ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th March 2018, 02:10 PM   #281
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
- Yeah.
- It is the weak evidence I had before. Though, there is a lot more weak evidence out there -- you just got to look for it.
- But again, would you give the reincarnation hypothesis any prior probability at all?

Not without evidence, no.

Jabba, a prior probability isn't, as you seem to think, something you pull from your nether regions; it's an estimate based on the existing evidence.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 02:12 PM   #282
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm pretty sure we could use dark magic to resurrect Thomas Bayes himself and he would not agree to any of Jabba's nonsense.
Old 5th March 2018, 02:18 PM   #283
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm pretty sure we could use dark magic to resurrect Thomas Bayes himself and he would not agree to any of Jabba's nonsense.
Yeah but he wouldn't be the saaaame so it wouldn't count.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 02:21 PM   #284
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah but he wouldn't be the saaaame so it wouldn't count.
Touche.

What if we managed to reincarnate him as a dwarf Filipino hairdresser?
Old 5th March 2018, 02:29 PM   #285
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh, then he's good to go.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 02:44 PM   #286
SOdhner
Graduate Poster

Hey just checking in and saw the way the conversation is heading at the moment. Wanted to let you all know that 31% of my particular self is actually Bayes so I'm a bit of an authority. Of course another 12% was most recently a potted plant in Stockholm but one takes what one can get.

Feel free to ask me anything you need, or more simply you could refer to any of my prior posts since Jabba never really moves on or replies properly anyway. I'll swing by in another week or two maybe!
SOdhner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 02:51 PM   #287
Jabba
Philosopher

The likelihood of my current existence is in regard to a hypothesis, not to actuality.
Originally Posted by godless dave View Post
And that hypothesis is H, and you said in H your brain is a given.
- I should have said that the likelihood of my current self is in regard to a hypothesis, not to actuality.
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 02:53 PM   #288
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

- I should have said that the likelihood of my current self is in regard to a hypothesis, not to actuality.
But in H your self and your brain are the same thing.
Old 5th March 2018, 03:04 PM   #289
Belz...
Fiend God

It makes no difference:

Originally Posted by Jabba
Do you accept that the materialist model is that the brain generates the process?
- Yes.
jond,
- No. Yours is still the Conjunction Fallacy-Fallacy. IOW, I'm not making a Conjunction Fallacy. In my formula, the brain is a given, and it's Probability is 1. So, if I multiplied the brain's probability [P(B)] times the prior probability of .01, I still get .01.
So the brain generates the self under materialism, and the brain has a probability of 1. Thereofre your self has a probability of 1 under materialism. Ergo OOFLAM has a likelihood of 1, ergo your entire theory collapses. Thanks for playing.

Old 5th March 2018, 03:14 PM   #290
Jabba
Philosopher

- Yeah.
- It is the weak evidence I had before. Though, there is a lot more weak evidence out there -- you just got to look for it.
- But again, would you give the reincarnation hypothesis any prior probability at all?
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Not without evidence, no.

Jabba, a prior probability isn't, as you seem to think, something you pull from your nether regions; it's an estimate based on the existing evidence.
Mojo,
- Yeah. I accept that the evidence is weak -- but strong enough to give a prior probability of at least .01.
- And even if you figure that the prior probability is only .0000000001 (but my formula is otherwise correct) the posterior probability of ~OOFLam -- given the current existence of my self --is much greater than the posterior probability of OOFLam -- given the current existence of my self.
Jabba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 03:25 PM   #291
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

but strong enough to give a prior probability of at least .01.
Show how you computed this.

Quote:
...the posterior probability of ~OOFLam -- given the current existence of my self...
...is derived from a purely made-up number. You made it up because it's a very small number, and only because it's a very small number. You did that because your attempt to invent a new number that's both zero and non-zero didn't work. You propose a very small number not because you've computed it to be so, but because you decided ahead of time that it needed to be a small number for your proof to come out the way you needed.

There's no science or math in any of that. It's just begging the question with numbers.

Last edited by JayUtah; 5th March 2018 at 03:34 PM.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 03:26 PM   #292
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

Mojo,
- Yeah. I accept that the evidence is weak -- but strong enough to give a prior probability of at least .01.
Can you show where you did the math to arrive at that figure?

Quote:
- And even if you figure that the prior probability is only .0000000001
Or that figure?

Quote:
(but my formula is otherwise correct)
It isn't.

Quote:
the posterior probability of ~OOFLam -- given the current existence of my self --is much greater than the posterior probability of OOFLam
Can you link to where that was shown? On this page you've said that the likelihood of your existence under materialism is 1. Which is what everyone has been telling you.

Quote:
-- given the current existence of my self.
And the "self", under materialism, is generated by the brain, which is a given. Right.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 03:54 PM   #293
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Mojo,
21 meter salute

Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 05:00 PM   #294
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Mojo,
- And even if you figure that the prior probability is only .0000000001 (but my formula is otherwise correct) the posterior probability of ~OOFLam -- given the current existence of my self --is much greater than the posterior probability of OOFLam -- given the current existence of my self.

Does "OOFLam" include immaterial souls, or is it a model in which your consciousness is produced by your brain?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 05:37 PM   #295
Belz...
Fiend God

Mojo,
You have ZERO evidence. How is that strong enough for anything?

Quote:
Yes, if you plug in made-up numbers which automatically and by definition make ~H more likely, ~H will be more likely. Meanwhile, you admitted that H has a probability of 1, so I don't know why you're still arguing about this.

Old 5th March 2018, 06:21 PM   #296
Jabba
Philosopher

Does "OOFLam" include immaterial souls, or is it a model in which your consciousness is produced by your brain?
Mojo,
- The latter.
- But, if you only have a brain -- which produces your self -- and no immaterial soul, the likelihood of you currently existing is less than 10-100, even though you currently exist. Likelihood isn't based upon actuality; it's based upon the hypothesis being evaluated. Something happens and you wonder how that affects the probability of a particular (and, relevant) hypothesis.
Old 5th March 2018, 06:31 PM   #297
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

But, if you only have a brain -- which produces your self -- and no immaterial soul, the likelihood of you currently existing is less than 10-100...
No, it isn't. That's a number you pulled out of your bunghole. You've done nothing to validly connect it to anything.

Quote:
Likelihood isn't based upon actuality; it's based upon the hypothesis being evaluated.
The hypothesis being evaluated is materialism. Under materialism, having a brain guarantees having a self. You keep trying to replace materialism with a straw man of your own devising. Your critics have finally cornered you into admitting what materialism really is. Now under that admission, your whole argument evaporates -- just as it does for anyone who actually knows how to work these problems instead of vaguely remembering half-finished courses from decades ago.

Quote:
Something happens and you wonder how that affects the probability of a particular (and, relevant) hypothesis.
What happens is that you exist and have a brain. That's the self under materialism. If materialism is the hypothesis on which the likelihood ratio is conditioned, then the likelihood ratio is not some imaginary small number. As you admitted earlier, the weight of evidence is indiscriminate in this case.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 06:32 PM   #298
Jabba
Philosopher

But in H your self and your brain are the same thing.
- In H, your self is produced by your brain -- which is exactly why the likelihood that your self would currently exist -- given H -- is so small.
Old 5th March 2018, 06:32 PM   #299
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

- In H, your self is produced by your brain -- which is exactly why the likelihood that your self would currently exist -- given H -- is so small.
No, that doesn't follow.
Old 5th March 2018, 06:36 PM   #300
Belz...
Fiend God

That is the exact opposite of the logical conclusion. It's like saying that the earth has a great gravity field and that this is exactly why we should be able to fly.

If under materialism the self is produced by the brain, which you already admitted here, and the brain under materialism has a likelihood of 1, which you already admitted here, then the self has a likelihood of 1 under materialism. That destroys your entire, 60-year quest for proving immortality.

Old 5th March 2018, 06:39 PM   #301
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

Likelihood isn't based upon actuality; it's based upon the hypothesis being evaluated. Something happens and you wonder how that affects the probability of a particular (and, relevant) hypothesis.
No. You don't "wonder" how one event affects the probability of another event. You know it. Or you compute it. Instead you just make stuff up. Of course likelihood is based on actuality in the sense that what actually happens or would happen describes how the events A and B should convolve. As I've said now for years, you're literally just making up numbers, applying some poorly-recalled algebra, and pretending you've proven something by it.
Old 5th March 2018, 06:58 PM   #302
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

You told us that the brain was a given. P(B) = 1. And so P(E | H) must equal 1.

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 07:02 PM   #303
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

How can a likelihood of 1 be considered small? You seem to have reverted to gibber, Jabba.
RoboTimbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 10:07 PM   #304
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Mojo,
- The latter.
- But, if you only have a brain -- which produces your self -- and no immaterial soul, the likelihood of you currently existing is less than 10-100, even though you currently exist. Likelihood isn't based upon actuality; it's based upon the hypothesis being evaluated. Something happens and you wonder how that affects the probability of a particular (and, relevant) hypothesis.

According to you, "the brain is a given". That means that the likelihood that you exist under a hypothesis in which consciousness is produced by, and therefore entirely determined by, the brain is 1.

Are you claiming that the brain is a given under your favoured hypothesis, but extremely unlikely under "OOFLam"?

Last edited by Mojo; 5th March 2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 5th March 2018, 10:46 PM   #305
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

The "H" in Jabba's P(E|H) is not materialism. It is a straw"H" believed by nobody invented out of whole cloth for no purpose other than for Jabba to argue. In Jabba's argument, materialism rightly belongs in the set of "~H" because Jabba has specifically excluded materialism from "H".

The argument gets so involved that people forget that Jabba's OOFLAM is not materialism, it is something else that Jabba simply made up.

Thus, in the Jabbaverse, materialism is far more likely than his concocted "H".

Fine by me, but possibly an unintended consequence for Jabba.

I counter propose that Jabba's "H" should be OFF(one finite function).

Jabba wont like this but he can head right OFF because under OFF he is going to die. As are we all.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 02:25 AM   #306
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Mojo,
This remains false, no matter how many times you assert it.

Hans
Old 6th March 2018, 02:28 AM   #307
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Mojo,
- The latter.
This is an extraordinary piece of nonsense. If you currently exist, the likelihood of your current existence is 1.

Hans
Old 6th March 2018, 02:32 AM   #308
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

No. Texas sharpshooter again. You decide to contemplate some specific self, but it could be any self.

The H hypothesis is not that YOU exist and have a self. It is that somebody exists and has a self. You then point to some specific existing self ("you") and draw the target around it.

Hans
Old 6th March 2018, 07:02 AM   #309
Jabba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jsfisher View Post
You told us that the brain was a given. P(B) = 1. And so P(E | H) must equal 1.
js,
- It's certainly a confusing element -- but, in P(E|H), H is the given and we're asking how likely is E, if H is true. And, we can ask that even if E has not occurred.
Old 6th March 2018, 07:13 AM   #310
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

It's certainly a confusing element
The gaslighting doesn't help, Jabba. It's actually a very simple element. The Texas sharpshooter fallacy is one of the most intuitively obvious of all the logical fallacies. Would you care to explain in your own words why it's a fallacy?

Quote:
but, in P(E|H), H is the given and we're asking how likely is E, if H is true. And, we can ask that even if E has not occurred.
Your choice of what E is in your proof depends entirely on its having actually occurred. You're trying to give it significance in retrospect.
Old 6th March 2018, 07:30 AM   #311
Jabba
Philosopher

According to you, "the brain is a given". That means that the likelihood that you exist under a hypothesis in which consciousness is produced by, and therefore entirely determined by, the brain is 1.

Are you claiming that the brain is a given under your favoured hypothesis, but extremely unlikely under "OOFLam"?
- No.
- I'm claiming that my brain is a given in both hypotheses, and the probability of my brain is, therefore, 1 in both.
- Consequently, when I multiply the probability of my brain times the likelihood of the current existence of my self -- given the two different hypotheses -- I'm effectively left with only the likelihoods of each -- i.e., 10-100 for H, and .0062 for ~H.
Old 6th March 2018, 07:32 AM   #312
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

I'm effectively left with only the likelihoods of each -- i.e., 10-100 for H
A number you admit you merely made up.
Old 6th March 2018, 07:32 AM   #313
Jabba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
This remains false, no matter how many times you assert it.

Hans
- How/why is it false?
Old 6th March 2018, 07:33 AM   #314
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing

How/why is it false?
See the various chapters of this thread.
Old 6th March 2018, 07:37 AM   #315
Belz...
Fiend God

js,
- It's certainly a confusing element
There is nothing confusing about it.

Quote:
-- but, in P(E|H), H is the given and we're asking how likely is E, if H is true.
Yes, and since you've admitted that the brain causes the self under H, the odds of your existence under H, in which the brain is a given, is 1.

Old 6th March 2018, 07:38 AM   #316
Belz...
Fiend God

- How/why is it false?
Because you made up the numbers.

This is the seven quadrillionth time that someone has told you this.

Old 6th March 2018, 07:38 AM   #317
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

- How/why is it false?
Because both hypotheses require your current brain to exist. If your current brain did not exist, neither would your self.

Hans
Old 6th March 2018, 08:04 AM   #318
godless dave
Great Dalmuti

OK so the likelilhood of my brain existing under H is very small, and not a given as you said earlier.

What's the likelihood of my brain existing under ~H?
Old 6th March 2018, 08:10 AM   #319
RoboTimbo
Hostile Nanobacon

- No.
- I'm claiming that my brain is a given in both hypotheses, and the probability of my brain is, therefore, 1 in both.
- Consequently, when I multiply the probability of my brain times the likelihood of the current existence of my self -- given the two different hypotheses -- I'm effectively left with only the likelihoods of each -- i.e., 10-100 for H, and .0062 for ~H.
The "self", as you're calling it, is a process of the brain in the materialist hypothesis. So with the brain being a given, the probability of your "self" is 1.

(Materialism) 1 > .0062 (Jabba's made up number for his made up nonsense)

You've proven materialism. Well done.
Old 6th March 2018, 08:19 AM   #320
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

js,
- It's certainly a confusing element -- but, in P(E|H), H is the given and we're asking how likely is E, if H is true. And, we can ask that even if E has not occurred.
No, you are not. What you are asking is how likely is E given a completely ****** up H.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy