ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheists , Lawrence Krauss , sexual misconduct charges

Old 23rd February 2018, 06:47 AM   #1
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Lawrence Krauss accused of sexual misconduct

Lawrence Krauss is the latest to be accused of sexual misconduct, the accusations going back years.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/peteraldhou...nt-allegations
Quote:
BuzzFeed News has learned that the incident with Hensley is one of many wide-ranging allegations of Kraussís inappropriate behavior over the last decade ó including groping women, ogling and making sexist jokes to undergrads, and telling an employee at Arizona State University, where he is a tenured professor, that he was going to buy her birth control so she didnít inconvenience him with maternity leave. In response to complaints, two institutions ó Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, and the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ontario ó have quietly restricted him from their campuses. Our reporting is based on official university documents, emails, and interviews with more than 50 people.

Many of his accusers have requested anonymity, fearing professional or legal retaliation from Krauss, or online abuse from men in the movement who have smeared women for speaking out about other skeptics. A few allegations about Krauss made their way onto skeptic blogs, but were quickly taken down in fear of legal action. So for years, these stories have stayed inside whisper networks in skepticism and physics.
In this case, it seems to be mostly inappropriate behaviour, though some of the allegations, if true, could be classified as assault. The main people mentioned are Melody Hensley and Rebecca Watson, who are not terribly well regarded by all in these parts, but Michael Marshall, who is quoted as confirming one incident, is someone I would trust.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 07:59 AM   #2
angrysoba
Philosophile

Oh dear! Well, that doesn't look good.

It's a long article and some of the behaviour, if true, would be sexual harassment in any workplace setting, but it's also mixed in with a lot of borderline cases that, if true, would make him look a bit crass, and then there's some well-poisoning about the whole skeptic movement and some guilt-by-association. Furthermore, I hope that raising an eyebrow over the #metoo movement is not being considered as damning evidence now.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 08:02 AM   #3
Cleon
King of the Pod People

There's quite the paper trail too, from multiple institutions.

This can't be hand-waved away as he-said/she-said. Not that people won't try anyway.
Old 23rd February 2018, 08:15 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
There's quite the paper trail too, from multiple institutions.

This can't be hand-waved away as he-said/she-said. Not that people won't try anyway.
What is actually documented in the paper trail, though?

Is it a record of complaints made and institutional responses?

Is it a record of corroborated testimony and confessions of wrongdoing?

Etc.

A paper trail by itself doesn't necessarily mean much.

Last edited by theprestige; 23rd February 2018 at 08:18 AM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 08:20 AM   #5
Belz...
Fiend God

Why lump sexist jokes and comments along with groping? To pad the list of accusations?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 10:22 AM   #6
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Why lump sexist jokes and comments along with groping? To pad the list of accusations?
#JustRebeccaWatsonThings
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 10:25 AM   #7
Belz...
Fiend God

...huh?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 10:28 AM   #8
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

...huh?
I'm throwing shade on Rebecca Watson, who is supposedly involved in this affair.
Old 23rd February 2018, 10:29 AM   #9
Belz...
Fiend God

If Rebecca claimed that the sky is blue, I'd go out and have a look, just to make sure.

Old 23rd February 2018, 10:29 AM   #10
Fudbucker
Philosopher

I used to watch him on Youtube, debating. I never liked that guy.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 10:35 AM   #11
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Seems like these guys are all working from the same manual.

Quote:
They made a plan to eat in the restaurant at the Washington, DC, hotel where Krauss was staying, Hensley recalled. But first he asked her to come up to his room while he wrapped up some work.
That seems to be the MO for everybody.

I do love that he helps decide when to move the hands of the Doomsday Clock.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 10:53 AM   #12
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Etc.

This information is contained in the article. Yes, the documentation does include a record of complaints made, institutional responses, and corroborated testimony.

No confessions of wrongdoing, of course.
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:28 AM   #13
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Because they were made in his role as a professor, to students, and can therefore constitute sexual harassment.

It's a shame that these accusations will tarnish his reputation as a skeptic--his generally awful reasoning skills should do that instead.
mumblethrax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:58 AM   #14
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
I used to watch him on Youtube, debating. I never liked that guy.
I'm curious as to why?

signed,
another guy who used to watch him on youtube debating, and also never quite cared for him.
Old 23rd February 2018, 12:02 PM   #15
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I had to look the guy up. Never heard of him. Having a grasp of science has no correlation with being a decent human being as far as I know.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 12:05 PM   #16
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I'm curious as to why?

signed,
another guy who used to watch him on youtube debating, and also never quite cared for him.
He just rubbed me the wrong way. Also, he was a terrible debater.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 02:15 PM   #17
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

By chance, was it the debate with the Muslim? It was pretty bad.

There was a dispute on that one because the audience was initially supposed to be gender-segregated (yes, like in a mosque). Krauss objected. I don't remember how it was resolved.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 02:57 PM   #18
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I had to look the guy up. Never heard of him. Having a grasp of science has no correlation with being a decent human being as far as I know.
He's active in in the skeptic community which is why he gets a thread here.
!00% agree that being intelligent and knowledgable is totally unconnected with ethical/moral issues. Some absolute geniuses were people you would not want as next door neighbors.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 03:04 PM   #19
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
He's active in in the skeptic community which is why he gets a thread here.
!00% agree that being intelligent and knowledgable is totally unconnected with ethical/moral issues. Some absolute geniuses were people you would not want as next door neighbors.
Dr Frankingstein, I presume.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 04:49 PM   #20
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Also, this article looks worse than ever now.

Lawrence Krauss Defends a Sex Offender, Embarrasses Scientists Everywhere
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2018, 05:45 PM   #21
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Yeah, same here. I saw a few of his debates (not the one with the muslim) and he was terrible. As someone once said, there is nothing worse than seeing a poor defense of views with which you agree, and I was usually on his "side" in many of the debates.

I have no real animosity for him (yet, pending this case), but just found him to be a bit sanctimonious and a poor representative of some of the positions he was defending in the debates.
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:57 PM   #22
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Holy wow.

Quote:
I believe him when he told me he had no idea the girls were underage
He thought a thirteen year old flown in from eastern Europe was 18 or older?

Quote:
He served time for something that was determined was inappropriate.
I suppose you could call being a client of a child sex trafficking operation something that was "determined inappropriate."

Quote:
I honestly donít know who was the victim in this case.
Speechless.
Old 23rd February 2018, 11:58 PM   #23
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Etc.

You could read the article and have all of your questions answered.
Old 24th February 2018, 12:08 AM   #24
Mumbles
Philosopher

Yeah, oh well, not like this wasn't widely known for years.

Folks may not *like* Watson, but the simple fact is that the obsession with "SJWs" is a prime reason why the atheist/skeptic community is infested with sexual harassers and Nazi fetishists today.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 12:53 AM   #25
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

"Latest"? Did you miss the whole discussion on this from Elevator-gate to whatever all the BS was about sexism in the skeptical community? Come-on. We've all heard about this particular groper in our ranks.

IOW, is this a surprise to anyone? On the other hand, I do find this thread interesting.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 24th February 2018 at 12:57 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 12:56 AM   #26
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Sorry, sometimes they do go hand in hand.
Old 24th February 2018, 12:58 AM   #27
Elagabalus
Illuminator

I'll never trust another skeptic ... oh, wait ....
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 01:02 AM   #28
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
He's been around the skeptic community forever. It always weirds me out to see him as a narrator along with Phil Plait and Michelle Thaller on the How the Universe Works series.
Old 24th February 2018, 01:07 AM   #29
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Do keep in mind one has to take the Skepchicks' website with a grain of salt. But it has been common knowledge among said community that Krauss is one to be avoided on elevators.
Old 24th February 2018, 02:47 AM   #30
Cain
Straussian

Quote:
[Krauss told] an employee at Arizona State University... that he was going to buy her birth control so she didn’t inconvenience him with maternity leave.
Assuming it was a joke, I don't see what's wrong with this comment (unless she was unmarried).
Old 24th February 2018, 02:54 AM   #31
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Please tell me the Hensley in question isn't Melody
Old 24th February 2018, 03:07 AM   #32
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
You could read the article and have all of your questions answered.
I promise that the moment I set out to argue the reported facts, I will bother to read the article.
Old 24th February 2018, 03:46 AM   #33
Belz...
Fiend God

He just rubbed me the wrong way.
Is that like groping?

Old 24th February 2018, 03:47 AM   #34
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Yeah, oh well, not like this wasn't widely known for years.

Folks may not *like* Watson, but the simple fact is that the obsession with "SJWs" is a prime reason why the atheist/skeptic community is infested with sexual harassers and Nazi fetishists today.
The problem's broader than that. Both sides' far-wing subsets are obsessed with the other.

Old 24th February 2018, 04:03 AM   #35
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Please tell me the Hensley in question isn't Melody
Possibly a bit late for that. From the OP:
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
The main people mentioned are Melody Hensley and Rebecca Watson,
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
He's been around the skeptic community forever. It always weirds me out to see him as a narrator along with Phil Plait and Michelle Thaller on the How the Universe Works series.

Well, I'd have thought that's more a science thing than a skeptic thing. He is, as I understand it, well-regarded as a scientist. I've seen him speak a couple of times, at TAM and QEDCon, about the universe rather than any skeptical topic. He strikes me what I think of as a fairly stereotypical New York type (don't know if that's where he's actually from), very self-confident, intelligent and outgoing, even pushy, not necessarily especially likable. I never observed any dubious behaviour, on the other hand I can't say it would come as a complete surprise. Without excusing it, some of it could be due to differing expectations and assumptions about levels of sophistication. But it seems to have been going on for a very long time without change, which would seem to argue against it being innocent misunderstandings every time.
P1070005 by zooterkin, on Flickr
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 05:26 AM   #36
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Glass houses do come to mind.
Old 24th February 2018, 08:00 AM   #37
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Assuming it was a joke, I don't see what's wrong with this comment (unless she was unmarried).
The context reported was that he prefaced it with an argument that he shouldn't have to pay for maternity leave. So, I'm not sure. It does seem like the most benign incident mentioned in the article.

eta:

Quote:
Another employee was so upset by his behavior that she started keeping a written record of offensive incidents.

“Said he understood why people didn't like to hire women of child bearing age because it isn’t fair to have to pay maternity benefit,” she wrote in one entry. “Said he’s going to buy me birth control so I don't get pregnant and inconvenience him. Asked if I was planning to get pregnant.”

Last edited by kellyb; 24th February 2018 at 08:03 AM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 08:30 AM   #38
Stout
Illuminator

Uh oh

There appears to be a non believer in the skeptical community.

https://www.skepticink.com/avant-gar.../02/23/krauss/
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2018, 08:49 AM   #39
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Uh oh

There appears to be a non believer in the skeptical community.

https://www.skepticink.com/avant-gar.../02/23/krauss/
Hey, they used my photo!
Old 24th February 2018, 09:29 AM   #40
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Kraus's reaction now is key: with an apology with sufficient remorse he could get out of this quite intact, especially with his fans of course.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events