Black population grew by almost 12 per cent over the decade, and the white population increased by 4.3 per cent.

The Hispanic population has risen by 20 per cent since 2010, with almost three-quarters of that growth coming from a natural increase that comes when more people are born than die.

'We are browning from bottom up in our age structure,' said William Frey, a senior fellow at The Brookings Institution.

'This is going to be a diversified century for the United States, and it's beginning with this youngest generation.'

Since 2010, the number of whites who aren't Hispanic had dropped by more than 16,600 people.

But the decline has been escalating in the past three years, with the number of non-Hispanic whites falling by more than a half million people from 2016 to 2019, according to the Census Bureau population estimates.

In 2019, a little under 40 per cent of the total US population was either nonwhite or Hispanic.

A natural decrease from the number of deaths exceeding births, plus a slowdown in immigration to the US, contributed to the population drop since 2010 for non-Hispanic whites, whose median age of 43.7 last year was by far the highest of any demographic group.

If these numbers hold for the 2020 census being conducted right now, it will be the first time since the first decennial census in 1790 that there has been a national decline of whites, Frey said.

'It's aging. Of course, we didn't have a lot of immigration, that has gone down,' Frey said. 'White fertility has gone down.'

In fact, the decrease in births among the white population has led to a dip in the number of people under age 18 in the past decade, a drop exacerbated by the fact that the much larger Millennial cohort has aged out of that group, replaced by a smaller Generation Z...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-youngest.html
Old 26th June 2020, 08:56 PM   #2
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I bet that's going to make some white people really nervous.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 09:09 PM   #3
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Why? Is being a minority disadvantageous or something in the US?

tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 09:11 PM   #4
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Changing face of America: Nonwhites and Hispanics now make up majority of people under age 16, as census data shows non-Hispanic whites could become a minority in 25 years

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-youngest.html
Promoting divisive Nazi White genocide propaganda again? Conspiracy forum is over there ====>
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 09:30 PM   #5
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Why? Is being a minority disadvantageous or something in the US?

It reminds me of the `90s time travel science fiction series Time Trax. The main character was a police officer from the late 22nd Century, when white people had become a minority in the US, often referred to with the slur "Blanco". One of the villains was the leader of a domestic terrorist group dedicated to restoring white people to their "rightful position of dominance", and he couldn't understand why the main character wasn't on his side.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 10:04 PM   #6
Checkmite

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Promoting divisive Nazi White genocide propaganda again? Conspiracy forum is over there ====>
The simple fact that demographics are changing isn't Nazi propaganda.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 10:11 PM   #7
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

No me. I am looking forward to set-asides, preferences for college admissions, being able to call other minorities racists, complain about how TV shows always make the white male the goat.... I'm telling you it's micro-aggressions.

Let me know when we can have a riot and burn down some suburbs.

Last edited by casebro; 26th June 2020 at 10:12 PM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 03:11 AM   #8
catsmate
No longer the 1

The simple fact that demographics are changing isn't Nazi propaganda.
But the idea that this is "a problem" that must be "solved" is very much a rightist belief.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 03:18 AM   #9
3point14
Pi

Give back the annexed land back to Mexico, job done.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 05:38 AM   #10
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
complain about how TV shows always make the white male the goat..

Have you watched many sitcoms? For fathers and husbands, that's been the case for decades.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 06:04 AM   #11
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

I am in a diverse community. A year ago per-Covid-19 I was sitting in a cafe and for some reason I consciously noted that I was in the middle of people of all ethnicities, all backgrounds. And it just made me feel incredibly lucky to be able to be part of all that, to have all those cultures and ideas to share and experience.

I have to admit: thinking about the all the types of food was up there in my list of joys.

I feel sorry for those who experience fear instead.

Last edited by Giordano; 27th June 2020 at 06:06 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 06:14 AM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

No me. I am looking forward to set-asides, preferences for college admissions, being able to call other minorities racists, complain about how TV shows always make the white male the goat.... I'm telling you it's micro-aggressions.

What is "the goat"?

Is it Greatest Of All Time, or an animal we call "goat", or what?
Old 27th June 2020, 06:35 AM   #13
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
But the idea that this is "a problem" that must be "solved" is very much a rightist belief.
I could imagine all kinds of people/races looking at the census and having a problem. Those would be ones who see what they believe is "excessive population growth" and proceed with their reasoning on this entirely irrespective of race. Or, they could look at the different races and point out those that they believe are the "main culprits" for what they regard as a problem.

A black, brown, or Asian person, or whatever, could do that just as easily as any white person. But you were talking about "rightist belief" and I think that "leftist belief" might also sometimes include "we got us excessive population growth here."
Old 27th June 2020, 08:39 AM   #14
Mojo
Mostly harmless

What is "the goat"?

A song by Sonny Boy Williamson II.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 12:16 PM   #15
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Yep, being a minority is just the greatest.

Jesus wept.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 01:44 PM   #16
Checkmite

I could imagine all kinds of people/races looking at the census and having a problem. Those would be ones who see what they believe is "excessive population growth" and proceed with their reasoning on this entirely irrespective of race. Or, they could look at the different races and point out those that they believe are the "main culprits" for what they regard as a problem.
I could imagine being the captain of a big spaceship whose present mission is trying to help broker a peace treaty between two mutually-antagonistic alien factions, with the negotiations being hosted on my ship while the delegates' vessels follow alongside. Except the negotiations are stalled because they can't agree on anything. I respond by giving an exceptional speech trying to explain to both factions the positive benefits of cooperation and setting differences aside, and it seems that I've started to actually make some inroads on the opinions of one of the sides but the senior delegate of the other remains obstinate and dramatically declares an end to the summit. Minutes after this declaration, my spaceship is suddenly attacked by a fourth party, a regional (in an interstellar sense) power that is bent on gaining more territory and control. My ship and the ships of the two negotiating diplomatic parties are moderately damaged, but we manage to defeat the attacking vessel at the last minute and capture some of its crew. Interrogating one of the higher-level officers, we learn that the next target in the attacking power's expansionist designs is the homeworld of the obstinate faction, at which an invasion fleet it presently aimed; and it is at least implied that the other faction's territory is either next on the chopping block or at least not very far from. This presents a conundrum: in theory, the obstinate faction's space fleet is larger, seasoned, and superior to that of the invading aliens in every sense but one - they lack a weapon which is capable of disrupting the specific composite alloy the invading aliens' ship hulls are made of, meaning that for all its raw power and numbers the obstinate aliens' defense fleet is effectively neutralized. The other, newly-more-willing-to-negotiate faction on the other hand happens to have a weapon that is perfectly capable of destroying the hull material of the invading aliens' ships, but their defense fleet is small and immensely outmatched by the invaders, and they lack the industrial and economic might to grow their fleet or deploy the weapon on a massive scale so that even with the weapon's advantage there's no question they would easily be defeated by the invaders. The obstinate faction's lead delegate is too proud and refuses to negotiate from what he sees as an unexpected position of weakness, claiming any agreement at this point would be more extortion than treating, and it seems as if the two worlds are doomed. However, the more-amenable faction's delegation eventually makes the decision to share the weapon technology with the obstinate faction as a gesture of good faith, without any conditions. Just enough of the weaponry is manufactured and deployed in time to rout the advance-party of the invasion fleet, and the invasion is successfully thwarted, much to the relief of all involved, and it is expected that the outcome of this magnanimous gift by the amenable faction will finally bring the obstinate faction back to the negotiating table. These expectations are apparently crushed by the senior delegate, however. What was once a position of weakness that he refused to be extorted against has, with the gift of the weaponry, become a position of power. He declares that the amenable faction benefitted sufficiently from the exchange by the defeat of the invasion, which would have come for the amenable faction eventually as well had they not shared the weapons technology. Indeed, says he, that was doubtless their entire unstated motivation for sharing the technology, making their protestations of good-faith gestures nothing but lies and deceit. The senior delegate thereby declares that nothing is owed, and reiterates his earlier cancellation of the remainder of the peace summit. Chaos threatens to ensue; except at the last minute, the obstinate senior delegate's deputy arrives with a security team and announces that the senior delegate has been removed from his position. The deputy delegate, having been moved by my earlier powerful speech about the benefits of cooperation, was apparently aghast at his senior's behavior, and behind his back had contacted the president of the obstinate faction's homeworld to give a detailed formal report of the whole situation. The homeworld president decided that their faction's honor demanded that the gifting faction be received as friends, and that a more mutually-amenable approach to a potential treaty be pursued, with the deputy delegate now in charge of the negotiations. The two sides hammer out a basic trade agreement and resolve to take part in an ongoing refinement and extension effort of same. Finally bidding the diplomatic parties goodbye, I return to the control room of my ship where I utter a few deep-sounding platitudes about hope for the future, after which a more famously acerbic member of my senior command staff makes a witty reply that prompts us all to laugh. I then give the crew an order to activate whatever passes for my ship's faster-than-light propulsion system and we depart the scene, headed in an unspecified direction toward our next adventure.

Oh - I could imagine all kinds of people/races looking at the census and having a problem too; but I also know that the only people so far that have actually, in the real world, verbalized having a problem with white people in the US becoming a minority are white nationalists and their apologists.
Old 27th June 2020, 02:41 PM   #17
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I couldn't read that Titanic Iceberg Paragraph because I think it's about Star Trek.

At the end you say white supremacists and racists are going nuts and it doesn't surprise me. That is predictable.

But I still can't imagine nobody looking at that census and then saying, "Damn, we are really ramping up the population in this country!"

Wouldn't anyone say that? Would only certain races say that?

Last edited by William Parcher; 27th June 2020 at 02:44 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 03:45 PM   #18
Armitage72
Illuminator

As more and more people get older and don't die, we need an increased population to provide the younger people that will balance them and keep Social Security viable.
Old 27th June 2020, 04:52 PM   #19
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
As more and more people get older and don't die, we need an increased population to provide the younger people that will balance them and keep Social Security viable.
Just don't let them take my National Parks and Wildlife Refuges. Okay?
Old 27th June 2020, 08:58 PM   #20
dann
Penultimate Amazing

I couldn't read that Titanic Iceberg Paragraph because I think it's about Star Trek.
At the end you say white supremacists and racists are going nuts and it doesn't surprise me. That is predictable.
But I still can't imagine nobody looking at that census and then saying, "Damn, we are really ramping up the population in this country!"
Wouldn't anyone say that? Would only certain races say that?

I can't imagine anybody looking at that headline and then saying: "Damn, we are really ramping up the population in this country!
If your point was population growth in general, why did you choose to focus on non-Hispanic whites becoming a minority?

Quote:
The feel-good of Merit was a carrot used to exploit the smartest and most driven, by blinding them to the reality that he who was the most connected, most wealthy, and most crooked routinely outperformed anyone no matter their talent.
Rugged individualism kept everyone isolated, alone, and vulnerable to the predation of their wolfen masters of mind control. They sold dreams dressed as opportunity teaching competition as the only merit.
“We Will Not Be Replaced!” (Medium, Aug. 12, 2020)

At least, we now know who will replace Baylor at ISF.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 27th June 2020 at 09:03 PM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 10:01 PM   #21
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Oh please, the US population density is a joke, there will be no problems with population growth for a long time.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 10:21 PM   #22
Checkmite

I can countenance a great many things, but I will not abide being called derivative.

Also, the wall of text was completely your fault. Your post inspired me to let my imagination run similarly wild.
Old 27th June 2020, 11:48 PM   #23
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I can countenance a great many things, but I will not abide being called derivative.

Also, the wall of text was completely your fault. Your post inspired me to let my imagination run similarly wild.
Tbf

I thought my posts given my lack of grammar abilities impressed in their ability to be unreadable, but that paragraph is truely awe inspiring.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 12:10 AM   #24
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 12:14 AM   #25
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Imagine being white in America and none of the TV shows, movies, governments look like you or your represent your life.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 12:37 AM   #26
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

You are uncloaking your views on race here in a very clear way.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 12:53 AM   #27
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

It will. It must be awful to live in fear. Fear of others. Fear of people who aren’t just like you. Fear of being one among many equals instead of dominant.

Of all things the movie Blade Runner comes to my mind:
“ Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.”
Old 28th June 2020, 01:56 AM   #28
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
You are uncloaking your views on race here in a very clear way.
I thought it was just the irony deafness.
Old 28th June 2020, 02:05 AM   #29
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Looking back at the article there seems to be no mention of it being a problem that must be solved.

Am I missing something obvious
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 02:29 AM   #30
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Was quite impressed how quick the Godwin came in though

Old 28th June 2020, 03:41 AM   #31
Lplus
Thinker

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Looking back at the article there seems to be no mention of it being a problem that must be solved.

Am I missing something obvious
The forum zeitgeist
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 03:54 AM   #32
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Was quite impressed how quick the Godwin came in though

Yes, viewing the world as a competition of racist domination makes any reference to Hitler ridiculous.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 04:32 AM   #33
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

What are the dramatic changes? These seem like the changes that have been happening with the USA population make up for decades.

May be a point of interest for some but for I suspect most of the folk in the UK the idea that "Hispanic/Latino" and the like aren't "white" is quite strange.
Old 28th June 2020, 05:48 AM   #34
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Actually no. Increased life expectancy was planned for when they created the trust fund back in the 80s. Where they got their predictions wrong was rising income inequality. More and more income is earned over the Social Security tax cutoff, which is what is throwing it out of balance.

For some reason, the GOP does not mention this when complaining about Social Security's finances.
Old 28th June 2020, 05:58 AM   #35
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Yep, being a minority is just the greatest.

Jesus wept.
In any democratically run system that attempts to achieve the greatest good for the greatest number being in the minority is going to be detrimental, no?
Old 28th June 2020, 07:12 AM   #36
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
In any democratically run system that attempts to achieve the greatest good for the greatest number being in the minority is going to be detrimental, no?
Not in a moral society.

In fact the very act of allocating “good” by race/ethnicity has no justification or morality. The distribution of good should not be channeled along racial lines; it should flow across them.

Further in a just society the greatest good for the greatest number must not be built on the backs of any subset of the population, racial or otherwise. You might find “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" by Ursula K. Le Guin. Interesting in this regard.

Last edited by Giordano; 28th June 2020 at 07:16 AM.
Old 28th June 2020, 07:36 AM   #37
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Not in a moral society.

In fact the very act of allocating “good” by race/ethnicity has no justification or morality. The distribution of good should not be channeled along racial lines; it should flow across them.

Further in a just society the greatest good for the greatest number must not be built on the backs of any subset of the population, racial or otherwise. You might find “The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas" by Ursula K. Le Guin. Interesting in this regard.
I vehemently agree with your second paragraph.

I wonder if any other posters in this forum do as well.

Last edited by Distracted1; 28th June 2020 at 07:37 AM.
Distracted1 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 08:57 AM   #38
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
I vehemently agree with your second paragraph.

I wonder if any other posters in this forum do as well.
I do, but then I am in favor of taxes, especially on high wealth, social security, unemployment benefits, state-funded education with it's wealth distributed equally along all schools and a good national health insurance, which would ensure this occurs.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th June 2020, 09:32 AM   #39
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
I do, but then I am in favor of taxes, especially on high wealth, social security, unemployment benefits, state-funded education with it's wealth distributed equally along all schools and a good national health insurance, which would ensure this occurs.
How 'bout that. Me too.
Old 28th June 2020, 10:03 AM   #40
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
What are the dramatic changes? These seem like the changes that have been happening with the USA population make up for decades.

May be a point of interest for some but for I suspect most of the folk in the UK the idea that "Hispanic/Latino" and the like aren't "white" is quite strange.
I've been kind of chuckling at this part two; I have quite a few Hispanic friends who are paler than I am (and I'm Irish).

I will say that there is an obvious process that immigrants go through in transitioning to becoming "white" white. First they are strange and exotic and their food is considered weird. They cluster in areas (think Little Italy and Chinatown), and they speak their native tongue at home. But their kids quickly become absorbed in American culture--baseball, hot dogs and muscle cars and before you know it, they are as white as they can be. Oh, maybe they're not quite the same shade, but then whites come in quite a few gradations (very few of which are actually white). And along the way, parts of their culture get absorbed into ours; pizza is probably more popular here than it is in Italy, and salsa has outsold ketchup in the US for years now.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events