ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th March 2018, 05:47 AM   #161
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
......One of the Budweisers has very little need for improvement.
The only improvement I can think of would be to boil it thoroughly for a week, capture the condensate, and use this to brew a traditional cask-conditioned ale. Compost the residue. Other than that, no, you're about right.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 06:18 AM   #162
Cheetah
Graduate Poster

Who makes beer with genetically engineered rice?
Old 12th March 2018, 06:20 AM   #163
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
No.
Don't derail. The thread topic is evidently chocolate and the history of egg dyes.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 06:36 AM   #164
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
The only improvement I can think of would be to boil it thoroughly for a week, capture the condensate, and use this to brew a traditional cask-conditioned ale. Compost the residue. Other than that, no, you're about right.
I think you're refering to the American Budweiser, I'm not. (Hint, there are two companies called Budweiser that make lager, one isn't American and has been making very good lager for a very long time).
Old 12th March 2018, 06:45 AM   #165
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
I think you're refering to the American Budweiser, I'm not. (Hint, there are two companies called Budweiser that make lager, one isn't American and has been making very good lager for a very long time).
No, indeed I'm not. The Czech one is also a lager.
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 07:03 AM   #166
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

No, indeed I'm not. The Czech one is also a lager.
And is pronounced Boodviser, I knew a guy from that town.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 07:14 AM   #167
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

If you don't like lager then fair enough (it isn't my favourite tipple either) but as as lagers go it's a good one.
Old 12th March 2018, 08:11 AM   #168
Worm
Master Poster

From my perspective (atheist in the UK), the religious side of Easter and the whole bunny/egg thing seem to be two very separate things.

Obviously the whole thing has religious roots, but the chocolate stuff is just marketing and doesn't seem to have penetrated in quite the way that, for instance, Christmas appears to have more fully blended the religious and secular aspects of the season.

I suspect that some of this might come from the fact that Easter is not on a fixed date, so never quite feels as 'rooted' as holidays based around specific dates (Christmas, New Year etc.).

The only way it specifically impacts on my life is that Good Friday/Easter Monday are the only statutory holidays I get other than Christmas/New Year, and the collective I am a part of until recently had big get-togethers around Good Friday, as we try to perform Random Acts of Kindness every Friday, and call them 'Good' Fridays. The get-together is referred to as 'Good-Good Friday'.

Also I don't really like chocolate, so I think the whole thing is stupid. Can we get a holiday based around cheese and wine please?

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 08:26 AM   #169
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
And is pronounced Boodviser, I knew a guy from that town.

To be fair, not everyone in St. Louis talks that way.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 08:29 AM   #170
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Can we get a holiday based around cheese and wine please?
In my nonreligious family, every single holiday will have cheeses and wines and beers and fifty other things.
Old 12th March 2018, 08:48 AM   #171
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Considering that that "someone in Belgium" thought of the idea of brewing Stella Artois, I wouldn't hold up my hopes of improvement for Budweiser.
That's who owns American Budweiser now. [/derail]
Old 12th March 2018, 09:38 AM   #172
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
The case worker presumably meant that the foster parents were to some degree causing the kids to be ostracized, or at least made to feel left out. Acknowledging that it was handled unconstructively, did the case worker have a point?
People have from time to time contended, and still contend, that when everyone around you is wrong you ought to go along with it and be wrong too. But I must say I don't think so. A small point could perhaps be made if there was evidence that the parents or children were berating those who did not share their point of view, but simply to require that someone subscribe to an unpalatable belief, especially to the point of removing kids from foster care, is not only unreasonable, but a blunder of considerable stupidity. It seems typical of the thoughtless and ahistorical foolishness of many who so conveniently forget how many of their forefathers likely fled, cowered, and were occasionally burned, or for that matter crucified, for espousing minority beliefs.

I would suggest in this case that even if there were some slight case to be made for talking to the parents about tolerating majority nonsense, the action actually taken would appear to be of such intractable stupidity that the case worker in question should be disqualified, and looking for a different sort of job.

edit to add: a case like this reminds me of the Anne Sexton Poem, The Passion of the Mad Rabbit, too long to copy here, but it ends with "In place of the Lord, I whispered, A fool has risen."

Further edit to add: I see from reading the article (did not realize it went on after the advertisement), that the foster parents explicitly did not forbid their children from participating in mainstream Easter celebrations, and that their ONLY offense was that they would not lie and tell the children that the Easter Bunny was actually real. Any moderation of mollification toward the case worker implied in my post above is hereby withdrawn. That person should be fired for a demonstrable inability to do the job.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 12th March 2018 at 09:47 AM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 07:38 PM   #173
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
People have from time to time contended, and still contend, that when everyone around you is wrong you ought to go along with it and be wrong too. But I must say I don't think so. A small point could perhaps be made if there was evidence that the parents or children were berating those who did not share their point of view, but simply to require that someone subscribe to an unpalatable belief, especially to the point of removing kids from foster care, is not only unreasonable, but a blunder of considerable stupidity. It seems typical of the thoughtless and ahistorical foolishness of many who so conveniently forget how many of their forefathers likely fled, cowered, and were occasionally burned, or for that matter crucified, for espousing minority beliefs.

I would suggest in this case that even if there were some slight case to be made for talking to the parents about tolerating majority nonsense, the action actually taken would appear to be of such intractable stupidity that the case worker in question should be disqualified, and looking for a different sort of job.

edit to add: a case like this reminds me of the Anne Sexton Poem, The Passion of the Mad Rabbit, too long to copy here, but it ends with "In place of the Lord, I whispered, A fool has risen."

Further edit to add: I see from reading the article (did not realize it went on after the advertisement), that the foster parents explicitly did not forbid their children from participating in mainstream Easter celebrations, and that their ONLY offense was that they would not lie and tell the children that the Easter Bunny was actually real. Any moderation of mollification toward the case worker implied in my post above is hereby withdrawn. That person should be fired for a demonstrable inability to do the job.
Agreed. What I noticed was that the Baars (foster parents) also said they would not talk about Santa or celebrate Halloween. This suggests to me that the case worker may have overblown the Bunny thing to head off problems down the line (speculation, of course). Since foster parents receive public funds, I am wondering how much say the State should have in seeing the wards receive a conventional upbringing. Does the State have the right to require, for instance, that the kids be allowed to trick or treat with friends?
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 07:45 PM   #174
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post

I would suggest in this case that even if there were some slight case to be made for talking to the parents about tolerating majority nonsense, the action actually taken would appear to be of such intractable stupidity that the case worker in question should be disqualified, and looking for a different sort of job..

I agree. In fact, it would be so incredibly, amazingly, stupid, that I don't think it actually happened. I think the story is incredibly distorted. I don't know what the real story is, but I don't think a case worker would actually do it.

Of course, in so doing, I am saying, "No one in that position could be that stupid." Somehow, though, people do find a way to be a good deal more stupid than people think possible.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 06:19 AM   #175
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I agree. In fact, it would be so incredibly, amazingly, stupid, that I don't think it actually happened. I think the story is incredibly distorted. I don't know what the real story is, but I don't think a case worker would actually do it.

Of course, in so doing, I am saying, "No one in that position could be that stupid." Somehow, though, people do find a way to be a good deal more stupid than people think possible.
Perhaps the children had been told by their natural parents that the Easter Bunny was real. The new foster parents refusing to do so was upsetting the kids, who because of whatever chaos caused them to be in foster care, were clinging to what their parents told them...maybe just fond memories. Plausible, and accounts for the case workers actions.
Old 13th March 2018, 07:10 AM   #176
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps the children had been told by their natural parents that the Easter Bunny was real. The new foster parents refusing to do so was upsetting the kids, who because of whatever chaos caused them to be in foster care, were clinging to what their parents told them...maybe just fond memories. Plausible, and accounts for the case workers actions.
One can speculate and stretch all sorts of ways, but it's speculation. One might, for example, speculate that if your scenario was true, the refusal of the step parents to acknowledge the bunny's reality would likely have been in response to a question, such as "is he real?" and that this question was asked because an answer was wanted. Some children actually want honesty when they ask a question. Who Knows? One might also ask, if the children were fostered for reasons we do not know, perhaps there's a good reason not to continue the practices of the natural parents from whom they were removed.

Of course we know only what is in the report linked, but if that's true, then the issue appears to be simply that the parents were required by a case worker to say the Easter Bunny is real, and though we can speculate all sorts of ways to mitigate the craziness of it all, it's largely a matter of who shared it.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 07:40 AM   #177
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Have we considered the possibility that the case worker believes in the Easter bunny?
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 08:15 AM   #178
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Yeah, while I think the ruling was the correct one, like most stories that are seemingly outrageous on the surface, the is issue is likely much more nuanced than it seems.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 08:17 AM   #179
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Have we considered the possibility that the case worker believes in the Easter bunny?

Plausible, and accounts for the case worker's actions.

Last edited by quadraginta; 13th March 2018 at 08:30 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 08:27 AM   #180
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
Yeah, while I think the ruling was the correct one, like most stories that are seemingly outrageous on the surface, the is issue is likely much more nuanced than it seems.
That's what I think, too. It's easy to call the case worker incompetent and they should be fired. I think it is fair to consider plausible scenarios that fit the facts, where the case worker is not purely stupid.
Old 15th March 2018, 10:51 AM   #181
korenyx
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
That's ridiculous.

And contrary to the Santa thing, I've always assumed that nobody ever actually believed in the Easter bunny, and that even kids play along.
I never really believed in the Easter Bunny; adults organized the egg hunts so I decided my parents bought my Easter gifts.

That and the person in the bunny suit at the mall-they could see out the eye holes but I could see in.
korenyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 10:56 AM   #182
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Originally Posted by korenyx View Post
......my parents bought my Easter gifts......
Your what? Easter gifts.........is that really a thing? Again, I've never heard of that happening here, other than chocolate.
Old 15th March 2018, 11:09 AM   #183
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Your what? Easter gifts.........is that really a thing? Again, I've never heard of that happening here, other than chocolate.
For us growing up, my parents would leave us a basket with candy, a couple small cheap toys, and a more expensive gift (like a super Nintendo game).
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2018, 11:12 AM   #184
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Gifts: along with fun stuff for kids would be practical things like new spring clothes or shoes.
Old 15th March 2018, 11:18 AM   #185
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The only Easter gifts I got besides candy was new clothes for church.

But then apparently at age six I accused the Easter Bunny of collaboration with Pontius Pilate, something about him having to know about the Crucifixion in advance to have all those baskets ready for Easter.
Old 15th March 2018, 11:24 AM   #186
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Bloody hell.......really? Is there no occasion which doesn't warrant retail action?
Old 15th March 2018, 11:36 AM   #187
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Bloody hell.......really? Is there no occasion which doesn't warrant retail action?
I'd write a long reply but I've got to head out to the Ides of March sales. Don't be tyrannized by high prices! Conspire with savings on quality goods at low prices!
Old 15th March 2018, 12:40 PM   #188
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Probably not.

Quintessential Free Enterprise. This is the goal which Capitalism has been striving toward. Pretty much anything and everything is an opportunity to be taken advantage of in order to generate another sale of some product, somewhere.

Every opportunity missed is a sale not made.

Last edited by quadraginta; 15th March 2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 15th March 2018, 12:56 PM   #189
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Americans are generous and loving people. We like to give things to our family and friends and sometimes even to strangers.

We are a country that was established by diverse European immigrants. We like things. We work hard for various purposes including to buy things. I think that people in other countries do that too.

Manufacturers, importers and retailers provide things because the people demand things. We are good and kind people.
Old 15th March 2018, 04:47 PM   #190
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'd write a long reply but I've got to head out to the Ides of March sales. Don't be tyrannized by high prices! Conspire with savings on quality goods at low prices!
Pointed observation. Sharp thinking.
Old 16th March 2018, 06:49 AM   #191
TX50
Graduate Poster

Is the easter bunny thing really a social norm? I had to look it up on wikipedia to find out what it was all about. Seriously. No-one has ever talked about the easter bunny to me, or in my earshot. How widespread a thing is it?
I think it's an American thing. I never heard of it when I was a kid (in Scotland. We just boiled eggs, painted the shells then peeled and ate them. The "just so" story we were told was that the egg represented the stone that blocked Christ's tomb).
TX50 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 12:01 PM   #192
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Not in the USA there isn't. My supermarket currently has big special displays of corned beef and Kosher food, along with the Easter stuff.
Old 16th March 2018, 12:33 PM   #193
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

OK.......corned beef..........what's that all about?
Old 16th March 2018, 12:37 PM   #194
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

You've never heard the story of the equinox possum, who hides cans of salted meat for the kids to celebrate that at certain latitudes, the day and night last equally long?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 12:49 PM   #195
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

You've never heard the story of the equinox possum, who hides cans of salted meat for the kids to celebrate that at certain latitudes, the day and night last equally long?
Channeling your inner Tragic Monkey again, Pol?
Old 16th March 2018, 12:56 PM   #196
kellyb
Philosopher

I thought it was the Ramadan Ferret who did that?
Old 16th March 2018, 12:58 PM   #197
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Actually toning it down most of the time, because when I just joined several posters accused me of trying to imitate TM*, so I usually leave the weird humour to him, because I don't feel like defending my silliness all the time.

*I wish... Turns out I'm just weird.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 01:04 PM   #198
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

It's St Patrick's Day in a couple. Like Cinco de Mayo, a holiday probably much more celebrated in the USA than in it's "native" country. I didn't check, but they've probably laid in a healthy supply of cabbages as well.
Old 16th March 2018, 01:15 PM   #199
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's St Patrick's Day in a couple. Like Cinco de Mayo, a holiday probably much more celebrated in the USA than in it's "native" country. I didn't check, but they've probably laid in a healthy supply of cabbages as well.
The world's shortest St. Patrick's day parade happens about an hour away from my house:

http://www.hotsprings.org/events/event/2627/
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2018, 01:21 PM   #200
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I'm still not getting it. What is the connection between St Patrick's day and corned beef?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events