ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Florida incidents , school incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Closed Thread
Old 14th February 2018, 10:35 PM   #41
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
You can see his crazy Facebook stuff and more here...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-shooting.html
He posted a pic of what looks like an Airsoft pistol (orange tipped), just like a ton of wannabe gangsters that people laugh at. Too familiar.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 12:10 AM   #42
Cain
Straussian

"About a year ago I saw him upset in the morning," student Brent Black told ABC News. "And I was like, 'yo what’s wrong with you?' And he was like 'umm, don’t know.' And I was like 'what’s up with you?' He's like 'I swear to God I'll shoot up this school.'"

A young man who keeps his promises. Also, smart move with the fire alarm. I don't think I've seen that before. Obviously this school needs a security guard named "Kevin" getting paid $16/hour and is hot **** on Call of Duty.
Old 15th February 2018, 02:24 AM   #43
erlando
Graduate Poster

And yet again the price of freedom goes up. But it's ok. It's only high school teens. They should be proud to die so others can keep their guns.
Old 15th February 2018, 02:49 AM   #44
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

This one seems unusual in that the shooter is still alive. What happens next?
Old 15th February 2018, 02:58 AM   #45
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Hopefully a competent mental health exam and appropriate treatment. Possibly in a small, padded cell.
Old 15th February 2018, 03:09 AM   #46
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

...... It seems to have become infested with killers and I don't know how or why it happened.
Then you're not paying attention.

Why does this only happen in America? Could it be that every other country which has acts of violence reacts by reducing the availability of weapons, and that that works? It seems insane to not even give it a try when you have slaughter on the scale happening in America.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 03:11 AM   #47
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
“The creatures outside looked from serious to satire, and from satire to serious, and from serious to satire again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”
Sadly true.
Old 15th February 2018, 03:14 AM   #48
smartcooky
Philosopher

smartcooky has a birthday
Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Do not make this mass shooting about guns people! It has absolutely nothing to do with guns! Or swimming pools! So don't even go there ...

...because the killer did his killing with twinkies
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 03:15 AM   #49
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
He gets a visit from Jack Ruby.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 03:21 AM   #50
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post

Why does this only happen in America? Could it be that every other country which has acts of violence reacts by reducing the availability of weapons, and that that works? It seems insane to not even give it a try when you have slaughter on the scale happening in America.

I believe the massive inequalities in the USA and the lack of any class mobility are a strong driver for events like this. What future has this young man lost by going mental like this? What were his incentives to strive to be a taxpaying citizen rather than a school shooting lunatic?

I'm guessing, just from the fact that he was expelled, that this young man's future was all but proscribed for him and he looked at it and thought '**** it, where's my rifle'
Old 15th February 2018, 03:30 AM   #51
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
I'm guessing, just from the fact that he was expelled, that this young man's future was all but proscribed for him and he looked at it and thought '**** it, where's my rifle'
I believe that a big part of the problem was that the answer was "Ah, right here!"

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 03:35 AM   #52
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
I believe that a big part of the problem was that the answer was "Ah, right here!"

Dave

Part of it. The availability of a firearm meant that rather than going mental in a local news type way, he's gone mental in an international news type way.

Given that there's no real discussion to be had over the firearm situation in the US, I think a more productive dialogue might be to speculate over the reasons a human being gets out of bed and decides to end as many lives as possible one morning.
Old 15th February 2018, 03:38 AM   #53
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

There is nothing that can be done to stop the mass shootings. Just learn to cope, it is part of living in the USA.

There have been loads of school shootings before and when kids mass shoot other kids and that is not enough to galvanise a country to act, nothing will.
Old 15th February 2018, 03:40 AM   #54
baron
Philosopher

Apparently there have been 18 US school shootings already this year, eight of them with fatalities and with a total of 35 deaths. Quite incredible when in the UK I believe we've only had one school shooting in recorded history, and that was in 1996. I might be wrong on this, but a quick check seems to suggest that outside of war zones, the US has the worst record for school shootings of any country in the world.
Old 15th February 2018, 03:41 AM   #55
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Part of it. The availability of a firearm meant that rather than going mental in a local news type way, he's gone mental in an international news type way.

Given that there's no real discussion to be had over the firearm situation in the US, I think a more productive dialogue might be to speculate over the reasons a human being gets out of bed and decides to end as many lives as possible one morning.
The expectation that you can solve all your problems with a single simple solution that involves violence. Just like John Wayne did.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 03:43 AM   #56
baron
Philosopher

Immaturity. Immaturity + guns = this.
Old 15th February 2018, 03:44 AM   #57
calebprime
moleman

When I was a young teen I had an older friend who was a highschool dropout with a bit of a drug problem. He had some powerful resentments against various authority figures like high school principles. We used to sit around and ******** about his revenge. It was all talk, it was like Alice Cooper's School's Out. His concealed weapon? A can-opener.

All that seems charmingly innocent now -- the beer and quaaludes, the band.

Times have changed

-------------------

It seems you don't have to be psychotic to go on killer rampages these days.
calebprime is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 03:49 AM   #58
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

It is ingrained and part of the US culture that an unhappy youth is enabled to easily get a gun and go and kill in a school.

Lots of other kids have already shot up their school, without the country bothering to take any genuine preventative action.

When an entire country rolls over and accepts school shootings, it should not then wonder why there are more school shootings. It is part of the American psyche to accept mass shootings, even when kids do it to other kids in schools.

The mass school shootings in Germany (6 of them, the first was in 1913) and Finland (3 from 1989 to 2008) galvanised the entire country to act and there was an acceptance some would have to have their activities restricted for the benefit of the whole. The same happened in the UK and that was after only one school mass shooting. Americans do not think one person should suffer restricted rights, even if it is for the benefit of millions of children.
Old 15th February 2018, 03:50 AM   #59
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Oh, just to add perspective: 17 dead in this killing, only 13 dead at Columbine...and that scored a feature-length documentary.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 03:54 AM   #60
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The expectation that you can solve all your problems with a single simple solution that involves violence. Just like John Wayne did.

But what problems? You've described the end point, how does a 19 year old get to the point where he has so many problems he has to solve them all at once at many feet per second?

This man is 19 and has decided that the biggest impact he can make on the world is to end as many lives as possible, solving, as you say, all his problems John Wayne style. My question is why?

What does it say about his view of his prospects for the rest of his life in the land of the free and the home of the brave where anyone can grow up to be president if he thought his best option was to go out in blaze of glory at the age of 19?

Last edited by 3point14; 15th February 2018 at 03:55 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 04:01 AM   #61
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

But what problems? You've described the end point, how does a 19 year old get to the point where he has so many problems he has to solve them all at once at many feet per second?

This man is 19 and has decided that the biggest impact he can make on the world is to end as many lives as possible, solving, as you say, all his problems John Wayne style. My question is why?

What does it say about his view of his prospects for the rest of his life in the land of the free and the home of the brave where anyone can grow up to be president if he thought his best option was to go out in blaze of glory at the age of 19?
I'm absolutely certain that you know this, but the position of most people in other parts of the world is that you address mental health issues while at the same time put in place policies which keep deadly firearms highly restricted.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 04:05 AM   #62
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I'm absolutely certain that you know this, but the position of most people in other parts of the world is that you address mental health issues while at the same time put in place policies which keep deadly firearms highly restricted.
Amen. How did America let it get into the state where a teenager with mental health problems can get hold of a semi-automatic rifle? It's a good job he didn't have a bump stock too.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 04:09 AM   #63
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by lionking View Post

In the US, it seems neither of these are being done to great effect. Given that the latter is utterly impossible, I would think that focusing on the former might have some benefit - accepting that what we achieve here by our discussions tends towards zero. (but at least I learn stuff)

EDIT: Is it confirmed that he had mental health problems? I haven't seen that bit yet.

Last edited by 3point14; 15th February 2018 at 04:15 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 04:15 AM   #64
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The American tradition of an unhappy pupil to school, college or university with a gun and shooting goes back to the 12th November 1840.

By 1867 there were now multiple annual shootings, with three that year. The first mass shooting (four or more dead) was in 1893 with four dead. That record was broken in 1898 with 6 dead.

After 1903 it is rare to have had no school shootings in a year (1921 was one) and 1945 is the last time a year went by with no school shoots at all.

In 1966 the first large scale mass shooting took place, at the University of Texas, with 17 dead and 31 injured. The first large scale school pupil on school pupil shooting was in 1999 at Columbine with 15 dead and 21 injured.

In 2012, 28 primary school children were shot dead. The American reaction, taking the nation as a whole, well it was to spend as much time claiming it was faked as spend time on constructive action to prevent any more shootings.

With that the USA had clearly surrendered itself to repeated school shootings and nothing is off limits.

So as to preserve gun culture in the USA, nothing has happened to stop the historic rise of school shootings, such that they are now an accepted part of life.

Get used to it. Claim the Florida shooting is a black ops and spend hours pretending it is a fake. That is one way to cope with the deaths.
Old 15th February 2018, 04:23 AM   #65
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I think that it's mental illness or insanity. These mass and spree killers seem to be insane people. I want to say they are "loose" like a dangerous animal outside of a cage and living amongst normal people.

Guns have always been common and easy to get in America. Always. But something has changed here in my lifetime. It wasn't like this before. We have so many shootings now and we have these mass shootings and school shootings with some regularity. It wasn't like this before.

It's as if people want to kill and do kill with much greater prevalence here now. There is too much of this mental sickness in America. I don't like what I have seen happen to my country. It seems to have become infested with killers and I don't know how or why it happened.

We have plenty of mental illness in Europe, but hey! Number of school shootings for the year to date: ZERO.
Old 15th February 2018, 04:25 AM   #66
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
We have plenty of mental illness in Europe, but hey! Number of school shootings for the year to date: ZERO.
As a general rule, there's greater social mobility in Europe.
Old 15th February 2018, 04:26 AM   #67
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

There is one coping strategy, which was developed regarding Sandy Hook. Its all OK, this shooting is faked;

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/14/u...ing/index.html

with actors and it is part of a black ops. Alex Jones is right, these shootings are faked, look at Sandy Hook, faked, no children died, it is all OK;

http://www.newsweek.com/alex-jones-m...nfowars-627129

There is nothing to worry about, cope with the school shootings, nothing needs to be done about them, because they are faked.
Old 15th February 2018, 04:30 AM   #68
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Just popping this in here for reference: http://www.gunviolencearchive.org/

[ETA] Would you believe... There have been another two (2) gun deaths in the USA since this particular incident concluded.
Seems low, probably more that are not yet reported.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 04:33 AM   #69
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Because it is this kind of go get them spirit that makes america great!

We might not be the best in things like science, education, health but killing that is what america is best at. So we go with our strengths.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 04:41 AM   #70
Wolrab
Illuminator

Back when I was I high school in the late 70's early 80's we brought gu s to school for Hunter safety classes. There were also many filled gun racks in the parking lot at all times.

I am about 30 miles east of Rochester, NY. We had fights in school that ended when somebody was down with no serious injuries. We had larger fights on rare occasions with rival schools that ended without life threatening injuries.

Never once were guns involved and there were a lot of guns available.

I don't believe guns are the issue. Society is very sick today if children have no problem shooting up their school mates without remorse.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 04:44 AM   #71
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

US Senator Chris Murphy tells the Senate that he has found school mass shootings only happen in the USA and there are lots of them every month. He thinks something should be done about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-u...s-nowhere-else

He is the senator for Connecticut where Sandy Hook took place back in 2012. Murphy became Senator in 2013.

That is evidence NOTHING can be done and the best way to deal with the shootings is to learn to cope. Claim they are faked, shrug them off, cuddle your AR15, know the chances of your kid being shot at school is still tiny.
Old 15th February 2018, 04:49 AM   #72
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
.........I don't believe guns are the issue...........

No really. This is just someone taking Cain's job, isn't it? Silly me. I'm not good at spotting Poe.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 05:04 AM   #73
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by baron View Post
I might be wrong on this, but a quick check seems to suggest that outside of war zones, the US has the worst record for school shootings of any country in the world.
I have not really followed any of the "gun" threads and don't know that much about this, but what Baron says sounds very likely.
Guns and their availability are obviously part of the problem but I don't think they can explain such high figures.
It seems as if there are more kids in the US that want to go on killing sprees at school than in other countries, is this true? If so, why would that possibly be the case?

Last edited by Cheetah; 15th February 2018 at 05:06 AM.
Cheetah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 05:05 AM   #74
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I don't believe guns are the issue. Society is very sick today if children have no problem shooting up their school mates without remorse.
The ease at which children can get guns and tons of ammo is the issue. No other country in the world has a situation where kids with murderous intent have such easy access to guns. The USA is sick in that it cannot galvanise society to act together and for some to make sacrifices regarding guns, which is what is required to reduce the instance of mass shooting.

The guns and the kids and society is the issue. To ignore one part is one of the multiple reasons why the USA cannot ever stop this situation.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:07 AM   #75
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
I have not really followed any of the "gun" threads and don't know that much about this, but what Baron says sounds very likely.
Guns and their availability are obviously part of the problem but I don't think they can explain such high figures?
It seems as if there are more kids in the US that want to go on killing sprees at school than in other countries, is this true? If so, why would that possibly be the case?
Its because they can. No other country has a lack of control such that kids can easily get guns and tons of ammo. The kids of the UK can have all the murderous intent they want, but they cannot get the guns.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:10 AM   #76
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
.......It seems as if there are more kids in the US that want to go on killing sprees at school than in other countries, is this true? If so, why would that possibly be the case?
Because of the history....nay tradition..........of kids doing this, as outlined previously. It's become part of the culture, and has been for nearly a century. Obviously, the inertia in America is such that few believe that anything can be done about this culture. What is unbelievable isn't that people think that nothing can be done, but that people think nothing should be done. That's unforgivable.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:13 AM   #77
Wolrab
Illuminator

If guns are the issue, why didn't we have this problem 40 years ago? Guns were just as available then.
Guns were the same back then but they weren't used to kill classmates.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 05:15 AM   #78
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Has Trump stuck his oar in yet? He's fast enough to demand action when an immigrant steps out of line. No doubt he'll send thoughts and prayers, which will, of course, solve the problem instantly.

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
Ian Osborne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 05:15 AM   #79
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

What is it with the idea that we can talk about "the" issue.

There are lots of issues. Yes, society is sick. It is possible for people to drift through life with little or no connection to the human beings around us. That's sick. Oh, and by the way, while we are floating around with no connection to each other, it's really easy to buy lots of guns and ammo.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 05:16 AM   #80
Ian Osborne
JREF Kid
Tagger

Because of the history....nay tradition..........of kids doing this, as outlined previously. It's become part of the culture, and has been for nearly a century. Obviously, the inertia in America is such that few believe that anything can be done about this culture. What is unbelievable isn't that people think that nothing can be done, but that people think nothing should be done. That's unforgivable.
Whether guns were a problem 40 years ago is moot. The point is they're a problem NOW, and until America faces up to that, there will be more school shootings.

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events