ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th March 2018, 08:07 AM   #121
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

So it's like a UK hatred of America but in addition a UK ignorance and detachment from their own culture. A WTF stacked on a WTF.
Old 11th March 2018, 08:11 AM   #122
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Yes. State social workers supervising foster parents are rather notorious in the USA for actively working against foster parents establishing any lasting relationship with the kids. Especially if they hear the dreaded A-word -- Adoption. They'll yank the kids instantly if the foster parents seem remotely interested in that. The cynic in me wants to think they are preserving the status quo to protect their jobs. In reality...well, I can't think of any other reason.
How about they want to keep the foster parents on tap for the next kid needing one?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 08:12 AM   #123
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
As I said, just Google "England Easter Dinner Recipes". Lamb is fairly prominent. I stumbled across it, originally, when trying to see if there was any logic to Americans going all Easter Bunny and Brits ignoring it. A number of lists of things associated with Easter in England included roast lamb. (I'll concede that the timing - being the spring, or at least what you folks refer to as "spring" - probably makes lamb a pretty popular choice and there is that Sunday Roast tradition*.)

*Now someone's gonna come tell me you don't do Sunday Roasts.
Oh, I'm sure that there are a shedload of recipes of the sort you describe and specifically for Easter dinner - especially from TV or newspaper cooks who are going to be looking for themes to hang programmes/articles on.

However, I haven't come across anyone who actually has anything to do with "an Easter dinner". With the possible exception of those in the catering trade.

And as you say, roast lamb for Sunday Lunch on the Sunday that just happens to be Easter Sunday, would be quite common.

I don't know anyone who does Lent seriously* though - I guess that might make a difference.

*A handful give up chocolate (I nearly capitalised that word, which possibly says something about that) but it's not exactly fasting, or even restricting oneself to dull food.

For comparison, I do know a fair number of colleagues who take Ramadan seriously, and I probably know almost as many devout Christians as Muslims.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 08:19 AM   #124
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
So it's like a UK hatred of America but in addition a UK ignorance and detachment from their own culture. A WTF stacked on a WTF.
I don't see any hatred of the US, nor do I see an ignorance of UK culture.

I do see a criticism of the actions described in the OP, where it was considered bad to say that the Easter Bunny wasn't real, and that was on a par with saying that Santa* wasn't real. As far as I can tell, the overwhelming majority of UK kids who believe in Santa, had not even considered believing in the Easter Bunny.

*I managed to sidestep that one, saying that some people believed and some didn't.

ETA: I'm pretty sure abaddon is not British, so has no special reason to know about UK culture.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 11th March 2018 at 08:24 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 08:25 AM   #125
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

The consumer really gets their moneys worth. It's a great time for kids and parents. So much fun and love and chocolate and marshmallow. It's an American tradition to make colored Easter Eggs.

The tradition goes back to Europe. Ukraine is known for coloring eggs as a fine art. And my Lithuanian ancestors did it too. Dabbing candle wax onto eggs with the head of a pin makes a resist for the dye. Add layers of colors and more wax patterns. Quite beautiful art of playing with your food. Cold boiled eggs are one of my comfort foods.

https://www.slideshare.net/giedregie...s-in-lithuania Check out slide #13, the Easter Granny gives the eggs to good children. I think I prefer the bunny.

Last edited by casebro; 11th March 2018 at 08:33 AM.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 08:27 AM   #126
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Paschal Eggs go back farther than that, at least sort of.

History of religion trivia time. You might know this. Lots of other people will. Some will not. Here goes.

The Hebrew word for Passover is Pesach. From that, we get "paschal". It means, "of Pesach".

On Pesach (yes, we still call it Pesach), we have a seder plate. One of the items on it is an egg. I don't know exactly when the egg became part of the seder plate, but it was at least earlier than the 4th century. The association of Easter with eggs is at least that old.

And of course eggs have a rather obvious connection with new life, and in some traditions rebirth, so it works pretty well. In other words eggs and Easter didn't have one, single, pre-Christian association. There were multiple sources.

We do not have a rabbit on the seder plate, so I don't know where that came from.
Isn't "Pasche" the big egg dye brand? Kits with tablets of vegetable dyes and little wire loops to support the eggs in the hot dye mix.
Old 11th March 2018, 08:32 AM   #127
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Isn't "Pasche" the big egg dye brand? Kits with tablets of vegetable dyes and little wire loops to support the eggs in the hot dye mix.
No, you are thinking of Paas brand.
Old 11th March 2018, 08:43 AM   #128
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Quote from the history of Paas egg dye...

Originally Posted by PAAS
Soon, Mr. Townley realized that he had a wonderful product that other families would like to use to brighten their Easter tradition. He renamed his business the PAAS Dye Company. The name PAAS comes from “Passen,” the word that his Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors used for Easter.

Today, Americans purchase more than 10 million PAAS Easter Egg Color Kits during the Easter season, and use them to decorate as many as 180 million eggs!

Now—More than 135 years later—we believe Mr. Townley would be proud of PAAS perfect colors. The original is still the best!
http://paaseastereggs.com/history
Old 11th March 2018, 08:50 AM   #129
TomB
Critical Thinker

I strongly suspect that there is a lot more to the OP story than not teaching them about the Easter Bunny. The symbol of the Easter Bunny would be universally recognized in the US and Canada, but belief is much rarer, and the idea that foster parents would have kids taken away for not teaching it begs credulity. I think there are parts of the story missing.
I kind of wonder the same thing. Maybe this was just an example the social services people used to say the foster parents were mean spirited. When kids are getting excited about the Easter bunny coming (or Santa, or the tooth fairy, etc.) telling them that it doesn't exist is kind of mean. Even if the kids might not really believe there is a magic rabbit that brings candy and eggs. Kids are smarter than they get credit for. They look forward to the Easter bunny even when they know it's really mom and dad. It's a game, really. Make believe.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 08:59 AM   #130
Cleon
King of the Pod People

What goyishe mishigas is this?
Old 11th March 2018, 09:09 AM   #131
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Spit-roasted lamb or goat is the Easter lunch of choice here in Greece. This is usually accompanied by spit-roasted kokoretsi, which is goat or lamb liver, pancreas, lung, brain etc, bound with the animal's intestine. It's fabulous, in case you're wondering.

The dyed-egg thing is also normal, but it's the 'egg-tapping' kind. Last egg standing confers a year's good luck on its owner. Then you eat them (the eggs, not the winner)

Lent here is a progressive thing - you're supposed to give up more and more stuff as it progresses. Or something. Bugger that nonsense.

Last edited by GlennB; 11th March 2018 at 09:19 AM.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 09:20 AM   #132
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I grew up unsure of what Lent actually was. Round our way, some religious activities to do with Easter were strictly for the Catholics.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 09:32 AM   #133
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
What are your feelings about Halloween, as an Australian?

I had a friend in Oz several years ago who was kind of livid about this "awful American holiday" where "children are encouraged to beg door to door" showing up in Australia. lol
Wow, it sounds like your Australian friend is one of those special people who could truly benefit from another American Halloween tradition. Has he had his house and car egged and his trees toilet papered yet?! ...for in America you must learn to just smile and roll with it or you can get rolled.

(This post is for educational purposes only and should not be in any way construed as the poster actually encouraging or condoning acts of vandalism that could result in some sort of international incident. ...lol)

Last edited by Shepherd; 11th March 2018 at 09:43 AM.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 09:42 AM   #134
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
Wow, it sounds like your Australian friend is one of those special people who could truly benefit from another American Halloween tradition. Has he had his house and car egged and his trees toilet papered yet?! ...for in America you must learn to just smile and roll with it or you can get rolled.

(This post is for educational purposes only and should not be in any way construed as the poster actually encouraging or condoning acts of vandalism that could result in some sort international incident. ...lol)
Makes Halloween sound like a purge. One day a year the children get to swarm the streets, demanding free stuff and menacing people with acts of vandalism if they don't comply. And they learn that's fine because they're becoming monsters for the night so there's no comeback.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 10:15 AM   #135
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Makes Halloween sound like a purge. One day a year the children get to swarm the streets, demanding free stuff and menacing people with acts of vandalism if they don't comply. And they learn that's fine because they're becoming monsters for the night so there's no comeback.
"What happens on Halloween stays on Halloween."

By the way, I just checked my calendar. This year Easter comes on April Fool's day. Hmmmmm....now I wonder if the original was just an Aprils Fool's prank, and the Christians never got the joke?

Anybody still got a year 0 calendar hanging to check?
Old 11th March 2018, 10:26 AM   #136
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

The tradition goes back to Europe. Ukraine is known for coloring eggs as a fine art. And my Lithuanian ancestors did it too. Dabbing candle wax onto eggs with the head of a pin makes a resist for the dye. Add layers of colors and more wax patterns. Quite beautiful art of playing with your food. Cold boiled eggs are one of my comfort foods.

https://www.slideshare.net/giedregie...s-in-lithuania Check out slide #13, the Easter Granny gives the eggs to good children. I think I prefer the bunny.
Decorating eggs as a symbol of spring and rebirth is a tradition much older than Christianity.
Old 11th March 2018, 11:20 AM   #137
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I think you just plucked that out of the air. No-one has said anything about hating American culture. There is a hatred here of everything being turned into a shopping opportunity, that's all. If American culture = shopping, then maybe you should start a little introspection about your values. However, I'm pretty certain there's more to your culture than that.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 11:35 AM   #138
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

By the way, I just checked my calendar. This year Easter comes on April Fool's day. Hmmmmm....now I wonder if the original was just an Aprils Fool's prank, and the Christians never got the joke?

You'd want a year 33 (or there abouts) calender to check, not year 0.
Old 11th March 2018, 11:43 AM   #139
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I think you just plucked that out of the air. No-one has said anything about hating American culture. There is a hatred here of everything being turned into a shopping opportunity, that's all. If American culture = shopping, then maybe you should start a little introspection about your values. However, I'm pretty certain there's more to your culture than that.
Apparently not enthusiastically embracing corporate interpretations of traditions that originated in our countries, were carried to America, filtered through their own popular culture and then turned into opportunities to sell chocolate in industrial quantities by soulless marketing executives equals "hating America".
Old 11th March 2018, 11:46 AM   #140
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
The case worker presumably meant that the foster parents were to some degree causing the kids to be ostracized, or at least made to feel left out. Acknowledging that it was handled unconstructively, did the case worker have a point?

No.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 12:34 PM   #141
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Apparently not enthusiastically embracing corporate interpretations of traditions that originated in our countries, were carried to America, filtered through their own popular culture and then turned into opportunities to sell chocolate in industrial quantities by soulless marketing executives equals "hating America".
Is this, like, the Marxist critique of secular Easter?
Old 11th March 2018, 12:44 PM   #142
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Is this, like, the Marxist critique of secular Easter?
Describing marketing people as 'soulless' doesn't make one a Marxist, it just means you've paid attention to the required qualifications for the job.
Old 11th March 2018, 12:54 PM   #143
kellyb
Philosopher

Describing marketing people as 'soulless' doesn't make one a Marxist, it just means you've paid attention to the required qualifications for the job.
But you're talking about capitalism and globalization.

Those are the mechanisms by which the tacky American holiday crap makes it into the stores in other countries.
Old 11th March 2018, 03:04 PM   #144
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And it's terrible chocolate, at that.
Old 11th March 2018, 03:10 PM   #145
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Why do you hate America?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 03:33 PM   #146
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Not always, not in Europe anyway. We use our own, from (in the UK) Cadbury's for the kids and mass market to much better stuff from the likes of Thorntons and Green & Blacks for grownups willing to spend a bit more.
Old 11th March 2018, 03:38 PM   #147
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

One of my favorite quotes from Southpark:

" ..... somewhere between Jesus dying on the cross and a giant bunny hiding eggs there seems to be a... a gap of information. "
Old 11th March 2018, 03:42 PM   #148
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Quote:
Soon, Mr. Townley realized that he had a wonderful product that other families would like to use to brighten their Easter tradition. He renamed his business the PAAS Dye Company. The name PAAS comes from “Passen,” the word that his Pennsylvania Dutch neighbors used for Easter.

Today, Americans purchase more than 10 million PAAS Easter Egg Color Kits during the Easter season, and use them to decorate as many as 180 million eggs!

Now—More than 135 years later—we believe Mr. Townley would be proud of PAAS perfect colors. The original is still the best!
Two remarks to that story:
(1) The Dutch name of Eastern is Pasen with a single 's'. "Paas" would be the singular, which doesn't exist as an actual word but does turn up in combinations like paasei = easter egg or paashaas = easter bunny.

(2) The Pennsylvania Dutch were actually German immigrants, from the Palatinate, and the German word for Eastern is Ostern. Mr. Townley's neighbors must have been (descendants of) actual Dutch immigrants.

We do know the concept of an easter bunny who hides the (painted) easter eggs, but that's about the extent of him/her. He mainly manifests himself in chocolate form.

As to Halloween: that has been recently become somewhat popular around here too. The traditional day, however, that kids go round the neighborhood and collect candy is St. Martin's Day. I think it would be a pity if local traditions progressively disappear and get replaced by "global", i.e., American, traditions.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 03:44 PM   #149
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Not always, not in Europe anyway. We use our own, from (in the UK) Cadbury's for the kids and mass market to much better stuff from the likes of Thorntons and Green & Blacks for grownups willing to spend a bit more.
Cough cough. Cadbury:
Quote:
Cadbury, formerly Cadbury's, is a British multinational confectionery company wholly owned by Mondelez International (originally Kraft Foods) since 2010.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 04:17 PM   #150
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
T.......

We do know the concept of an easter bunny who hides the (painted) easter eggs, but that's about the extent of him/her. He mainly manifests himself in chocolate form.
And at other times me and Jimmy Stewart we call him Harvey. We are drinking buddies.
Old 11th March 2018, 04:33 PM   #151
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Cough cough. Cadbury:
Cough cough

Quote:
Cadbury, formerly Cadbury's, is a British multinational confectionery
It may now be foriegn owned, most of our companies seem to be, but it's still British, ie, based in Britain and making British style chocolate as it has done for over a hundred years. If a non American bought Hershey would that stop their distinctive soured milk based chocolate from being American?
Old 11th March 2018, 06:29 PM   #152
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 11th March 2018, 06:37 PM   #153
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

That's exactly what I said to my mom. "HA HA! I'm back! April Fools!" My mom laughed, but my departed grandma would have thought it blasphemy. She took it a bit more serious.

We definitely followed Lent. Including the ash on the forehead, which non-Catholics would get a little creeped out by.
Old 11th March 2018, 06:41 PM   #154
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Cough cough

It may now be foriegn owned, most of our companies seem to be, but it's still British, ie, based in Britain and making British style chocolate as it has done for over a hundred years. If a non American bought Hershey would that stop their distinctive soured milk based chocolate from being American?
And if Budweiser was owned by someone in Belgium, would it still be terrible?
Old 11th March 2018, 08:28 PM   #155
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
ETA: I do wonder if Easter being a festival associated with the Spring Equinox did help with the "lamb of God" idea.

It didn't "help with" the idea. It was the idea.

The Jewish tradition was to sacrifice a lamb at Pesach (i.e. at Passover). I don't know the exact rules on which parts of it you could eat, and which parts were burned and/or given to the priests at the temple, so I don't know how much of it was "sacrifice" and how much of it was "prepared and eaten". One way or another, lambs were on the dinner plate of someone at that time of year. That lamb was the "Paschal Lamb", i.e. the lamb of Pesach.

When Jesus was executed at Pesach, his followers started talking about Jesus as the Passover sacrifice. Instead of sacrificing a lamb, Jesus was sacrificed. i.e. He took the place of the paschal lamb.

I never knew any of this before I married a Jew and started playing along with Jewish rituals and traditions. I knew that Jesus was the "paschal lamb", but I never new what "paschal" meant. I thought it had something to do with ministry.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 11th March 2018 at 08:39 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 10:36 PM   #156
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

It didn't "help with" the idea. It was the idea.

The Jewish tradition was to sacrifice a lamb at Pesach (i.e. at Passover). I don't know the exact rules on which parts of it you could eat, and which parts were burned and/or given to the priests at the temple, so I don't know how much of it was "sacrifice" and how much of it was "prepared and eaten". One way or another, lambs were on the dinner plate of someone at that time of year. That lamb was the "Paschal Lamb", i.e. the lamb of Pesach.

When Jesus was executed at Pesach, his followers started talking about Jesus as the Passover sacrifice. Instead of sacrificing a lamb, Jesus was sacrificed. i.e. He took the place of the paschal lamb.

I never knew any of this before I married a Jew and started playing along with Jewish rituals and traditions. I knew that Jesus was the "paschal lamb", but I never new what "paschal" meant. I thought it had something to do with ministry.
Doh... Of course I'd heard of Passover lamb.

And the date of the first Easter being at Passover.

I just hadn't joined the dots.
Old 12th March 2018, 03:50 AM   #157
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

That would depend on which Budweiser you're talking about.
Old 12th March 2018, 04:48 AM   #158
ddt
Mafia Penguin

I'm not sure about that, unless you count every publicly-traded company when the majority of shareholders happen to be foreigners (which is very likely these days). But Cadbury is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mondelez and it shares key personnel in the board room, so yes, they could stop making British style chocolate any moment.

Considering that that "someone in Belgium" thought of the idea of brewing Stella Artois, I wouldn't hold up my hopes of improvement for Budweiser.

Old 12th March 2018, 04:51 AM   #159
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
And the date of the first Easter being at Passover.
Not just the first Easter; the first couple of centuries, Christians followed the Jewish date for Passover as the date for Easter. The current formula for the Easter date was only really fixed in the 16th Century, around the same time as the Gregorian calendar, IIRC.

Old 12th March 2018, 05:32 AM   #160
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

I'm not sure about that, unless you count every publicly-traded company when the majority of shareholders happen to be foreigners (which is very likely these days). But Cadbury is a wholly owned subsidiary of Mondelez and it shares key personnel in the board room, so yes, they could stop making British style chocolate any moment.
And if they did I would nolonger argue that they were making British chocolate, but I spoke about what our easter eggs are made of not what they might hypothetically be made of in the future.

Considering that that "someone in Belgium" thought of the idea of brewing Stella Artois, I wouldn't hold up my hopes of improvement for Budweiser.
One of the Budweisers has very little need for improvement.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events