ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags louis farrakhan

Old 8th March 2018, 04:20 PM   #1
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It's Ok To Be An Anti Semite If Your Name is Louis Farrakhan...

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-semitism.html

The Women's March just lost a huge amount of creditbility with this stupidity.

I find it incredible that anybody who calls him or her self a "Progressive" would continue to support Louis The Louse with his long history of bigotry.

Lets be honest:Farrakhan gets away with outrageous crap in the eyes of some progressives because he is black. IMHO, it is only proof that hatred and bigotry comes in all flavors, and can infect somebody regardless of race, color or creed.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 04:24 PM   #2
Stankeye
Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
[url]
Lets be honest:Farrakhan gets away with outrageous crap in the eyes of some progressives because he is black. IMHO, it is only proof that hatred and bigotry comes in all flavors, and can infect somebody regardless of race, color or creed.
To be blunt you need to redefine the above but add power. Without it, I hear, one can never be accused of almost anything.
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 04:28 PM   #3
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

I'm reminded of Annie Hall:
She has a right to steal from us! Who can she steal from if not from us?

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 04:30 PM   #4
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stankeye View Post
To be blunt you need to redefine the above but add power. Without it, I hear, one can never be accused of almost anything.
Oh, please, not this "You can't be a bigot unless you are in a position of power" crap.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 04:45 PM   #5
Stankeye
Thinker

Oh, please, not this "You can't be a bigot unless you are in a position of power" crap.
I thought your question was why "progressives" still support him? Which I thought you answered because he was black, and I furthered that by saying he has no power.

I think they are both the same to some progressives, but I could be wrong.

Maybe if we just yell Hypocrites, that will solve it.
Stankeye is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 04:51 PM   #6
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

OK, I will say it is hypocritical to claim to be gainst bigotry of all forms and then support Farrakhan.
But I don't get what the hell you are diving at.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th March 2018, 05:01 PM   #7
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Farrakhan is still alive? I thought he'd died years ago!
Old 8th March 2018, 05:10 PM   #8
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stankeye View Post
Damn. I was about to say something along these lines.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 05:20 PM   #9
ddt
Mafia Penguin

To be fair, Farrakhan seems to be an equal opportunity bigot. Only misogyny seems to be missing on the list on the article. Oh wait... which makes it more curious that the Women's March won't denounce him.

But why is the guy, and Nation of Islam, still an issue and not long sunk into obscurity?
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 05:57 PM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
To be fair, Farrakhan seems to be an equal opportunity bigot. Only misogyny seems to be missing on the list on the article. Oh wait... which makes it more curious that the Women's March won't denounce him.

But why is the guy, and Nation of Islam, still an issue and not long sunk into obscurity?
Because, sad to say, the Alpha Hotel does have a following among the angrier section of the Afro America Community.
And,equally sad, there are some "Progressives" who think it is "racist" for a white man ever to criticize a black man over anything. SO they give Louie the Louse a pass.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th March 2018, 05:58 PM   #11
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Damn. I was about to say something along these lines.
I don't see how anybody could read Farrkahn's rants about the Jews..which would fit in perfectly in Nazi Germany..and deny the guy is a bigot.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th March 2018, 05:59 PM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Farrakhan is still alive? I thought he'd died years ago!
Sadly, that is not the case.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th March 2018, 05:59 PM   #13
Stacko
Philosopher

It's something that news agencies should look into but I don't think they'll spare anyone from the obscure Trump voter beat.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 06:12 PM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't see how anybody could read Farrkahn's rants about the Jews..which would fit in perfectly in Nazi Germany..and deny the guy is a bigot.
Nobody's denying he's a bigot. They're just denying that they need to denounce his bigotry. That women's movement said as much.

You'd think that the organization that marched on Washington in pussy hats would be the first to throw Farrakhan under the bus, but apparently they think otherwise.

Last edited by theprestige; 8th March 2018 at 06:14 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 06:16 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Nobody's denying he's a bigot. They're just denying that they need to denounce his bigotry. That women's movement said as much.

You'd think that the organization that marched on Washington in pussy hats would be the first to throw Farrakhan under the bus, but apparently they think otherwise.
One organization said as much, not the whole woman's movement.
SOmebody's dislike of women being uppity is showing.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 8th March 2018, 06:22 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

One organization said as much, not the whole woman's movement.
SOmebody's dislike of women being uppity is showing.
Not at all. I used movement synonymously with organization. I apologize for the confusion. I hope you no longer think less of me in consequence.

Also, feel free to speak plainly to me, if you think you have something to say.

Last edited by theprestige; 8th March 2018 at 06:24 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 06:28 PM   #17
Belz...
Fiend God

Well, a lot of people on the left-wing would say that he can't be a bigot because racism and sexism and whatnot need bigotry + power. It's ridiculous, but that's the point I was making.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 06:47 PM   #18
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

He was defending women on record as early as '53:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

https://www.allmusic.com/album/calyp...4-mw0001115375

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 08:22 PM   #19
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-semitism.html

The Women's March just lost a huge amount of creditbility with this stupidity.

I find it incredible that anybody who calls him or her self a "Progressive" would continue to support Louis The Louse with his long history of bigotry.

For those who didn’t drink the koolaid, “progressives” lost credibility along time ago.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 09:46 PM   #20
Mumbles
Philosopher

In truth? that'll take some time...

Remember how everyone keeps saying that Dolt 45's victory is about "economic anxiety", even when it's repeatedly pointed out that no, support for him actually tracks very well with racism against nonwhite people, and not at all with any economic indicator?

The NOI is an example of an actual economically deprived group can turn to brazen bigotry - and can actually be half-right much of the time. This is what I mean when I say "racism is childish" - take a good premise, an absolutely batty premise, and follow them to a batty conclusion. Add this with the usual anti-Semitic nonsense and some religious nonsense, and you get a lot of Farrakhan's teachings.

Take the clip in this tweet that gets passed around. - and to warn you, this is a tweet directly from Farrakhan's official twitter account Yes, it's antisemitic - but if you go at it like that, the NOI people will immediately point to COINTELPRO, the move against "Black Identity Extremists", Trump's attempts to downplay white supremacist groups, point out that he's loved by Bibi Netanyahu, his "jew son in law and daughter" and blah blah.

And the problem is, most people rarely go at all beyond "He's antisemitic"!

Think of it as less "Obama wants cops to be murdered, how horrible!" stupid bigotry, and more Moon Landing deniers. Some of their premises *are* realistic or outright correct, but others are just fantasy-world nonsense - in his case, plainly bigoted nonsense.

If anything, I'd expect them to thrive in an environment like this - and Farrakhan explicitly stated the same, pointing to Toupee Fiasco as a reason for black Americans to form their own separate country.

And as to why he's still tolerated among some political spots? Well, he does represent a part of constituents, like it or not (I strongly dislike it). And even I kinda roll my eyes when the same people who said "economic anxiety" explained Dolt 45 and giving us loving write-ups on how misunderstood the rural white man is, then spin around and insist that NOI is pure, out-of-nowhere racism. And unlike the usual gangs and supremacist groups, he does tend to turn violent criminals into relatively decent people - the NOI has hateful teachings, but are rarely seen attacking synagogues or slashing people on Portland public transit rail cars, just to be clear on what they're relatively good in comparison to. It's also worth noting that Farrakhan was one of very few people with national standing who spoke directly to black men about not killing one another at the height of the 1990s - see his work resolving violent rap beefs, the Million Man March, and so forth.

Still don't know where all the money he raised from that march went to, though...

As for their (outdated) view of women - well, early forms of black feminism in the US tended to have very different concerns from early white feminism - being able to work outside the home was less of an issue, racialized sexual assault a very real risk rather than an excuse to murder people of another race using the still-fashionable "brute/thug" stereotype, etc.

And now to be clear on where I stand on him: His view of feminism is, at best, laughably outdated (and hotep-y, in that he outright bashes feminism in total). He's still *far* too friendly towards despots, he still sold out to crap like Scientology, he still had Malcolm X murdered, and so forth. Basically, he's the type of scum that far too many people accused Dolt 45 of being, while Dolt 45 is the type of scum that people accuse *him* of being, and I'd still be happy if he were to fade into obscurity. But the above is stuff I learned by talking to actual NOI members and sympathizers.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 09:49 PM   #21
Venom
Graduate Poster

My main issue with Farrakhan is his conspiracy ******** he spreads among his followers and admirers.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th March 2018, 10:07 PM   #22
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Perhaps we’re being too hard on Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam.

I’m sure some of them are very fine people.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 01:00 AM   #23
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Quote:
Why Won’t Women’s March Leaders Denounce Louis Farrakhan’s Anti-Semitism?

By Jesse Singal
NYMag Writer Deletes Twitter Account After Accused of Harassment
Quote:
Over the past two years, Singal has been writing critically about transgender issues for NYMag, earning him accusations of transphobia from certain quarters. Amid accusations of bigotry towards transgender people, allegations have surfaced that Singal’s inquiries into the topic went far beyond simple research, and in some cases bordered on harassment...

The allegations against Singal aren’t exactly new. Last year, Jamie Walton, the female founder of an anti-sex trafficking organization accused the NYMag writer of behaving in a predatory manner.

The NYMag writer falsely blamed the GamerGate movement for Nintendo’s decision to fire one of its employees who was moonlighting as a prostitute. The claim was later proven false, and earned Singal the moniker of “Virtue Singal.”

During his investigation into GamerGate, Singal conflated Walton with the movement. Walton alleged that Singal “hounded me with fake nice emails and tweets trying to get me on record,” adding that he “behaves like a predator rather than a journalist. So glad I ignored him entirely.”
Why Won’t New York Magazine's Leaders Denounce Jesse Singal's Bigotry Towards Women?

The NYMag just lost a huge amount of creditbility with this stupidity.
Old 9th March 2018, 01:58 AM   #24
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
NYMag Writer Deletes Twitter Account After Accused of HarassmentWhy Won’t New York Magazine's Leaders Denounce Jesse Singal's Bigotry Towards Women?

The NYMag just lost a huge amount of creditbility with this stupidity.
Milo? Naaaaah

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 02:43 AM   #25
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Milo? Naaaaah
Ian Miles Cheong (the author of the piece) isn't exactly the most trustworthy guy, either. What this has to do with Farrakhan is anyone's guess...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 05:03 AM   #26
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Perhaps we’re being too hard on Farrakhan and the Nation of Islam.

I’m sure some of them are very fine people.
He did support Trump, and it is nice to see how Trump can bring Nazi's, Zionists and the Nation of Islam together. A true Smorgasboard of hate.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 06:09 AM   #27
Cayvmann
Muse

Thank you for saying 'some' progressives. I believe your point is correct.
Cayvmann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 06:10 AM   #28
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Well certainly from this thread it is obvious that it is not OK for Farrakhan to be a bigot.
Old 9th March 2018, 06:53 AM   #29
C_Felix
Master Poster

Does anybody around here...or did anybody around here claim for Farrakhan to still be relevant?
Old 9th March 2018, 07:35 AM   #30
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Is there such a thing as a progressive with a recognizable name who thinks it's ok to be an anti-Semite if your name is Farrakhan?
Old 9th March 2018, 07:36 AM   #31
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Does anybody around here...or did anybody around here claim for Farrakhan to still be relevant?
I hadn't even heard of this guy until yesterday.

Old 9th March 2018, 09:33 AM   #32
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Is there such a thing as a progressive with a recognizable name who thinks it's ok to be an anti-Semite if your name is Farrakhan?
My anti-semitism used to be a massive social hindrance for me until I changed my name to Farrakhan. Now my anti-semitism makes the chicks swoon on the pussy hat march.

You too can make your anti-semitism work for you!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 09:35 AM   #33
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
My anti-semitism used to be a massive social hindrance for me until I changed my name to Farrakhan. Now my anti-semitism makes the chicks swoon on the pussy hat march.

You too can make your anti-semitism work for you!

Old 9th March 2018, 10:21 AM   #34
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Well, the Women's March organization seems to think he's still relevant:
-- Women's March leaders attend his events
-- Their denunciation(?) of him is surprisingly weak, and stresses the importance of not letting divisions spring up between them.

It's reasonable to infer that they think he's relevant, and that they think it's important to not alienate other people who think he's relevant.

And I think we can all agree that the Women's March is certainly relevant today. From there, it seems reasonable to conclude that anyone the Women's March considers relevant is, in fact, relevant.

And given the amount of asininity and inanity on this board, I don't think a Member's ignorance of Farrakhan is a reliable indicator of his relevance.
Old 9th March 2018, 10:23 AM   #35
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
And given the amount of asininity and inanity on this board, I don't think a Member's ignorance of Farrakhan is a reliable indicator of his relevance.
You wound me!

Old 9th March 2018, 11:23 AM   #36
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

The Women's March was never anything but a leftist front group, and publicly at least, there are no enemies on the Left. Calling out Farrakhan does nothing to further the mission of the group, which is to oppose Trump and the GOP.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 11:54 AM   #37
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
The Women's March was never anything but a leftist front group, and publicly at least, there are no enemies on the Left. Calling out Farrakhan does nothing to further the mission of the group, which is to oppose Trump and the GOP.
But Farrakhan supports Trump.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.2851ad0fc85c

"Late 2016 saw Farrakhan make his first appearance ever on the “Alex Jones Show.” The interview came after Farrakhan released a video on Twitter referencing Jones’ refusal to hand over his guns to the federal government. During the interview, Farrakhan expressed his thoughts on the 2016 presidential candidates and proceeded to make a comparison between modern day politicians and women you see “in any major city, undressed showing their wares for a John to buy them.” During February 2017’s Saviour’s Day event, he changed his tone and publicly expressed his liking for Donald Trump claiming “Trump ‘is the only member who has stood in front of the Jewish Community and said, ‘I don’t want your money.’” He seemed to put aside the issue of Trump’s travel ban that initially targeted people from seven majority Muslim countries and claimed he did not endorse the candidate but he liked what he saw."

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...ouis-farrakhan
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 12:17 PM   #38
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But Farrakhan supports Trump.
Not really. From your second link:

Quote:
In December of 2016, just days after Trump won the presidency, he spoke to his followers and assured them that Trump’s presidential win presented an opening for other black people to realize it was time to separate from “White America.” Farrakhan saw Trump’s rhetoric as a much-needed push that would enlighten others to join his movement, “My message to Trump: Push it real good, push it so that black people say, ‘I’m out of here. I can’t take it no more.’”
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 12:21 PM   #39
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Well, a lot of people on the left-wing would say that he can't be a bigot because racism and sexism and whatnot need bigotry + power. It's ridiculous, but that's the point I was making.
I'm pretty sure this criteria was developed specifically to deny the racism/sexism of people for whom it's inconvenient to acknowledge their racism/sexism.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2018, 12:23 PM   #40
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Not really. From your second link:
Exactly he agrees with noted Trump Supporter Richard Spencer. Trump is really into big tent ethnonationalism.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics