ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , lawsuits , Michael Cohen , Stephanie Clifford , Stormy Daniels , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 9th March 2018, 01:45 PM   #241
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
nah, the charge against Edwards was bs, and all Trump has to say is that he did it to keep the news from his wife, and he is sorry and and their relationship is much stronger and he has accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as his Savior.
Has Mr. Trump ever admitted doing anything wrong?
Old 9th March 2018, 01:47 PM   #242
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Trump could be found standing over the corpse of someone he vowed to kill the day before, holding a bloody knife in one hand, the victim's heart in the other, photographed in the process of taking a bite out of said heart, with a letter nearby written in the victim's blood (and covered with Trump's bloody fingerprints) that said, in Trump's handwriting, "I told him I'd kill him and eat his heart!", and he'd still claim innocence.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:48 PM   #243
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
He won't ever do the highlighted. How does that figure into your math?
Oh golly, I am hoping that he just goes ahead and pardons himself for all acts arising out of "putting ranch dressing in Stormy's Hidden Valley," but i know he can actually act all contrite while not really meaning it.
Old 9th March 2018, 01:49 PM   #244
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

For one, I bit Edwards had better lawyers. This arrangement sounds like something Trump hatched and pushed on his lawyers, not something proposed by a good lawyer.
Admittedly there don't seem to be any good lawyers involved on Trumps side.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:51 PM   #245
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He won't ever do the highlighted. How does that figure into your math?
We will see when it comes out exactly what this was supposed to get her to keep private. There are things about photographs and documents in the settlement.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:51 PM   #246
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
About the closest that I have ever seen Trump to admit to making a mistake is when he told Sean Spicer to lie about the crowd size at his inauguration. Trump did eventually say to his staff by saying something like 'I shouldn't have told him to do that'.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:51 PM   #247
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Oh golly, I am hoping that he just goes ahead and pardons himself for all acts arising out of "putting ranch dressing in Stormy's Hidden Valley," but i know he can actually act all contrite while not really meaning it.
No, he really isn't good at admitting fault. Seriously, he has many skills, this just isn't one of them.

Did you see the news conference where he was forced to say that Obama may have been a US citizen?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:52 PM   #248
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
I believe he thought he was mistaken once.
Old 9th March 2018, 01:53 PM   #249
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
About the closest that I have ever seen Trump to admit to making a mistake is when he told Sean Spicer to lie about the crowd size at his inauguration. Trump did eventually say to his staff by saying something like 'I shouldn't have told him to do that'.
Fortunately he has a better liar now.
Old 9th March 2018, 01:56 PM   #250
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Lastly, Trump is likely seen as a far less sympathetic defendant. What with being a Nazi-loving pussy grabber and all.
Less sympathetic than John *********** Edwards? Edwards had an extramarital affair and fathered a child while his wife was dying of cancer.
Yes he did. And Trump had an extramarital affair when his wife was at home with their new child. Plus it was the latest in a string of affairs.

Not to mention the fact that this is only the latest in a long series of legal/financial issues that Trump has been involved in (Trump U, illegal use of Trump foundation funds, the whole "I let Putin do to me what I did to Daniels"). Edwards had nowhere near the record of troubles that Trump did. While the judge would probably tell people to "rule only on the evidence", I'm pretty sure all that other stuff will affect people's perceptions.

Plus, Trump acts like a con-man. Not everyone is willing to fall for that.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:56 PM   #251
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Trump could be found standing over the corpse of someone he vowed to kill the day before, holding a bloody knife in one hand, the victim's heart in the other, photographed in the process of taking a bite out of said heart, with a letter nearby written in the victim's blood (and covered with Trump's bloody fingerprints) that said, in Trump's handwriting, "I told him I'd kill him and eat his heart!", and he'd still claim innocence.
If he said all the red stuff dripping from the heart was ketchup we'd believe that.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 02:02 PM   #252
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

No, he really isn't good at admitting fault. Seriously, he has many skills, this just isn't one of them.

Did you see the news conference where he was forced to say that Obama may have been a US citizen?
I'm sorry, I freely admit I was wrong. I trusted the wrong people and that was my mistake, and if anything my primary fault is that I am too generous and too trusting, and that has often left me open to being taken advantage of by unscrupulous people who are all too willing to hurt people, even the best people.

/Obama was a whATT??
Old 9th March 2018, 02:13 PM   #253
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'm sorry, I freely admit I was wrong. I trusted the wrong people and that was my mistake, and if anything my primary fault is that I am too generous and too trusting, and that has often left me open to being taken advantage of by unscrupulous people who are all too willing to hurt people, even the best people.

/Obama was a whATT??
Maybe you should offer your services, because that sounds a lot better than this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2016-37381452

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 02:13 PM   #254
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/798.02

798.02 Lewd and lascivious behavior.—If any man and woman, not being married to each other, lewdly and lasciviously associate and cohabit together,
This law seems to make it illegal for any hetero couple to live together and have sex without being married.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 02:31 PM   #255
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

That sounds plausible. Is it based on her filing or other statements from her?
Probably Wishful thinking.
Old 9th March 2018, 02:38 PM   #256
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

nah, the charge against Edwards was bs, and all Trump has to say is that he did it to keep the news from his wife, and he is sorry and and their relationship is much stronger and he has accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as his Savior.
Like the part about lying about your religion faith.
Old 9th March 2018, 02:50 PM   #257
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think she could be prosecuted. Past the the statute of limitations, I would assume. Just don't know that she would want to be known as a prostitute.

that sounds plausible. Is it based on her filing or other statements from her?
You know it, she gave an interview with some magazine, where Donald was all like "I can get you on my show" and she was like "oh no.... I couldn't" and pretty soon he was bending her over the pickle barrel and showing her the 50 states.
Old 9th March 2018, 02:52 PM   #258
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Like the part about lying about your religion faith.
oh i don't know that at that point he'd be lying. Heck, even better he could say that he was converting to Catholicism to in honor of his wife!

Man, he should hire me
Old 9th March 2018, 02:58 PM   #259
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Admittedly there don't seem to be any good lawyers involved on Trumps side.
There can't be - clearly if they work with trumpf they are no better than rotted ********. And that's not good in any interpretation of the word.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 03:11 PM   #260
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

oh i don't know that at that point he'd be lying. Heck, even better he could say that he was converting to Catholicism to in honor of his wife!

Man, he should hire me
Your work here is certainly better than his "best people". But I still wouldn't quit your day job.

Old 9th March 2018, 03:31 PM   #261
dann
Illuminator

Maybe you should offer your services, because that sounds a lot better than this:

Hillary made me do it!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 04:22 PM   #262
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

It was all Hillary's fault.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 04:34 PM   #263
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The adultery issue is irrelevant, other than to further point out the hypocrisy of the religious right. What's more significant is that Trump is in a bind: it's going to be difficult to enforce the agreement without admitting to it. And he's never learned the first rule of holes.
Old 9th March 2018, 05:12 PM   #264
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The adultery issue is irrelevant, other than to further point out the hypocrisy of the religious right.
Can anyone explain to me how it is irrelevant, given that Essential Consultants was formed exclusively to cover it up?
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 05:23 PM   #265
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Can anyone explain to me how it is irrelevant, given that Essential Consultants was formed exclusively to cover it up?
Oh, I suppose it's relevant in that Trump needed to cover up this specific instance to ensure his election. It's not relevant criminally.
Old 9th March 2018, 05:29 PM   #266
d4m10n
Illuminator

Oh, I suppose it's relevant in that Trump needed to cover up this specific instance to ensure his election. It's not relevant criminally.
IANAL but don't think an LLC gets to enforce their rights in court if they were not formed for any lawful purpose.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 05:36 PM   #267
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

IANAL but don't think an LLC gets to enforce their rights in court if they were not formed for any lawful purpose.
The claim that the payment related to covering up criminal adultery is specious. Let it go.
Old 9th March 2018, 05:41 PM   #268
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The claim that the payment related to covering up criminal adultery is specious. Let it go.
But continuing the claim likely causes strain on The Hair's relationship with its wife and potentially opens the specter of a divorce and custody battle with a sitting president.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 05:46 PM   #269
d4m10n
Illuminator

What was the payment intended to do, in your view?
Old 9th March 2018, 05:54 PM   #270
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
But continuing the claim likely causes strain on The Hair's relationship with its wife and potentially opens the specter of a divorce and custody battle with a sitting president.
Dream big, Craig4. Divorce, a custody battle, and impeachment by the puritans in congress.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 05:59 PM   #271
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

What was the payment intended to do, in your view?
Just avoid some adverse publicity right before the election. The state of New York was not and is not going to charge him with adultery under an obsolete law.
Old 9th March 2018, 06:05 PM   #272
d4m10n
Illuminator

Just avoid some adverse publicity right before the election. The state of New York was not and is not going to charge him with adultery under an obsolete law.
Adverse publicity due to what, exactly?
Old 9th March 2018, 06:20 PM   #273
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Man, he should hire me
Considering your knack for describing so many different ways to do the nasty, perhaps Stormy Daniels should hire you!
Old 9th March 2018, 08:18 PM   #274
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Adverse publicity due to what, exactly?
The same stuff she told in touch magazine.

Unseemly? Maybe, criminal? Of course not.

If he can avoid tweeting about it, the fact that he went for the pin from the deep rough will drop off the front page in a couple of days.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 9th March 2018 at 08:21 PM.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 08:35 PM   #275
d4m10n
Illuminator

The same stuff she told in touch magazine.
Presumably you mean the violations of NY PEN § 255.17 
Old 9th March 2018, 08:42 PM   #276
portlandatheist
Master Poster

I am totally confused. How can hush money for infidelity and an NDA possibly be legally binding? Is that even possible? Aren't NDAs for intellectual property and trade secrets and the like? How could anybody possibly force somebody not to let the cat out of the bag in a case of infidelity?
Even if it is legally binding, it is a lose lose situation for Trump. She can just break the NDA, get sued for it and still come out on top.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 08:44 PM   #277
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Presumably you mean the violations of NY PEN § 255.17 
Oh yeah that, totally. Trump is on the actual cusp of getting arrested for that.

That does it, you totes broke the case wide open.

Sure the statute of limitations ran, it allegedly happened in another state, and is totally unconstitutional based on the precedent of the gay marriage case, but yeah, keep running with that argument, seriously.
Old 9th March 2018, 08:46 PM   #278
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Trump derangement syndrome, damn...
Old 9th March 2018, 09:35 PM   #279
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I must admit the probability of this leading to impeachment and/or criminal charges in the future seem very unlikely. If the Dems win the House, it could lead to impeachement, but not a conviction in the Senate. However, that would only happen if the Democratic leadership was just as stupid as the Republican leadership 20 years ago. Clinton should never have been impeached, and Trump shouldn't be impeached for this.

When the case for impeachment has to be explained to people so that they understand that something that looks like one thing is really something else, it won't convince 2/3 of the Senate to overturn an election. In this case, what seems to be happening is that people are seeming to insist that a simple case of paying hush money and concealing it by creating some shell game to make it harder to follow is actually an unreported campaign contribution. It won't fly. As for the "criminal adultery" line of thought, that's just ludicrous.

And once again I am assuming that he paid Stormy Daniels using his own money. If that turns out not to be the case, things could end differently.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 09:40 PM   #280
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
I am totally confused. How can hush money for infidelity and an NDA possibly be legally binding? Is that even possible? Aren't NDAs for intellectual property and trade secrets and the like?
I've been wondering the same thing. Gazanga says it isn't an NDA, and that makes sense to me, but the press is calling it an NDA. I have been wondering if there is such a thing as a legally binding contract that forces someone into silence based on something with no inherent value. (In other words, agreeing not to give up intellectual property makes sense. Agreeing to never tell about your sex life? Is that legally binding? I suppose. It just seems strange to me.)
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics