ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 6th March 2018, 11:46 AM   #1481
Cain
Straussian

Nunberg has tiger blood. #winning
Old 6th March 2018, 02:19 PM   #1482
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It's being reported that this is becoming repetitive!

SB often brings attention here to snippets of news which seem to lack the coverage which others are receiving. Often they are ones which I might not have noticed otherwise. I thank him for that.

If it becomes tedious then I can easily scroll past them. It isn't like he is posting walls of text, and they certainly aren't offensive.

I see it as a public service of sorts.

Keep it up, Squeegee.

Last edited by quadraginta; 6th March 2018 at 03:29 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 02:48 PM   #1483
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
SB often brings attention here to snippets of news which seem to lack the coverage which others are receiving. Of ten they are ones which I might not have noticed otherwise. I thank him for that.

If it becomes tedious then I can easily scroll past them. It isn't like he is posting walls of text, and they certainly aren't offensive.

Keep it up, Squeegee.
Seconded
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 02:49 PM   #1484
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Mueller investigating Michael Cohen
Old 6th March 2018, 03:45 PM   #1485
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Nunberg so looks like he's high on cocaine. He can't sit still, he keeps wiping his nose with his hand, he's acting immaturely (last one could be his normal demeanor), now he just sniffed.

No one is reminding him a search shouldn't take 80 hours.
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That he had been drinking has also been suggested...
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's not mutually exclusive.

I see a search warrant in his future.
Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
"80 hours" strikes me as oddly specific, but I don't quite know what to make of that. Coke-speak tends to be highly declarative (I've heard tell), so it fits that pattern.
Wow. That's a lot of wild speculation there.
Old 6th March 2018, 03:52 PM   #1486
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Öand there it is.

In a post above, I referenced Nunbergís oddly repeated objection to complying with the subpoena because it asked for communications with Page and he said he never talked with Page. Obviously, if he never communicated with Page, he would simply have nothing to turn over and therefore no reason to object to the request.

The only reason to object to the request for communications with Page is if he did have such communications. He says Page colluded with the Russians. He says they want to get him to testify against Stone and that he wants to protect Stone.

The logical conclusion is that he has communications with or about Page that implicate Stone. This is on the level of, ďSure you can look for dead bodies in my basement, just donít look in that trap door. Why would you want to look in that trap door? Thereís nothing in that trap door. You can look in the basement, but only if you donít look in that trap door.Ē
Maybe not. Let's say, for argument's sake, that he didn't have any communications with Page. So he has nothing to turn over. What is the response likely to be? Do you think it's likely to be "Oh, well thanks for looking!"? I mean, he already said he didn't have any communication with Page, and that doesn't seem to have been believed.

I think it's a bit more likely that the response will be "We don't believe you, now turn over EVERYTHING". Now you might argue that only a guilty man would refuse to hand over everything... but you've got an investigative team that is obviously and clearly searching for any possible crime, and will take even the tiniest inkling of wrongdoing or grey area in order to take people down. This is exactly the sort of scenario where a rational person would plead the fifth - you can't be forced to incriminate yourself.

And one might also offer a counter-argument. If Clinton were innocent of wrongdoing, why did she go through and remove many emails on the claim that they were personal and none of the government's business? Does anyone have any way to verify that this was the case? One might argue that her delays and her deletion of emails is indicative of guilt, by the very same logic being employed here.
Old 6th March 2018, 03:55 PM   #1487
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

SB often brings attention here to snippets of news which seem to lack the coverage which others are receiving. Often they are ones which I might not have noticed otherwise. I thank him for that.

Keep it up, Squeegee.
Thirded.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 03:57 PM   #1488
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Keep it up, Squeegee.
Forthed
Old 6th March 2018, 04:06 PM   #1489
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Fifthed.
Old 6th March 2018, 04:18 PM   #1490
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Fifthed.
I'll drink to that.

Seems to me if Nunberg is having trouble finding the time to search for his emails, Mueller should be able to find him a nice quite room with bars on the window in which he can work on it.
Old 6th March 2018, 04:25 PM   #1491
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Fox News Bret Baer:

Trey Gowdy is back to his old self. They want to investigate the FBI, says the IG can't interview people no longer working, convinced the FBI starting with Comey, investigated a private citizen based on partisan information, calls the "Schiff memo" filled with lies ...

Goodlatte, Republican Congressman, goes on with everything in the Nunes memo, ignoring completely the Democratic rebuttal.

All this stuff has been debunked, not the least of which is "so what" even if true, a biased or partisan source does not disqualify evidence. So are they in on the ruse, or simply susceptible to the alt-reality?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th March 2018 at 04:28 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 04:39 PM   #1492
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Ex-Trump aide Sam Nunberg changes tune, says he will cooperate with Mueller probe

I'm guessing he had a small stress-induced breakdown.

Last edited by Upchurch; 6th March 2018 at 04:41 PM.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 04:46 PM   #1493
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Ex-Trump aide Sam Nunberg changes tune, says he will cooperate with Mueller probe

I'm guessing he had a small stress-induced breakdown.
I would have said alcohol induced temper tantrum upon receipt of the subpoena.
Old 6th March 2018, 04:49 PM   #1494
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I would have said alcohol induced temper tantrum upon receipt of the subpoena.
Why not both? Perhaps I'm being generous.
Old 6th March 2018, 05:15 PM   #1495
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
We have Nunberg on TV behaving in a truly bizarre, seemingly intoxicated manner. (He's an attorney by the way.) And then we have a direct observation from a reliable reporter, Erin Burnett, who tells Nunberg face-to-face that he smells of alcohol.

The notion that Nunberg was intoxicated isn't wild speculation.

Last edited by varwoche; 6th March 2018 at 05:17 PM.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 06:09 PM   #1496
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Well, if he's innocent he should have nothing to hide, why not just turn them all over?
As an innocent person I have everything to hide.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 06:13 PM   #1497
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

"Speculation"? Perhaps.

"Wild"? Not at all.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 06:39 PM   #1498
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Fox News Bret Baer:

Trey Gowdy is back to his old self. They want to investigate the FBI, says the IG can't interview people no longer working, convinced the FBI starting with Comey, investigated a private citizen based on partisan information, calls the "Schiff memo" filled with lies ...
Out of interest, did he mention Clinton much?

Quote:
Goodlatte, Republican Congressman, goes on with everything in the Nunes memo, ignoring completely the Democratic rebuttal.

All this stuff has been debunked, not the least of which is "so what" even if true, a biased or partisan source does not disqualify evidence. So are they in on the ruse, or simply susceptible to the alt-reality?
One does wonder what they hope to achieve. Mueller and his team aren't going to be fazed in the slighest, and nor will the FBI.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 06:41 PM   #1499
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
As an innocent person I have everything to hide.
Some might wish you hid more. Not to say completely.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 02:27 AM   #1500
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that Mueller has questioned adviser to the UAE George Nader, who has several ties to the Trump campaign
Old 7th March 2018, 02:48 AM   #1501
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Seth Abramson thread on why the questioning of Nader may still concern Trump's ties to Russia
Old 7th March 2018, 04:49 AM   #1502
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Maybe not. Let's say, for argument's sake, that he didn't have any communications with Page. So he has nothing to turn over. What is the response likely to be? Do you think it's likely to be "Oh, well thanks for looking!"? I mean, he already said he didn't have any communication with Page, and that doesn't seem to have been believed.
Yes, that would be it. If he told the FBI he didnít have any communications with Page, the purpose of the subpoena is to have him put that on record and restate that fact under oath to the grand jury so that it becomes part of the record of evidence.

We donít know why Mueller is asking for the emails with or about Page. Maybe Page has told him Nunberg has emails exonerating him and Mueller doesnít believe him so he wants Nunberg on record saying he has no such emails. Or maybe Meuller already has evidence that Nunberg was in contact with Page and he wants those records or to see if Nunberg will try to cover it up. OrÖit could be lots of things.

I think it's a bit more likely that the response will be "We don't believe you, now turn over EVERYTHING".
If a person could avoid complying with a subpoena simply because they could speculate that they might not be believed, then nobody would be required to comply with a subpoena.

Now you might argue that only a guilty man would refuse to hand over everything... but you've got an investigative team that is obviously and clearly searching for any possible crime, and will take even the tiniest inkling of wrongdoing or grey area in order to take people down.
They arenít asking for everything. The subpoena comes from the court. It can be challenged with the court if it is believed it is for an improper purpose or out of scope of the investigation.

Also note that the subpoena says that if there are emails that meet the requirements that are of a personal nature and not relevant to the investigation, he does not need to turn over those emails but would need to provide general information about those emails and an explanation of why they arenít being turned over.

This is exactly the sort of scenario where a rational person would plead the fifth - you can't be forced to incriminate yourself.
Nunberg says he was granted immunity in exchange for his cooperation. With immunity, he canít plead the Fifth.
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 05:31 AM   #1503
Belz...
Fiend God

Keep it up, Squeegee.
Oh, absolutely. I'm making fun of the form, not the content.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 11:15 AM   #1504
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

... Now you might argue that only a guilty man would refuse to hand over everything... but you've got an investigative team that is obviously and clearly searching for any possible crime, and will take even the tiniest inkling of wrongdoing or grey area in order to take people down. This is exactly the sort of scenario where a rational person would plead the fifth - you can't be forced to incriminate yourself. ...
Perhaps I am reading you wrong, apologies then ... but are you saying you think a subpoena to hand over already existing documents can be validly defied citing the fifth? I believe that would be a misinterpretation of the fifth. An archive of documents that already exists, independent of the state's investigation, does not constitute the sort of speech a witness makes that the fifth is talking about in the phrase:
"...nor shall [any person] be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself..."
I believe to be a witness requires formulating new speech in response to questions asked in a criminal case, not possessing old documents assembled before there even was a criminal case, or before that person was involved in that criminal case.
Old 8th March 2018, 02:46 AM   #1505
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Mueller has reportedly gathered evidence that the Seychelles meeting Erik Prince testified under oath he had not planned to meet a Russian at was, in fact, about setting up a back-channel with Russia

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 8th March 2018 at 02:47 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 02:54 AM   #1506
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Betsy DeVoss's brother has been a bad boy...
Old 8th March 2018, 11:57 AM   #1507
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Betsy DeVoss's brother has been a bad boy...
....for a long time. Including employing murderers in Iraq.
Old 8th March 2018, 04:58 PM   #1508
Emily's Cat

"Speculation"? Perhaps.

"Wild"? Not at all.

OMG, he seems agitated and he rubbed his nose some... he... he must be on cocaine!

Nope, not wild at all. It's a perfectly normal thing to assume without any evidence. It's just run-of-the-mill boring average speculation to immediately just to suggestions of illicit drug usage. Makes perfect sense.
Old 8th March 2018, 05:02 PM   #1509
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Perhaps I am reading you wrong, apologies then ... but are you saying you think a subpoena to hand over already existing documents can be validly defied citing the fifth? I believe that would be a misinterpretation of the fifth. An archive of documents that already exists, independent of the state's investigation, does not constitute the sort of speech a witness makes that the fifth is talking about in the phrase:
"...nor shall [any person] be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself..."
I believe to be a witness requires formulating new speech in response to questions asked in a criminal case, not possessing old documents assembled before there even was a criminal case, or before that person was involved in that criminal case.
That ended up being the effect of my statement, but it wasn't the intent. My intent is more to challenge the assumption of guilt for someone who doesn't wish to turn over personal information to an investigation. It's the presumption of "oh, well, he would only refuse to comply if he has something to hide, therefore he must be guilty!" I intended it as a comparison to why a person who is not guilty still might very reasonably plead the fifth in other sorts of circumstances.
Old 8th March 2018, 05:13 PM   #1510
plague311
Great minds think...

That ended up being the effect of my statement, but it wasn't the intent. My intent is more to challenge the assumption of guilt for someone who doesn't wish to turn over personal information to an investigation. It's the presumption of "oh, well, he would only refuse to comply if he has something to hide, therefore he must be guilty!" I intended it as a comparison to why a person who is not guilty still might very reasonably plead the fifth in other sorts of circumstances.
There aren't very many reasons not to comply in this case. It's pretty obvious that Mueller is not messing around, he came to play ball. Didn't he do 3 or more shows in that one day? Looking at the picture as a whole, it looks like a guy fairly desperate, but that's just me.

ďThere are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.Ē - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 05:14 PM   #1511
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

OMG, he seems agitated and he rubbed his nose some... he... he must be on cocaine!

Nope, not wild at all. It's a perfectly normal thing to assume without any evidence. It's just run-of-the-mill boring average speculation to immediately just to suggestions of illicit drug usage. Makes perfect sense.
Your answer suggests you didn't understand Quad's answer.

Speculation but not based on nothing.

Perhaps you've never seen someone high on cocaine but they can't sit still. And the sniffing was corroborating evidence.

Then there were reports to news agency he was drunk and the reporter said she smelled the alcohol.

Speculation based on some evidence. Not wild speculation.
Old 8th March 2018, 05:14 PM   #1512
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Post 1509: You mean like this?

Quote:
As a presidential candidate last year, Donald Trump suggested that innocent people don’t plead the Fifth Amendment.

“The mob takes the Fifth Amendment. If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” Trump said at a campaign rally in Iowa in September, a couple of weeks after IT specialists who worked for Hillary Clinton invoked their Fifth Amendment rights during testimony before Congress.
source
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 05:16 PM   #1513
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
There aren't very many reasons not to comply in this case. It's pretty obvious that Mueller is not messing around, he came to play ball. Didn't he do 3 or more shows in that one day? Looking at the picture as a whole, it looks like a guy fairly desperate, but that's just me.
He's also a disciple of Roger Stone so you can never discount rat****ing.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 08:23 PM   #1514
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

A highly respected professional interviewer facing him from a couple of feet away said he smelled of alcohol.

There may be some speculation there, but it is hardly "wild".
Old 9th March 2018, 01:25 PM   #1515
Emily's Cat

Your answer suggests you didn't understand Quad's answer.

Speculation but not based on nothing.

Perhaps you've never seen someone high on cocaine but they can't sit still. And the sniffing was corroborating evidence.

Then there were reports to news agency he was drunk and the reporter said she smelled the alcohol.

Speculation based on some evidence. Not wild speculation.
People who are nervous also can't sit still. Also, people who have ADHD. And people with colds or allergies frequently sniff. It's corroborating evidence of nothing but a tendency to present whatever random speculation one comes up with as if it were fact, and to respond in a defensive fashion to anyone who identifies your wild speculation as exactly that - wild speculation.

So... Yeah... Are you aware that cocaine and alcohol cause a complete different set of observable symptoms?
Old 9th March 2018, 01:26 PM   #1516
Emily's Cat

A highly respected professional interviewer facing him from a couple of feet away said he smelled of alcohol.

There may be some speculation there, but it is hardly "wild".
Alcohol, I might grant - based on the observation of people present. But the jump to cocaine because he fidgeted and sniffed is pretty wild.
Old 9th March 2018, 02:03 PM   #1517
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Alcohol, I might grant - based on the observation of people present. But the jump to cocaine because he fidgeted and sniffed is pretty wild.
Sure, cocaine is very speculative. No better than when Trump sniffled in debates and so was on drugs, or when Hillary was dying due to a pneumonia induced stumble.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 01:27 AM   #1518
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/...02530880016384

Quote:
NEWS: Trump’s legal team may tell Mueller he can interview the president if, among other considerations, he agrees to a timeline for ending the Trump-related portion of the Russia probe—for example, 60 days from the date of the interview. W/@PeterWSJ
Yeah, this'll happen.
Old 10th March 2018, 06:43 AM   #1519
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

That's pretty desperate...
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 08:46 AM   #1520
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
That's pretty desperate...

The sign of a man with nothing to hide, nosireee!
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics