ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 8th March 2018, 04:06 PM   #2601
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Is there a way to see the context of this comment? What did the worker says right before Trump, and then what did Trump say after the dude said he's still alive?
The context of the comment is here. It sorta does sound like the guy is talking about his deceased father...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...king-down.html

Looks like it was more funny for everyone than it was embarrassing or really awkward.
Old 8th March 2018, 05:29 PM   #2602
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Breaking: Trump is ready to meet Jong-un for de-nuke talks.
Old 8th March 2018, 05:40 PM   #2603
Elagabalus
Master Poster

The US should send him in ... alone.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 05:45 PM   #2604
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I guess we can pretty much forget about a US vs NK war of some sort. They will meet by May.
Old 8th March 2018, 06:01 PM   #2605
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It will be fun to see the Trump supporters who were constanly screaming for him to nuke North Korea do a 180 turn.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 06:02 PM   #2606
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Breaking News of the moment:
Major Announcement due in 90 minutes about North Korea. Of course he had to duck his head into the press room to give that teaser.

A note from North Korea was hand-delivered from a South Korean envoy to the White House. This could be either very good or very bad.
OMG we are STILL not going to nuclear war? Damn that Trump! Now what?
Old 8th March 2018, 06:02 PM   #2607
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And of course this could just be a tactic of North Korea to play for time ......we have been down this road before.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 06:03 PM   #2608
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It will be fun to see the Trump supporters who were constanly screaming for him to nuke North Korea do a 180 turn.
Ya, point them out for me and I'll watch. I'll be watching those on the left who were fearing nuclear war admitting how stupid their fears were.

ETA: sorry for the late edit (bolded)

Last edited by mgidm86; 8th March 2018 at 06:07 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 06:05 PM   #2609
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Ya, point them out for me and I'll watch.
DOn't visit the comments sections of various newspapers do you?
And bet you don't think there are many bigots among the Trump supporters, do you?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th March 2018, 06:06 PM   #2610
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And that this happens the day that Trump might have crashed the American Economy is not a coincidence...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th March 2018, 06:07 PM   #2611
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

I guess we can pretty much forget about a US vs NK war of some sort. They will meet by May.
Unless it's just a clever North Korean ruse to assassinate Trump in some kind of reverse "The Interview" scenario... NK James Franco will distract the unsuspecting Trump with a couple of incontinent hookers and spike his cheeseburgers with a nerve agent...
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 06:10 PM   #2612
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
DOn't visit the comments sections of various newspapers do you?
And bet you don't think there are many bigots among the Trump supporters, do you?
No I don't look at news comments because I have the ISF where I can count on actual people I have engaged with for years who at least offer some sort of rational discussion. I don't recall people here calling for Trump to nuke NK. I do recall entire threads based on the fear that Trump will start a nuke war.

I'm sure there are many bigots who are Trump supporters and just as many who are not.
Old 8th March 2018, 06:37 PM   #2613
DevilsAdvocate
Illuminator

Build the war! Build the war!

Wait, maybe I heard that wrong...
Heaven forbid someone reads these words and claims to be adversely affected by them, thus ensuring a barrage of lawsuits filed under the guise of protecting the unknowing victims who were stupid enough to read this and believe it! - Kevin Trudeau
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 06:53 PM   #2614
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
Unless it's just a clever North Korean ruse to assassinate Trump in some kind of reverse "The Interview" scenario... NK James Franco will distract the unsuspecting Trump with a couple of incontinent hookers and spike his cheeseburgers with a nerve agent...
The best prank of all would be for Donald to assassinate Kim in his own house. ROFL!
Old 8th March 2018, 07:03 PM   #2615
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Hmmm - North Korea has no extradition treaty with the US.
Coincidence?
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 07:24 PM   #2616
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I'm sure there are many bigots who are Trump supporters and just as many who are not.
Sounds like a testable hypothesis, what do well-constructed surveys show?
Old 8th March 2018, 07:25 PM   #2617
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

When have direct talks with Trump made any international meeting go better?
I can't see these talks going well for anyone but Kim who gets to sit down with the US president without preconditions.
Old 8th March 2018, 07:33 PM   #2618
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
When have direct talks with Trump made any international meeting go better?
I can't see these talks going well for anyone but Kim who gets to sit down with the US president without preconditions.
Kim is going to end his nuclear weapons program. He wants to tell that to Trump in person. The talks will go well for the entire world, not just Kim.
Old 8th March 2018, 07:43 PM   #2619
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is the ideal person for North Korea to negotiate with. Is there any single thing that Trump considers vital in the region? Troops on the peninsula? The south Korea defense pact?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 08:30 PM   #2620
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This is going to be big. Trump will secure his re-election. It will be like Nixon going to see that Chinaman.
Old 8th March 2018, 08:39 PM   #2621
Venom
Graduate Poster

This is going to be big. Trump will secure his re-election. It will be like Nixon going to see that Chinaman.
To think Donald "Homer Simpson" Trump could just sit out the negotiation process and get into the game last minute and win......

I wouldn't know whether to cheer or boo some more hoping he doesn't get reelected!
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 08:50 PM   #2622
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I'm not kidding when I say he needs to bring some pepperoni pizzas for Kim.
Old 8th March 2018, 08:51 PM   #2623
Alphaba
Optical Allusion

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
@Alphabe

Nice catch.
Avec plaisir — With pleasure!

"Mueller muscle", that's assuredly something to reckon with!

———
Have you noticed that Alphaba is a transliteration of my original avatar?
Alphaba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 10:59 PM   #2624
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Maybe Kim is going to tell Trump exactly what he's got on him (courtesy of Putin), and threaten to reveal it unless Trump lifts sanctions. Trump will then pretend he's lifting sanctions because Kim has promised to stop his nuclear weapons programme..
Old 8th March 2018, 11:05 PM   #2625
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Kim is going to end his nuclear weapons program. He wants to tell that to Trump in person. The talks will go well for the entire world, not just Kim.
In which dream do you currently reside?

Kim won't give up the nukes he has, and he can't do any more development anyway since his testing site was destroyed in the last test.
Promising that he won't make any more nukes in exchange for lifting sanctions and other help is totally one-sided.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 9th March 2018 at 12:15 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 11:55 PM   #2626
Mumbles
Philosopher

In which dream do you currently reside?

Kim won't give up the nukes he has, and he can't do any more development anyway since his testing site was destroyed in the last test.
Promising that he won't make any more nukes in exchange for lifting sanctions and over help is totally one-sided.
And as you said, it gets the added benefit of meeting directly with a particularly stupid and gullible US president.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 12:21 AM   #2627
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Ya, point them out for me and I'll watch. I'll be watching those on the left who were fearing nuclear war admitting how stupid their fears were.

ETA: sorry for the late edit (bolded)
Okay, I'll be watching those on the right who have been hoping that Donnie Johnny and his crazy generals would make the peninsula into a greasy smear on a map to see if they start a GoFundMe campaign for a rubber room at the VA because they're inconsolable.

Keep the members posted, won't you.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 12:34 AM   #2628
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
There’s been too much talk of Trump’s dick pics recently. Stop it.
Are you kidding? Can you imagine the humiliation if those pictures got out and and all the jokes? I suspect The Hair would be livid and Melania disgusted with him. How is this anything but a win?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 12:35 AM   #2629
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Lunchbox is going to play him like a fiddle.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 12:50 AM   #2630
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Okay, I'll be watching those on the right who have been hoping that Donnie Johnny and his crazy generals would make the peninsula into a greasy smear on a map to see if they start a GoFundMe campaign for a rubber room at the VA because they're inconsolable.

Keep the members posted, won't you.
Don't be ridiculous.

It would be a glassy smear.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:26 AM   #2631
Civet
Graduate Poster

As much as I loathe Trump, I'll be overjoyed if he gets a good result from negotiations with North Korea and I won't hesitate to give him credit for it. It's not going to make me suddenly think he's a great POTUS or anything, but I'll be noticeably less disgusted with him until the next time he does something horrible.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:35 AM   #2632
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
As much as I loathe Trump, I'll be overjoyed if he gets a good result from negotiations with North Korea and I won't hesitate to give him credit for it.
What would constitute a "good result" in your opinion?

I think it is vitally important that everyone thinks about what Trump should get out of a deal with North Korea, and not just congratulate him afterwards for diplomatically not starting WW3.
Old 9th March 2018, 02:06 AM   #2633
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

What would constitute a "good result" in your opinion?

I think it is vitally important that everyone thinks about what Trump should get out of a deal with North Korea, and not just congratulate him afterwards for diplomatically not starting WW3.
Getting Un to dismantle his nukes and end his missile- and nuclear programs, verified by UN inspectors, in exchange for a lifting of sanctions. If he can manage that, Trump might have a win big enough to ward off an early impeachment.

I do not think Trump has it in him. I also don't think Un is particularly interested in that.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 02:21 AM   #2634
autumn1971
Master Poster

NK has been doing this for decades. Start some policy that angers the world and terrifies the South, ignore all diplomatic overtures until stuff starts to look really bad, then come to the table with an "historic" peace offering which leaves them in position to advance starting from the previous point when it looks like dire times again.

The leadership is interested only in preservation of the existing order. Every maneuver is directed towards that. They know they will lose the next war, but know that the damage to the South is not acceptable to any western nation. They don't want war, but need to stay in power. Concessions will be made, and in ten years they'll have nukes again.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 02:53 AM   #2635
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Second Manafort trial - for tax evasion and fraud - set for July 10th
Old 9th March 2018, 02:58 AM   #2636
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's initiative to streamline Veteran healthcare has been dubbed "a disaster" by doctors using it - some staff have quit over fears of endangering patients
Old 9th March 2018, 03:03 AM   #2637
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The White House has refused Gowdy and Cummings' request as senior officials of the House Oversight Committee for information into how Rob Porter was allowed to continue working once the White House had been informed of the allegations of spousal abuse against him
Old 9th March 2018, 03:06 AM   #2638
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Republican senator Jeff Flake is looking to introduce a bill that will nullify Trump's tariffs on steel and aluminium
Old 9th March 2018, 03:19 AM   #2639
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/sarahkendzior/st...17442216808452

Quote:
[George] Nader is the fifth pedophile tied to Trump. Others are men to which Trump had closer ties: Roy Cohn, John Casablancas, Jeffrey Epstein, and Tevfik Arif.
Old 9th March 2018, 03:40 AM   #2640
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Do we think Trump will actually go to a meeting with NK?

He will change his mind before the end of the week.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics