ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Florida incidents , school incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Closed Thread
Old 14th February 2018, 01:13 PM   #1
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

School shooting Florida

Shooting at Florida school - reports - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43066226

Hopefully initial reports are wrong and there won't be fatalities.
Old 14th February 2018, 01:18 PM   #2
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Maybe 10 miles from my house.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 01:32 PM   #3
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Latest: Shooter still active, not yet apprehended. Between 5 and 25 injured, possibly deaths. Shooter wearing gas mask and with a long gun. Nothing really confirmed as it's early and ongoing.
Old 14th February 2018, 01:54 PM   #4
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Broward County Fire & Rescue saying at least 20 injured. A different report says at least 3 dead. Shooter still at large. None of that is confirmed.
Old 14th February 2018, 02:20 PM   #5
foophil
Graduate Poster

Shooter has been apprehended. He/she was a suspected former student per ABC news report I'm watching.
foophil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 02:33 PM   #6
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Police describe the shooter as a student and also a member of the US Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps program. Not confirmed.
Old 14th February 2018, 02:43 PM   #7
NoahFence
Banned

14 fatalities per CNN
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 02:51 PM   #8
Cain
Straussian

Just another Wednesday.

Last edited by Cain; 14th February 2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: ETA: Oops, I forgot. It's Valentine's Day.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 02:52 PM   #9
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
14 fatalities per CNN
Qualified -- "victims", not necessarily deaths.
Old 14th February 2018, 02:55 PM   #10
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Request split to the "Today's mass shooting" thread?

'kin hell.
Old 14th February 2018, 02:55 PM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN says at least 2 killed and at least 14 are at hospitals.
Old 14th February 2018, 03:09 PM   #12
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Request split to the "Today's mass shooting" thread?

'kin hell.
What was yesterday's?
Old 14th February 2018, 03:13 PM   #13
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Just another Wednesday.
39 mass shootings (4+ victims) in the US up to Feb 12, so just under one per day. Just another Wednesday indeed. Of course this one gets more publicity because of the number of victims. Has to be in double figures to make the national news.
Old 14th February 2018, 03:56 PM   #14
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN: The suspect had attended the school but was not a current student.
Old 14th February 2018, 04:11 PM   #15
crescent
Master Poster

ABCNews now reporting 15 dead "confirmed".

Other reports say 2 dead and 14 "victims" taken to hospitals.

I'm hoping ABC is wrong.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 04:16 PM   #16
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CBS Miami saying that up to 7 are dead.

Originally Posted by WFOR-TV
The suspect, a former student, was the subject of jokes from other kids, according to a student at the school.

A student told WFOR-TV that other students "knew it was going to be him."

"A lot of people were saying it was going to be him. A lot of kids threw jokes around saying that he was going to be the one to shoot up the school," the student said. "It turns out that everyone predicted it. That's crazy."

Seventeen-year-old junior Matthew Walker spoke to ABC News, saying the suspect was known to show off knives and guns.

"He was going class to class just shooting at random kids," he said. "Everything he posts (on social media) is about weapons. It's sick."
Shooter is Nicolas de Jesus Cruz, 19 years old.

I wouldn't consider anything confirmed yet.
Old 14th February 2018, 04:19 PM   #17
NoahFence
Banned

Oh goodie!
We can blame illegal immigrants!
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 04:23 PM   #18
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Another sad loser nonentity shoots dead 15 (?) and maims fifty college students and teachers - his superiors in every way, intellectually, physically, emotionally - and now he is going to relish his new found fame.

Last edited by Vixen; 14th February 2018 at 04:25 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 04:25 PM   #19
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

CNN says 16 dead.
Old 14th February 2018, 04:27 PM   #20
Travis

Countdown to someone misidentifying the gun used and that causing a five page derail......5.....4.....3....
Old 14th February 2018, 04:29 PM   #21
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

BBC says '17'.
Old 14th February 2018, 04:33 PM   #22
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Sheriff says 17 dead.
Old 14th February 2018, 04:38 PM   #23
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I saw helicopter footage of the handcuffed shooter. Seems to have a leg or foot injury. Reports say he was captured in the community near the school.
Old 14th February 2018, 04:41 PM   #24
BrooklynBaby
Muse

Let me guess -- with the full knowledge that bad guys won't follow the rules, good guys at this school are not allowed to carry guns. This creates a risk-free killing zone for anyone who wants to come in and shoot people until they run out of ammo.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 05:02 PM   #25
Travis

How long until that "crisis actor" brunette shows up in photos?

The dregs of the political talk-o-sphere are saying this was a MS13 member out to "kill whitey".
Old 14th February 2018, 05:04 PM   #26
Cain
Straussian

School shootings such as this, while tragic and preventable, are the price of freedom. And freedom ain't free. Sometimes it's paid in the blood of teenagers. Thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by Cain; 14th February 2018 at 05:06 PM.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 05:06 PM   #27
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
How long until that "crisis actor" brunette shows up in photos?

The dregs of the political talk-o-sphere are saying this was a MS13 member out to "kill whitey".
People are so weird when they just make stuff up.
Old 14th February 2018, 05:33 PM   #28
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Let me guess -- with the full knowledge that bad guys won't follow the rules, good guys at this school are not allowed to carry guns. This creates a risk-free killing zone for anyone who wants to come in and shoot people until they run out of ammo.
School shootings such as this, while tragic and preventable, are the price of freedom. And freedom ain't free. Sometimes it's paid in the blood of teenagers. Thoughts and prayers.
“The creatures outside looked from serious to satire, and from satire to serious, and from serious to satire again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 05:56 PM   #29
Ranb
Philosopher

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/14/us/fl...ing/index.html
Quote:
The suspect, 19-year-old former student Nikolaus Cruz, is in custody, the sheriff said. The sheriff said he was expelled for unspecified disciplinary reasons. Police are investigating his digital profile, he said. So far, what they've found is "very, very disturbing,"
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 06:29 PM   #30
sadhatter
Philosopher

Has to be fake, I'm always told it is only white males who do this kind of spree killing.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 06:29 PM   #31
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

You can see his crazy Facebook stuff and more here...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-shooting.html
Old 14th February 2018, 07:04 PM   #32
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Has to be fake, I'm always told it is only white males who do this kind of spree killing.
Have you seen a photo of him?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 07:06 PM   #33
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's obvious what the problem here was: the school was a "gun-free zone". The solution is to allow all students to carry concealed handguns. An armed school is a polite school.
Old 14th February 2018, 07:27 PM   #34
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
I think it's obvious what the problem here was: the school was a "gun-free zone". The solution is to allow all students to carry concealed handguns. An armed school is a polite school.
Allow? Require all students over the age of six to carry a full-auto M-4; and the teachers to have an M-249 SAW. It's the only way to be sure.
Kindergartners, of course, will be restricted to a Glock with a 20-round magazine.
Old 14th February 2018, 08:05 PM   #35
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Just popping this in here for reference: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

[ETA] Would you believe... There have been another two (2) gun deaths in the USA since this particular incident concluded.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 14th February 2018 at 08:20 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 08:22 PM   #36
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Allow? Require all students over the age of six to carry a full-auto M-4; and the teachers to have an M-249 SAW. It's the only way to be sure.
Kindergartners, of course, will be restricted to a Glock with a 20-round magazine.
Do not make this mass shooting about guns people! It has absolutely nothing to do with guns! Or swimming pools! So don't even go there ...
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 08:53 PM   #37
crescent
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Do not make this mass shooting about guns people! It has absolutely nothing to do with guns! Or swimming pools! So don't even go there ...
He totally could have killed just as many people by smothering them with pillows, if he really wanted to.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 09:02 PM   #38
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Maybe 10 miles from my house.
Then you are near relatives of mine - but none have kids/kids old enough to be in that school. I had suspected that was where you were!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th February 2018, 09:05 PM   #39
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I think that it's mental illness or insanity. These mass and spree killers seem to be insane people. I want to say they are "loose" like a dangerous animal outside of a cage and living amongst normal people.

Guns have always been common and easy to get in America. Always. But something has changed here in my lifetime. It wasn't like this before. We have so many shootings now and we have these mass shootings and school shootings with some regularity. It wasn't like this before.

It's as if people want to kill and do kill with much greater prevalence here now. There is too much of this mental sickness in America. I don't like what I have seen happen to my country. It seems to have become infested with killers and I don't know how or why it happened.
Old 14th February 2018, 09:06 PM   #40
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Actually a Streetsweeper (fast fire shotgun) is great for defense against terminal orifices. https://www.gunsamerica.com/95721259...et-Sweeper.htm
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events