ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th March 2018, 04:53 PM   #1
This is The End

Another UK Grooming Scandal: Up to 1,000 kids drugged, beaten, & raped in Telford, UK

Quote:
Girls as young as 11 were drugged, beaten and raped in Telford, with up to 1,000 children estimated to have suffered abuse in the town, a new investigation has found.

<snip>

believed to have been taking place over a 40 year period.

<snip>

Allegations reported to date back to the 1980s are said to have been mishandled by authorities, with many perpetrators going unpunished, while it is claimed similar abuse is continuing in the area.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/577707...gangs-victims/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...oming-12165527

http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/11/1000-c...andal-7377736/

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/lat...-murder-police

Quote:
TRAGIC: Becky Watson, 13, was groomed by a gang and made to sleep with multiple men

"Night after night, I was forced to have sex with multiple men in disgusting takeaways and filthy houses.

"I fell pregnant twice and had two abortions. Hours after my second termination, I was taken by one of my abusers to be raped by more men.

"The worst moment came just after my 16th birthday when I was drugged and gang-raped by five men."

Authorities implicated in the cover-up say they did it because the perps were Asian and they did not want to appear racist.

Quote:
And authorities failed to keep details of child abusers from Asian backgrounds for fear of being accused of "racism".

Way too much to quote here, check out the articles.

According to twitter May knew about this cover-up (as well as another case that broke 4 years ago) and was involved in the cover-up (of the cover-up).
Old 11th March 2018, 04:55 PM   #2
deadrose
Master Poster

Shades of the Satanic Panic!
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 05:09 PM   #3
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by deadrose View Post
Really? After Rotherham, that is your reaction?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 05:16 PM   #4
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Open the gates and unleash the skepticism.
Old 11th March 2018, 05:25 PM   #5
Strawberry
Graduate Poster

Hmmmm.....
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 05:30 PM   #6
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Although the figure is estimated (and the quoted sources are tabloid) I don't doubt that there have been horrific crimes commited and on a massive scale, the allegation is that this has been going on for forty years so there has been time for the numbers to build up. I'd want to see a better source than Twitter to lend credence to the claim that May was involved in covering it up though.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 05:34 PM   #7
Arcade22
Illuminator

Strange that this is largely (exclusively?) a British phenomenon. Is it something in the food or water?
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 05:39 PM   #8
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

If I was a young junkie turning tricks for cash I would blame it on filthy Asian men who cannot be named. That way I wouldn't have to take any personal responsibility for anything.
Old 11th March 2018, 05:49 PM   #9
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Strange that this is largely (exclusively?) a British phenomenon. Is it something in the food or water?
Sex slavery is hardly just a British thing
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 06:00 PM   #10
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Sex slavery is hardly just a British thing
1k kids in one town is unprecedented in the developed world (at least), though, isn't it?
Old 11th March 2018, 06:02 PM   #11
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

They interviewed twelve. Seems like they could have done hundreds.
Old 11th March 2018, 06:07 PM   #12
kellyb
Philosopher

If it went on for 40 years, that would be 25 kids during any given year? Am I doing the math correctly?
Old 11th March 2018, 06:14 PM   #13
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
1k kids in one town is unprecedented in the developed world (at least), though, isn't it?
Fair point
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 06:22 PM   #14
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

If it went on for 40 years, that would be 25 kids during any given year? Am I doing the math correctly?
Sort of. They aren't and can't say that there was a perfect year-by-year average. They are basically saying a grand total of a thousand over forty years. Some years may have had hundreds going on.

It's unfalsifiable and can't be checked for accuracy.
Old 11th March 2018, 06:31 PM   #15
Giz
Philosopher

Yes, the Rotherham and Telford cases, definitely something to do with Britain. Specifically, the failures of integration in the UK.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 06:57 PM   #16
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Sort of. They aren't and can't say that there was a perfect year-by-year average. They are basically saying a grand total of a thousand over forty years. Some years may have had hundreds going on.

It's unfalsifiable and can't be checked for accuracy.
Yeah, I should have clarified "it would average out to".

I'd need to know how they came up with the estimate to have an opinion.
Old 11th March 2018, 07:31 PM   #17
deadrose
Master Poster

It reminds me a lot of this incident, which took place in my childhood home town. This is one of the reasons I'm skeptical.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 08:45 PM   #18
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
They interviewed twelve. Seems like they could have done hundreds.
According to the Mirror, the estimated total figure of victims was arrived at in this way.
We presented our findings to Professor Liz KellyWP, from the Child and Woman Abuse Studies Unit at London Metropolitan University.
She helped estimate the number of victims based on figures gathered by our investigators.
I find this opinion of hers disquieting, or to be more accurate, outrageous.
In her book "The Hidden Gender of Law", Kelly argues "there is no clear distinction between consensual sex and rape, but a continuum of pressure, threat, coercion and force".
The idea that sex between men and women could ever even in principle be characterised by desire or fulfilment experienced by women, let alone by mutual affection or love, is entirely absent from this perception.

The Mirror doesn't inform us how Professor Kelly obtained her estimate of the number of victims. However, the accusations of abuse are very grave, and require investigation.

Last edited by Craig B; 11th March 2018 at 09:36 PM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 08:53 PM   #19
CaptainHowdy
Muse

No, it happens in every country that has experienced large scale Muslim immigration.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 08:55 PM   #20
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
No, it happens in every country that has experienced large scale Muslim immigration.
Lol

What utter pants

Old 11th March 2018, 09:26 PM   #21
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Yet another indication that "Muslims are the new Jews".
Stories of Rassenschande, i.e. the Jewish men and German women having sex, were staples of Der StürmerWP but many were creations of Streicher's imagination, derived from little fact, or random occurrences. Streicher described Jews as sex offenders who were "violators of the innocent", "perpetrators of bizarre sex crimes", and "ritual murderers" who performed in religious ceremonies using blood of other humans, usually Christians. Streicher also frequently reported attempts of child molestation by Jews. Der Stürmer never lacked details about sex, names, and crimes in order to keep readers aroused and entertained. These accusations, articles and crimes printed in Der Stürmer were often inaccurate and rarely investigated by staff members.
Israel is understandably popular with the extreme right, so Jews can no longer fulfil their traditional role of social scapegoat, which entailed among other things their alleged participation in sexual disorders. Muslims have been made to take their place.

That is why the necessity of unprejudiced investigation is absolute in the Telford case, so that the possibility that racial bias is a factor in the accusations can be definitively eliminated.

Last edited by Craig B; 11th March 2018 at 09:31 PM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 12:00 AM   #22
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

It reminds me a lot of this incident, which took place in my childhood home town. This is one of the reasons I'm skeptical.

We had one of those, too. The Little Rascals day care center sexual abuse trial.

Claims included (but were not limited to) ritual baby killing, children taken out to sea and thrown into schools of sharks, and something to do with "inappropriate trips" in hot air balloons.

The main defendant was charged with 100 counts and convicted of 99 in the most expensive trial in North Carolina's history. He was sentenced to 12 consecutive terms of life in prison.

All convictions were reversed. After he spent a few years in prison.

Others suffered the same treatment, although not to that extent.

Oh, and they were all (at least nominally) Christians.

Last edited by quadraginta; 12th March 2018 at 12:01 AM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 12:12 AM   #23
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Because Asian = Muslim, right?
"The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place." The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 12:22 AM   #24
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Because Asian = Muslim, right?
Or Russia and several non Muslim countries in Africa

Old 12th March 2018, 01:40 AM   #25
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Yes and no, but only because the "estimates" in cases like these seem more akin to water divining than even basic mathematics. Simply dividing 1000 supposed victims by 40 years would mean 25 new ones each and every year, which stretches credulity a bit.

One victim is said to have been abused for two year, and another nine years. Circumstances also vary, with what would seem to be initially consensual - albeit it sometimes underage/illegal - relationships retroactively deemed "grooming" when the alleged victims were "passed on," which would appear to tally with the viewpoint of the academic responsible.

In that context it could have been the case that on average 25 girls/women could be in both pre-abuse relationships and being actively abused at any one time, but even if we assume a speculative average of three years for every victim, there would have to be either a lot less victims in total, or far more than 25 in any given year. It can be had both ways.

The figure of "more than 70 abusers" also seems suspect, both in and of itself, and in relation to the claimed total number of victims. Given the 40 year timescale, while it is possible that some perpetrators might have been involved throughout, most might only be implicated for a few years/months/weeks.

Clearly the extremes of the twelve alleged victims who spoke to the Mirror suggest various degrees of criminality, but it edges into conspiracy theory territory if their stories are typical for the other 988. If the same subset of the 12 fruitlessly reported it to the authorities, it would suggest an industrial-scale cover-up. Either that of a hell of a lot of individuals behaving negligently, not joining the dots, etc.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 12th March 2018 at 01:58 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 01:54 AM   #26
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Yes, the Rotherham and Telford cases, definitely something to do with Britain. Specifically, the failures of integration in the UK.
A minuscule subset of an immigrant population behaving aberrationally damns the majority?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 01:56 AM   #27
Information Analyst
Philosopher

You should be able to cite lots of verifiable examples, then.
Old 12th March 2018, 02:23 AM   #28
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Or is it that we've started exposing these situations earlier than other countries? Given how the abuse scandal of the RCC was initially (and victims derided for decades before being taken seriously) seemingly confined to Ireland and then exploded throughout the world I would be very wary in thinking this is largely confined to the UK (even though I wish it is).
Old 12th March 2018, 02:59 AM   #29
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Or is it that we've started exposing these situations earlier than other countries? Given how the abuse scandal of the RCC was initially (and victims derided for decades before being taken seriously) seemingly confined to Ireland and then exploded throughout the world I would be very wary in thinking this is largely confined to the UK (even though I wish it is).
Unfortunately I think it's more a case of it actually only being newsworthy in the western Europe and the UK and no one particularly cares about the large amount of other countries where it's basically just part of the wall paper.

Kind of like the multiple suicide bombers only hitting mainstream media when it's the same countries

Old 12th March 2018, 03:19 AM   #30
kellyb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Yes and no, but only because the "estimates" in cases like these seem more akin to water divining than even basic mathematics. Simply dividing 1000 supposed victims by 40 years would mean 25 new ones each and every year, which stretches credulity a bit.

One victim is said to have been abused for two year, and another nine years. Circumstances also vary, with what would seem to be initially consensual - albeit it sometimes underage/illegal - relationships retroactively deemed "grooming" when the alleged victims were "passed on," which would appear to tally with the viewpoint of the academic responsible.

In that context it could have been the case that on average 25 girls/women could be in both pre-abuse relationships and being actively abused at any one time, but even if we assume a speculative average of three years for every victim, there would have to be either a lot less victims in total, or far more than 25 in any given year. It can be had both ways.

The figure of "more than 70 abusers" also seems suspect, both in and of itself, and in relation to the claimed total number of victims. Given the 40 year timescale, while it is possible that some perpetrators might have been involved throughout, most might only be implicated for a few years/months/weeks.

Clearly the extremes of the twelve alleged victims who spoke to the Mirror suggest various degrees of criminality, but it edges into conspiracy theory territory if their stories are typical for the other 988. If the same subset of the 12 fruitlessly reported it to the authorities, it would suggest an industrial-scale cover-up. Either that of a hell of a lot of individuals behaving negligently, not joining the dots, etc.
I'm having a really hard time taking this (the 1k number) too seriously at all at this point. The mathematical model being used to calculate the cumulative total is unknown, and the source of the "by year" (or whatever her source of the input data is) number is also unknown, so...that's feeding an estimated number into a questionable algorithm?

I'm almost wondering if each of the 12 interviewed victims reported having a sibling or friend they knew were also abused (on average) and the math was extrapolated outwards from there to make the 1k figure over 40 years?
Old 12th March 2018, 04:17 AM   #31
baron
Philosopher

This whole thing is a bad joke. The under-estimation of abuse victims in the predominant Pakistani 'grooming' (for 'grooming', read 'rape, torture and murder') gang phenomenon is tragic. Fourteen hundred girls were identified in Rotherham - a single small town - and for some unexplained reason it was assumed that this was a one-off. Now a thousand plus girls are being identified in another town and people are, Whoa! Not again! How is that possible? Well, it's possible because it has happened in is still happening in scores of towns and cities up and down the country, on a scale of Rotherham and greater.

The total, if ever accurately assessed, will be in the multiple tens of thousands for the past 30 - 40 year period, unquestionably. Unfortunately no such assessment will ever be made, for the same reasons as the authorities have permitted, and in many cases actively facilitated, these rapes over a 40 year period.
Old 12th March 2018, 04:18 AM   #32
baron
Philosopher

I'd need to know how they came up with the estimate to have an opinion.
Yes, it's always a good idea of have some knowledge of the subject before expressing an opinion.
Old 12th March 2018, 04:27 AM   #33
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by baron View Post
This whole thing is a bad joke. The under-estimation of abuse victims in the predominant Pakistani 'grooming' (for 'grooming', read 'rape, torture and murder') gang phenomenon is tragic. Fourteen hundred girls were identified in Rotherham - a single small town - and for some unexplained reason it was assumed that this was a one-off. Now a thousand plus girls are being identified in another town and people are, Whoa! Not again! How is that possible? Well, it's possible because it has happened in is still happening in scores of towns and cities up and down the country, on a scale of Rotherham and greater.

The total, if ever accurately assessed, will be in the multiple tens of thousands for the past 30 - 40 year period, unquestionably. Unfortunately no such assessment will ever be made, for the same reasons as the authorities have permitted, and in many cases actively facilitated, these rapes over a 40 year period.
Your last paragraph makes no sense since we only know of this because the powers that be are now investigating allegations.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 12th March 2018, 04:31 AM   #34
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Not really, this guy managed to molest all the boys in his town.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-Victoria.html

Though as the total population of the town is only 1000, he might not have been able to rack up his number so high.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 04:32 AM   #35
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Or lets in the catholics.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 04:33 AM   #36
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by This is The End View Post
Authorities implicated in the cover-up say they did it because the perps were Asian and they did not want to appear racist.
Now why did I know that just from the thread title?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 04:35 AM   #37
Belz...
Fiend God

A minuscule subset of an immigrant population behaving aberrationally damns the majority?
For myself: no, not at all. It does seem to highlight cultural differences that need to be addressed in order to curb this problem. And the authorities being fearful of dealing with this is another major aspect that needs to be solved.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 04:36 AM   #38
baron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Your last paragraph makes no sense since we only know of this because the powers that be are now investigating a tiny proportion of the allegations because they've been forced into the pretence of action.
My additions for accuracy.
Old 12th March 2018, 04:37 AM   #39
baron
Philosopher

A very well-defined subset, but let's not mention that, let's tar all immigrants and indeed all Asians with the same brush for the sake of obfuscation.
Old 12th March 2018, 05:16 AM   #40
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by baron View Post
My additions for accuracy.
How many investigations are ongoing?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events