ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th March 2018, 02:38 PM   #1
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
Lethal Exploding Packages in Austin, Texas

Two explosions today, one on March 2nd.

3 deadly package explosions in Austin appear connected, police say

Quote:
All the explosions occurred when people who lived at the residences went outside and picked up packages, Manley said. The packages were not delivered by the postal service or delivery services like UPS or FedEx, he said.
Quote:
Police also have not decided if these are hate crimes, but he said that's a possibility because of the victims' races.
All the victims are black.

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 02:45 PM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post

Thought they said an elderly woman was Hispanic?
Old 12th March 2018, 02:57 PM   #3
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Thought they said an elderly woman was Hispanic?
I didn't see that, do you have a source?

The teenager and man who were killed were both black.

gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 03:04 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I didn't see that, do you have a source?

The teenager and man who were killed were both black.
Wasn't one of the fatalities, just critically injured: officers were called to the scene of another explosion that badly injured a 75-year-old Hispanic woman.
Old 12th March 2018, 03:19 PM   #5
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Okay. I amend my statement. Victims are black or Hispanic.

Old 12th March 2018, 03:37 PM   #6
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

No joke -- last week I got this package on my doorstep. Hand-wrapped in plain brown paper, with a return address of Israel. I didn't recall ordering anything from there...
Well, eventually I picked it up and shook it, of course. Maybe a dumb idea. It was very light and made no noise (like ticking, or anything). I eventually realized it was the right size for a pair of garden watering globes I had ordered from Amazon. Apparently this came through a third party. With the free shipping, I can't see how that would be monetarily advantageous for Amazon, considering postage from Israel must be more than what these cost.
But they arrived in good shape. And didn't blow me up.
Old 12th March 2018, 03:42 PM   #7
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
No joke -- last week I got this package on my doorstep. Hand-wrapped in plain brown paper, with a return address of Israel. I didn't recall ordering anything from there...
Well, eventually I picked it up and shook it, of course. Maybe a dumb idea. It was very light and made no noise (like ticking, or anything). I eventually realized it was the right size for a pair of garden watering globes I had ordered from Amazon. Apparently this came through a third party. With the free shipping, I can't see how that would be monetarily advantageous for Amazon, considering postage from Israel must be more than what these cost.
Bombs don't tick.
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 04:51 PM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Yet.

It could have.......a........reaaalllllyyyy.............. ..........reaaaaaalllllllly........slowwwwwwww.... ...............................fuuuusssseeee
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 06:23 PM   #9
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Bombs don't tick.
Bombs DO tick, and they have red and blue wires, and you'd better cut the right one!

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 06:56 PM   #10
Marcus
Master Poster

It may not be about race. The bombings have so far all been in East Austin, which is primarily black. Perhaps it is related to the animosity over gentrification, people being priced out of their traditional neighborhoods. Or not. The police here are working overtime trying to figure it out, I'm sure we will find out shortly.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 07:17 PM   #11
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Bombs DO tick, and they have red and blue wires, and you'd better cut the right one!
Bombs are black spheres, like cannonballs except for a white rope sticking out of the top. You light the rope and it hisses and sparks, then you hand it to Daffy Duck.
Old 12th March 2018, 07:19 PM   #12
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not a bomb disposal expert, and don't play one on the interwebz. But why not just cut the wires that go to the detonator? Or pull the detonator out of the playdoh?
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 07:51 PM   #13
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I'm not a bomb disposal expert, and don't play one on the interwebz. But why not just cut the wires that go to the detonator? Or pull the detonator out of the playdoh?
Duh, when you cut the wrong wire, the visible timer display will immediately skip to 0 and then it goes boom. You're supposed to prevaricate which is the right wire to cut while the timer ticks down and then at 7 seconds before it ends, luckily cut the right wire.

And all the while, you should not look shaken yourself (nor stirred).
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 08:03 PM   #14
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

It's usually red and green. I'm color blind.

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
Duh, when you cut the wrong wire, the visible timer display will immediately skip to 0 and then it goes boom. You're supposed to prevaricate which is the right wire to cut while the timer ticks down and then at 7 seconds before it ends, luckily cut the right wire.

"007" seconds...

Sorry, I pushed this thread into joke territory. There is still a bomber out there.

Last edited by alfaniner; 12th March 2018 at 08:04 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 11:39 PM   #15
Polaris
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Bombs are black spheres, like cannonballs except for a white rope sticking out of the top. You light the rope and it hisses and sparks, then you hand it to Daffy Duck.
You only hand it to Daffy Duck if you want it to go off and have him stare at you blankly, covered in soot. For proper disposal, you must hand it to (Adam West's) Batman.

ETA: A link with the updates:
"There's vastly more truth to be found in rocks than in holy books. Rocks are far superior, in fact, because you can DEMONSTRATE the truth found in rocks. Plus, they're pretty. Holy books are just heavy." - Dinwar

"Let your ears hear this beautiful song that's hiding underneath the sound," Ed Kowalczyk.

Last edited by Polaris; 12th March 2018 at 11:41 PM.
Polaris is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 12:47 AM   #16
mgidm86
Illuminator

Goin' for a hate crime is CNN!

Quote:
The bombs killed a 39-year-old African-American man on March 2, killed a 17-year-old African-American male early Monday morning, and severely injured a 75-year-old Hispanic woman midday Monday. A woman hurt in the Monday morning explosion had non-life threatening injuries, police said.
"Sir do you think these are hate crimes?"
Chief: "We don't know either way"
"Isn't it at least possible though since none of the victims are white? I mean you can't say for sure that it isn't, correct?"
Chief: "Sure it isn't out of the question"

Reporter writes the following:

Quote:
Police also have not decided if these are hate crimes, but said that's a possibility because of the victims' races.
Always a possibility when the races are dark skinned.

Quote:
"The evidence makes us believe these incidents are related," Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said.
Brilliant work, Chief If they aren't related then you have a very odd problem in your neighborhood! Quote of the week!

Last edited by mgidm86; 13th March 2018 at 12:49 AM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 03:18 AM   #17
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Polaris View Post
Bombs don't tick.
Unless they have a mechanical timing device.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 05:58 AM   #18
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I always used old alarm clocks in mine...

Seriously, a serial bomber is no joke. How many people did dear old Ted kill or injure? These bombs are evidently well-made, both reliable and effective.
That’s unusual with these devices; most are poorly put-together or use improvised explosives that don’t work very well.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 06:12 AM   #19
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Seems like these are triggered when opened.

I wonder if the bomber wanted one person dead, and set the other bombs to confuse the issue?

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 06:15 AM   #20
The Greater Fool
Illuminator

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb."
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 13th March 2018, 06:57 AM   #21
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

I wonder if the bomber wanted one person dead, and set the other bombs to confuse the issue?
Been done.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 07:09 AM   #22
Marcus
Master Poster

Yes, they are saying that the bombs are very professionally made, it's not easy to make a bomb that won't go off ahead of time, but will go off when opened. The two black victims have a connection, through a prominent black leader, but none of them know the other victim, a 75 year old hispanic lady. Feds are of course now working on it in additional to the local police. Yesterday police got over a hundred calls from people worried about suspicious packages here in Austin but no further bombs so far.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 07:10 AM   #23
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Because sometimes there are countermeasures that prevent that. Depends on the construction.

A simple device, yeah, you can do just that. But more complex devices will have multiple circuits, possibly even multiple detonators. Cutting one will often cause the other to trigger immediately. There are also various types of switches that are sensitive to movement, or RF, or just about anything you can think of.

Sure, if it's simple, you can often just cut the wire or remove the detonator. All depends.

Note: Also not a bomb disposal expert, but I have been trained on manual land mine clearing and demolitions, and spent three months working with EOD in Iraq.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 07:39 AM   #24
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Because sometimes there are countermeasures that prevent that. Depends on the construction.

A simple device, yeah, you can do just that. But more complex devices will have multiple circuits, possibly even multiple detonators. Cutting one will often cause the other to trigger immediately. There are also various types of switches that are sensitive to movement, or RF, or just about anything you can think of.

Sure, if it's simple, you can often just cut the wire or remove the detonator. All depends.

Note: Also not a bomb disposal expert, but I have been trained on manual land mine clearing and demolitions, and spent three months working with EOD in Iraq.
And it depends how much they focused on killing the EOD techs. During the Blitz the Nazis often dropped bombs that would go off later to inhibit clean up and over time they focused on making ones that would be booby trapped to kill EOD techs.

"But according to a spokesman for the RLC regiment’s EOD division, high explosive, air-delivered German bombs are the most dangerous World War II items it has to deal with. Not only are they in a sensitive state – having already been deployed, armed and damaged by the impact with the ground – but they are fitted with a variety of different fuses, some designed to detonate immediately, others which featured some form of time-delay and some which were booby trapped, specially designed to kill EOD operators."

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015...an-ever-before
Old 13th March 2018, 07:59 AM   #25
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And it depends how much they focused on killing the EOD techs. During the Blitz the Nazis often dropped bombs that would go off later to inhibit clean up and over time they focused on making ones that would be booby trapped to kill EOD techs.

"But according to a spokesman for the RLC regiment’s EOD division, high explosive, air-delivered German bombs are the most dangerous World War II items it has to deal with. Not only are they in a sensitive state – having already been deployed, armed and damaged by the impact with the ground – but they are fitted with a variety of different fuses, some designed to detonate immediately, others which featured some form of time-delay and some which were booby trapped, specially designed to kill EOD operators."

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2015...an-ever-before
Yes, that's the idea I was getting at; booby-trapping an explosive isn't uncommon; dealing with that was a major part of our land mine training.

In the general sense (outside military or attacks targeting police), it usually isn't so much about killing EOD as about insuring that detonation occurs.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 08:14 AM   #26
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Well, let's hope the guy's not too good at it, and the next one goes off in his own hands and blows him to bits.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 09:02 AM   #27
Kings Full
Thinker

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

Certainly possible.
Kings Full is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 09:17 AM   #28
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by Kings Full View Post
Certainly possible.
Similar tactics have been tried before. The D.C. Sniper case (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.C._sniper_attacks), and the Stella Nickell case with poisoned Excedrin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stella_Nickell), just to name two from memory.
Old 13th March 2018, 09:22 AM   #29
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Goin' for a hate crime is CNN!

"Sir do you think these are hate crimes?"
Chief: "We don't know either way"
"Isn't it at least possible though since none of the victims are white? I mean you can't say for sure that it isn't, correct?"
Chief: "Sure it isn't out of the question"

Reporter writes the following:

Always a possibility when the races are dark skinned.
Always a racial angle. What if the perpetrator is black or Hispanic? Is it still a hate crime?
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 09:39 AM   #30
Kings Full
Thinker

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Always a racial angle. What if the perpetrator is black or Hispanic? Is it still a hate crime?
They'll completely ignore it and move on. It's what CNN does.
Kings Full is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 10:26 AM   #31
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

The right one is the yellow one.

No yellow? Too bad. You're a goner.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 10:29 AM   #32
gregthehammer
Muse

Well, let's hope the guy's not too good at it, and the next one goes off in his own hands and blows him to bits.
Kinda like the guy in this link?
http://www.wbay.com/content/news/One...475907803.html

Just happened this past week (not saying they are connected )
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 12:28 PM   #33
Marcus
Master Poster

Some details coming out now, the bombs are detonated by movement of the package, not opening it. Officials are speculating that Austin has become a hardened target with all the awareness and the bomber will go elsewhere. I don't know about that, we'll see I guess.
Old 13th March 2018, 01:09 PM   #34
Kings Full
Thinker

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Some details coming out now, the bombs are detonated by movement of the package, not opening it.
Ok, if true, that's crazy. This is either a very sophisticated, intelligent and competent bomb maker or he's a psycho nut job with a death wish. (could be both)

Officials are speculating that Austin has become a hardened target with all the awareness and the bomber will go elsewhere. I don't know about that, we'll see I guess.
Yeah, I'm not so sure about that either.
Old 13th March 2018, 01:15 PM   #35
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Ok, if true, that's crazy. This is either a very sophisticated, intelligent and competent bomb maker or he's a psycho nut job with a death wish. (could be both)
Not really, arduino and maker culture makes that kind of information and techniques much easier. It shows a greater focus on technology that many attempted bomb makers but the techniques are pretty easy.
Old 13th March 2018, 01:23 PM   #36
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ddt View Post

That's why you need the bomb maker to tell you which wire to cut. Then whichever wire he tells you to cut you do the opposite without telling anybody else on the team. That way if you blow up, the other members of your team will think that you cut the bomb maker's suggested colored wire and blow themselves up too!!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 01:26 PM   #37
Kings Full
Thinker

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Not really, arduino and maker culture makes that kind of information and techniques much easier. It shows a greater focus on technology that many attempted bomb makers but the techniques are pretty easy.
I'm not up to date on current bomb making technology so I'll take you at your word on that.

Perhaps I should have said 'I think it's crazy', because I do think that.
Old 13th March 2018, 01:48 PM   #38
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Does this bomber make certain that none of these people have home security surveillance cameras? Those will record people at the doorstep and sometimes the vehicle out at the driveway or street.
Old 13th March 2018, 01:54 PM   #39
Tony99
Muse

Some details coming out now, the bombs are detonated by movement of the package, not opening it. Officials are speculating that Austin has become a hardened target with all the awareness and the bomber will go elsewhere. I don't know about that, we'll see I guess.

Coworker lives a street over from the Monday morning bomb and it shook their house.
She mentioned the Feds have been making the rounds collecting video. Quite a few homes had external cameras. I hope they can glean some useful images.
Tony99 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th March 2018, 02:00 PM   #40
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that either.
I'm not up to date on current bomb making technology so I'll take you at your word on that.

Perhaps I should have said 'I think it's crazy', because I do think that.
Actually, you don't even have to go that far.

Don't really want to go into details, but this type of thing could be done easily, and fairly safely (as much as that word means when making bombs, anyway), using all low-tech, cheap, analog devices.

And of course, anyone making bombs to leave on people's doorsteps is already tilting the scales towards crazy, so that kinda goes without saying

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events