ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 17th January 2018, 04:29 PM   #1
NoahFence
Banned

The Trump Presidency (Act V - The One Where Everybody Dies)

Mod InfoThis thread continues from here. The split was for length only and you may quote older parts within this new thread. Thank you.
Posted By:Loss Leader

Chief of Staff Kelly to lawmakers regarding the wall - President trump was "uninformed" when he made that promise.

Ya think?

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/17/politi...ess/index.html

Quote:
White House chief of staff John Kelly told Democratic lawmakers Wednesday that some of President Donald Trump's positions as a candidate on the border wall were "uninformed,"

Last edited by Loss Leader; 17th January 2018 at 09:49 PM.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 04:38 PM   #2
p0lka
Graduate Poster

Did he pass the dementia test?
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 04:46 PM   #3
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I'd rather have Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski do Trump's story than Aaron Sorkin. I've always found Sorkin's stuff to be awful, but American Crime Story was absolutely riveting last year.

And, really, who doesn't want to see what weird way John Travolta would have of playing Donald Trump?

But I want to see this with the Trump white house

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 17th January 2018, 04:52 PM   #4
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Chief of Staff Kelly to lawmakers regarding the wall - President trump was "uninformed" when he made that promise.

Ya think?

Is "uninformed" WH code for "stupid" and "asinine"?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 05:00 PM   #5
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Ya think?

What was Trump "uninformed" about?

And if Trump is now "informed" why did he just ask for $18 billion to build huge sections of a wall?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 05:06 PM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
Did he pass the dementia test?
Yes. No.
Old 17th January 2018, 05:16 PM   #7
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
He previously said that the wall would be beautiful when everyone already knew that it wouldn't be.

Quote:
And if Trump is now "informed" why did he just ask for $18 billion to build huge sections of a wall?
The wall is a go, it just won't be beautiful.
Old 17th January 2018, 05:17 PM   #8
NoahFence
Banned

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
That it would actually happen.

Quote:
because he's retarded.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 05:28 PM   #9
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Just a reminder that Trump promised to make his Fake News Awards today.
Today is actually the reschedule of the first scheduled day for the awards.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 05:29 PM   #10
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
That it would actually happen. [/quote]
None of what I've read makes that perfectly clear... I've seen other references that suggest that Kelly may have been pointing out the possibility of just using fencing in some places, or that the wall wouldn't be across the entire border. But again, nothing really explicitly says "this is what Kelly is telling Trump".

Quote:
Quote:
because he's retarded.
Well, that goes without saying.

I really have to wonder what's going through Kelly's mind over this. He must know that what he's saying is contradicted by Trump, and that he has no credibility on this.

And it should also be noted that Kelly's explanation that its different when you are campaigning than when you are actually in charge is... questionable. Nobody says a president can get everything they campaign on, but making a promise that is somehow blocked when you try to implement it is quite a bit different than making a promise that can in no way be fulfilled.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 05:36 PM   #11
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Sanders said Sen. Flake was only saying the things he did today about The PDJT because of his poll numbers being down. Um, Flake is not going for re-election couldn't give a darn about his poll numbers.
Old 17th January 2018, 05:59 PM   #12
JPK
Graduate Poster

Good evening a_unique_person
Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Today is actually the reschedule of the first scheduled day for the awards.
Coming soon. In two weeks. Right after FLOTUS holds her press conference explaining her legal immigration to becoming a U.S. citizen.
John Kardel
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 06:19 PM   #13
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Trump just tweeted his Fake News Awards.

Link to GOP.com that first returned 404 Error, then offline.
Old 17th January 2018, 06:26 PM   #14
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

That it would actually happen.

because he's retarded.
The Dems need to meet The Hair halfway. They should agree to front the money for the wall if they see a down payment from Mexico. Seems reasonable.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 06:27 PM   #15
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

Still giving 404 error
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 06:27 PM   #16
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

So I think what you're saying is that the GOP is actually the winner of the fake news award.

I'd agree with that.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 17th January 2018, 06:36 PM   #17
JPK
Graduate Poster

Looks like all other Trump ventures.
"site is temporarily offline, we are working to bring it back up. Please try back later."
Like two weeks later. Dope.
ETA: Prediction.... the reason the site crashed is because of the amazing, stupendous, overwhelming amount of people trying to view it.
John Kardel

Last edited by JPK; 17th January 2018 at 06:39 PM.
JPK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 06:43 PM   #18
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

It's the obvious distributed-denial-of-serice attack Putin the great interest will always generate in the early stages of such an event. Here's an archived version: http://archive.is/b9hGt

Paul Krugman wins. Interesting. "It's the economy, stupid".
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 06:53 PM   #19
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Fake News Awards
1. The New York Times’ Paul Krugman claimed on the day of President Trump’s historic, landslide victory that the economy would never recover.
That's not fake news. That's an opinion or prediction.
Old 17th January 2018, 07:21 PM   #20
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
The Dems need to meet The Hair halfway. They should agree to front the money for the wall if they see a down payment from Mexico. Seems reasonable.
They can be even more generous. They should promise to match whatever Mexico pays.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 08:15 PM   #21
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
"Enquiring minds wanna know!"

Every one of these stupid stories digs the grave a little deeper for the Dems in 2020.

They're making him a martyr by reporting anything and everything someone claims in a tabloid. And it gets reported here too, as if anybody cares about Trumps skills in the bedroom. Every non-story like this just strengthens him to the point where even actual issues are dismissed because "It's just the press picking on him again". Doesn't anyone get this?

I just realized these are bullying tactics, "Haha Trump is lousy in be-ed!!! Trump has small ha-ands neener neener!" Dems are behaving very badly. I can't believe this has not changed over the past year. They really do not know how to handle this at all.

CNNs webpage is a joke. They are worse than Fox now in their partisanship - well maybe equal. I can't stomach either site now. It's embarrassing.

The media went quickly from reporting about Trump to picking on Trump some time ago and it has done nothing but help him. "Oh my Gawd he said ****hole!" Nobody cares, get a clue.

Nobody cares because they, at least in part, agree with him, and they are sick and tired of listening to liberal whining. Liberals are reelecting Trump as I type this.
I think you're mistaking "I don't care" for "people don't care". Yeah, he's getting sympathy... from people who already support him, if reluctantly, like, well,.... YOU.

If you think having your country a laughing stock and your president a national embarrassment is a plus for Teh Trump or a minus for the Dems you are sadly mistaken. Il Buffo lost in Virginia and in Alabama of all places. One is a swing state the other is dark red for decades. And this was before the latest hilarity.

And I believe you sadly underestimate the American public if you think sufficient number of our citizens aren't upset to the point of actively participating against the GOP in '18 (for the continued denials and no questions asked partisan support) you are mistaken... and will be motivated as hell to fight Trump in '20.

#NoImpeachment - I want the buffoon to continue in the Bannon mode and tear apart the evil alliance that makes up the New GOP.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 09:05 PM   #22
Tero
Graduate Poster

Trump misses Hillary. She was his ideal punching bag. Now he is just going at windmills. Fake news and all his favorites.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 09:32 PM   #23
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Trump’s Physical Revealed Serious Heart Concerns, Outside Experts Say

Originally Posted by New York Times
Cardiologists not associated with the White House said Wednesday that President Trump’s physical exam revealed serious heart concerns, including very high levels of so-called bad cholesterol, which raises the risk that Mr. Trump could have a heart attack while in office.

Dr. Ronny L. Jackson, a rear admiral and the White House physician, said Tuesday in his report on the president’s medical condition that Mr. Trump was in “excellent” cardiac health despite having an LDL cholesterol level of 143, well above the desired level of 100 or less.

Dr. David Maron, the director of preventive cardiology at Stanford University’s medical school, said Wednesday that it was alarming that the president’s LDL levels remain above 140 even though he is taking 10 milligrams of Crestor, a powerful drug that is used to lower cholesterol levels to well below 100.

Dr. Maron said he would “definitely” be worried about Mr. Trump’s risk for having a heart attack if the president were one of his patients. Asked if Mr. Trump is in perfect health, Dr. Maron offered a blunt reply: “God, no.”....

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/01/1...olesterol.html
Old 17th January 2018, 10:10 PM   #24
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

But it will be a heart attack the like of which you've never seen.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 11:23 PM   #25
Arcade22
Illuminator

Was there a fake news award show while I was sleeping? I hope I didn't get exited for Trump doing something increadibly cringeworthy and completely awkward, like his old press conferences which are forever memorialized and recorded for posterity.

We could all use another Trumpism like "fine tuned machine" to lighten up our day.
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2018, 11:54 PM   #26
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
So like every person with a moderately high cholesterol that is overweight and under exercised has a serious heart condition now?

I'm sorry but this really is a nothing burger.

It's not fake-news, it's make-news where there isn't any. CNN and Dr Gupta did a whole waste of time segment on it too.
Old 18th January 2018, 12:17 AM   #27
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

So getting a second opinion about Donald Trump supposedly "excellent" health was a good idea after all. Who would have thought?

I mean that quack doctor even said that Trumps health was just so good and amazing because of his great genes. On what possible basis could he make that claim?
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 12:50 AM   #28
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I saw he passed a cognitive test as well. So, he has no excuse, he really is a raging scrotum ferret. There's no medical explanation for what a vile dick weasel he is.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 01:03 AM   #29
Stacyhs
Philosopher

The Washington Post did some fact checking on Donnie's Fake News Awards:

Quote:
To sum up, at least eight of the “Fake News” winners resulted in corrections, with two reports prompting suspensions or resignations. Two of the winners were simply tweets that were quickly corrected and never resulted in news articles. One was an opinion article in which the author later retracted his prediction.

Let’s it put it this way: If the president admitted error as frequently, he would earn far fewer Pinocchios.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.dcc49a998855

Making up childish Fake News Awards is how Trump spends his time when not tweeting, playing golf, and watching TV while eating cheeseburgers.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 01:35 AM   #30
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Making up childish Fake News Awards is how Trump spends his time when not tweeting, playing golf, and watching TV while eating cheeseburgers.
One does wonder at his priorities, I mean think of the time he's wasted on the awards - that's time lost that he could have used to improve his golf!
Old 18th January 2018, 02:06 AM   #31
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Was there a fake news award show while I was sleeping?

You're still asleep.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 02:11 AM   #32
Lurch
Muse

Why the hell is that excreble wall at all in play? Trump campaigned on the promise that it would be paid for by Mexico. If he can't force your southern neighbor to fork over the dinero, he has what I see to be a legitimate out. But if the expectation by the rabid base is to have Americans fund it and then get prompt reimbursement from Mexico, that would be a bloody good instance of cognitive dissonance on the part of the racist bastages wherein the supposedly untrustworthy, criminal Mexicans--while being affronted no less--will be willingly subject to usury.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 02:20 AM   #33
fagin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I saw he passed a cognitive test as well. So, he has no excuse, he really is a raging scrotum ferret. There's no medical explanation for what a vile dick weasel he is.
If it was anything like this test it's not exactly rocket science:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42717163

No argument with the scrotum ferret/dick weasel bit though.
Old 18th January 2018, 02:29 AM   #34
C_Felix
Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fake News Awards
1. The New York Times’ Paul Krugman claimed on the day of President Trump’s historic, landslide victory that the economy would never recover.
That's not fake news. That's an opinion or prediction.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Quote:
Quote:
To sum up, at least eight of the “Fake News” winners resulted in corrections, with two reports prompting suspensions or resignations. Two of the winners were simply tweets that were quickly corrected and never resulted in news articles. One was an opinion article in which the author later retracted his prediction.
Let’s it put it this way: If the president admitted error as frequently, he would earn far fewer Pinocchios.

I even started a thread: http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317228
to try to define what "fake news" is.

What is contained in the list is hardly fake.
Old 18th January 2018, 02:32 AM   #35
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Are the Central Park 5 in there? Obama born in Kenya? Mexico building the Wall?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 02:33 AM   #36
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
You're still asleep.
No I'm awake. On the other hand Trump's "fake news awards" ended up being the biggest flop of this year.

Someone should hold a real award ceremony with prices handed out to RT, presstv, sputnik, fox news, infowars, Breitbart and other propaganda outlets.
Old 18th January 2018, 02:36 AM   #37
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
I even started a thread: http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317228
to try to define what "fake news" is.

What is contained in the list is hardly fake.
Trump and many of his voters honestly believe that "fake news" doesn't mean news that's fake or otherwise misleading. Instead it's all about whether they find it upsetting and portrays trump negatively.
Old 18th January 2018, 02:55 AM   #38
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

So, will this be the big (bang) weekend? I'm afraid the new Continuation thread title might prove true. (I know I've been thinking that for months now, but it always gets worse!)

Government shutdown looming while The PDJT wastes time on his Faxe News Awards, someone close to spilling the beans in the Russiannocollusion investigation, signs he is giving up on The Wall and never knew what he was talking about in the first place, charging Russia with colluding with North Korea, and oh yeah, the one-year anniversary of the biggest Inauguration crowd size in history ever, ever, ever.

This is going to take some serious distraction. Firing Mueller and firing a nuke at the same time probably seems like a good idea.

Last edited by alfaniner; 18th January 2018 at 02:59 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 03:13 AM   #39
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
So, will this be the big (bang) weekend? I'm afraid the new Continuation thread title might prove true. (I know I've been thinking that for months now, but it always gets worse!)

Government shutdown looming while The PDJT wastes time on his Faxe News Awards,
Firstly, it doesn't seem like he put much effort into the Fake News awards (are the Faxe News awarded by a Danish brewery ? ) and secondly, I'm not sure that it's better that President Trump is kept busy Tweeting instead of meddling with the "grown up" work of dealing with the upcoming Government shutdown.

Certainly IMO his performance in the DACA meeting with the Democrats was hardly inspiring, agreeing with two diametrically opposed views and then saying he'd sign whatever they came up with. A leader would have attempted to find common ground instead of stumbling around like a large, confused herbivore.

someone close to spilling the beans in the Russiannocollusion investigation,
Someone is always close, but the GOP Omerta seems strong

signs he is giving up on The Wall and never knew what he was talking about in the first place,
I'm not sure how serious he ever was. I mean it was a very useful rhetorical device which played well to his supporters, and to a significant chunk of the electorate but he was never really wedded to delivering the thing. Indeed, it still being there as an as yet unbuilt potential solution to a range of problems is probably more effective than it being a colossally expensive white elephant and symbol of his ineptitude.

If he is still president in 2024, the wall will still be a tantalising prospect and he'll still be just about to "lock her up"

charging Russia with colluding with North Korea,
All parties involved know that Trump just days stuff . They'll spin it however they want for internal consumption and continue on as usual.

and oh yeah, the one-year anniversary of the biggest Inauguration crowd size in history ever, ever, ever.
Trump has moved on from this. He simply knows that the crowd was the largest and is impervious to any facts to the contrary.

This is going to take some serious distraction. Firing Mueller and firing a nuke at the same time probably seems like a good idea.
I disagree, I foresee more of the current continual muddying of the waters.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2018, 04:08 AM   #40
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I think you're mistaking "I don't care" for "people don't care". Yeah, he's getting sympathy... from people who already support him, if reluctantly, like, well,.... YOU.
Exactly, calling someone racist for merely expressing dislike and contempt for blacks is the kind of thing that earns sympathy in much of the country.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics