ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations , vladimir putin

Closed Thread
Old 14th March 2018, 03:20 AM   #2761
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee have released their own report, detailing the key witnesses that have not been interviewed, and the documents that have not been procured, despite the Republicans declaring the investigation finished
Old 15th March 2018, 03:15 AM   #2762
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/sta...14920508497922

Quote:
Eric Swalwell to @NicolleDWallace on House Intel Republicans: "We saw strong evidence of collusion. They just chose to ignore it. And some of them worked very hard to bury it."
Old 15th March 2018, 03:19 AM   #2763
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...ian-diplomats/

Quote:
The United States stands in solidarity with its closest ally, the United Kingdom. The United States shares the United Kingdom’s assessment that Russia is responsible for the reckless nerve agent attack on a British citizen and his daughter, and we support the United Kingdom’s decision to expel Russian diplomats as a just response. This latest action by Russia fits into a pattern of behavior in which Russia disregards the international rules-based order, undermines the sovereignty and security of countries worldwide, and attempts to subvert and discredit Western democratic institutions and processes. The United States is working together with our allies and partners to ensure that this kind of abhorrent attack does not happen again.
Old 15th March 2018, 03:31 AM   #2764
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/974010333416378369

Quote:
At UN Security Council meeting, Amb. [Nikki] Haley says US believes Russia is responsible for nerve attack:

"If we don’t take immediate, concrete measures to address this now, Salisbury will not be the last place we see chemical weapons used ... This is a defining moment."
Old 15th March 2018, 04:11 AM   #2765
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Who's she planning to blame? Tillerson greased the skids on his own departure sled by criticizing Putie and purportedly it angered Trump to the point that he finally pulled the plug.

Any word on whether Haley is circulating her resume?

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 10:56 AM   #2766
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/u...er-russia.html

WASHINGTON — The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, has subpoenaed the Trump Organization to turn over documents, including some related to Russia, according to two people briefed on the matter. The order is the first known time that the special counsel demanded documents directly related to President Trump’s businesses, bringing the investigation closer to the president.

The breadth of the subpoena was not clear, nor was it clear why Mr. Mueller issued it instead of simply asking for the documents from the company, an umbrella organization that oversees Mr. Trump’s business ventures. In the subpoena, delivered in recent weeks, Mr. Mueller ordered the Trump Organization to hand over all documents related to Russia and other topics he is investigating, the people said.
Old 15th March 2018, 10:57 AM   #2767
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Trump says "it certainly looks like the Russians were behind it" about the UK nerve agent attack

And the US has imposed sanctions on 19 individuals, including the 13 Mueller indicted, with Steve Munchin saying they are responsible for "destructive cyber-attacks, and intrusions targeting critical infrastructure", and promises further sanctions

If even the Trump administration are officially recognising it, then surely it must give those who have been denying it pause for thought?
Old 15th March 2018, 11:02 AM   #2768
TheSupermeerkat
Thinker

It’s an example of Trump’s eleventy-D chess. If he does anything negative to the Ruskies, it undermines the whole whole Trump/Russia connection.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 11:17 AM   #2769
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
It’s an example of Trump’s eleventy-D chess. If he does anything negative to the Ruskies, it undermines the whole whole Trump/Russia connection.
I can't help but notice the timing. It sounds like Trump is throwing Russia under the bus now that the investigation is breaching the Trump Organization's outer walls.

(is that too many metaphors?)
Old 15th March 2018, 12:06 PM   #2770
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/u...er-russia.html

WASHINGTON — The special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, has subpoenaed the Trump Organization to turn over documents, including some related to Russia, according to two people briefed on the matter. The order is the first known time that the special counsel demanded documents directly related to President Trump’s businesses, bringing the investigation closer to the president.

The breadth of the subpoena was not clear, nor was it clear why Mr. Mueller issued it instead of simply asking for the documents from the company, an umbrella organization that oversees Mr. Trump’s business ventures. In the subpoena, delivered in recent weeks, Mr. Mueller ordered the Trump Organization to hand over all documents related to Russia and other topics he is investigating, the people said.
I was thinking we had a slow day today. Usually there'd be a PR disaster or two by now.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 04:45 PM   #2771
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/974375638286196737

Quote:
Dear House Intel Republicans: Mueller indicted 13 Russians for conspiracy to help @realDonaldTrump & disparage Hillary. Trump Administration has now sanctioned them.

You are going to look mighty stupid if your partisan report actually says these Russians weren't helping Trump.
Old 15th March 2018, 04:54 PM   #2772
Stacyhs
Illuminator

D.Trump Jr's wife has filed for divorce.

Rats, ship, sinking....?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 05:18 PM   #2773
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
D.Trump Jr's wife has filed for divorce.

Rats, ship, sinking....?
Gold, digging?
Old 15th March 2018, 05:35 PM   #2774
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that House intelligence Republicans feel they botched the announcement of the end of the Russia investigation - and some are reportedly privately standing with Gowdy's statement that it's clear that Russia was working to harm the Clinton campaign
Old 15th March 2018, 05:47 PM   #2775
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

"Intelligence Republicans". Stop, already, you're killing me.

They may be privately standing with Gowdy, but you can bet Trump's lickspittle Nunes has grassed them up already.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 09:39 PM   #2776
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

They had to get that out now in case Trump tries to shut down Mueller. They or Trump will then be able to say that they have already finished their investigation and there was no collusion.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 11:02 PM   #2777
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

It is just stupid for Republicans to claim that Russia didn't help Trump win whilst admitting that they did work to undermine Clinton: in an election this close it amounts to same thing.
Old 15th March 2018, 11:09 PM   #2778
Stacyhs
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Gold, digging?
You can bet there was a pre-nup. But with five children, she'll still walk away with a fortune in child support and a huge house at the very least.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 12:37 AM   #2779
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You can bet there was a pre-nup. But with five children, she'll still walk away with a fortune in child support and a huge house at the very least.
Unless Donald Jr is shown to have a lower income and rather fewer assets than a casual observer may be drawn to believe. Suddenly all the assets belong to Trump Corp or some other company in which he has little or no direct interest
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 01:32 AM   #2780
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's being reported that House Democrats are looking to interview an NRA lawyer after she expressed concerns about the NRA potentially being used to funnel funds from Russia to the Trump campaign
Old 16th March 2018, 01:34 AM   #2781
Bob001
Philosopher

The authors of "Russian Roulette: The Inside Story of Putin’s War on America and the Election of Donald Trump," talk about their findings.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...velations.html
https://www.amazon.com/Russian-Roule.../dp/B075WVX3MS
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 01:39 AM   #2782
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/974458716866203648

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: The Trump administration today announced that Russia has successfully launched a cyberattack on our nuclear power grid, has compromised the grid, and can shut it down at will. This is on top of what Russia did to our election. We are under attack by a hostile power
Old 16th March 2018, 02:02 AM   #2783
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

This is probably the reason why Obama didn't pull the trigger on attacking Russia's cyber-infrastructure: we are in another MAD scenario, only this time in Cyberspace.
Old 16th March 2018, 02:44 AM   #2784
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/974458716866203648

Quote:
BREAKING NEWS: The Trump administration today announced that Russia has successfully launched a cyberattack on our nuclear power grid, has compromised the grid, and can shut it down at will. This is on top of what Russia did to our election. We are under attack by a hostile power
I'm not seeing important parts of this corroborated. https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA18-074A is the link that CNN gave to the announcement. On a quick skim, various areas were targeted, including nuclear stuff, yes, but details about what was actually compromised seem less clear. The claim about "can shut it down at will" seems completely unsupported, regardless of whether it's even potentially feasible. I fully admit to my ignorance about how, exactly, the relevant power grids are set up, though, which leads to that last qualification.

On a notably different topic, NBC is reporting that a couple House Democrats are claiming that whistleblowers are saying that government workers are being targeted for not supporting Trump strongly enough.

Last edited by Aridas; 16th March 2018 at 02:46 AM.
Aridas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 02:48 AM   #2785
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I'm not seeing important parts of this corroborated. https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA18-074A is the link that CNN gave to the announcement. On a quick skim, various areas were targeted, including nuclear stuff, yes, but details about what was actually compromised seem less clear. The claim about "can shut it down at will" seems completely unsupported, regardless of whether it's even potentially feasible. I fully admit to my ignorance about how, exactly, the relevant power grids are set up, though, which leads to that last qualification.

On a notably different topic, NBC is reporting that a couple House Democrats are claiming that whistleblowers are saying that government workers are being targeted for not supporting Trump strongly enough.
Call me sceptical about that claim too.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 02:56 AM   #2786
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Taking down an electrical grid, at least for a while, isn't hard: bad weather or peak load might do it for you.
Add to that the fact that while US grids are connected across state lines, providers are often independent.
If would not have been difficult to insert malware during all the upgrades.
Old 16th March 2018, 03:16 AM   #2787
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Thanks. When I first saw that tweet I couldn't find it being reported anywhere else. I agree with you that it seems to very much overstate the truth, as per that report.
Old 16th March 2018, 03:24 AM   #2789
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

I guess we now know which documents Mueller is looking for with his subpoena.
Old 16th March 2018, 03:30 AM   #2790
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

The Trump Organisation has ties going back to Russia for decades, and much of it is alleged to be about money laundering. I'm sure Mueller, given his remit, won't want to stick just to Trump Tower Moscow.
Old 16th March 2018, 03:32 AM   #2791
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

The Trump Organisation has ties going back to Russia for decades, and much of it is alleged to be about money laundering. I'm sure Mueller, given his remit, won't want to stick just to Trump Tower Moscow.
According to his mandate, Mueller has to follow the breadcrumbs - and Trump Tower Moscow is his way into the rest of the Trump Organization.
Old 16th March 2018, 04:01 AM   #2792
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
According to his mandate, Mueller has to follow the breadcrumbs - and Trump Tower Moscow is his way into the rest of the Trump Organization.
Well, his remit is to investigate "any links and/or coordination between the Russian government and individuals associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump", "any matters that arose or may arise directly from the investigation", and "any other matters within the scope of 28 C.F.R § 600.4(a)" - just the first of those alone would, I think, allow him to subpoena any documents the Trump Organisation may have concerning connections to Russia. After all, it doesn't say that the coordination had to be part of the campaign, just that it has to be between the Russian government and members of the Trump campaign - which includes Trump himself.
Old 16th March 2018, 05:37 AM   #2793
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Future historians and novelists will study these times and events with something approaching awe.

Shady businessman entangled in Trump-Russia investigation claims he doubled as American spy
Old 16th March 2018, 05:46 AM   #2794
TheSupermeerkat
Thinker

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Future historians and novelists will study these times and events with something approaching awe.

Shady businessman entangled in Trump-Russia investigation claims he doubled as American spy

The best people!
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 06:22 AM   #2795
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post

I'd trust Felix Sater as far as I can throw him with uncorroborated statements.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 07:34 AM   #2796
Wudang
BOFH

Thanks. When I first saw that tweet I couldn't find it being reported anywhere else. I agree with you that it seems to very much overstate the truth, as per that report.
A Wired article from last year has some details that tend to support some of the claims
https://www.wired.com/story/hackers-...power-systems/
Old 16th March 2018, 12:55 PM   #2798
Bob001
Philosopher

A thumbnail summary of why Trump is scared:
Quote:
It’s important to note that the president has deep ties to Russia that go way beyond his unfulfilled desire to build a Trump Tower in Moscow or the Miss Universe pageant he held there. When Trump is asked about whether he has such ties, he tends to say things such as, “For the record, I have ZERO investments in Russia.” This is a clever sleight of hand, because the question isn’t whether Trump has put money into Russia, but whether Russians have put money into Trump. And they almost certainly have.

You can’t succeed in the real estate business without access to capital. But after a series of business bankruptcies in the 1990s, Trump found it impossible to borrow money, because banks refused to lend to him (the one exception was Deutsche Bank). So he had to find new sources of cash, and he went abroad, especially to the former Soviet Union.

A few years ago, a golf journalist asked Trump how he was able to get the money to continue to build golf courses after the financial crisis, and he replied that he had access to $100 million. The journalist later asked Eric Trump what his father was talking about, and according to him, Eric Trump replied, “Well, we don’t rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia.” (Eric Trump has denied saying this.)

Donald Trump Jr. admitted this, too. “Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets,” he said in 2008, “say in Dubai, and certainly with our project in SoHo and anywhere in New York. We see a lot of money pouring in from Russia.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...=.a4abbb16637d
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 01:06 PM   #2799
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Trump believes that he and Putin are kindred spirits: that is why he ceaselessly flatters Putin, because that is what would work on Trump.
But he couldn't be more wrong: Putin respects power and control, being able to make people love and fear you. He probably has nothing but contempt for Trump's constant kowtowing.
If Putin considered Trump to be someone to deal with, he would have let him build something in Moscow long ago.
Old 16th March 2018, 08:13 PM   #2800
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump believes that he and Putin are kindred spirits: that is why he ceaselessly flatters Putin, because that is what would work on Trump.
But he couldn't be more wrong: Putin respects power and control, being able to make people love and fear you. He probably has nothing but contempt for Trump's constant kowtowing.
If Putin considered Trump to be someone to deal with, he would have let him build something in Moscow long ago.
Rather than kindred spirits I'd think it was more like Trump imagines himself to be in Putin's circle and on Putin's level.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics