ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 10th March 2018, 09:16 AM   #1521
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
That's pretty desperate...
Not to say panicky. Oh, I have said it ...

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 12:11 PM   #1522
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

In something of a 180, after 5 and half hours of testifying, Sam Nunberg says that the Russia investigation is warranted, and that it's not a witch hunt, although also contradicting his news-programme spree/meltdown, he says that he doesn't think it leads to Trump
Old 10th March 2018, 03:12 PM   #1523
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Quote:
' “They said it was a media meltdown. I felt I melted down the media,” Nunberg said in an interview with ABC News on Friday. '
Did he just say "I know you are, but what am I"?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 03:27 AM   #1524
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that Mueller has almost finished the part of his investigation concerning obstruction of justice, but that he may hold off on it in order to avoid damaging other aspects of the investigation
Old 13th March 2018, 04:30 AM   #1525
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Qatari officials reportedly have incriminating evidence of the UAE having influence on Kushner and other Trump associates, but have declined to turn it over to Mueller for fear of souring Qatar/White House relations
Old 13th March 2018, 04:37 AM   #1526
Belz...
Fiend God

I love how Trump thinks he can deal himself out of this one.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 05:14 AM   #1527
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Link is messed up.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...ueller-n855326

Quote:
Lebanese-American businessman George Nader and Republican donor Elliott Broidy, who participated in the meetings, have both been the focus of news reports in recent days about their connections to the UAE and Trump associates.
Have they testified / been subpoenaed?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 06:41 AM   #1528
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Thanks.

Quote:
Have they testified / been subpoenaed?
Nadar has. See posts #1500 & #1501.
Old 13th March 2018, 11:57 AM   #1529
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The judge presiding over the Manafort fraud case says that he could face the rest of his life in prison
Old 13th March 2018, 07:48 PM   #1530
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
"Manafort’s conditions of release are now subject to approval by two judges, with the result that the once high-flying international consultant is now wearing two bracelets to allow his movements to be tracked by GPS."
How delicious.

Old 14th March 2018, 05:46 AM   #1531
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
How delicious.
How does it work? One on each ankle? Both on the same ankle? Are they waterproof, or otherwise an impediment to showering? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 14th March 2018, 06:07 AM   #1532
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
How does it work? One on each ankle? Both on the same ankle? Are they waterproof, or otherwise an impediment to showering? Inquiring minds want to know.

I was kinda curious why they needed two.

In case one fails and they don't notice?

In case he cuts one off and they don't notice?

Because if one is good then two must be twice as good?
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 06:12 AM   #1533
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post

I believe one is state and the other is federal. They work on different systems so the tracking can't be shared by one device. That's the explanation I heard, anyway.
Old 14th March 2018, 06:14 AM   #1534
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Two, one per jurisdiction in which he's in hot water.
Old 14th March 2018, 06:23 AM   #1535
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Two, one per jurisdiction in which he's in hot water.
I'm thinking we have a hint about your earlier question.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 09:40 AM   #1536
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

From the article, it sounds like the judge, or one of them, is willing to relax restrictions if he can show $10M in assets to put up as collateral. If I had his wealth, that would be chump change if I could exchange it for not spending life in prison.
Old 15th March 2018, 03:36 AM   #1538
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

it is hilarious that Manafort's lawyers think that even should Mueller drop the investigation into Manafort, other investigators and prosecutors wouldn't pick up where he left.
Old 15th March 2018, 12:01 PM   #1539
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post

That's the reason why cattle have four ear tags.

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I believe one is state and the other is federal. They work on different systems so the tracking can't be shared by one device. That's the explanation I heard, anyway.
No, they're both federal, one from the DC federal district court and one from Virginia federal district court, according to SB's CNN link.

ETA: the sweet irony in this is that Manafort voluntarily waived the right to have all federal charges moved to the same district court.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

Last edited by ddt; 15th March 2018 at 12:02 PM.
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 12:40 PM   #1540
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This has been posted in one of the other threads, but is definitely worth posting here, too: it's being reported that Mueller has subpoenaed the Trump Organisation for "all records related to Russia and other topics [Mueller] is investigating"
Old 15th March 2018, 01:02 PM   #1541
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Seismic.
Attention passengers, fasten your seat belts.
Old 15th March 2018, 01:12 PM   #1542
Molinaro
Illuminator

Just heard from someone talking on a news program, not sure who it was:

"It is now confirmed beyond a shadow of doubt. There is no evidence of collusion between Donald Trump and reality."
Old 15th March 2018, 03:55 PM   #1543
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Vanessa Trump filing divorce papers today means that she can be forced to testify against Donald Trump Jr., as the divorce wipes out spousal privilege.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 04:07 PM   #1544
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
it is hilarious that Manafort's lawyers think that even should Mueller drop the investigation into Manafort, other investigators and prosecutors wouldn't pick up where he left.
I very much doubt they think that. Most likely they're thinking "billable hours".

Old 15th March 2018, 04:14 PM   #1545
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Vanessa Trump filing divorce papers today means that she can be forced to testify against Donald Trump Jr., as the divorce wipes out spousal privilege.
So Fredo's wife is walking out on him.Interesting.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 04:26 PM   #1546
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Ooh, hadn't thought of that aspect. There'll be some sort of silence agreement in the divorce, of course, but that won't get you out of a subpoena.
Old 15th March 2018, 04:32 PM   #1547
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Ooh, hadn't thought of that aspect. There'll be some sort of silence agreement in the divorce, of course, but that won't get you out of a subpoena.
Of course, depending on how nasty this divorce gets, Vanessa might actually be looking forward to testifying....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 04:52 PM   #1548
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

She can see which way the prison door is swinging.

She's bailing while she has a chance.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th March 2018, 07:23 AM   #1549
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

John Dowd puts public pressure on Rosenstein to end Mueller's investigation
Old 17th March 2018, 07:27 AM   #1550
Stacko
Philosopher

The "official reasons" that Comey and McCabe were fired for have nothing to do with why Mueller was appointed. Why not just openly say you want to obstruct justice?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th March 2018, 08:29 AM   #1551
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Just to note that the story about Dowd above has been updated - although he initially said he was speaking in an official capacity on behalf of Trump, he has since claimed that he was speaking in a personal capacity and not on Trump's behalf.
Old 17th March 2018, 08:49 AM   #1552
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/MarkWarner/statu...22062388604928

Quote:
Every member of Congress, Republican and Democrat, needs to speak up in defense of the Special Counsel. Now.
Old 17th March 2018, 09:45 AM   #1553
TellyKNeasuss
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Of course, depending on how nasty this divorce gets, Vanessa might actually be looking forward to testifying....
She certainly has a lot of leverage to use to get a lucrative settlement.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th March 2018, 02:41 PM   #1554
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

McCabe has met with Mueller, and has turned over his memos. It's unclear whether this meeting was before or after he was fired.
Old 17th March 2018, 02:55 PM   #1555
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

I don't believe that's correct, and am 100% sure you shouldn't make that blanket statement unless you are a NY State Attorney.
Old 18th March 2018, 01:51 AM   #1556
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...63071361683456

Quote:
The Mueller probe should never have been started in that there was no collusion and there was no crime. It was based on fraudulent activities and a Fake Dossier paid for by Crooked Hillary and the DNC, and improperly used in FISA COURT for surveillance of my campaign. WITCH HUNT!
This is the first time Trump has used Mueller's name in a tweet.
Old 18th March 2018, 02:00 AM   #1557
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The above tweet reportedly was made after Mueller gave Trump's legal team a set of questions he will use as a "sort of starting point" for an interview
Old 18th March 2018, 02:36 AM   #1558
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Mueller is a cool customer: it seems like he is goading Trump into more Obstruction of Justice.
I hope he has a backup plan in case he gets fired and doesn't trust Congress and/or the DoJ to have his back.
Old 18th March 2018, 07:08 AM   #1559
TellyKNeasuss
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
I don't believe that's correct, and am 100% sure you shouldn't make that blanket statement unless you are a NY State Attorney.
I think that she can be compelled to testify but she might not be able to be compelled to reveal the contents of conversations, emails, letters, etc.

Last edited by TellyKNeasuss; 18th March 2018 at 07:09 AM.
TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th March 2018, 07:15 AM   #1560
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Quote:
“I pray that Acting Attorney General Rosenstein will follow the brilliant and courageous example of the FBI Office of Professional Responsibility and Attorney General Jeff Sessions and bring an end to alleged Russia Collusion investigation manufactured by McCabe’s boss James Comey based upon a fraudulent and corrupt Dossier,” Dowd then wrote.
Wow. That's a whole lotta wrong to pack into one sentence. Without any commas, even.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics