ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th March 2018, 09:56 AM   #1
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Shingles vaccine- any good news?

46 years old, insurance doesn't cover it. Costs $190 from my pharmacy.

Any answers?

They say that people who have had chicken pox as a child have a 25% chanche of shingles. I don't like those odds
Old 12th March 2018, 10:57 AM   #2
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Do it. $190 is peanuts to prevent a flareup.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 12:25 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Do it. $190 is peanuts to prevent a flareup.
He's 46, Beelze, be careful giving advice that may not be correct.

Consider waiting, take a look at the expected length of protection. The earlier age you were when you had chicken pox, the higher the rate of earlier shingles. But most risk is either people who are immunocompromised or older than 65.

If you have a lot of money, then get the vaccine but you'll probably need a booster.

For those of you unvaccinated, if you can get acyclovir or a related med started within 24 hours of onset it will significantly attenuate the outbreak. Learn the symptoms, know where you can get fast access to the antiviral med.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 12th March 2018 at 12:29 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 12:44 PM   #4
dann
Philosopher

Recent thread: Shingles vaccine?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 03:01 PM   #5
Rincewind
Philosopher

Hi, The Gold Country,

Magrat is recovering from Shingles at the moment. It's been two weeks since it started.

She said it's by far the most painful thing that's ever happened to her - she has been crying with the pain - and she'd had two kids.

Her advice is to do it. And as soon as possible.

It struck the nerve on the right side of her face, and almost blinded her. The right side of her forehead was very swollen, with large red/black blotches, and is only now starting to recede.

After two weeks it's still very, very painful, and she's still unable to sleep for long.

If you'd like to ask questions, please message me, and she'll reply.
Old 12th March 2018, 04:11 PM   #6
RedPillNeo
Thinker

Lightbulb

In my mid 40s I had a mild outbreak of shingles, secondary to an infected cut on a finger. The itching was unrelenting and maddening, and it was such a small area!

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
if you can get acyclovir
Protip: Don't pronounce it as "Assy Clover." You'll annoy your healthcare provider. So I have been informed, from reading doctor forums online.
Old 12th March 2018, 04:29 PM   #7
Tanalia
Scholar

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
It struck the nerve on the right side of her face, and almost blinded her. The right side of her forehead was very swollen, with large red/black blotches, and is only now starting to recede.

After two weeks it's still very, very painful, and she's still unable to sleep for long.
Sorry to hear that.

I had it a couple years ago, left side of the head except for the area around eye, nose, and lips. After the first few days I found that calamine lotion helped immensely. Lasted close to 6 weeks, and then left me with the lovely parting gift of 2 months of Bell's palsy (paralysis) and numbness.

Last edited by Tanalia; 12th March 2018 at 04:30 PM. Reason: typo
Tanalia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 04:34 PM   #8
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by RedPillNeo View Post
In my mid 40s I had a mild outbreak of shingles, secondary to an infected cut on a finger. The itching was unrelenting and maddening, and it was such a small area!

Protip: Don't pronounce it as "Assy Clover." You'll annoy your healthcare provider. So I have been informed, from reading doctor forums online.
Unless your finger was cultured at the time there are 3 different viruses that could have caused that outbreak and shingles is the lowest on the likely list.

Sounds like HSV 1 or 2. Some doctors forget those viruses can infect fingers.Herpetic whitlow
Old 12th March 2018, 04:35 PM   #9
deadrose
Master Poster

Best wishes to Magrat, and hopes for a smooth recovery. One of my friends got some relief by topically applying clove oil. He figured if it was good for nerve pain in teeth it might work for other nerve pain. Worked pretty well for him, though some people are sensitive to it, so worth patch-testing so you don't inflame things worse.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 04:45 PM   #10
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Hi, The Gold Country,

Magrat is recovering from Shingles at the moment. It's been two weeks since it started.

She said it's by far the most painful thing that's ever happened to her - she has been crying with the pain - and she'd had two kids.

Her advice is to do it. And as soon as possible.

If you'd like to ask questions, please message me, and she'll reply.
I hope she was prescribed an anti-viral such as acyclovir- it can reduce the length and severity of the outbreak (at least a bit) and reduce the chances of a subsequent chronic pain syndrome. But I think one needs to start taking it early in the outbreak for it to work. Good luck!
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 05:43 PM   #11
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I hope she was prescribed an anti-viral such as acyclovir- it can reduce the length and severity of the outbreak (at least a bit) and reduce the chances of a subsequent chronic pain syndrome. But I think one needs to start taking it early in the outbreak for it to work. Good luck!
That's what she's taking, so thanks for the confirmation!

And thanks for the good wishes.

I didn't want to hijack the thread, however.

But - we have some pictures that might convince people to get vaccinated! I'll see what I can find.
Old 12th March 2018, 06:02 PM   #12
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I had it in my early 30's. You don't want it. And I'm astounded that it costs that much.
Old 12th March 2018, 07:13 PM   #13
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Vaccination + Valcyclovir, mine went away in a 10-14 days. My sister's, with acyclovir, hung around for a couple months.

But when my case was most active, I also had other symptoms of viral infection. Fever and aches.

Mine was in the median nerve- a string of spots down my thumb, under the thumbnail, down the index finger and under that thumbnail too. Plus a patch on the outer side of my upper arm. Yes, the median nerve does a patch of skin on your upper arm.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 07:32 PM   #14
Venom
Graduate Poster

I caught the chicken pox when I was 13. I'm 20 years younger than the OP. I don't know how much time I have if it's dormant. I still have visible scars on my arms. Could the virus be concentrated in the nerves around these bumps?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 07:57 PM   #15
foophil
Graduate Poster

I had a Shingles flare up about 4 years ago (age 36 at the time). I have regular Remicade infusions which are an immunosuppressant. My flare up was all on the outer side of my left leg and upper left arm. I apparently had a pretty mild case of it. Aside from discomfort and some itching, I lucked out. It was still miserable. Weeks of it. Not fun.

Get vaccinated if your doctor recommends it for sure.
foophil is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 08:12 PM   #16
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I caught the chicken pox when I was 13. I'm 20 years younger than the OP. I don't know how much time I have if it's dormant. I still have visible scars on my arms. Could the virus be concentrated in the nerves around these bumps?
It hibernates in a nerve root or two, not in a scar.
Old 12th March 2018, 08:15 PM   #17
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Vaccination + Valcyclovir, mine went away in a 10-14 days. My sister's, with acyclovir, hung around for a couple months.

But when my case was most active, I also had other symptoms of viral infection. Fever and aches.

Mine was in the median nerve- a string of spots down my thumb, under the thumbnail, down the index finger and under that thumbnail too. Plus a patch on the outer side of my upper arm. Yes, the median nerve does a patch of skin on your upper arm.
If you don't start the antiviral within 24 hours you don't get the same result.
Old 12th March 2018, 10:09 PM   #18
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Thanks for all the feedback. Appreciated.
Old 13th March 2018, 01:42 AM   #19
Tanja
Comfortably Numb

I had shingles at the start of this year, as I also mentioned in the other thread. It was the most miserable couple of weeks of my life. Get the vaccine.

The itching and nerve pain was just unbearable. I had it on my face, and unfortunately it's left some scarring. Nasty nasty illness.
Tanja is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 02:08 AM   #20
dann
Philosopher

If you don't start the antiviral within 24 hours you don't get the same result.

Which means that if you're the kind of person who doesn't rush to the doctor's office immediately when something hurts (and there are no other signs of shingles yet, which there often aren't) but instead wait to see if it doesn't stop hurting on its own, then it's already too late!

Quote:
Early symptoms of shingles may (!) include fever and general weakness. You may also feel areas of pain, burning, or a tingling sensation. A few days later (!!!), the first signs of a rash appear.
What does shingles look like (healthline.com)

I am that kind of person.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx

Last edited by dann; 13th March 2018 at 02:11 AM.
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 05:39 AM   #21
Rincewind
Philosopher

Here's the after 12 days image [from Sunday] - pretty gruesome.

A few days earlier the pressure from the swelling had closed both eyes, with the right being extremely painful.
Old 13th March 2018, 06:02 AM   #22
dann
Philosopher

I've seen worse!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

No, it actually looks much worse than what I've had.
I hope that it didn't leave scars the same size!
Old 13th March 2018, 06:39 AM   #23
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I've seen worse!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

No, it actually looks much worse than what I've had.
I hope that it didn't leave scars the same size!
And - that was day 12. It looked way worse earlier, especially when her face was swollen.
Old 13th March 2018, 12:23 PM   #24
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Which means that if you're the kind of person who doesn't rush to the doctor's office immediately when something hurts (and there are no other signs of shingles yet, which there often aren't) but instead wait to see if it doesn't stop hurting on its own, then it's already too late!
Which is why I say educate yourself about the symptoms and know where you can get access to the antiviral if you haven't had the vaccine. Actually, you should probably do the same even if vaccinated because it is not 100% effective.
Old 13th March 2018, 12:24 PM   #25
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7c608903f6.png

A few days earlier the pressure from the swelling had closed both eyes, with the right being extremely painful.
Bummer!

It looks scabbed over, that's a good sign.
Old 14th March 2018, 08:11 AM   #26
catsmate
No longer the 1

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...7c608903f6.png

Ewwwwww...
Did she have to carry a clapper and call out "unclean, unclean"?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th March 2018, 09:15 AM   #27
dann
Philosopher

Which is why I say educate yourself about the symptoms and know where you can get access to the antiviral if you haven't had the vaccine. Actually, you should probably do the same even if vaccinated because it is not 100% effective.

I didn't even recognize the symptoms the second time around, and I bet I could misinterpret them again a third time, depending on the location of the pain.
My description in my case: a very 'sharp' pain that's not at all affected by rubbing the place. (Remember: it's in the nerve itself!) Heat doesn't remove the pain, but alleviates it a little.
The first time, I thought it might be a hears condition, but I guess it's probably different kind of pain. (Never had one.) The second time, I thought it might be an ear infection, but the pain was sharper.
In my early thirties I had kidney stones twice in a week. The pain was much worse (in my case), even though the pain was duller.
Old 14th March 2018, 11:38 AM   #28
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Ewwwwww...
Did she have to carry a clapper and call out "unclean, unclean"?
That was my job.

But I quickly ran out of Treebeard and Quasimodo jokes...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology