ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 6th March 2018, 03:32 AM   #2201
Tolls
Illuminator

Who'd have thought this would be so complicated?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 04:02 AM   #2202
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
For some reason searching and accessing the article through google worked for me.

I wonder if the US is holding out for access to the British Virgin Islands and the Caymans?
It is usually the case that going to the FT through Google or a Twitter link will bypass the paywall. It's sometimes worth Googling for an article for that purpose.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 04:19 AM   #2203
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ojno View Post
Some key points from the FT article.
In other words UK wants special treatment to simply get back to where we already were before Brexit
Old 6th March 2018, 04:22 AM   #2204
Archie Gemmill Goal
Illuminator

I see Arlene Fosters face is tripping her again today. What a pity
Old 6th March 2018, 12:21 PM   #2205
Degeneve
Muse

Oops!
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 02:19 AM   #2206
Tolls
Illuminator

Traitors!

...or something.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 02:39 AM   #2207
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Traitors!

...or something.

Traitors: People who fail to applaud their Fearless Leader.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 07:12 AM   #2208
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

Quote:
The European Commission today formally demanded that the U.K. pay €2.7 billion into the EU budget after investigators found that British authorities allowed a massive fraud network originating in China to evade paying the appropriate level of customs duties.
https://www.politico.eu/article/brus...ustoms-duties/

So, about that invisible border in NI...
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 08:08 AM   #2209
ceptimus
puzzler

Europe demands we pay Europe because we bought cheap clothes from China. This is yet another example of why leaving the EU is a good and necessary thing.
ceptimus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 08:26 AM   #2210
Amazer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ceptimus View Post
Europe demands we pay Europe because we bought cheap clothes from China.
No, the EU demands you pay the EU because you didn't charge the required duties even though you were warned by the EU that your chinese suppliers were, among other things, under-invoicing. But you would have known that if you had bothered to actually read the article.

Quote:
This is yet another example of why leaving the EU is a good and necessary thing.
Here I am starting to agree with you... even if my reasoning is vastly different from yours. The UK clearly cannot be trusted to honour its obligations. Thus far the UK government has not given even the slightest hint that this is something that's going to change any time soon. Thus the EU is much better off with the UK completely removed from this valuable project.

March 2019 the UK can and should revert to WTO rules, without a transition period. Good riddance.
Amazer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 08:36 AM   #2211
ceptimus
puzzler

The EU is also demanding that they will keep full rights to fish UK waters after Brexit. But that is not cherry picking, of course, Cherry picking is something that the EU would never want to do.
ceptimus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 08:38 AM   #2212
ceptimus
puzzler

I did read the article by the way. Ignorant of you to assume that I didn't.
Old 8th March 2018, 08:45 AM   #2213
Amazer
Graduate Poster

I did read the article by the way.
So you say... your comment didn't reflect that though.

Quote:
Ignorant of you to assume that I didn't.
No, it was rather hopeful of me to assume that you hadn't read the article. Because the alternatives (to not having read the article) are worse.
Amazer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 08:46 AM   #2214
Information Analyst
Philosopher

The EU is also demanding that they will keep full rights to fish UK waters after Brexit. But that is not cherry picking, of course, Cherry picking is something that the EU would never want to do.
A lazy Google says that UK waters account for 700,000 tonnes of fish under the CFP, yet the UK's share of the overall EU catch is 752,000. That seems fairly balanced. I would presume that what UK vessels are catching in non-UK waters is not the same as what other EU vessels are catching in UK waters. If other EU vessels stop operating in UK waters, then obviously UK vessels would have to stop operating in other EU waters, but might not actually be the right type of vessel to transfer to UK waters.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 8th March 2018 at 08:47 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 10:44 AM   #2215
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Europe demands we pay Europe because we bought cheap clothes from China. This is yet another example of why leaving the EU is a good and necessary thing.
Yep this is as wrong as the UK government being upset by people not being charged the VAT on things. Failure to pay taxes is the most fundamental right of every freeman of the land and it is something the UK is most associated with.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 01:02 PM   #2216
ceptimus
puzzler

The EU is mainly complaining about insufficient duty/tariffs - the VAT is a secondary issue.

The EU is simply behaving in its usual protectionist racket mode - it is unable to compete with China in the production of cheap clothes so it applies a tariff to inflate the price of such clothes to nearer the price they can be made for in the EU.

If I buy a cheap Chinese T-shirt, I pay the manufacturers maybe $1, the shippers and handlers another $1, and then the EU wants me to also pay another $1 to them to be wasted by the EU bureaucracy.

Once we've left the EU we'll get the benefit of cheaper clothes while our European neighbours will continue to hand over their hard-earned cash to Brussels.

And you wonder why the majority voted to leave.
Old 8th March 2018, 02:14 PM   #2217
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

The EU is mainly complaining about insufficient duty/tariffs - the VAT is a secondary issue.
They are both taxes, colluding to avoid paying them is morally the same. You don't think people need to pay their taxes and many people agree with that. Keep your comments on point.

And think of all the new import duties on EU-UK trade!
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 03:50 PM   #2218
ddt
Mafia Penguin

The UK knowingly let Chinese import cheap clothes without paying customs and without paying proper VAT. A percentage of that is due to the EU. Therefore, the UK failed to pay its obligations to the EU.

When I fail to pay my taxes, the Tax Office will seize my bank account and then auction off my home and my furniture when I still haven't paid in full. I think the EU has thus far been very nice to the UK in this matter.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 08:16 PM   #2219
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

The EU is simply behaving in its usual protectionist racket mode - it is unable to compete with China in the production of cheap clothes so it applies a tariff to inflate the price of such clothes to nearer the price they can be made for in the EU.

Congratuations. You seem to have discovered the purpose for tariffs.

Quote:

<snip>

Once we've left the EU we'll get the benefit of cheaper clothes while our European neighbours will continue to hand over their hard-earned cash to Brussels.

How will the British workers making clothes in the U.K. feel about that? Will they be glad that their countrymen will now be able to by cheaper clothes from China instead of handing over their hard-earned cash for clothes made at home?

Quote:

I never wondered that. It was pretty obvious it was to keep all those nasty furriners from flooding into the country. Oh yeah, and that extra 350 million per week for the NHS.

Are you saying it was really because they wanted to buy cheaper stuff from China instead of buying locally made products?

Last edited by quadraginta; 8th March 2018 at 08:18 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 08:41 PM   #2220
Amazer
Graduate Poster

No

Quote:
If I buy a cheap Chinese T-shirt, I pay the manufacturers maybe $1, the shippers and handlers another $1, and then the EU wants me to also pay another $1 to them to be wasted by the EU bureaucracy.
How about you pay (at the under-invoiced prices) the manufacturers about 15 cents (or 22 cents at market rates). Throw in another 5 cents for shipping and handling. Import duty seems to be about 12% on the CIF cost of the tshirt, so that would be around 2.50 cents (or 3.25 cents at market rates). Congratulations... your cheap t-shirt cost is now 22.50 cents when it enters the EU market. The 'more expensive' t-shirt would have cost a whopping 30.25 cents when it enters the EU market.

Quote:
I think you'll be disappointed by the benefits... but sure after March 2019 I suppose you should be able to get your t-shirts a few cents cheaper than before.

Quote:
No, not any longer.
Old 9th March 2018, 12:02 PM   #2221
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

You really think they would pass on any savings?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:21 PM   #2222
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You really think they would pass on any savings?
Smugglers are known for their honesty right?
Old 9th March 2018, 02:36 PM   #2223
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

I keep hearing how the EU model is unfair/wasteful.

Please provide an example of a system that allows you to buy cheap imported goods without any burdens while also not eroding employment and earnings.

Otherwise I'm going to assume "wasteful bureaucracy" is just code for "I don't understand how social services are funded and other complex economic issues."

ETA: without any customs controls, we will all succumb to the work conditions of the lowest bidder.

This is where the tapatalk signature that annoys people used to be

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 9th March 2018 at 02:38 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 02:46 PM   #2224
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Smugglers are known for their honesty right?
We know they don't shoot first?
It makes no difference whatever whether they laugh at us or revile us, whether they represent us as clowns or criminals; the main thing is that they mention us, that they concern themselves with us again and again. -Hitler
GnaGnaMan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 03:05 PM   #2225
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I keep hearing how the EU model is unfair/wasteful.

Please provide an example of a system that allows you to buy cheap imported goods without any burdens while also not eroding employment and earnings.

Otherwise I'm going to assume "wasteful bureaucracy" is just code for "I don't understand how social services are funded and other complex economic issues."

ETA: without any customs controls, we will all succumb to the work conditions of the lowest bidder.

This is where the tapatalk signature that annoys people used to be
Found this via reddit:

https://i.redd.it/hr50hdl67lk01.jpg

Apprently the UK gov sends this to all its tax-payers.
Old 9th March 2018, 03:05 PM   #2226
Degeneve
Muse

No. The tariffs are the same for the whole EU and are most probably those fixed by the WTO agreements. The EU is no complaining about insufficient tariffs but about the lack of control measures at the borders by the HMRC.

And you will also benefit cheaper cars, shoes and of all kind of cheaper consumption goods, which will be manufactured abroad. So that the UK blue collars will loose their jobs and, at the very end, not even have enough money to buy cheap items imported with no customs duties...

Even Donald Trump is able to understand this would be idiotic...
Degeneve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 03:08 PM   #2227
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GnaGnaMan View Post
Found this via reddit:

I don't remember them sending me anything.
Old 9th March 2018, 03:20 PM   #2228
GnaGnaMan
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
I don't remember them sending me anything.
For the fourth year in succession, the government is sending 30 million households a clear and simple summary of how much income tax and national insurance they paid in the last financial year.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ur-tax-summary

Maybe you are not one of the 30 million?
Old 9th March 2018, 04:07 PM   #2229
fagin
Philosopher

I assume I am, but I don't remember getting one.

I could well have, but if they are not asking for more money, or giving me some back, I likely would have binned it without reading it. Like junk mail. I don't even open a lot of stuff that comes in the post.
Old 10th March 2018, 02:18 AM   #2230
Mid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
I assume I am, but I don't remember getting one.

I could well have, but if they are not asking for more money, or giving me some back, I likely would have binned it without reading it. Like junk mail. I don't even open a lot of stuff that comes in the post.
I remember getting them every year. I think the last one came about a month ago. Although they're only really memorable to me as they send me off into a rant about what a waste of money they are.
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 04:35 AM   #2231
ceptimus
puzzler

It's strange how the same people that oppose Trump's tariffs on steel think that the EU's tariffs on imported goods are a wonderful thing.
Old 10th March 2018, 04:38 AM   #2232
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It's strange how the same people that oppose Trump's tariffs on steel think that the EU's tariffs on imported goods are a wonderful thing.
Who are these people?
Old 12th March 2018, 02:31 AM   #2233
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GnaGnaMan View Post
Found this via reddit:

They're supposed, but while my wife gets them, I don't recall every having done so. For 2016/17 £59 of her £8,419 went to the EU budget - 0.7%.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 12th March 2018 at 02:34 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 12:39 AM   #2234
erwinl
Master Poster

Dutch only, I'm afraid.

Unilever has chosen to concentrate it's headquarters (now still in the UK and in the Netherlands) in Rotterdam, Netherlands.
Apparantly the choice for Rotterdam was made because the protection against hostile takeovers is better there.
Old 15th March 2018, 01:44 AM   #2235
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Dutch only, I'm afraid.

Unilever has chosen to concentrate it's headquarters (now still in the UK and in the Netherlands) in Rotterdam, Netherlands.
Apparantly the choice for Rotterdam was made because the protection against hostile takeovers is better there.
Well no shocks there then.

I had many a happy meeting at the Unilever offices in Weybridge. Every meeting room had a small freezer full of their individual serve frozen desserts (ice creams, choc ices, lollies and so on). It was a nice diversion in a hot and boring meeting.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 02:27 AM   #2236
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Dutch only, I'm afraid.

In the article you reference, CFO Pitkethly denies it had anything to do with that protection. He also denies it had anything to do with Brexit. And most curious, the article doesn't say a thing about the effect of the Dutch abolishment of dividend tax (but as Unilever remains being traded in Amsterdam, London and New York, I don't see how that could make a difference).
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 02:44 AM   #2237
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

BBC version of the Unilever story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43410155

In other news, David Davis wants a shorter transition

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43410455
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 03:01 AM   #2238
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
In other news, David Davis wants a shorter transition
Not quite how I would word it.
Davis is suggesting he would accept the EU's desire for a shorter transition.
The above makes it sound like it was his idea...and I'm not sure he has many of those, at least not ones that aren't completely barking.
Old 15th March 2018, 04:15 AM   #2239
ddt
Mafia Penguin

What has become of May's announced series of speeches in which she would lay out her vision of Brexit? Are they still to come or have they quietly been shelved?

Old 15th March 2018, 05:24 AM   #2240
Amazer
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
What has become of May's announced series of speeches in which she would lay out her vision of Brexit? Are they still to come or have they quietly been shelved?
Bojo's speech
https://youtu.be/OW-aaCdmAgk

Mr. Fox https://youtu.be/-3NoCT4tB9o

DD
https://youtu.be/wRxX7jLxQZA

Mrs May
https://youtu.be/wj3qt0gyZdg

and finally Hammond
https://youtu.be/C-PgQTpPhS4

I might have missed one... not sure.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics