IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , mental illness issues , psychiatry incidents , psychiatry issues , Trump controversies

Old 20th October 2021, 12:00 AM   #1961
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Even in Powell's death, Trump can't help but make it all about himself.

As for his question as to whether he'll be treated thusly by the media, let's just hope we have an answer to that soon. Real soon.

Don't disappoint me like this! Powell!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2021, 12:05 AM   #1962
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
I posted this in another thread, but it fits here also.

I never wanted Trump to die while in office, because I didn't want him to be martyred. Now, I could care less if the big city bus of life ran him down. Just sayin'.

I do like the suggestion above/or in another tread of maybe drafting hypothetical obituaries for him, and leaking them to social media. Anything that still brings him pain, brings me joy. I am probably not a nice person anymore.

It's the unfortunate reaction you get to a narcissist who is trying to elevate himself by putting everybody else down (and by wearing elevator shoes). You begin to pay attention to and comment on all the little things about him that don't really matter and shouldn't concern you: his (lack of) hair, his big ass, his spelling, his elevator shoes ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2021, 01:03 AM   #1963
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Don't disappoint me like this! Powell!
Sorry, Dann! Mea culpa.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2021, 05:35 AM   #1964
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Number 11 - make annoying Youtube videos about how they are smarter than narcissists....

She may give you that impression by letting the photo of herself dominate the presentation of the YouTube video instead of having a photo that somehow illustrates the theme she is talking about. It also doesn't help that she is trying to sell her services.
I have seen a couple of YouTube videos with cartoon illustrations that make you think of Trump but not enough for him to be able to sue* them!

But I have seen much worse. What she has to say about narcissists and narcissism is OK, and it can't be reduced to, 'I am smarter than narcissists'.

*ETA: I am surprised that it is possible to publish a list like this one including contemporaries:
Quote:
Table of Contents
1. What is Narcissism?
1.1 Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD)
2. Famous Narcissists
Joan Crawford
Kanye West
Kim Kardashian
Mariah Carey
Madonna
Donald Trump
Jim Jones
Adolf Hitler
Famous Narcissists: Depression Alliance’s Top 8 (ThriveTalk, April 8, 2018)

I don't know enough about most of them to decide if it's true or not.

Last edited by dann; 20th October 2021 at 05:44 AM.
Old 20th October 2021, 06:07 AM   #1965
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

*ETA: I am surprised that it is possible to publish a list like this one including contemporaries:

Quote:
Table of Contents
1. What is Narcissism?
1.1 Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD)
2. Famous Narcissists
Joan Crawford
Kanye West
Kim Kardashian
Mariah Carey
Madonna
Donald Trump
Imma let you finish. But we need to say Donald “MeMeMeMe” Trump needs to be first on the list
Quote:
Quote:
Jim Jones
Adolf Hitler
Famous Narcissists: Depression Alliance’s Top 8 (ThriveTalk, April 8, 2018)

Quote:
I don't know enough about most of them to decide if it's true or not.

Last edited by Ladewig; 20th October 2021 at 06:11 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2021, 08:13 AM   #1966
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Isn't she violating Twitter rules or something posting a banned user's stuff on their behalf?

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-an...es/ban-evasion
This tiny forum has better rule enforcement than Twitter. She'd never get away with that here. My guess is that he's a public figure, and he puts the nonsense out in "press releases" on his letterhead. Which really redefines downwards the concept of a press release.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2021, 02:37 PM   #1967
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
This tiny forum has better rule enforcement than Twitter. She'd never get away with that here. My guess is that he's a public figure, and he puts the nonsense out in "press releases" on his letterhead. Which really redefines downwards the concept of a press release.
TBH, it should not matter if it was Donny, or Nigel Farage or Vladimir Putin she was acting as a channel for if they have been banned from Twitter. She is violating Twitter rules and should be "managed" forthwith.

But of course she won't be. Because she is hardly alone. There are likely tens of thousands of other Twits, if not millions, doing exactly the same thing with the same content. And Twitter doesn't want to stop such a lucrative income stream.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 07:06 PM   #1968
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

I found a Twitch gaming stream with insights into Trumps psychology just
a bit after the after the discussion of Rauchian Philosophy. It even scores
a few points by going into the origins of the cotton candy quote.

Twitch Link

Schrodinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
Don't ask what happened to Schrodinger's dog.
Solitaire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2021, 11:10 PM   #1969
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
I found a Twitch gaming stream with insights into Trumps psychology just
a bit after the after the discussion of Rauchian Philosophy. It even scores
a few points by going into the origins of the cotton candy quote.

Twitch Link
Ditch Penn's Sunday School, go full Matt and Mattingly's Ice Cream Social.
Old 5th November 2021, 01:39 AM   #1970
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Shrinks speculate on what happens if Trump wins in 2024.
Quote:
Trump's primitive emotional state make him an enormous danger to democracy, which he cannot abide. As a consequence, if he were to again become president, the end of democracy in this country would become a realistic possibility.
https://www.salon.com/2021/10/10/wha...-nothing-good/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2021, 07:16 PM   #1971
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

OH, NO! They haven't interviewed Trump in person so how can they possibly know he is a severely disturbed nut case? How would they possibly be able to determine that?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2021, 02:33 AM   #1972
dann
Penultimate Amazing

This guy did interview him:
"Utterly Delusional" - Jonathan Karl On No. 45's Mental State After Leaving Office (The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Nov 9, 2021)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 9th November 2021, 03:58 PM   #1973
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This guy did interview him:
"Utterly Delusional" - Jonathan Karl On No. 45's Mental State After Leaving Office (The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Nov 9, 2021)

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Kelly was right; they should have invoked the 25th A on Jan. 6 and Trump is utterly delusional...along with a majority of Republicans.
Old 9th November 2021, 04:09 PM   #1974
trustbutverify
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

Quote:
Trump's primitive emotional state make him an enormous danger to democracy, which he cannot abide. As a consequence, if he were to again become president, the end of democracy in this country would become a realistic possibility.
Which is exactly the point. The Trump rebellion is an anti-democratic movement. Democracy and democratic institutions are the enemy, not "elitists".
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2021, 04:32 PM   #1975
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Liz Cheney just said that Trump is "a dangerous and irrational man" and the GOP leaders are "willing hostages" to him.
Old 9th November 2021, 11:28 PM   #1976
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

GOP leaders aren't hostages, they are the hostage takers.
When Trump threatened to start his own party, they threatened to cut him off of the donor mailing lists and Legal Defense Fund - Trump caved straight away.
Old 10th November 2021, 01:26 AM   #1977
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Kelly was right; they should have invoked the 25th A on Jan. 6…

Which year?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 01:33 AM   #1978
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Which year?
2018!
Old 10th November 2021, 03:07 AM   #1979
Mojo
Mostly harmless

I was just wondering if it could have been invoked before he was sworn in.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 07:11 AM   #1980
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
GOP leaders aren't hostages, they are the hostage takers.
When Trump threatened to start his own party, they threatened to cut him off of the donor mailing lists and Legal Defense Fund - Trump caved straight away.
It's more complex than that. I posit that the Frankenstein is the now rabid, radicalized base. Recall how a rally crowd booed at Trump for having the temerity to suggest to think about getting vaccinated, and the orange sphincter pedaled back.

The Reich wing media machine has to cater to--even compete for--those many feverishly swiveling eyeballs, which can only have the spiraling madness perpetuate.

A beast has been unleashed upon the land. And the country as a whole is asleep while this restive monster broods and froths.

But what else can we expect in a nation where God 'n Guns are practically inseparable?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2021, 08:13 AM   #1981
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

All the TrumpFacistParty needs is someone like Tucker Carlson on their side: Fox is happy to be once again the kingmakers.
Old 10th November 2021, 10:07 AM   #1982
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
But what else can we expect in a nation where God 'n Guns are practically inseparable?

Only when you pry them from His cold, dead hands ...?
Old 10th November 2021, 12:32 PM   #1983
Lurch
Master Poster

It ain't only the sack of rotting yams who's sick. There's a national contagion that has awakened and emboldened the credulous marks, the uneducated provincials, the deplorable evangelicals, the Nazis, the gibbering lunatics. A critical mass has eschewed reality, and is bent on a nihilistic quest to maintain that high derived from the liberating expression of communal hate. A self reinforcing ecosystem of mutual dependence between leaders and the lead, with the distinction fuzzy and the roles exchanging.

Amazing that a minority can effect such chaos. But that's the price to be paid while free speech remains a prized right for even the architects of the system's demise to exercise. And after the populace has allowed itself to become increasingly uneducated, insular, xenophobic, disenfranchised, bamboozled, fearful and willfully ignorant. All while a somnolent justice apparatus abets Fascism in its feverish plotting unhindered.

A convulsive shock is coming. And the rest of the world is going to suffer for it.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2021, 07:35 PM   #1984
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I just watched a very interesting program on Trump including interviews with mental health professionals about his mental disorders and why and how he appealed to so many people. Historians compare his rise to how Mussolini was 'invited in by the ruling elite" and how they thought they could control him (think 2016 and today's GOP leadership) and with Hitler and his use of scapegoats (think immigration). They discuss how he uses the same techniques as Mussolini and Hitler in fostering a sense of victimization and fear and by removing a certain element (the scapegoat), it will make the country better and their lives better. He repeats things 3 times at rallies and gets the audience to repeat it. It then becomes fact to them. Interviews with those who know him reveal who he really is. It was made when Trump was still in office 2018) but is still relevant considering the grip he still has on the GOP. Although they focus on his control of nuclear weapons, etc., we know his real dangerousness was/is his attack on our democracy. It's fascinating and I highly recommend it.

Unfit: The Psychology of Donald Trump (about 1.5 hours)

Available on Youtube (in 7 parts) and Amazon Prime.
Old 27th December 2021, 07:40 PM   #1985
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

From the documentary I recommended above:

John Gartner, Ph.D:

Quote:
I actually interviewed the last living member of the ethics committee that formed the Goldwater rule and he said these were obviously wild speculations, they weren't founded in fact, and so they embarrassed the profession because they were really idle speculations and so that was why they passed that rule. He said to me, "We never intended it to be a gag order, meaning that psychiatrists could never speak up about public figures, we just didn't want them making unfounded statements."

So much for those who play the "ethical" card re: the Goldwater Rule.

Quote:
"It's being presented that 'we' are being unethical by speaking out and warning the public, when in fact I asked this question, "To whom will history be kinder? Those who spoke up during the age when Trump rose, or those who were silent?"
Old 27th December 2021, 08:33 PM   #1986
Warp12
Banned

Last edited by Warp12; 27th December 2021 at 10:19 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2022, 04:06 PM   #1987
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's time to resurrect this thread after everything that's happened since last Dec.

Would anyone like to still argue that Trump is NOT a pathological liar- malignant narcissist-sociopath?
Old 14th August 2022, 04:35 PM   #1988
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's time to resurrect this thread after everything that's happened since last Dec.

Would anyone like to still argue that Trump is NOT a pathological liar- malignant narcissist-sociopath?
No, it's actually Obama who's the narcissist. There's proof. Sooper dooper seekrit proof. Oh, and thin-skinned as well.
Old 14th August 2022, 05:09 PM   #1989
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
No, it's actually Obama who's the narcissist. There's proof. Sooper dooper seekrit proof. Oh, and thin-skinned as well.
Is that why he had to continue being the center of attention after his presidency ended? He just can't seem to give up the limelight, can he? All over TV all the time, holding rallies, having Dem bigwigs still coming to his "The 44th President of the United States" gilded office to kiss his ring, etc. It's just disgusting!

More evidence that, with right-wingers, every accusation is a confession.
Old 14th August 2022, 06:03 PM   #1990
xjx388

I’ve seen enough of Trump to know that he was the worst President we’ve ever had and shouldn’t have ever been in the running, much less elected. We, as a nation, need to fight against him being elected again and against anyone who still supports him.

I didn’t need a formal diagnosis to realize that. In fact, a diagnosis doesn’t tell me anything I couldn’t see with my own eyes. A diagnosis is 100% irrelevant to me because I ain’t trying to treat the dude; I just know I don’t want him as my President.

I still maintain that doctors shouldn’t make formal diagnoses on people they have never examined and that we shouldn’t be using mental health conditions as a basis to say that any person is dangerous or unqualified for something. Their actual actions and history should tell us all we need to know on that account.
Old 14th August 2022, 07:35 PM   #1991
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I’ve seen enough of Trump to know that he was the worst President we’ve ever had and shouldn’t have ever been in the running, much less elected. We, as a nation, need to fight against him being elected again and against anyone who still supports him.

I didn’t need a formal diagnosis to realize that. In fact, a diagnosis doesn’t tell me anything I couldn’t see with my own eyes. A diagnosis is 100% irrelevant to me because I ain’t trying to treat the dude; I just know I don’t want him as my President.

I still maintain that doctors shouldn’t make formal diagnoses on people they have never examined
Yes, you've made it perfectly clear that you think a formal diagnosis can't be made without an in-person evaluation because of "ethics" and the Goldwater Rule.
But then, I wasn't asking whether or not he needs an official diagnosis, just "Would anyone like to still argue that Trump is NOT a pathological liar- malignant narcissist-sociopath?" Whether or not it's an "official diagnosis" isn't the point: he'll never, ever get an in-person evaluation because....he's a narcissistic sociopath who thinks he's a 'stable genius' as he's told us.

Quote:
and that we shouldn’t be using mental health conditions as a basis to say that any person is dangerous or unqualified for something. Their actual actions and history should tell us all we need to know on that account.
On this I totally disagree as does the government. After all, there are many government, military and police positions that disqualify people who have failed to pass a mental health exam.

Quote:
Mental health is a security concern because it influences how a person perceives the world, makes decisions, and manages stress. The fact that an individual has had, or continues to have, an emotional, mental, or psychological condition does not, by itself, preclude granting access to classified information. The issue is whether the individual's condition causes, or may cause, poor judgment or unreliable, untrustworthy, or dysfunctional behavior.

Potentially disqualifying conditions:

(a) behavior that casts doubt on an individual's judgment, reliability, or trustworthiness that is not covered under any other guideline, including but not limited to emotionally unstable, irresponsible, dysfunctional, violent, paranoid, or bizarre behavior;

(b) an opinion by a duly qualified mental health professional that the individual has a condition not covered under any other guideline that may impair judgment, reliability, or trustworthiness;
https://www.military.com/veteran-job...learances.html
Old 14th August 2022, 08:57 PM   #1992
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Now that he is out of office, I want him to be as sane as possible - for purposes of culpability.
He is without a doubt a sociopath who only functions because he is constantly being enabled by others.
Old 14th August 2022, 09:08 PM   #1993
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Now that he is out of office, I want him to be as sane as possible - for purposes of culpability.
He is without a doubt a sociopath who only functions because he is constantly being enabled by others.
Sociopaths are legally sane. They know what society considers right, wrong, ethical, etc. They just don't care what society thinks.
Old 14th August 2022, 09:31 PM   #1994
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The thing about Trump is that he does care, desperately, what the authority figures in his life think about him.
His life is one big Daddy Issue.
Old 14th August 2022, 11:15 PM   #1995
xjx388

Yes, you've made it perfectly clear that you think a formal diagnosis can't be made without an in-person evaluation because of "ethics" and the Goldwater Rule.
But then, I wasn't asking whether or not he needs an official diagnosis, just "Would anyone like to still argue that Trump is NOT a pathological liar- malignant narcissist-sociopath?" Whether or not it's an "official diagnosis" isn't the point: he'll never, ever get an in-person evaluation because....he's a narcissistic sociopath who thinks he's a 'stable genius' as he's told us.
Then why use diagnostic terms? “Ignorant lying buffoon,” works pretty well too.

Quote:
On this I totally disagree as does the government. After all, there are many government, military and police positions that disqualify people who have failed to pass a mental health exam.

https://www.military.com/veteran-job...learances.html

There are certain manifestations of mental illness that might be disqualifying, but I’m more concerned with mental illness itself being synonymous with “dangerous,” or “unqualified.” What determines that is the actual behavior of the person.
Old 14th August 2022, 11:20 PM   #1996
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The thing about Trump is that he does care, desperately, what the authority figures in his life think about him.
His life is one big Daddy Issue.
So true. Something he's managed to pass down to his own children.
Old 14th August 2022, 11:36 PM   #1997
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Then why use diagnostic terms? “Ignorant lying buffoon,” works pretty well too..
Because that's what he is whether officially diagnosed or not. Lots of people are "ignorant lying buffoons" without being narcissistic sociopaths. If a woman isn't officially diagnosed by a doctor as being pregnant, it doesn't mean she's not pregnant. Nor does using "she's in the family way" or describing her as "having a bun in the oven", etc. change the fact she's pregnant.
Quote:
There are certain manifestations of mental illness that might be disqualifying, but I’m more concerned with mental illness itself being synonymous with “dangerous,” or “unqualified.” What determines that is the actual behavior of the person
I agree that mental illness is not synonymous with “dangerous,” or “unqualified.” Most aren't either. But that's not what you originally said. And there are absolutely certain manifestations of mental illness that definitely are dangerous and disqualifying for certain positions.

I do have to wonder if Trump would have been elected in the first place if he had been officially diagnosed as a malignant narcissist and sociopath. We'll never know.
Old 15th August 2022, 07:10 AM   #1998
slyjoe
Illuminator

...snip
There are certain manifestations of mental illness that might be disqualifying, but I’m more concerned with mental illness itself being synonymous with “dangerous,” or “unqualified.” What determines that is the actual behavior of the person.
Then why not tell the Republicans? Remember Ed Muskie's wife?
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2022, 07:43 AM   #1999
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

We've actually reached the point where it is being argued, that being mentally ill does not necessarily disqualify someone from serving as president of the United States of America? Think about that. Let it sink in.

Calling Jordan Klepper.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2022, 07:44 AM   #2000
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
We've actually reached the point where it is being argued, that being mentally ill does not necessarily disqualify someone from serving as president of the United States of America? Think about that. Let it sink in.
The wrong, bad people of the world learned a few years back that normalizing their wrongness gives them a much better return on investment of time and effort that arguing with it.

We are "civilly debating" so much absurdity these days.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics