ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Florida incidents , school incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Closed Thread
Old 15th February 2018, 05:02 PM   #241
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I don't even agree with your first point. There are many instances of fully sane, rational people killing multiple times. You can't automatically declare them insane if that word is to retain its intended meaning.
I disagree ... level headed, sane people do not do this kind of thing, its simple as that.
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 05:08 PM   #242
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I love that they are showing that picture of him in the MAGA hat over and over again.

I guess The_Donald and other places were wrong, wrong, wrong that he would turn out to be a Hillary voting illegal.
I could hear the internet-wide building climax of smug yesterday evening after his last name was revealed. Nothing but crickets today. And the occasional Russian bot still claiming he's a registered Dem anti-fascist.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 05:09 PM   #243
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I wonder if he had to explain his last name to the white supremacists. Cruz. Hey, isn't that a Mexican or Latino name? Yeah man, but here's the story behind it....
There was, he was adopted.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:11 PM   #244
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
False. FBI was distracted. They should have been investigating this kid instead of the President. No collusion.
Well there you go, it wasn't because no one reported Cruz.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:18 PM   #245
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A number of messed up Hispanics trying to join White Supremist Groups use the "Pure Castillian Blood" routine.

Next he will be be claiming he is a direct descendent of El Cid.....
I suppose that "Castilian" is meant to demonstrate "purity of blood" without Jewish or Moorish admixture, as was required in Spain for high office in State or Church. But why "Castilian"? Will Basque or Aragonese not do equally well?

There were, it is true, Jews and Moors in Aragon after they had been expelled from Castile, but after the expulsion of the Jews in 1492 and of the Moors in 1609 from the whole of Spain, I suppose all Spanish blood was equally "clean" by KKK standards.
Craig B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 05:23 PM   #246
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
There was, he was adopted.
LOL. I was the one who announced that in this thread!
Old 15th February 2018, 05:25 PM   #247
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Ah yes of course, that makes sense - except for the fact that I can't come up with an example of another white supremacist group in America doing that in the aftermath of any other school/mass shooting, which suggests it would be relatively unprecedented for it to suddenly start happening now.
There wasn't a white supremacist shooter to claim before.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 05:29 PM   #248
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The FBI is saying that they could not locate the person who posted about wanting to be a professional school shooter. They are not saying that they knew who made the post but couldn't find him - they are saying that they couldn't identify who had actually posted it.

Additionally they said that they had no records of any issues concerning a person of that name.

Last edited by William Parcher; 15th February 2018 at 05:31 PM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 05:30 PM   #249
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I love that they are showing that picture of him in the MAGA hat over and over again.

I guess The_Donald and other places were wrong, wrong, wrong that he would turn out to be a Hillary voting illegal.
I heard the MS 13 crap the day this happened.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:30 PM   #250
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A number of messed up Hispanics trying to join White Supremist Groups use the "Pure Castillian Blood" routine.

Next he will be be claiming he is a direct descendent of El Cid.....
...played in film by demented gun nut Chuckie Heston.

Of course, "now is not the time to talk about guns" is being parroted over and over by Republican politicians. Jefferson Davis Sessions this morning managed to segue it into some sheriff worship.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:33 PM   #251
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't even agree with your first point. There are many instances of fully sane, rational people killing multiple times. You can't automatically declare them insane if that word is to retain its intended meaning.
Got an example?

I suppose if you take, 'has really serious anger management issues' out of the insane column you might have a case.

I keep it in the insane column myself when it is so extreme it leads to acting out like this.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:37 PM   #252
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
So you're saying that this individual - a suspected MS-13 member who came to this country through chain migration according to unnamed sources1 - wore a MAGA hat in order to falsely smear Trump supporters? This goes deeper that I might have expected.

1. Some dude on reddit.
I don't doubt they are already linking it to Soros somehow.

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I could hear the internet-wide building climax of smug yesterday evening after his last name was revealed. Nothing but crickets today. And the occasional Russian bot still claiming he's a registered Dem anti-fascist.
I heard the MS 13 crap the day this happened.
ANTIFA was the boogeyman of last year. Since Trump is still a corrupt idiot they will constantly need new boogeymen. MS-13 is a great candidate to be on every right wing nutjob's tongue for the foreseeable future.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:38 PM   #253
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The FBI is saying that they could not locate the person who posted about wanting to be a professional school shooter. They are not saying that they knew who made the post but couldn't find him - they are saying that they couldn't identify who had actually posted it.

Additionally they said that they had no records of any issues concerning a person of that name.
Which leads to a couple other lines of inquiry, did Twitter not cooperate, sharing the account name? Did the FBI not seek a warrant? And what other social media threats are they ignoring because they can't get a warrant or didn't bother given thousands of similar threats are probably a common thing that can be found on social media? And, why did they not at least put the name in a data base in case more came up about the guy?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th February 2018 at 05:40 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 05:52 PM   #254
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

did Twitter not cooperate, sharing the account name?
It may have been YouTube. I'm not sure.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:54 PM   #255
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
...Of course, "now is not the time to talk about guns" is being parroted over and over by Republican politicians. Jefferson Davis Sessions this morning managed to segue it into some sheriff worship.
Samantha Bee - Full Frontal last night had that one covered. Skip ahead to 3:40. Start at minute 5 if you are pressed for time. The irony sucks today. (caution language)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Sessions is all for the legislation promoting The F.B.I.’s Dangerous Crackdown on ‘Black Identity Extremists’ Now those dangerous gun toters need to be stopped.
Old 15th February 2018, 05:56 PM   #256
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It may have been YouTube. I'm not sure.
Same argument though.

I want the privacy protections but I would like to see some kind of legislation making it so people making certain threats can be outed.
Old 15th February 2018, 06:04 PM   #257
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I want the privacy protections but I would like to see some kind of legislation making it so people making certain threats can be outed.
How about the FBI hacking into cellphones when they don't have the password? Should the phone manufacturers cooperate and open that door for law enforcement?

Quick answer so it isn't a derail.
Old 15th February 2018, 06:04 PM   #258
JeanFromBNA
Critical Thinker

Same argument though.

Does anyone in the U.S. have a reasonable expectation of privacy when they post threats on social media? I wouldn't think so. Or are you thinking of other ways of making threats?
JeanFromBNA is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 06:15 PM   #259
Civet
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
...played in film by demented gun nut Chuckie Heston.

Of course, "now is not the time to talk about guns" is being parroted over and over by Republican politicians. Jefferson Davis Sessions this morning managed to segue it into some sheriff worship.
Thing is, multi-victim shooting are so frequent here that it is quite simply never the time to have that talk if we have to wait for some cooling off period.
Civet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 06:21 PM   #260
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

His public defense attorneys are setting the stage...

Originally Posted by Washington Post
His attorneys did not specifically say Thursday that he had confessed to the shooting, nor did they explicitly deny his involvement, describing him as a “broken young man “ who is “very saddened” by what happened.

“This is an emotionally broken young man,” Gordon Weekes, the public defender, told reporters, adding that Cruz was on suicide watch. “He has been through a lot of trauma. He has suffered significant mental illness, and significant mental trauma.”
Old 15th February 2018, 06:34 PM   #261
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Exactly what kind of mental illness are talking about here?
Old 15th February 2018, 06:43 PM   #262
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
I disagree ... level headed, sane people do not do this kind of thing, its simple as that.
But under American law, that isn't the definition of "sanity" needed to mount an insanity defense. To be judged insane, you have to be unable to distinguish right and wrong
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 06:48 PM   #263
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Got an example?

I suppose if you take, 'has really serious anger management issues' out of the insane column you might have a case.

I keep it in the insane column myself when it is so extreme it leads to acting out like this.
There are plenty of articles like this:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-evil-geniuses

Quote:
Psychopathic serial killers such as Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy and Dennis Rader (BTK) are entirely aware of the illegality of murder while they are in the process of killing their victims. Their understanding of right and wrong does nothing to impede their crimes, however, because psychopaths such as Bundy, Gacy and Rader have an overwhelming desire and compulsion to kill that causes them to ignore the criminal law with impunity.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by zooterkin; 16th February 2018 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Fix quote tags
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 06:49 PM   #264
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

So not crazy as a legal defense.

Last edited by Agatha; 16th February 2018 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Fix quote tags
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 07:00 PM   #265
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Sorry for stuffing up the quotes. These words are SG's not mine:

Quote:
I will ask it be fixed.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 07:07 PM   #266
Ron Swanson
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
But under American law, that isn't the definition of "sanity" needed to mount an insanity defense. To be judged insane, you have to be unable to distinguish right and wrong
Quite right and we agree ... As I metnioend IMO he should stand trial as it is already been stated he feels sad .. so he KNEW it was wrong .. so he is not insane enough o get out of a trial.

But he's still crazy as a loon in my opinion, insane! ... just about levels.
Ron Swanson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 07:07 PM   #267
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

How about the FBI hacking into cellphones when they don't have the password? Should the phone manufacturers cooperate and open that door for law enforcement?

Quick answer so it isn't a derail.
There is no quick answer, there are risks and benefits. I don't like the dichotomy. I'd like a third option where warrants are involved and the information is released rather than a USAPATRIOT Act military state, free to roam around in our data willy-nilly, solution. The FBI has proven themselves untrustworthy when they investigated war protestors and currently with their obsession with "Black Identity Extremists".
Old 15th February 2018, 07:10 PM   #268
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by JeanFromBNA View Post
Does anyone in the U.S. have a reasonable expectation of privacy when they post threats on social media? I wouldn't think so. Or are you thinking of other ways of making threats?
I'm not following your point here. Maybe if you re-read my post.
Old 15th February 2018, 07:11 PM   #269
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Civet View Post
Thing is, multi-victim shooting are so frequent here that it is quite simply never the time to have that talk if we have to wait for some cooling off period.
Sadly, that NRA talking point has gotten too old to be meaningful any longer. Sadly as in we've had that many mass shootings.
Old 15th February 2018, 07:16 PM   #270
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SG

Here's the exchange:
Originally Posted by Yeggster
Yes my opinion is NO sane person kills 17 defenceless person ...

Now if you mean "legally insane" as far as answering in court ... NO I agree with you there ... it's all about levels of insanity.
Originally Posted by LK
I don't even agree with your first point.
So did you miss his second part where he noted the difference in the legal definition vs a psych definition? Because your link is all about legal insanity.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th February 2018 at 07:17 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 07:36 PM   #271
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Here's the exchange:
So did you miss his second part where he noted the difference in the legal definition vs a psych definition? Because your link is all about legal insanity.
That's not correct. What I quoted was a psychological definition.

Quote:
The fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), released by the APA in 2013, lists both sociopathy and psychopathy under the heading of Antisocial Personality Disorders (ASPD).
ASPDs do not constitute insanity as defined by psychological authorities. I am not talking about legal definitions.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 15th February 2018, 07:54 PM   #272
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
There wasn't a white supremacist shooter to claim before.
You sure about that?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 07:55 PM   #273
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

In their rush to pin the shooting on The Left it seems Gateway Pundit doxxed a totally innocent person then deleted their article.

http://archive.is/g4SKM

Interestingly they misspelled "Florida" in both their doxxing article and in their follow up where they blame "other sources" for the mistake.
Old 15th February 2018, 07:55 PM   #274
MrFliop
Thinker

I hate this gun control debate because you can never be on the right side. If you do not mention or speak out(even a little) against gun control you are a TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING and disrespecting those who died and if you are a white male you are worse than the shooter himself. However to the other side if you even speak out a little in favor of some gun control you are again a TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING trampling on the rights of millions of free gun owning Americans and are literally a fascist for supporting such a move. Oh yeah and the shooting was probably a hoax meaning that your also defending a murdering lying government YOU SHILL.

So no matter what you say or do your still a horrible human being who never should have been born. So I won't say anything about this and I'll go isolate. myself from the outside world until this whole thing is forgotten in about 2 weeks. See ya, bye!

Last edited by MrFliop; 15th February 2018 at 07:57 PM.
MrFliop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 08:03 PM   #275
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That's not correct. What I quoted was a psychological definition.

ASPDs do not constitute insanity as defined by psychological authorities. I am not talking about legal definitions.
You have to search for the right terms:

Intermittent Explosive Disorder DSM-5 312.34 (F63.81)
Quote:
The DSM-5 defines intermittent explosive disorder as “recurrent behavioral outbursts representing a failure to control aggressive impulses.” (American Psychiatric Association, 2013). Intermittent explosive disorder, which can be diagnosed in children as young as six, is characterized by a wide variety of aggressive outbursts. Intermittent explosive disorder is extremely common, as more than half of youth and young adults have experienced at least one angry outburst.
I think you'll find the rest of the article worth reading.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th February 2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 15th February 2018, 08:12 PM   #276
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Sorry for stuffing up the quotes. These words are SG's not mine:

I will ask it be fixed.

You were well inside the edit window when you posted that. In fact you're still inside the edit window and have plenty time to fix it yourself.
Old 15th February 2018, 08:14 PM   #277
caveman1917
Philosopher

Funny how the gun used for the shooting is a "constitutional right" but the healthcare for the survivors isn't.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 08:19 PM   #278
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Wayward son View Post
Breivik's 77 victims were also almost entirely white too. White supremacists don't just hate non-white people. They really, really, really hate the vast majority of white people (race traitors) who are perfectly content allowing their white society to be polluted by the influx of others.
Breivik's victims were social-democrats. They weren't shot because they were in the "vast majority of white people" but because neo-nazis like to shoot up anti-capitalist leftists.

Ugh, liberals...
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 08:19 PM   #279
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Funny how the gun used for the shooting is a "constitutional right" but the healthcare for the survivors isn't.
Not sure how that is funny, but I think anyone reading your post has already come to the conclusion that the 2nd amendment is part of the Constitution.

I am certain also that people are also familiar with National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius holding
Old 15th February 2018, 08:36 PM   #280
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
GoFundMe is the new constitutional right and so the hospital bills for the injured will get paid.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events