ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 13th March 2018, 06:53 AM   #2801
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I recall Katrina Pierson gave me the creeps in her last iteration. In a “Baghdad Bob”, True Believer sort of way.

I await ver 2 with mild trepidation.
Old 13th March 2018, 08:22 AM   #2803
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post

Mr. McEntee wasn’t as well known as the others, but had been a constant presence at Mr. Trump’s side for the past three years. He made sure Mr. Trump had markers to sign autographs, delivered messages to him in the White House residence and, over the weekend, ensured that the clocks in the White House residence were adjusted for daylight-saving time.

Seems like he might have had need to supplement his income
Old 13th March 2018, 08:24 AM   #2804
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Well, Trump hired him for the White House and now for his campaign - saying it's not Trump related is just plain false.
Old 13th March 2018, 08:43 AM   #2805
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Is this the point where it's appropriate to say "only the best people"?
Old 13th March 2018, 09:05 AM   #2806
Tolls
Illuminator

I expect Trump never met him.
He only made the coffee or something.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 09:24 AM   #2807
Stacko
Philosopher

BREAKING: Officials: White House fires top Tillerson aide who contradicted account of secretary of state's dismissal.
That's one way to confirm a story.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 10:04 AM   #2808
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Quote:
BREAKING: Trump aide Johnny McEntee was fired because he is currently under investigation by DHS for serious financial crimes, a source familiar tells our @kaitlancollins The source added the charges are not Trump related.
Well, Trump hired him for the White House and now for his campaign - saying it's not Trump related is just plain false.
I think the claim is that the financial charges are not Trump related.

Which probably annoys Trump more than anything else. "One of my aides was stealing money and I didn't get a cut? Fire him!"

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 10:16 AM   #2809
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Listening to the GOP legislators twisting themselves into knots to explain Trump's latest stupidity in a positive light firing Tillerson is quite disgusting.
Old 13th March 2018, 10:23 AM   #2810
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I think the claim is that the financial charges are not Trump related.

Which probably annoys Trump more than anything else. "One of my aides was stealing money and I didn't get a cut? Fire him!"
Kelly fired him. Dennison immediately hired him back for the campaign. He may know where some bodies are buried.
Old 13th March 2018, 10:45 AM   #2811
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

From 3 months ago: https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...88444046266368

Quote:
The media has been speculating that I fired Rex Tillerson or that he would be leaving soon - FAKE NEWS! He’s not leaving and while we disagree on certain subjects, (I call the final shots) we work well together and America is highly respected again!
https://instagram.com/p/BcLCXDYgQed/
Does 3 months count as "soon"?
Old 13th March 2018, 11:36 AM   #2812
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Wow. I can imagine what Hitchens, who to his credit subjected himself to waterboarding and deemed it torture, would be saying of this administration.
Old 13th March 2018, 11:41 AM   #2813
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Pro Torture president appoints torturer to run CIA, not exactly surprising.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 12:32 PM   #2814
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Good.
Pompeo can do way less damage at the State Department than at the CIA.
I keep seeing that name and thinking of Ellen Pompeo. And then I think a little more, and realize that Ellen Pompeo has no experience or specialized knowledge and is in no way even remotely qualified to be Secretary of State.

And yet....

She would probably still be a better pick than anyone Trump likes for the job.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 01:00 PM   #2815
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

That's simultaneously horrifying and hilarious. As most news that comes out of this White House is.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 01:07 PM   #2816
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Best People.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 01:09 PM   #2817
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Rex Tillerson called Trump a ‘*********** moron’ and wasn't fired, he spoke out against Russia and was fired the next day.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 01:14 PM   #2818
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I would have so many questions for her. What is it like watching someone throw a defenseless person against a wall?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 01:26 PM   #2819
autumn1971
Master Poster

For Trump the question is always "what would Putin do?"
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 01:27 PM   #2820
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Tillerson says his last day will be March 31. So Pompeo will be sworn into office on April Fool's Day.
Old 13th March 2018, 01:30 PM   #2821
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Rex Tillerson called Trump a ‘*********** moron’ and wasn't fired, he spoke out against Russia and was fired the next day.
Trump heard only the first word of that and liked the idea. Reminded him of Stormy.
Old 13th March 2018, 01:38 PM   #2822
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Interesting skeptical take on whether the Trump campaign paid off Stormy Daniels.

https://medium.com/@whstancil/statis...n-7c09c300cb18
Old 13th March 2018, 01:50 PM   #2823
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
Mr. McEntee wasn’t as well known as the others, but had been a constant presence at Mr. Trump’s side for the past three years. He made sure Mr. Trump had markers to sign autographs, delivered messages to him in the White House residence and, over the weekend, ensured that the clocks in the White House residence were adjusted for daylight-saving time.

Seems like he might have had need to supplement his income
Did someone tell him that there's a career civil service staff to take care of the clocks?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 02:03 PM   #2824
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Did someone tell him that there's a career civil service staff to take care of the clocks?
How can you trust them though?
Old 13th March 2018, 02:18 PM   #2825
crescent
Master Poster

The career civil servants would only move the clocks forward one hour. This compares to the administrations goal of moving the clocks back 50 years or so. So yeah, civil service sometimes just won't do the thing the prez wants done, so this guy had to do it.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 02:21 PM   #2826
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Tillerson says his last day will be March 31. So Pompeo will be sworn into office on April Fool's Day.
He upped that to midnight tonight unless I heard him wrong.

Some people think he was short of breath in the press conference. I thought he was on the verge of tearing up and was holding it back.

I thought it was bizarre that someone who spent his career in the private sector (an oil company ruining the planet and marketing science doubt no less) then one year in government was talking like he'd spent his whole career in public service or the military.

And BTW, those of you thinking it's better Pompeo is in Trump's cabinet instead of in the CIA need to look again at his hawk POV wanting to break the Iran nuke treaty and even push for regime change in both NK and Iran.

This is not a good addition to the adults in Trump's camp. Not only that, but one suggestion has been put out there that for the first 6 months of Trump's presidency he really was floundering and relying on others. But now he thinks he has this POTUS job down and can run things himself.

This is a bad omen. Never thought I'd believe getting rid of Tillerson was a bad thing.
Old 13th March 2018, 02:36 PM   #2828
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
That's simultaneously horrifying and hilarious. As most news that comes out of this White House is.
So far today: the Secretary of State is fired after disagreeing with White House stance toward Russia, his spokesman is fired after disagreeing with the White House’s account, ICE spokesman quits after saying he was asked to spread false info
Oy vey.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 02:53 PM   #2829
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Pro Torture president appoints CIA torturer to run CIA, not exactly surprising.

Just a minor addition.

It almost makes sense that way.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 03:01 PM   #2830
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

@christinawilkie

Trump: “We should have a new force called the Space Force. It’s like the Army and the Navy, but for space, because we’re spending a lot of money on space.”
Old 13th March 2018, 03:07 PM   #2831
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

And the most dangerous place inside The Beltway tonight is in between that ICE spokesman and a reporter. Scoot over Phil Mudd; there's a new talking head in town.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 03:33 PM   #2832
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

And the most dangerous place inside The Beltway tonight is in between that ICE spokesman and a reporter. Scoot over Phil Mudd; there's a new talking head in town.
He was a spokesman in San Francisco, not DC. I imagine he's still in the Frisco area.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 04:06 PM   #2833
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Too bad about those steel tariffs. We need all the steel we can get to manufacture more trains for the ongoing trainwreck parade.
Old 13th March 2018, 04:06 PM   #2834
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

@christinawilkie

Trump: “We should have a new force called the Space Force. It’s like the Army and the Navy, but for space, because we’re spending a lot of money on space.”
He also said the US is going to Mars real soon.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 04:15 PM   #2835
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Consensus is that Tillerson outster is a sign that Trump is through with the experts,and will appoint toadies who will support Trump in following his "gut feelings".
Now I think total disaster is inevitable for the country.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 04:17 PM   #2836
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Ideas of grandeur appear to be part of his personality disorder. Certainly fantasizing he's the greatest man in the world, destined to fix problems around the world from NK to Iran and to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. He probably believes he can mentor Jared to get that last one done.

There's a very clear pattern: imagine the next problem you will solve. When the walls close in crushing that belief, stir up some distractions, blame other people and fall back on those unfulfilled goals like building the wall and solving all immigration problems imagining he will fix that problem. As long as he can believe he will, he just hasn't done it yet, and as long as he can believe how great he is like at the PA rally Sat with his adoring crowds chanting his praises, he can continue his fantasy.
Old 13th March 2018, 04:19 PM   #2837
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Consensus is that Tillerson outster is a sign that Trump is through with the experts,and will appoint toadies who will support Trump in following his "gut feelings".
If we don't get him out of there the meltdown is only going to get worse.
Old 13th March 2018, 04:25 PM   #2838
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Katrina Pearson who was appointed as a senior adviser to President Trump’s re-election effort today tweeted

"Perfect Obama's dad born in Africa, Mitt Romney's dad born in Mexico. Any pure breeds left?"

So, as Trumps mom was born in Scotland, what does she think of him?

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 13th March 2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 13th March 2018, 04:28 PM   #2839
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I think Americans of all political persuasions should work together to send Trump to Mars! He will gloriously lead the way, and other people will follow several years later. A decade or two at the utmost. Perhaps by 2150. But eventually! And I'm certain Trump will have made Mars great while he waited.
Old 13th March 2018, 04:28 PM   #2840
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

That kind of assumes Tillerson is some sort of expert in diplomacy, so fails right from the start.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics