ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brilliant Light Power , free energy , Randell Mills

Closed Thread
Old 13th March 2018, 07:43 AM   #3841
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Clearly, it's cosmic strings made of dark matter.
Old 13th March 2018, 11:21 AM   #3842
UncertainH
Scholar

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
FYI: That "Figure 32.9" is in his deluded book and really does have the temperature of the universe as about 2.75 K at t = 0 !
Then he idiotically has the temperature decreasing as time passes and getting to 0 at ~6.2 x 1011 years.

The reality is that the temperature of the CMB is measured to increase from its current value of about 2.75 K with redshift so that at a redshift of 3 it is ~11 K.
Constraints on the CMB Temperature Evolution using Multi-Band Measurements of the Sunyaev Zel'dovich Effect with the South Pole Telescope
Slight correction here, the temperature of the Universe increases with redshift - ie. the past. Both the generally accepted Big Bang theory and surprisingly Mills agree that the universe cools as it expands.
UncertainH is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 01:23 PM   #3843
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by UncertainH View Post
Slight correction here, the temperature of the Universe increases with redshift - ie. the past. Both the generally accepted Big Bang theory and surprisingly Mills agree that the universe cools as it expands.
You are right - I did not make it clear that the idiotic bit was the temperature getting to 0, i.e. absolute zero, which is impossible.

Mills curve is not the CMB temperature in an expanding universe which never gets to zero. The CMB temperature will halve every 8 billion years from now on.

Mills does an irrelevant calculation of the gravitational red shift of a photon.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 05:30 AM   #3844
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I've been searching around to no avail to find a known chemical reaction that produces smoke, which then solidifies into fibrous material, but I'm happy to admit that my google-fu may be letting me down, and my chemical knowledge is slim. I would assume, if Mills is replicating it, that it can't be that obscure. Are there any chemists reading this thread who can offer any insight?
Old 14th March 2018, 06:03 AM   #3845
HighRiser
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Hmm, video of the formation of the "spider's web" here:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Can anybody explain what the likely chemical reaction actually is?
If you look closely at the first few frames you can see a thin filament between the two electrodes. I'd bet that the silky stuff came from whatever happens when high voltage burns up tungsten.

Science is not hopelessly hobbled just because it knows the difference between fact and imagination. -JayUtah
HighRiser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 07:24 AM   #3846
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HighRiser View Post
If you look closely at the first few frames you can see a thin filament between the two electrodes.
Yes, that's obviously the source of the material or, perhaps, something that reacts with something in the atmosphere to create the material when vaporised. What I'm asking is what is it composed of, what does it react with, and what is the resultant substance.

Quote:
I'd bet that the silky stuff came from whatever happens when high voltage burns up tungsten.
This page lists tungsten reactions, and the only two which seem to apply are the creation of tungsten trioxide, which doesn't look similar (not least because it's a pretty green colour), and tungsten hexafluride, which is a colourless gas.

So, unless there's a chemist who can point out something I'm missing, or unless there are reactions that haven't been mentioned on that page, then it doesn't seem to be a reaction of tungsten.
Old 14th March 2018, 07:30 AM   #3847
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Is it acting as if it is magnetic, it seems to be incredible light whatever it is and if that was magnetic I'd expect it to be very quickly pulled onto the magnet not waving about unaligned with the magnetic field?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology