ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th March 2018, 01:42 PM   #561
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

ULA managed to screw up the paperwork, but they were carrying a government payload, so they gazumped the SpaceX launch. Now going to be tomorrow morning. No landing attempt though, the seas are too rough and it was going to be marginal anyway.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 02:34 PM   #562
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
ULA managed to screw up the paperwork, but they were carrying a government payload, so they gazumped the SpaceX launch. Now going to be tomorrow morning. No landing attempt though, the seas are too rough and it was going to be marginal anyway.
I have read its no landing attempt because the orbit the payload is going into does not permit it (not enough fuel reserve for the boostback & entry burns)
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 05:01 PM   #563
cjameshuff
Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I have read its no landing attempt because the orbit the payload is going into does not permit it (not enough fuel reserve for the boostback & entry burns)
It would have been an experimental landing with very low margins, but they were going to attempt one, it was called off due to weather.
cjameshuff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 06:13 PM   #564
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
It would have been an experimental landing with very low margins, but they were going to attempt one, it was called off due to weather.
Right. They will probably have a go anyway but without JTRI in place, so the core will splash (like they did a few weeks ago).
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 04:04 PM   #565
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Right. They will probably have a go anyway but without JTRI in place, so the core will splash (like they did a few weeks ago).
They did a three engine landing burn, but the grid fins had been removed. They are still gathering data for FH centre core recovery. If they can achieve consistent three engine landing burns on the ADAS then they can push the working envelope for FH even further.

The latest launch was significantly heavier than anything they had launched to GTO, but they had been willing to attempt a risky landing. C'est la vie, the sea state scotched that idea.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 04:13 PM   #566
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

There he goes again

Short trips to Mars 'next year'

Originally Posted by BBC News
Elon Musk, a man prone to ludicrous deadlines, has birthed another: a mission to Mars in 2019.

"I think we’ll be able to do short flights, up and down flights, some time in the first half of next year," he told an audience at the South by South West (SXSW) festival in Austin, Texas.

He said it was vital humans reached the Red Planet before the next "probable" world war.

A Mars colony, he said, would reduce the chance of an extended new Dark Ages if a nuclear conflict was to wipe out life on Earth.

But, aware of his reputation, he added: "Sometimes my timelines are a little... y’know."...
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-43367191
Old 11th March 2018, 06:29 PM   #567
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Short trips to Mars 'next year'

I'm not reading that the way you are. The headline doesn't say what you think it says

"Short trips to Mars 'next year'" is not the same thing as "Mars ship test flights 'next year'"

Quote:
Must said "I think we’ll be able to do short flights, up and down flights, some time in the first half of next year,"
This sounds like testing of the BFR to me, the same sort of thing he did with Falcon 9 cores and the Dragon capsule... ie. lift off and land to test landing systems.

IMO, you need to check your reading comprehension.
Old 11th March 2018, 06:31 PM   #568
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

He's talking about test flights for the BFR into orbit and back, not actual flights to Mars. (What would a "short flight" to mars even mean?).

I still think it's not likely they'll meet that deadline, but it's very different from thinking he said they'd go to Mars next year which your bolded text implies.

ETA Ninja'd. And yeah, I think smartcooky is right and I was misaken: these test flights wouldn't even be going to orbit.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Roboramma; 11th March 2018 at 06:33 PM.
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 06:39 PM   #569
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Better check on exactly what he said because he may have said Mars for next year.
Old 11th March 2018, 06:52 PM   #570
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

BBC seems to be the only ones with that kind of headline. But Musk did crack a joke about his own timeline(s). Maybe that's his way of saying don't make bets on it.
Old 11th March 2018, 07:00 PM   #571
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

BBC seems to be the only ones with that kind of headline. But Musk did crack a joke about his own timeline(s). Maybe that's his way of saying don't make bets on it.
Yes, because just getting BFR to the point of doing test flights will be a huge achievement and I don't think they are likely to get there by next year.

Whoever wrote the BBC article may have misunderstood what he said, but based on Musk's actual words there's no implication of a flight to Mars next year.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2018, 07:09 PM   #572
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

LOL! In the time since I posted the link the BBC has changed the headline.
Old 11th March 2018, 07:12 PM   #573
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This was the exact original BBC headline...

Elon Musk: Short trips to Mars 'next year'
Old 11th March 2018, 07:23 PM   #574
smartcooky
Philosopher

I don't disbelieve you but I am surprised that the Beeb would make such a mistake.

Now, if we were talking about the Flail....
Old 11th March 2018, 07:42 PM   #575
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

I don't disbelieve you but I am surprised that the Beeb would make such a mistake.

Now, if we were talking about the Flail....
They did and here is the proof...

Correction: An earlier version of this article said the test flights would be 'to Mars'. While Mr Musk eventually intends to reach the planet, next year's tests will involve trial runs of the ship into space.
Old 11th March 2018, 10:59 PM   #576
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

They did and here is the proof...

Kinda suggests that using headlines ... anybody's headlines ... as the basis for serious criticism of someone's statements may not be the most useful data set.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2018, 02:24 AM   #577
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Kinda suggests that using headlines ... anybody's headlines ... as the basis for serious criticism of someone's statements may not be the most useful data set.

Amen to that!!
Old 16th March 2018, 12:33 AM   #578
Octavo
Illuminator

First full-duration static fire of a Block 5 booster reported at McGregor - booster should be on the road soon, down to the Cape.

5 Launches planned for April, although slips are likely, the cadence for 2018 looks like it could be a real inflection point for the industry.
Old 23rd March 2018, 02:34 AM   #579
Octavo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Octavo View Post
First full-duration static fire of a Block 5 booster reported at McGregor - booster should be on the road soon, down to the Cape.

5 Launches planned for April, although slips are likely, the cadence for 2018 looks like it could be a real inflection point for the industry.
Second Block 5 booster spotted leaving Hawthorne yesterday.

The SteamRoller continues.
Old 27th March 2018, 02:20 AM   #580
Octavo
Illuminator

SpaceX secure 10 year lease on a huge waterfront lot for the manufacture of large commercial vehicles (read: BFR).

SpaceX has previously talked about building BFR either at the launch site or next to water to allow barge transport. Looks like they've decided to stay in LA.

https://www.teslarati.com/spacexs-fi...ort-la-photos/

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology