ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheists , Lawrence Krauss , sexual misconduct charges

Old 5th March 2018, 01:30 PM   #361
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Exactly. The point is, science isn't embarrassed when a scientist goes with the data available to them until other data is available. But the SJWs hate anything that doesn't fit their narrative.
That analogy is just another embarrassing addition to the already existing pile. Flight is a physical phenomenon subject to repeatable, independent observation. Krauss's behavior fits neither of those characteristics, rendering the analogy pointless.

Last edited by SezMe; 5th March 2018 at 01:31 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 09:34 AM   #362
d4m10n
Illuminator

We may safely assume at least one of the folks running PR for the Perimeter Institute reads Buzzfeed News.

Archived event page for Quantum Cosmos: https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...quantum-cosmos

Current event page:
https://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/videos/quantum-cosmos

The new page still says "9 physicists discuss what lies ahead in physics," leading to a certain amount of confusion among those who can count.

Last edited by d4m10n; 6th March 2018 at 09:37 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 01:34 PM   #363
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
We may safely assume at least one of the folks running PR for the Perimeter Institute reads Buzzfeed News.

Archived event page for Quantum Cosmos: https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...quantum-cosmos

Current event page:
https://www.perimeterinstitute.ca/videos/quantum-cosmos

The new page still says "9 physicists discuss what lies ahead in physics," leading to a certain amount of confusion among those who can count.
They both list Krauss and I can't see a difference between the two links. Is my browser not showing them properly?

ETA: Nevermind, just noticed that Kraus's name was left of the edited version.

Besides, it looks like it is a recording of a talk from 2009. Do they have to remove all evidence of a prior relationship with him?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 6th March 2018 at 01:36 PM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 01:38 PM   #364
d4m10n
Illuminator

Maybe I'm having a weird browser glitch on my end?

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Do they have to remove all evidence of a prior relationship with him?
I do think it's weird for the Perimeter Institute to retcon past events like this, but I'm going to take it as an institutional admission of sorts.

Last edited by d4m10n; 6th March 2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Overcome by events
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 02:07 PM   #365
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Maybe I'm having a weird browser glitch on my end?

I do think it's weird for the Perimeter Institute to retcon past events like this, but I'm going to take it as an institutional admission of sorts.
Sorry about my user error induced edits.

Maybe they just don't want his name to be searchable on their website. More of an SEO issue than anything else. Not providing him any further endorsement, even though they have a video of speakers that includes him.

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 02:41 PM   #366
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

[strike]Do they have to remove all evidence of a prior relationship with him?
Why not, NPR scrubbed 40+ years of Garrison Keiller from its archives over his touching a woman's bare back?
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 02:45 PM   #367
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
That analogy is just another embarrassing addition to the already existing pile. Flight is a physical phenomenon subject to repeatable, independent observation. Krauss's behavior fits neither of those characteristics, rendering the analogy pointless.
Obviously you failed at comprehension. Krauss' behaviour is not comparable to flight in the analogy. Krauss' behaviour is comparable to the scientist using the wrong data to draw a conclusion. But thanks for trying.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 02:51 PM   #368
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Why not, NPR scrubbed 40+ years of Garrison Keiller from its archives over his touching a woman's bare back?
You haven't kept up with that story, have you.

Old 6th March 2018, 03:54 PM   #369
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

You haven't kept up with that story, have you.
No. Have there been other allegations? The fact remains, NPR scrubbed him immediately after the first allegation. Any other allegation has no bearing on that.
Old 6th March 2018, 04:38 PM   #370
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

No. Have there been other allegations? The fact remains, NPR scrubbed him immediately after the first allegation. Any other allegation has no bearing on that.
MPR.

And have you considered the possibility that MPR was considering more allegations than those publicized at the time?

As I recall, from very early on the story was that MPR was considering a fairly large "body of work", but that they were not publicizing any details. Keillor himself volunteered a story about a fairly innocuous incident. And then MPR scrubbed him.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 08:46 PM   #371
fuelair
Suspended

If they did they are fools. That he did a stupid thing may well be enough to take him off their stations, but it does no one any good if persons who study the histories of radio and related are denied the opportunity to research such things. Destroying historical items/records is flat evil and very stupid.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 08:47 PM   #372
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
MPR.

And have you considered the possibility that MPR was considering more allegations than those publicized at the time?

As I recall, from very early on the story was that MPR was considering a fairly large "body of work", but that they were not publicizing any details. Keillor himself volunteered a story about a fairly innocuous incident. And then MPR scrubbed him.
Are you perhaps speaking of NPR????
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 09:42 PM   #373
Shepherd
Thinker

Minnesota Public Radio, I believe it is.

Here is a link to their statement regarding the issue:

https://www.mpr.org/stories/2017/11/...rie-home-compa

Last edited by Shepherd; 6th March 2018 at 09:56 PM.
Shepherd is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 09:27 AM   #374
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
If they did they are fools. That he did a stupid thing may well be enough to take him off their stations, but it does no one any good if persons who study the histories of radio and related are denied the opportunity to research such things. Destroying historical items/records is flat evil and very stupid.
What are you talking about? Nobody said anything about destroying anything. Not even "if".
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 09:28 AM   #375
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Are you perhaps speaking of NPR????: confused :
Why would I be speaking of NPR? Would it be too much to ask that you familiarize yourself with the topic before barging in and acting confused?
Old 7th March 2018, 09:53 AM   #376
d4m10n
Illuminator

Turns out Krauss was Keillor all along.

And he'd've gotten away with it but for you meddling kids
Old 7th March 2018, 10:08 AM   #377
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously you failed at comprehension. Krauss' behaviour is not comparable to flight in the analogy. Krauss' behaviour is comparable to the scientist using the wrong data to draw a conclusion. But thanks for trying.
Selling out ones scientific credentials to assert that "As a scientist I always judge things on empirical evidence and he always has women ages 19 to 23 around him, but Iíve never seen anything else, so as a scientist, my presumption is that whatever the problems were I would believe him over other people."

As a scientist he uses "empirical evidence" to conclude that he "has women 19 to 23 around him" and as a "scientist" believe admitted felon Epstein over "other people."

That right there is not science, it is taking one's pants down and crapping all over science.

But thanks. Thanks for trying.
Old 7th March 2018, 11:07 AM   #378
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It's kind of more like him not bothering to look at any data and just going with a dude going "I'm making it happen with my mind!!"

Which is quite funny
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 12:04 PM   #379
fuelair
Suspended

What are you talking about? Nobody said anything about destroying anything. Not even "if".
Deleting the stored Keillor shows..........
Old 7th March 2018, 12:15 PM   #380
fuelair
Suspended

According to MPR they were completely removed. By them. Called to find out...
Old 7th March 2018, 12:27 PM   #381
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
That's what ignorant people do, they use a derogatory term like SJWs to avoid dealing with the real issue.
It's a label, not a dodge. It's like saying "Republicans". Does the label mean you're avoiding the issue?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 12:52 PM   #382
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

According to MPR they were completely removed. By them. Called to find out...
MPR doesn't own the shows. They license them from Keillor. If they're ending their business relationship with Keillor, they're probably not allowed to keep copies of his content. Taking their copies offline is not the same as destroying the shows.
Old 7th March 2018, 02:12 PM   #383
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

No.
Thought so. Your summary was inaccurate. I'd say the full facts aren't known, but it is clear that MPR conducted a thorough investigation before taking action.

It is also clear that Mr. Keillor's self serving claim that it was all over a hand placed innocently on a woman's back is clearly not true. But it seems to have had the desired effect, so kudos to him.

Old 7th March 2018, 04:32 PM   #384
Stankeye
Thinker

No one has posted the Krauss response?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IgA...ryTNJbJ_5/view
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 04:37 PM   #385
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stankeye View Post

Is that official yet?
Old 7th March 2018, 04:51 PM   #386
Stankeye
Thinker

Is that official yet?
He twitted it. Twatterd? I don't know how to embed tweets.

The followup tweets are interesting as well. With more Anon's saying they know someone.

Last edited by Stankeye; 7th March 2018 at 04:55 PM.
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 06:38 PM   #387
d4m10n
Illuminator

Very "he said, she said" on the Krauss/Hensley encounter. As a skeptic, I'm going to place faith in the person who became the public face of iPTSD, and who repeatedly conflated Storify (mostly collating tweets) with cyberharassment.
Old 7th March 2018, 06:46 PM   #388
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Very "he said, she said" on the Krauss/Hensley encounter. As a skeptic, I'm going to place faith in the person who became the public face of iPTSD, and who repeatedly conflated Storify (mostly collating tweets) with cyberharassment.
not the one who said because he was a scientist who saw his good friends with 19 year olds and up that he was going to believe him and not the terms of the plea bargain his good friend signed?

huh
Old 7th March 2018, 07:12 PM   #389
kellyb
Philosopher

What would qualify as cyberharassment in your mind? (honest question.)
Old 7th March 2018, 07:16 PM   #390
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
What would qualify as cyberharassment in your mind? (honest question.)
Something other than documenting public pronouncements, e.g. repeated emails or other personal contacts which are known to be unwanted.
Old 7th March 2018, 07:40 PM   #391
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Selling out ones scientific credentials to assert that "As a scientist I always judge things on empirical evidence and he always has women ages 19 to 23 around him, but Iíve never seen anything else, so as a scientist, my presumption is that whatever the problems were I would believe him over other people."

As a scientist he uses "empirical evidence" to conclude that he "has women 19 to 23 around him" and as a "scientist" believe admitted felon Epstein over "other people."

That right there is not science, it is taking one's pants down and crapping all over science.

But thanks. Thanks for trying.
Oh Jesus! I think science will be just fine notwithstanding your pearl clutching.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 07:42 PM   #392
Jerrymander
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It's a label, not a dodge. It's like saying "Republicans". Does the label mean you're avoiding the issue?
Expect "Republican" is actually a political party and not a pejorative.
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 07:44 PM   #393
kellyb
Philosopher

Something other than documenting public pronouncements, e.g. repeated emails or other personal contacts which are known to be unwanted.
So, no such thing as public cyberharassment?
Old 7th March 2018, 07:50 PM   #394
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Interesting read
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 07:59 PM   #395
kellyb
Philosopher

https://www.dailydot.com/irl/elevato...st-harassment/

Quote:
I’ve had to live every day knowing that there are people out there who are absolutely obsessed with me, who hate me so much that they spend hours each day blogging, tweeting, creating new social media accounts, Photoshopping my pictures, drawing pornographic images of me, making albums about how I should be murdered, and trying to get me fired from the podcast I do for free. When I’m able to find out their identities (sometimes they don’t even hide them), I often find they have a history of domestic violence, stalking, or in the most recent case, “indecent liberties with a minor.”
Honestly, that would mess me up, bad.

I was a teen when the internet was new to the masses, and my generation was always told "Never, ever put ANY personal details about yourself online", and I've always had that in the back of my mind. The fear at the time was of serial killers finding people, but being internet stalked for the purposes of public humiliation has proven to be the most valid reason for staying as private as possible, it seems.
Old 7th March 2018, 08:52 PM   #396
d4m10n
Illuminator

So, no such thing as public cyberharassment?
Reading public tweets is not harassment.

Reading public tweets and showing them to others in order . . . also not harassment.
Old 7th March 2018, 09:16 PM   #397
kellyb
Philosopher

Reading public tweets is not harassment.

Reading public tweets and showing them to others in order . . . also not harassment.
I'm looking through this, and it's ugly stuff. He does appear to be darkly obsessed with feminist skeptics and rape victims, out to "expose" (humiliate) them.
Old 7th March 2018, 09:27 PM   #398
d4m10n
Illuminator

Oh yeah it's just hideous. He looked at public tweets and then *gasp* encouraged others to do so. What cybernetic nightmares stalketh in the corners of the world wide web.
Old 7th March 2018, 09:34 PM   #399
kellyb
Philosopher

Oh yeah it's just hideous. He looked at public tweets and then *gasp* encouraged others to do so. What cybernetic nightmares stalketh in the corners of the world wide web.
When it turns into hundreds of people talking about it, egging each other on with increasingly violent and mysogynistic language to the point of some making death and rape threats...how would *you* deal with that? Just...get a life and get off the internet?
Old 7th March 2018, 10:23 PM   #400
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

When it turns into hundreds of people talking about it, egging each other on with increasingly violent and mysogynistic language to the point of some making death and rape threats...how would *you* deal with that? Just...get a life and get off the internet?
Where is this?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events