ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheists , Lawrence Krauss , sexual misconduct charges

Old 2nd March 2018, 04:27 PM   #281
Stout
Illuminator

This thread seems kind of slow today. What it needs is a trip down memory lane

You thought it was all over and done with.

CN Salon/Marcotte
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 04:36 PM   #282
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
This thread seems kind of slow today. What it needs is a trip down memory lane
https://www.salon.com/2018/03/02/for...ttle-too-late/

God this is wonderfully rich.

Quote:
In mid-February, #MeToo came to the community of activist atheists and science promoters, known as skeptics, a vibrant if somewhat insular subculture of the non-faithful.
Duuuuude, skeptics have been me-tooing since the accusations against Ben Radford and Michael Shermer.

Not to mention the demonstrably false accusations against Steve "Monopod Man" Packhard.

Last edited by d4m10n; 2nd March 2018 at 05:02 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 04:43 PM   #283
Stout
Illuminator

Thanks Damion.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 04:56 PM   #284
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

From the photo in that article: Deadpool?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 05:08 PM   #285
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post

Duuuuude, skeptics have been me-tooing since the accusations against Ben Radford and Michael Shermer.

Not to mention the demonstrably false accusations against Steve "Monopod Man" Packhard.
Not sure what that has to do with *********** nightmare Laurence Krauss.

He knowingly defends the worst people on earth. Which begs the question about what people who defend people who defend the worst *********** people on earth.

Thoughts
Old 2nd March 2018, 05:30 PM   #286
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

Thoughts
He's mentioned in the first paragraph and that's his mug in the banner atop the page. Is that enough ?
Old 2nd March 2018, 05:51 PM   #287
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

He's mentioned in the first paragraph and that's his mug in the banner atop the page. Is that enough ?
Oh, sorry. I was in fact referring to the undisputed fact that absolute nightmare felon scumbag defender Krauss defended undisputed scum bag Epstein, not once but multiple times, which had nothing to do at all with scumbag apologist’s post.
Old 2nd March 2018, 05:56 PM   #288
angrysoba
Philosophile

He knowingly defends the worst people on earth. Which begs the question about what people who defend people who defend the worst *********** people on earth.

Thoughts
Yeah, it tells us nothing. However, your post tells me you don't know what "begging the question" means.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 06:00 PM   #289
Stout
Illuminator

Oh, sorry. I was in fact referring to the undisputed fact that absolute nightmare felon scumbag defender Krauss defended undisputed scum bag Epstein, not once but multiple times, which had nothing to do at all with scumbag apologist’s post.
OK I gotcha now.

I was actually thinking of taking a run at Krauss's statement re Epstein and try t paint it as more of a CYA statement "just in case" Krauss himself gets dragged into the underage thing. I can't do it, the only thing I can attribute the entire statement to is pure arrogance on Krauss's part.

A smart guy saying stupid things.
Old 2nd March 2018, 06:11 PM   #290
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

A smart guy saying stupid things.
I have a smart friend who goes to a holistic healer. I have had a long discussion with him about how foolish this looks. His response was that we all have blind spots in our lives, things we don't see the same way others see them, things we don't apply our typical logic to. If this is his worst blind spot, he figures he must be doing OK.

I sadly had to tell him that his vegetarian chili was his worst blind spot. Just awful. Way worse than homeopathic allergy drops.

But back on topic, if you find yourself defending child molesters you may want to reexamine your blind spots, adjust the mirrors a bit. That is some serious lack of situational awareness.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 06:48 PM   #291
kellyb
Philosopher

Did you only read the first couple of paragraphs? It goes back to 2011 (and before).
Old 2nd March 2018, 07:02 PM   #292
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Did you only read the first couple of paragraphs? It goes back to 2011 (and before).
Does the article explain how #metoo is substantively different than the prior waves of accusations against prominent skeptics?
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2018, 07:13 PM   #293
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Does the article explain how #metoo is substantively different than the prior waves of accusations against prominent skeptics?
Yeah, Krauss got banned by two organizations, actual skeptics have called him out, and he has humiliated himself by defending using science to defend an admitted human sex trafficker.

34 confirmed minors,

Say, d4m10n, please fill us in about how you feel about Krauss using “science” to excuse an admitted felon pimp scum bag?
Old 2nd March 2018, 07:16 PM   #294
d4m10n
Illuminator

Yeah, Krauss got banned by two organizations, actual skeptics have called him out, and he has humiliated himself by defending using science to defend an admitted human sex trafficker.
I suppose that last point is indeed unique.

Not exactly a #metoo thing, though.

Come to think of it, didn't *all* of those events predate the #metoo movement?

Last edited by d4m10n; 2nd March 2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:16 PM   #295
Stout
Illuminator

They sure did, it looks like Marcotte is just slapping on the label and recycling some old dirty laundry to get herself a paycheck.
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:29 PM   #296
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I suppose that last point is indeed unique.

Not exactly a #metoo thing, though.

I cannot imagine a more irrelevant response
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:34 PM   #297
d4m10n
Illuminator

It's completely unclear to me how #metoo denotes something remotely new here. Atheists and skeptics have been told to listen and believe accusations for many years now.

Mod WarningPlease use the IMGW tag in future to limit the size of large images.
Posted By:zooterkin

Last edited by zooterkin; 3rd March 2018 at 05:11 AM.
Old 2nd March 2018, 08:58 PM   #298
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

It's completely unclear to me how #metoo denotes something remotely new here. Atheists and skeptics have been told to listen and believe accusations for many years now.

Case western and the Canadian organization acted long before the pimp apologist was confronted by #metoo.

Plus I know that #metoo did not compel him to say that science and empirical evidence convinced him that Epstein’s “interesting” friends were 19 years old.

34 confirmed minors
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:02 PM   #299
d4m10n
Illuminator

Why then does the author bring up #metoo as if it is a newly relevant phenomenon to skeptics? Nothing new under the sun as far as I can see.

Say, d4m10n, please fill us in about how you feel about Krauss using “science” to excuse an admitted felon pimp scum bag?
See this post: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=121

Last edited by d4m10n; 2nd March 2018 at 09:05 PM.
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:14 PM   #300
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Why then does the author bring up #metoo as if it is a newly relevant phenomenon to skeptics? Nothing new under the sun as far as I can see.

Actually we are at the point where we are exploring two things:

1. Krauss is a despicable idiot for standing up for Epstein.
2. Krauss’s comment that he is scientist and used empirical evidence to conclude that Epstein was only banging 19 years olds set back science more than any thing the #metoo movement could do.

34 confirmed minors
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:16 PM   #301
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Why do any of these columnists talk about the atheist or skeptical community as if we are a monolithic group?

Because they are either naive about the concepts of atheism and skepticism, they are biased like many god believers are, full of assumptions about atheism, or they just want the story to be more dramatic.
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:22 PM   #302
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Why do any of these columnists talk about the atheist or skeptical community as if we are a monolithic group?

Because they are either naive about the concepts of atheism and skepticism, they are biased like many god believers are, full of assumptions about atheism, or they just want the story to be more dramatic.
No one is, don’t be naive
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:26 PM   #303
d4m10n
Illuminator

Actually we are at the point where we are exploring two things:

1. Krauss is a despicable idiot for standing up for Epstein.

2. Krauss’s comment that he is scientist and used empirical evidence to conclude that Epstein was only banging 19 years olds set back science more than any thing the #metoo movement could do.
You are free to explore those two things all you like. I'm more interested in the aforementioned ten accusations against Krauss himself, regarding his treatment of the women around him.
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:44 PM   #304
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

You are free to explore those two things all you like. I'm more interested in the aforementioned ten accusations against Krauss himself, regarding his treatment of the women around him.
Oh, 34 confirmed minors and taking a huge crap on”science” is not a concern?

Cool
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:45 PM   #305
d4m10n
Illuminator

Oh, 34 confirmed minors and taking a huge crap on”science” is not a concern?

Cool
Happy to address the 34 minors in the Epstein thread.
Old 2nd March 2018, 09:56 PM   #306
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Happy to address the 34 minors in the Epstein thread.
In this thread we are discussing Krauss’s disgraceful defense of Epstein.

So feel free to tuck in.
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:05 PM   #307
d4m10n
Illuminator

In this thread we are discussing Krauss’s disgraceful defense of Epstein.

So feel free to tuck in.
If I thought it had any bearing on whether Krauss is guilty of sexual misconduct, I might well do so. As it is, he is guilty of indulging a fairly common cognitive bias.
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:13 PM   #308
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

If I thought it had any bearing on whether Krauss is guilty of sexual misconduct, I might well do so. As it is, he is guilty of indulging a fairly common cognitive bias.
Well someone is.

34 confirmed minors.

Tell us more about how Krauss is a victim of being a skeptic.

Did you read where he said that as a scientist he used empirical evidence to conclude that the “interesting” people that his pal ********** were of age?

As a skeptic, regale us with tales of how that works, will you?
Old 2nd March 2018, 10:23 PM   #309
Venom
Graduate Poster

I don't really care. He should be confronted and punished, fired etc....but who is doing that to my childhood bullies? Who is doing that to the bullies of my cousins who tormented them years ago!! When will justice prevail there!!!!

Some of the accusations border on harassment more than sexual assault.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 01:03 AM   #310
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Different question. They are not morally equivalent. They are conceptually equivalent.
Except that cars aren't even remotely conceptually equivalent to child sex slaves.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 01:39 AM   #311
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

I don't think the writer was talking about skeptics as a monolithic group. She was just, as a skeptic herself, giving her take on this decade's history of fractures in "the community" over sexual harassment and assault and how skepticism is dominated by dudes.

It's not something non-skeptics might have found interesting before the metoo thing happened. Well, I'm not sure they do now, either, but she apparently thought it was worth throwing out there.
Old 3rd March 2018, 06:56 AM   #312
d4m10n
Illuminator

Lawrence Krauss accused of sexual misconduct

34 confirmed minors.

You keep saying that as if we are expected to know that Krauss knew about it. Maybe he did, maybe he didn’t. Maybe Bill Clinton knew, too. Who knows?

Last edited by d4m10n; 3rd March 2018 at 06:58 AM.
Old 3rd March 2018, 06:56 AM   #313
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Except that cars aren't even remotely conceptually equivalent to child sex slaves.
Take it up with the person who made the crap analogy. My analogy was to compare the Epstein statement to that of others who fell victim to a known, and reliable, associate becoming unreliable over time. I never mentioned a car.
Is all your life will ever be."

Last edited by qayak; 3rd March 2018 at 07:03 AM.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 07:00 AM   #314
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

You keep saying that as if we are expected to know that Krauss knew about it. Maybe he did, maybe he didn’t. Maybe Bill Clinton knew, too. Who knows?
The emails also state that none of the claims of the victims could be verified outside of Jane Does #1 and #2. So 34 women were identified as being under 18 at some point but not that anything illegal took place.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2018, 08:53 AM   #315
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

He knew before he said that he believed Epstein because Epstein hung around “interesting” people.

I just want to make sure everyone else knows.
Old 3rd March 2018, 08:57 AM   #316
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
The emails also state that none of the claims of the victims could be verified outside of Jane Does #1 and #2. So 34 women were identified as being under 18 at some point but not that anything illegal took place.

Just two verified underage sex slaves then?

Ok
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:05 AM   #317
d4m10n
Illuminator

He knew before he said that he believed Epstein because Epstein hung around “interesting” people.
How do you know what Krauss knew and when he knew it?
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:11 AM   #318
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

How do you know what Krauss knew and when he knew it?
Because the emails were released in 2015.
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:16 AM   #319
d4m10n
Illuminator

Because the emails were released in 2015.
Four years after this article?

http://skepchick.org/2011/04/lawrenc...ts-everywhere/
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:38 AM   #320
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Oh golly, Krauss and his apologists were making excuses LONG after:

Quote:
More than 30 underage victims were listed in the plea agreement, and if it is dismissed, Epstein will face more federal charges. These charges may be backed up by even more evidence discovered since his plea agreement, like a diary he kept that, according to victims’ attorneys, contained the names and details of many of the underage girls he paid for sex.
Did you read the part where he said Epstein was a VICTIM?

Quote:
I honestly don’t know who was the victim in this case. probably everyone was a victim, with no happy resolution or consequences of these activities.
Poor Epstein.

Man what a pack of *********** scumbags

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events