ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Florida incidents , school incidents , school shootings , shooting incidents

Closed Thread
Old 15th February 2018, 08:37 PM   #281
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Not sure how that is funny
Because where I'm from it's the other way around. Either way, it shows some interesting priorities, doesn't it?
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 08:41 PM   #282
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
You sure about that?
At a school? That advocated white supremacist views? I'm trying to recall but I'm getting mostly young adults when I think of that.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 08:42 PM   #283
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Breivik's victims were social-democrats. They weren't shot because they were in the "vast majority of white people" but because neo-nazis like to shoot up anti-capitalist leftists.

Ugh, liberals...
Jim Adkisson had similar motivations for his mass shooting in Knoxville about ten years ago. He shot up a Unitarian-Universalist church during a children's play because it was "full of liberals and Democrats".
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 08:51 PM   #284
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Funny how the gun used for the shooting is a "constitutional right" but the healthcare for the survivors isn't.
Welcome to America, 2018. A nation on the verge of going full deplorable.
Old 15th February 2018, 08:51 PM   #285
Checkmite

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
At a school? That advocated white supremacist views? I'm trying to recall but I'm getting mostly young adults when I think of that.
The guy who shot up his community college in Oregon a few years back had white-supremacist leanings as well, although as in this case they didn't seem to motivate the shooting specifically. But no groups rushed forward to claim him.

I'm curious why the artificial constraint to shootings only at schools? There have been numerous mass-shootings caused by adult white supremacists that didn't happen at schools which white-supremacist groups could just as easily have exploited for publicity but have not.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 08:51 PM   #286
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

The guy who made those claims that the shooter is a member of his white supremacist gang has been walking them back all afternoon.

Might be a hoax
Old 15th February 2018, 09:00 PM   #287
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Always has been.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 09:15 PM   #288
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The guy who shot up his community college in Oregon a few years back had white-supremacist leanings as well, although as in this case they didn't seem to motivate the shooting specifically. But no groups rushed forward to claim him.

I'm curious why the artificial constraint to shootings only at schools? There have been numerous mass-shootings caused by adult white supremacists that didn't happen at schools which white-supremacist groups could just as easily have exploited for publicity but have not.
Probably the reason you don't see it is because they are in reach of US law. You would have to be really dumb to publicly link yourself truthfully or falsely.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 09:15 PM   #289
Checkmite

Going back specifically to school shootings, there was also this fellow from two months ago, again along the same ideological lines.
Old 15th February 2018, 09:17 PM   #290
Checkmite

Probably the reason you don't see it is because they are in reach of US law. You would have to be really dumb to publicly link yourself truthfully or falsely.
Exactly; so it would actually make little sense that the "white militia" leader admitting ties to yesterday's school shooter is doing it to create publicity for his group, as opposed to simply answering questions from journalists and law enforcement about his association.
Old 15th February 2018, 09:19 PM   #291
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly; so it would actually make little sense that the "white militia" leader admitting ties to yesterday's school shooter is doing it to create publicity for his group, as opposed to simply answering questions from journalists and law enforcement about his association.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b004fc3190630c
Old 15th February 2018, 09:21 PM   #292
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I disagree. The fact it is rare means it is both rare to lie and rare to tell the truth.
Old 15th February 2018, 09:28 PM   #293
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Almost everyone experiences suicidal and/or homicidal thoughts at some point in their lives - that doesn't make them mentally ill.
But if you can get a gun during those times, you might actually act on your temporary moods.
If we can't remove the motive, we have to reduce the opportunity - simple as that.
Old 15th February 2018, 09:36 PM   #294
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Almost everyone experiences suicidal and/or homicidal thoughts at some point in their lives - that doesn't make them mentally ill.
But if you can get a gun during those times, you might actually act on your temporary moods.
If we can't remove the motive, we have to reduce the opportunity - simple as that.
Why do we desire to reduce suicides?
Old 15th February 2018, 09:42 PM   #295
Checkmite

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Almost everyone experiences suicidal and/or homicidal thoughts at some point in their lives
I have trouble believing that. Or, you must be conflating intentional hyperbole ("I'm going to kill the next person who uses the words 'fake news'"/"If the Patriots win the Super Bowl again this year I'm just gonna kill myself") with actual suicidal and homicidal thoughts.
Old 15th February 2018, 10:03 PM   #296
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Really wish I had the time to not only participate in these debates, but read through all the posts too.

Saying that, gun culture in the U.S makes no sense to me. In Canada, very few people own a handgun legally, even fewer an assault rifle, you require special permissions to do so.

A small segment of the population (mostly located outside major cities) own hunting rifles which are used for hmmmmm.......................hunting.

If anyone bragged about their gun arsenal and the protection it provided they'd be looked upon as a "weirdo"

Gun ownership up here (unless you have a very valid reason) is looked upon as unnecessary at best and a crime at worst.
Old 15th February 2018, 10:16 PM   #297
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post
Gun ownership up here (unless you have a very valid reason) is looked upon as unnecessary at best and a crime at worst.
http://biathloncanada.ca/
So where do these people fit in on your scale of "unnecessary to criminal"? Is sport or recreation a very valid reason?
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 10:17 PM   #298
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
I disagree ... level headed, sane people do not do this kind of thing, its simple as that.
Would you then argue that political terrorists captured in the course of committing mass murder should be treated as insane, because they "do this kind of thing"?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 10:25 PM   #299
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Would you then argue that political terrorists captured in the course of committing mass murder should be treated as insane, because they "do this kind of thing"?
I think the courts got it Right by defining insane as not knowing right or wrong.
Old 15th February 2018, 10:25 PM   #300
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
So where do these people fit in on your scale of "unnecessary to criminal"? Is sport or recreation a very valid reason?
If the tiny tin-can-shooter .22's used for biathlon were the kinds of weapons people who "brag about their gun arsenal and the protection it provides" primarily owned, I have a feeling mass-casualty incidents like yesterday's would be a hell of a lot more rare.
Old 15th February 2018, 10:30 PM   #301
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

So ALEC put together the model legislation for conservatives around the country.

Do Democrats have their model bill that can go up for a vote?
Old 15th February 2018, 10:43 PM   #302
Venom
Graduate Poster

If I was dictator of the U.S. by now I would force gun owners to register their weapons and pass mental health/criminal history checks. Anyone who resists will be imprisoned for the day and given an ultimatum,...register or lose your weapon. Weapon smugglers will surely exist, but we can hand down severe punishments for illegal arms possession, thereby making it far more practical to just purchase and register your weapon.

I'd do it to show that in the end it's only cause I love my country and people don't know how good they have it until they have some perspective. It certainly wouldn't be close to the worse move in US history.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 11:00 PM   #303
mgidm86
Illuminator

Unnecessary, as in not necessary. If people want to allow it then fine, but biathlons with guns are not essential.

I own a gun and I argue here on the pro-gun side usually, mainly because most proposed gun laws are stupid. I will still argue against laws that are stupid, but I've come to decide that our gun culture is stupid as well. No offense to anyone it's just the correct word for me to use.

That's the short version. My cousin wants my gun, so he can have it. My sister thinks her right to shoot in the quarry or wherever up in Oregon is important. I can't really justify it anymore. This wasn't an overnight thing - I've thought about this a lot over the past few years.

Doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly get behind all the gun laws if they're dumb, it's just how I feel about it now in general.

I will credit commenters from other countries, both on this forum and elsewhere, for helping me see it.

To be clear, I do not think owning a gun should be a right.
Old 15th February 2018, 11:02 PM   #304
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

He was living with "another family". The gun (AR15 type or style) was his and legally owned. The family he lived with required him to have the gun securely stored within the house and it was.
Well, that's a relief! Otherwise, something bad might've happened.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 11:05 PM   #305
Ranb
Philosopher

If the tiny tin-can-shooter .22's used for biathlon were the kinds of weapons people who "brag about their gun arsenal and the protection it provides" primarily owned, I have a feeling mass-casualty incidents like yesterday's would be a hell of a lot more rare.
The 22lr cartridge used in those rifles is lethal past 200 yards. The fortner action is fairly rapid for a bolt gun. A larger capacity mag (usual if 5 rounds) can be easily built for a biathlon rifle and a scope can be used. Don't underestimate how destructive a person can be if they put their mind to it even if they are limited to something much less powerful than a 5.56 nato round fired in a semi-auto rifle.

If Cruz had waited until the student went outside, he could have picked them off with any decently accurate rifle. No need to go inside the school and bang away at close range.

Other who are willing to use vehicles, bombs and fire to kill are evidence that guns are not needed. It is the willingness to commit evil deeds and make others suffer that is the primary cause in my opinion.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 11:07 PM   #306
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Unnecessary, as in not necessary. ....
So not criminal then? Is recreational shooting a "very valid reason" to own a gun?

I'm hoping ProBonoShill will respond.
Old 15th February 2018, 11:25 PM   #307
Parsman
Muse

Ranb of course there has to be intent and purpose for people to commit these acts. Of course mental health issues come into play. But guns are used on a regular basis to kill and maim many Americans. Cars, explosives and fire much less so. So yes, you need to tackle the issues of mental health, and take more notice of people reporting bad behaviour or posting threats on social media. But don't you need to look at the ease of accessing the primary device used for these kinds of attacks? I realise it is partly a cultural thing but when these kinds of attacks have happened in other Western countries part of the solution has been to change gun control laws and the frequency of our attacks has stayed well below the rate in the USA. Here in Scotland we had Dunblane in 1996. 22 years ago. We changed our laws and some hobbyist gun shooters were inconvenienced but guess what. No mass shootings in Scotland since then. Can the USA go 22 days without one? And is that rate of mass shootings a price worth paying so some people can target shoot or go hunting?

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th February 2018, 11:49 PM   #308
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
On the verge? Sorry, America passed that line after Sandy Hook.

I've previously pointed you to the Australian legislation where, yes, sport and hunting are both valid reasons to own a gun.
Old 15th February 2018, 11:56 PM   #309
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Those people (less than .00001% of our population) would fall under "the very valid reason" category and also require strict security checks to own their guns.

Last edited by ProBonoShill; 16th February 2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: removed unnecessary snarky response
ProBonoShill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 12:07 AM   #310
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
On the verge? Sorry, America passed that line after Sandy Hook.

I've previously pointed you to the Australian legislation where, yes, sport and hunting are both valid reasons to own a gun.
I highly doubt anyone has been murdered with those guns as well.
Old 16th February 2018, 12:27 AM   #311
Jimmy9
Scholar

With freedom comes sacrifice.

Until they become conscious, they will never rebel.
Jimmy9 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 12:36 AM   #312
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jimmy9 View Post
I assume you will tell that to the parents.
Old 16th February 2018, 12:40 AM   #313
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

You know it's times like this that I wish there was an "I'm really seriously" emoji......

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 01:17 AM   #314
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

What freedom?

Seriously, what freedom are we talking about here? The freedom to live without having your kids murdered would be quite high on my list of prioritised freedoms.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 01:45 AM   #315
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Could this one have been prevented?

The FBI Was Warned About A School Shooting Threat From A YouTube User Named Nikolas Cruz In September

Quote:
Last fall, a Mississippi bail bondsman and frequent YouTube vlogger noticed an alarming comment left on one of his videos. "I'm going to be a professional school shooter," said a user named Nikolas Cruz.

The YouTuber, 36-year-old Ben Bennight, alerted the FBI, emailing a screenshot of the comment and calling the bureau's Mississippi field office. He also flagged the comment to YouTube, which removed it from the video.

Agents with the bureau's Mississippi field office got back to him "immediately," Bennight said, and conducted an in-person interview the following day, on Sept. 25.

"They came to my office the next morning and asked me if I knew anything about the person," Bennight told BuzzFeed News. "I didn't. They took a copy of the screenshot and that was the last I heard from them."
CYA time? OTOH, how many comments like that are left on youtube every day and how many are serious? Go read the article. There's a lot more in the article I would quote, but out of respect for The Rules, you know.

It seems like they started out taking the threat seriously but gave up after doing a few database searches and coming up empty. Did they contact YouTube to see if they could identify the person corresponding to the account? Unclear.
Old 16th February 2018, 02:39 AM   #316
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
The freedom to live without having your kids murdered would be quite high on my list of prioritised freedoms.
So high on mine, in fact, that I'm very happy to have sacrificed my right to own semi-automatic weapons in favour of it.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 03:00 AM   #317
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post
I highly doubt anyone has been murdered with those guns as well.
I don't think either of us could claim that with authority.
Old 16th February 2018, 03:03 AM   #318
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

A couple of random observations, apropos of nothing:

The murderer looks like Rorschach from Watchmen.

One student, David Hogg, probably has his career path set for him. He's going to be a great, serious journalist.

I saw one kid interviewed that night, then the next morning. He was wearing a different shirt the second day but instead of a t-shirt it was a white polo. I was suddenly struck that I thought he looked like Barron. I wonder if that was intentional.
Old 16th February 2018, 03:09 AM   #319
Henri McPhee
Master Poster

Teachers and lecturers in America all need to be equipped with military style machine guns, even though it is not sane government. Trump needs to act decisively, instead of all his twittering and blah-blah about the matter. There are probably lots of former aggrieved pupils who have thought secretly, and not so secretly, about burning down their old schools. These people can be dangerous killers with guns in their hands. Australia seems to have the right idea after banning guns, and murders and suicides have gone down there.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th February 2018, 03:15 AM   #320
fagin
Philosopher

Assuming attempt at humour? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events