ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th March 2018, 11:03 AM   #81
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Know why the Easter Bunny hides his eggs?

He doesn't want anyone to know he's been screwing chickens.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 11:10 AM   #82
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Chocolate Easter Bunnies having some troubles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b336aa8a765c5953ae631c0fca3428b6.jpg (35.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 10th March 2018, 12:16 PM   #83
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
In the UK it's all Easter Eggs and Easter Bunnies too, I don't think the issue is whether it is a common image in the culture but rather whether it is believed by children to be real, two distinct concepts.
Oh you see the chocolate rabbits all the time. Sure. But does anyone ever tell the kids that there is a story behind it, real or imagined? I've never heard it happen. My wife is a primary school teacher and she says the school kids don't have any idea why there are lots of chocolate rabbits kicking around in March/ April. I don't think the story is even told to kids, so the question of whether they believe it is moot.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 12:48 PM   #84
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Oh you see the chocolate rabbits all the time. Sure. But does anyone ever tell the kids that there is a story behind it, real or imagined? I've never heard it happen. My wife is a primary school teacher and she says the school kids don't have any idea why there are lots of chocolate rabbits kicking around in March/ April. I don't think the story is even told to kids, so the question of whether they believe it is moot.
Ah. See the easter bunny baloney is an American bucket of commercial baloney that USian businesses seek to exploit and impose on everyone else in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

Interestingly, it's origin is religious. If like TBD one is catholic, then the end of "lent" is the start of an orgy of base consumption to compensate for weeks of self denial over the course of the preceding weeks. Weirdly, "Pancake Tuesday" is equally a planned excess at the start of "lent" to stock up on carbs before the onset of pointless voluntary deprivation.

"Deprivation"? No, not even slightly. Catholics give up such trivialities as sugar in coffee as a deprivation, somehow. Odd, since I never put sugar in coffee anyway. It would hardly be punitive.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 12:59 PM   #85
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Ah. See the easter bunny baloney is an American bucket of commercial baloney that USian businesses seek to exploit and impose on everyone else in pursuit of the almighty dollar.
The consumer really gets their moneys worth. It's a great time for kids and parents. So much fun and love and chocolate and marshmallow. It's an American tradition to make colored Easter Eggs.

If it were all cancelled to end the commercial exploitation there would be a lot of unhappiness. As if Scrooge or The Grinch had gotten their way.

America loves it and you naysayers can kiss our ass.
Old 10th March 2018, 01:13 PM   #86
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The consumer really gets their moneys worth. It's a great time for kids and parents. So much fun and love and chocolate and marshmallow. It's an American tradition to make colored Easter Eggs.

If it were all cancelled to end the commercial exploitation there would be a lot of unhappiness. As if Scrooge or The Grinch had gotten their way.

Sure. the Americans can do that as much as they like. Imposing it on everyone else? not so much.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 01:18 PM   #87
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

It is extremely common in America. Even for the nonreligious. Chocolate Easter Bunnies are sold in the bazillions of tons. There is a whole retail world of things related to Easter and the Bunny is the prominent character. The White House has an annual Easter Egg Hunt and those eggs come from the Easter Bunny.

Mike, it's really huge in the USA.
And I really wish the EB would crank out Fruit & Nut Eggs and Pecan covered caramel/maple Eggs & Coconut Cream Eggs like in the 50s-70's!!!!! Stuff since then is pointless. (These are available through specialized companies but are much more expensive and not nearly as good!!!!!)

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 01:21 PM   #88
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

We manage to get |Easter bunnies and eggs without any significant belief in the supernatural entities.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 01:30 PM   #89
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Sure. the Americans can do that as much as they like. Imposing it on everyone else? not so much.
Nobody is really forced to participate. You could refuse to buy or eat the delicious candies. You could say no to coloring the eggs. I don't think we impose the Bunny on foreign peoples.

Originally Posted by jimbob
We manage to get |Easter bunnies and eggs without any significant belief in the supernatural entities.
My family is nonreligious. We celebrate Easter as a family get-together and everyone has the day off work anyway. There is no religion or supernatural anything going on for us. The youngest toddlers might "believe" in the Easter Bunny but that won't last long.
Old 10th March 2018, 01:32 PM   #90
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The America-hating that is common on ISF is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in my life.
Old 10th March 2018, 01:44 PM   #91
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The America-hating that is common on ISF is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in my life.
Most Americans are terrible.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 01:56 PM   #92
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Nobody is really forced to participate. You could refuse to buy or eat the delicious candies. You could say no to coloring the eggs. I don't think we impose the Bunny on foreign peoples.

My family is nonreligious. We celebrate Easter as a family get-together and everyone has the day off work anyway. There is no religion or supernatural anything going on for us. The youngest toddlers might "believe" in the Easter Bunny but that won't last long.
Read the story in the OP. The Canadian couple initially had their foster kids removed because they refused to say that the Easter Bunny was real (because their religion forbade them from lying).
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 02:02 PM   #93
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Read the story in the OP. The Canadian couple initially had their foster kids removed because they refused to say that the Easter Bunny was real (because their religion forbade them from lying).
The OP story is totally removed from what is typical and normal. It doesn't represent anything that one should expect. It's a unicorn.
Old 10th March 2018, 02:13 PM   #94
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

The OP story is totally removed from what is typical and normal. It doesn't represent anything that one should expect. It's a unicorn.
It was actually your previous post that led me to think it was a bigger thing in the US

Plenty of kids did (in past generations) and still do (present generation) believe that the Easter Bunny is a real entity. But like Santa, the belief doesn't last for very long.
Old 10th March 2018, 02:15 PM   #95
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Not all of us, anyway.

Easter used to be one of the biggies but interest in celebrating it seems to have declined quite a bit, at least in these parts. Used be as the holiday approaches, stores would stock up on all your easter accessories and tons of candy. Most stores now just carry the candy - I haven't seen an egg dye kit in years, for instance.

For my family, the fun part of easter was the Saturday night before, when we kids got to make our own colored eggs. Mom would collect the eggs afterward and say the Easter Bunny needs hide them now. Looking back on it, my siblings, cousins and I (most of us, anyway) worked out on our own that these eggs weren't delivered to some giant invisible rabbit who'd hide them in our yard. Or as Robin Williams said:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

We had similar views on Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

Nice to learn easter egg hunts aren't a thing in other parts of the world. Truly didn't know that.
Old 10th March 2018, 02:22 PM   #96
kellyb
Philosopher

Here in the Bible Belt, not much has changed, but in the age of pinterest, everyone uses food coloring now to dye eggs for more vibrant color.Our ritual is the bunny leaving a basket Sat night overnight, and in the morning everyone dying eggs and doing a series of hunts that afternoon.
Old 10th March 2018, 02:22 PM   #97
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
Not all of us, anyway.

Easter used to be one of the biggies but interest in celebrating it seems to have declined quite a bit, at least in these parts. Used be as the holiday approaches, stores would stock up on all your easter accessories and tons of candy. Most stores now just carry the candy - I haven't seen an egg dye kit in years, for instance.

For my family, the fun part of easter was the Saturday night before, when we kids got to make our own colored eggs. Mom would collect the eggs afterward and say the Easter Bunny needs hide them now. Looking back on it, my siblings, cousins and I (most of us, anyway) worked out on our own that these eggs weren't delivered to some giant invisible rabbit who'd hide them in our yard. Or as Robin Williams said:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

We had similar views on Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.

Nice to learn easter egg hunts aren't a thing in other parts of the world. Truly didn't know that.
Kids probably do all their egg-dyeing on their iPhones with an app, then they hide the virtual eggs in augmented reality.

Also, hunting for eggs normally involves going outside which is something I seldom see kids doing these days. It can be a perfect weather Saturday afternoon and there won't be a single kid outside anywhere in sight as I drive through my neighborhood.
Old 10th March 2018, 03:16 PM   #98
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
We traditionally had it in the UK, still do as far as I know. We also have egg rolling and a Northern traditional game called 'Egg Tapping' which is (was?) like conkers but with painted eggs.
Old 10th March 2018, 03:25 PM   #99
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

Also, hunting for eggs normally involves going outside which is something I seldom see kids doing these days. It can be a perfect weather Saturday afternoon and there won't be a single kid outside anywhere in sight as I drive through my neighborhood.
Kids in suburbs are like that now, but here in the city "proper" kids still play outside like they have for always. Only difference is the roaming boundaries are shorter distances.
Old 10th March 2018, 05:06 PM   #100
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Mixed things to report from Australia... the supermarkets are full of Easter-themed stuff, but we also get Halloween stuff etc...

One year, quite recently, I walked the dogs on an Easter Sunday, in between summer thunderstorms.

To my amazement, I saw a considerable number of foil wrapped eggs, some quite large, travelling along the side of the road, floating in the storm water, and disappearing into the storm drain on the corner.

It was quite surreal, and I was feeling sad for the rest of the day, mainly wondering if there were a set of very disappointed children somewhere nearby.

I would suggest to me that there are at least some people in my suburb that set up Easter-egg hunts, unless someone else can come up with another explanation as to why those eggs were washed away by the storm...
Old 10th March 2018, 05:15 PM   #101
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Mixed things to report from Australia... the supermarkets are full of Easter-themed stuff, but we also get Halloween stuff etc...
What are your feelings about Halloween, as an Australian?

I had a friend in Oz several years ago who was kind of livid about this "awful American holiday" where "children are encouraged to beg door to door" showing up in Australia. lol
Old 10th March 2018, 06:08 PM   #102
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post

One year, quite recently, I walked the dogs on an Easter Sunday, in between summer thunderstorms.

To my amazement, I saw a considerable number of foil wrapped eggs, some quite large, travelling along the side of the road, floating in the storm water, and disappearing into the storm drain on the corner.

It was quite surreal, and I was feeling sad for the rest of the day, mainly wondering if there were a set of very disappointed children somewhere nearby.

I would suggest to me that there are at least some people in my suburb that set up Easter-egg hunts, unless someone else can come up with another explanation as to why those eggs were washed away by the storm...
They were for the children in the sewers with Pennywise...
Old 10th March 2018, 06:13 PM   #103
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Is the easter bunny thing really a social norm? I had to look it up on wikipedia to find out what it was all about. Seriously. No-one has ever talked about the easter bunny to me, or in my earshot. How widespread a thing is it?
In the United States, yes, and has been at least since the 1960s, when I believed in the Easter Bunny. I don't know when it started.

I think actual belief in the Easter Bunny is probably less widespread than Santa Claus, but the idea of the Easter Bunny as universal Easter/spring symbolism is quite normal here. You can go to shopping malls and have your kid's picture taken with the Easter Bunny.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 06:35 PM   #104
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
well the tradition of Paschal Eggs finds its roots in the 4th Century in the newly formed Christian Churches in Mesopotamia, so...
Paschal Eggs go back farther than that, at least sort of.

History of religion trivia time. You might know this. Lots of other people will. Some will not. Here goes.

The Hebrew word for Passover is Pesach. From that, we get "paschal". It means, "of Pesach".

On Pesach (yes, we still call it Pesach), we have a seder plate. One of the items on it is an egg. I don't know exactly when the egg became part of the seder plate, but it was at least earlier than the 4th century. The association of Easter with eggs is at least that old.

And of course eggs have a rather obvious connection with new life, and in some traditions rebirth, so it works pretty well. In other words eggs and Easter didn't have one, single, pre-Christian association. There were multiple sources.

We do not have a rabbit on the seder plate, so I don't know where that came from.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2018, 06:39 PM   #105
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I strongly suspect that there is a lot more to the OP story than not teaching them about the Easter Bunny. The symbol of the Easter Bunny would be universally recognized in the US and Canada, but belief is much rarer, and the idea that foster parents would have kids taken away for not teaching it begs credulity. I think there are parts of the story missing.
Old 10th March 2018, 06:49 PM   #106
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Interestingly, it's origin is religious. If like TBD one is catholic, then the end of "lent" is the start of an orgy of base consumption to compensate for weeks of self denial over the course of the preceding weeks. Weirdly, "Pancake Tuesday" is equally a planned excess at the start of "lent" to stock up on carbs before the onset of pointless voluntary deprivation.

"Deprivation"? No, not even slightly. Catholics give up such trivialities as sugar in coffee as a deprivation, somehow. Odd, since I never put sugar in coffee anyway. It would hardly be punitive.
k

Oh man, just wow. Fanatical anti-Catholicism coupled with fanatical anti-Americanism. Solid.
Old 10th March 2018, 06:50 PM   #107
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Unlike Santa Claus, there isn't really a "story" about the Easter Bunny. The Bunny shows up with eggs, these days which are made of chocolate. He is often depicted as a very anthropomophicized white rabbit, wearing a vest, but not usually pants. It's really best if you don't think about these things too much.

Jelly beans are also Easter staples, though less common than in my youth.

ETA: It occurs to me that the depiction of the Easter Bunny as a white rabbit in a vest probably is borrowed from Alice in Wonderland.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 10th March 2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10th March 2018, 07:04 PM   #108
carrps
Scholar

This topic reminds me of one of the chapters in David Sedaris's book "Me Talk Pretty One day." He was living in France and attending a language class to learn French. The mixed ethnicities in the class started discussing Easter traditions, and, as they say, hilarity ensued. I was listening to a reading Sedaris gave while I was driving, and I nearly had an accident I was laughing so hard.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 12:43 AM   #109
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
‘k

Quote:
Oh man, just wow. Fanatical anti-Catholicism coupled with fanatical anti-Americanism. Solid.
No, it wasn't anti Catholic unless you go a long way out of your way to find something (giving up sugar in coffee) to be offended at. And of course it wasn't anti American. It was anti retail. You personally may like corporations inventing occasions so that they can sell more and more junk to you, but not everyone agrees with you. Saying that isn't anti-American, however much you want it to be.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 02:45 AM   #110
Bouncing Bettys
Scholar

My Grandma loved to do her Easter hand puppet play for us and there was a small mention of saying grace at dinner, but it really was mostly about the easter egg hunt and a second Christmas where we woke up to gifts like a video game/book/movie with our basket of chocolates. My kids just know about a big bunny that poops chocolate eggs and gifts.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 02:47 AM   #111
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

As a kid in Scotland we did paint or dye eggs at Easter. I guess I was aware of stuff like Easter egg hunts but it wasn't something we did. I think I was aware of rabbits as a symbol too but as I recollect nobody talked about 'the Easter bunny ' except maybe Americans in TV shows. Plenty of chocolate eggs around back then but chocolate rabbits, not so much. Rolling forward a generation, some friends had Easter egg hunts for their kids but I don't know a single one who told their infants a magical rabbit had hidden them.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 03:16 AM   #112
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

What's the upshot of the thread. Brits don't do "Easter Bunny" but sure as hell do Easter in all its secular sucrose-fructose-lactose filled glory. I think I read a few years ago that pro-rated, Brits buy far more crap at Easter than Americans. (About 1/5th the population but 1/3 or more of the spending, or something like that.)

The thing that Brits don't grok about the USA is that there's no holiday. I think a couple of very Catholic cities like New Orleans might have Good Friday off, but it's purely a local thing. In England, it's a four-day weekend plus the two week school break. In the USA, it's school/work on Friday then back to it on Monday.

England also has the good sense to have a nice roast lamb for Easter Dinner. A far superior choice to baked ham, if you ask me. And don't forget hot cross buns on Good Friday. Mmmm, mmmm!

I think Canada takes mostly Good Friday, but in Quebec we had the option of Good Friday or Easter Monday; I'm not sure how the rest of the country does it. In Hong Kong, being a colony for so long into the 20th century, the four day weekend is in effect.

Blame the Germans. The Brits probably inherited it all from the Saxons and the Easter Bunny/Hare was brought to the colonies/USA by German settlers. But the overall celebration is simply more-or-less European. All the fundie Christians do something in lieu of Easter and while churches are obviously part of it, there are loads of secular events that have nothing to do with Magic Man Rises From the Dead.

TBD... why would secular Easter be more of any oxymoron than secular Christmas and secular Halloween. It's not anomalous... that's sort of the intention of referring to them as "secular" celebrations (of titularly religious events).

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 04:05 AM   #113
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
......The thing that Brits don't grok about the USA is that there's no holiday. I think a couple of very Catholic cities like New Orleans might have Good Friday off, but it's purely a local thing. In England, it's a four-day weekend plus the two week school break. In the USA, it's school/work on Friday then back to it on Monday.....
Just as an aside, a number of areas here now have a fixed "spring break" holiday between school terms rather than having easter dictate the school calender. Otherwise it gets pretty silly sometimes with, say, a 10 week term followed by a 14 or 15 week term, if easter is really early. Of course, schools still close for the bank holidays.

Quote:
England also has the good sense to have a nice roast lamb for Easter Dinner. A far superior choice to baked ham, if you ask me. And don't forget hot cross buns on Good Friday. Mmmm, mmmm........
Nope. Never had (nor heard of) an easter dinner. Hot cross buns are of course available 365 days a year these days too.....hence my occasional forays into the weight watchers thread.
Old 11th March 2018, 05:18 AM   #114
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Just as an aside, a number of areas here now have a fixed "spring break" holiday between school terms rather than having easter dictate the school calender. Otherwise it gets pretty silly sometimes with, say, a 10 week term followed by a 14 or 15 week term, if easter is really early. Of course, schools still close for the bank holidays.

Nope. Never had (nor heard of) an easter dinner. Hot cross buns are of course available 365 days a year these days too.....hence my occasional forays into the weight watchers thread.
I have heard of eating lamb on Easter - partly because of the symbolism, I'd guess.

I think it's more common in France though
Old 11th March 2018, 06:36 AM   #115
kellyb
Philosopher

I have heard of eating lamb on Easter - partly because of the symbolism, I'd guess.

Wow, that's morbid and dark!

Never heard of that one before...
Old 11th March 2018, 06:43 AM   #116
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

I have heard of it, but it's rare these days (much like fish on a Friday or other religious 'fast' days).

These days Easter is another mostly secular excuse to sell stuff and the majority no longer have any interest in the religious origins.
Old 11th March 2018, 06:59 AM   #117
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

I think it's more common in France though
Re-parse his sentence (I made the same mistake*). He said he's never heard of nor had Easter Dinner, no mention of lamb. Man of the world that Mike is, I'm pretty sure he's had lamb. Prolly one of those godless atheists we hear tell about down on Sundays at Reverend Ed's Bible Thumping Church of The Holy Tax-Cut.

*I went to find gobs of recipes on British foodie sites for Easter Lamb Dinner. The Beeb had 3 of them!

The reason for lamb is that it's part of the seder and was carried over. I doubt my mom's tribe was really thinking of Jesus:lamb when they started it. It was probably goat for half a millenium. In later years, lamb, evidently. Foodies, though, would associate the season (not Easter, but spring) with lamb, I reckon.

For serious (not necessarily fundie, just real believers) Christians I'd imagine the UK is much like the US. Once you get outside the big cities, from Palm Sunday through to Easter, them's some holy days.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 07:19 AM   #118
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Re-parse his sentence (I made the same mistake*). He said he's never heard of nor had Easter Dinner, no mention of lamb. Man of the world that Mike is, I'm pretty sure he's had lamb. Prolly one of those godless atheists we hear tell about down on Sundays at Reverend Ed's Bible Thumping Church of The Holy Tax-Cut.

*I went to find gobs of recipes on British foodie sites for Easter Lamb Dinner. The Beeb had 3 of them!

The reason for lamb is that it's part of the seder and was carried over. I doubt my mom's tribe was really thinking of Jesus:lamb when they started it. It was probably goat for half a millenium. In later years, lamb, evidently. Foodies, though, would associate the season (not Easter, but spring) with lamb, I reckon.

For serious (not necessarily fundie, just real believers) Christians I'd imagine the UK is much like the US. Once you get outside the big cities, from Palm Sunday through to Easter, them's some holy days.
Oh, I was meaning lamb as a special Easter dinner, or indeed a special Easter dinner. I've probably had roast lamb for Sunday lunch on several Easter Sundays and I would guess that's pretty common. However, whilst I have heard of having lamb *for* Easter (or indeed Easter dinner in general) it's really not a thing, and I doubt that any of my friends have actually done either.

ETA: I do wonder if Easter being a festival associated with the Spring Equinox did help with the "lamb of God" idea.

Last edited by jimbob; 11th March 2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11th March 2018, 07:48 AM   #119
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

We do smoked lamb here in the USA....
Old 11th March 2018, 07:48 AM   #120
Foolmewunz
TLA Dictator

Oh, I was meaning lamb as a special Easter dinner, or indeed a special Easter dinner. I've probably had roast lamb for Sunday lunch on several Easter Sundays and I would guess that's pretty common. However, whilst I have heard of having lamb *for* Easter (or indeed Easter dinner in general) it's really not a thing, and I doubt that any of my friends have actually done either.

ETA: I do wonder if Easter being a festival associated with the Spring Equinox did help with the "lamb of God" idea.
As I said, just Google "England Easter Dinner Recipes". Lamb is fairly prominent. I stumbled across it, originally, when trying to see if there was any logic to Americans going all Easter Bunny and Brits ignoring it. A number of lists of things associated with Easter in England included roast lamb. (I'll concede that the timing - being the spring, or at least what you folks refer to as "spring" - probably makes lamb a pretty popular choice and there is that Sunday Roast tradition*.)

*Now someone's gonna come tell me you don't do Sunday Roasts.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events