ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheists , Lawrence Krauss , sexual misconduct charges

Old 28th February 2018, 09:51 AM   #161
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
He defends child molesters. If he can defend that, he will defend anything.
Krauss claimed Epstein was into 19-y.o.'s; you paraphrase his (likely contrafactual) defense in terms of child molestation.

No obvious bias showing here.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 09:56 AM   #162
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Krauss claimed Epstein was into 19-y.o.'s; you paraphrase his (likely contrafactual) defense in terms of child molestation.
Epstein pleaded guilty to sex with underage girls.

Krauss denies he did it.

Who is contrafactual?
Old 28th February 2018, 09:59 AM   #163
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Epstein pleaded guilty to sex with underage girls.

Krauss denies he did it.

Who is contrafactual?
Krauss, as I said.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 10:12 AM   #164
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Pleading guilty doesn't mean you're guilty, any more than pleading innocent means you're innocent. Especially in the US court system, with its entrenched plea-bargain practices.

We can say that by pleading guilty, he made it easier for the state to meet the legal and constitutional standard for justifying state infringement on his rights. And we can say that by meeting the required standard, the state is treating him fairly under the law. And we can even say that because the state has met the required standard, justice has been served in some sense.

But we can say all of these things, and also say that the guilty plea is not consistent with other things we have observed, and that therefore we remain agnostic or even skeptical about the claim of guilt itself.

I say this not to defend Epstein (who may well be guilty of indefensible acts), nor to defend Krauss (who may well be intentionally ignoring other evidence of indefensible acts). I say this because I think it's a bad argument. Courtroom pleas by themselves don't trump other, contradictory observations. O.J. pleaded innocent, and was even acquitted. But we still get to say that l courtroom outcome isn't consistent with our other observations. And we still get to say that those other observations carry more weight with us.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 10:23 AM   #165
kellyb
Philosopher

He pleaded guilty because he was "legally guilty" even according to Krauss, who said:

Quote:
He served time for something that was determined was inappropriate.
"determined was inappropriate" <<--- that's a euphemism for having sex with a 14 yo prostitute lured to him by a recruiter.
Old 28th February 2018, 10:30 AM   #166
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
"determined was inappropriate" <<--- that's a euphemism for having sex with a 14 yo prostitute lured to him by a recruiter.
Yeah I hate it when people try to diminish wrongdoings by spinning things this way.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 11:44 AM   #167
Jerrymander
Critical Thinker

I wonder if they'll release the photo of Krauss allegedly grabbing the woman's breast.
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 01:36 PM   #168
SezMe
post-pre-born

Is Krauss' irrationality re: Epstein good (Bayesian) evidence of the claims made in the Buzzfeed hit piece?
Not that you are biased or anything, right?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 01:39 PM   #169
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Wow, you mean he was wrong about him? The monster!
C'mon, Belz....(the 4th dot is a period) You're not that blinkered.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 01:41 PM   #170
d4m10n
Illuminator

To be clear on what I mean by "hit piece" in this context...

Source

Last edited by d4m10n; 28th February 2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 28th February 2018, 01:45 PM   #171
SezMe
post-pre-born

What does "stanning" mean?
Old 28th February 2018, 01:47 PM   #172
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

To be clear on what I mean by "hit piece" in this context...
I don't think that people were looking for a definition of a hit piece (and that is not a good explanation).

I think people want to know why you think it was a hit piece.

Because it does not appear to be

Last edited by The Big Dog; 28th February 2018 at 01:49 PM.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 01:51 PM   #173
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
I don't think that people were looking for a definition of a hit piece (and that is not a good explanation).

I think people want to know why you think it was a hit piece.
Did you catch the part about unwavering conviction that a particular target is uniquely worthy of injury and exposure?
Old 28th February 2018, 01:54 PM   #174
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Did you catch the part about unwavering conviction that a particular target is uniquely worthy of injury and exposure?
Of course. Did you catch the part about #metoo being a massive ongoing movement that has resulted in the exposure of hundreds of abusers which makes Epstein's apologist anything but unique
Old 28th February 2018, 01:56 PM   #175
d4m10n
Illuminator

I suppose if you believe #metoo can do no wrong, then it's obviously not a hit piece.
Old 28th February 2018, 01:57 PM   #176
kellyb
Philosopher

In what way is Krauss like W in terms of being seen as "uniquely worthy of injury" because of "political bias" and "pre-set conviction"?
Old 28th February 2018, 01:58 PM   #177
kellyb
Philosopher

I suppose if you believe #metoo can do no wrong, then it's obviously not a hit piece.
Of course #metoo can be co-opted by people with vested interests and hidden agendas.
Old 28th February 2018, 02:00 PM   #178
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

That is what we call a strawman. What I explained was that Krauss was in no way unique, and I will add, substantially more deserving than some other people exposed during the movement.
Old 28th February 2018, 02:07 PM   #179
d4m10n
Illuminator

Krauss is among the most famous skeptics/science advocates in the U.S. (seems uniquely newsworthy to me) though it must be said that many of the men in that relatively small group have previously been accused of sexual misconduct or harassment, or at least sexism.
Old 28th February 2018, 02:16 PM   #180
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Krauss is among the most famous skeptics/science advocates in the U.S. (seems uniquely newsworthy to me) though it must be said that many of the men in that relatively small group have previously been accused of sexual misconduct or harassment, or at least sexism.
that is not the point either. The point is what makes him unique when so many other abusers have been exposed?
Old 28th February 2018, 02:29 PM   #181
d4m10n
Illuminator

that is not the point either. The point is what makes him unique when so many other abusers have been exposed?
I think the question is whether journalists (or their major sources) believe—with unwavering conviction—the subject of some given exposé is "uniquely worthy of injury or exposure."

So far, Buzzfeed News has addressed the skeptic movement just twice, laying out allegations against Michael Shermer and Lawrence Krauss. As skeptics, we are free to doubt or accept the claims made in these write-ups, based on our own assessment of the underlying sources and the quality of the reportage.

Last edited by d4m10n; 28th February 2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 28th February 2018, 02:34 PM   #182
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

You know who is not a fan of the #metoo movement?

Lawrence Krauss who is among the most famous skeptics/science advocates in the U.S.
Old 28th February 2018, 02:41 PM   #183
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I think the question is whether journalists (or their major sources) believe—with unwavering conviction—the subject of some given exposé is "uniquely worthy of injury or exposure."

So far, Buzzfeed News has addressed the skeptic movement just twice, laying out allegations against Michael Shermer and Lawrence Krauss. As skeptics, we are free to doubt or accept the claims made in these write-ups, based on our own assessment of the underlying sources and the quality of the reportage.
Perhaps you should be reviewing the number of times Buzzfeed News has addressed the #metoo movement?

By the way, a 'skeptic" would note that you appear to be engaging in an ad hominem fallacy.
Old 28th February 2018, 02:43 PM   #184
kellyb
Philosopher

Any of them been banned from university campuses for being notoriously sexually inappropriate with students? Defenders of and friends with someone deep into underage sex trafficking rings? Accused of sexual assault by multiple people?

Anybody have any Sam Harris or Dan Barker or Daniel Dennett stories on par with Krauss's pattern?
Old 28th February 2018, 02:46 PM   #185
kellyb
Philosopher

So far, Buzzfeed News has addressed the skeptic movement just twice, laying out allegations against Michael Shermer and Lawrence Krauss.
What in the world else would they report on?

Fascinating coverage of how we still don't believe in bigfoot?
Old 28th February 2018, 02:48 PM   #186
d4m10n
Illuminator

Any of them been banned from university campuses for being notoriously sexually inappropriate with students?
I don't yet know whether that has even happened to Professor Krauss. Have we even heard from Case Western on this yet? ASU?
Old 28th February 2018, 02:57 PM   #187
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I don't yet know whether that has even happened to Professor Krauss. Have we even heard from Case Western on this yet? ASU?
Do you have reason to believe that this did not happen to Convicted Felon Apologist Krauss? ASU has opened an investigation and Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics confirmed that “In 2012, as part of a formal review of its internal policies, the institute made a decision that he would not be invited to return."
Old 28th February 2018, 03:04 PM   #188
kellyb
Philosopher

Do you not believe this from the article?

Quote:
In response to complaints, two institutions — Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, and the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ontario — have quietly restricted him from their campuses. Our reporting is based on official university documents, emails, and interviews with more than 50 people.
Old 28th February 2018, 03:16 PM   #189
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Do you not believe this from the article?
It's strangely worded. I guess, "we'll see"is my best response, since I'm perfectly happy to watch and wait until the dust settles.

One of the people featured in the article was banned from the JREF.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 03:22 PM   #190
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
It's strangely worded. I guess, "we'll see"is my best response, since I'm perfectly happy to watch and wait until the dust settles.

One of the people featured in the article was banned from the JREF.
I remember when Rebecca was banned (after yage'ing a few times, iirc. lol)
I wasn't friends with her, but I always thought she was funny.

Re: the buzzfeed quote, I'm not finding the wording clumsy or leading to any ambiguity whatsoever.

You can say you don't trust or believe Buzzfeed, but...

Quote:
In response to complaints, two institutions — Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, and the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ontario — have quietly restricted him from their campuses.
...only has one possible interpretation.
Old 28th February 2018, 03:29 PM   #191
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I remember when Rebecca was banned (after yage'ing a few times, iirc. lol)
I wasn't friends with her, but I always thought she was funny.

Re: the buzzfeed quote, I'm not finding the wording clumsy or leading to any ambiguity whatsoever.

You can say you don't trust or believe Buzzfeed, but...

...only has one possible interpretation.
To take it a step further, neither Case Western nor the Canadians have contradicted the reporting in any fashion.

It is certainly reasonable that the absence of any objection is incredibly compelling.
Old 28th February 2018, 03:32 PM   #192
kellyb
Philosopher

To take it a step further, neither Case Western nor the Canadians have contradicted the reporting in any fashion.

It is certainly reasonable that the absence of any objection is incredibly compelling.
Yeah, that would be one hell of an easily exposed fib if they just made that up.
Old 28th February 2018, 03:39 PM   #193
d4m10n
Illuminator

I eagerly await some form of confirmation.

Not getting the sense that Case Western totally severed ties: http://cerca.case.edu/events/einsteins-blunder/

Last edited by d4m10n; 28th February 2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 28th February 2018, 03:42 PM   #194
kellyb
Philosopher

Confirmation from whom, and in what form?

Quote:
Not getting the sense that Case Western totally severed ties
Ok, "restricted him from their campuses". For being notoriously sexually inappropriate with students. Not a lot of difference there.

Last edited by kellyb; 28th February 2018 at 03:45 PM.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 03:42 PM   #195
d4m10n
Illuminator

Confirmation from who in what form?
From either university mentioned in the hit piece exposé.
Old 28th February 2018, 03:43 PM   #196
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
C'mon, Belz....(the 4th dot is a period) You're not that blinkered.
I didn't know the guilty plea was before the comment was made.

In any case, I'm still in the dark as to what was meant by "disturbing".

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2018, 03:46 PM   #197
kellyb
Philosopher

From either university mentioned in the hit piece exposé.
You've emailed them?
Old 28th February 2018, 03:48 PM   #198
kellyb
Philosopher

"Disturbing" as in "it creeps you out" about the guy.

Let me put it like this: I wouldn't want someone like that tutoring my 14 year old daughter (if I had a daughter that age.)
Old 28th February 2018, 03:48 PM   #199
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Not getting the sense that Case Western totally severed ties: http://cerca.case.edu/events/einsteins-blunder/
Was not aware that Case Western had a campus in the Virgin Islands.
Old 28th February 2018, 03:48 PM   #200
Jerrymander
Critical Thinker

I explained it to you.
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events