ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th March 2018, 08:07 AM   #1
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

50 metre asteroid hitting the Atlantic ocean

Say an asteroid travelling at an average speed for an asteroid hit broadly the centre of the Atlantic and I was sitting in a beach on the south west tip of the UK. What would I see on that beach in the hours following the impact and what would the wider implications be for earth?
Old 4th March 2018, 09:46 AM   #2
Wolrab
Illuminator

Which way are you looking?
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2018, 09:49 AM   #3
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by Undesired Walrus View Post
Say an asteroid travelling at an average speed for an asteroid hit broadly the centre of the Atlantic and I was sitting in a beach on the south west tip of the UK. What would I see on that beach in the hours following the impact and what would the wider implications be for earth?
Not sure for that, but much more sure for a 500 meter one....
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2018, 10:19 AM   #4
GodMark2
Master Poster

https://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEarth/ImpactEffects/
Summary:

25cm Tsunami arriving 6 hours after impact
45dB sonic boom arriving 1.7 hours after impact (easily heard, not painful)
Otherwise a normal spring day.
Old 4th March 2018, 10:43 AM   #5
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Ok you see how little I know. Let's say enough size and enough force to cause a devastating tsunami. What would the calculations be for that using that guide and what would I see?
Old 4th March 2018, 03:54 PM   #6
WhatRoughBeast
Graduate Poster

Undesired Walrus - This is not a site intended to spoon-feed you. You have the link. Go play with it. If there is something specific you don't understand, ask a question, but don't expect other people to do your work for you.
WhatRoughBeast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2018, 04:22 PM   #7
Kings Full
Scholar

Originally Posted by GodMark2 View Post
Summary:

25cm Tsunami arriving 6 hours after impact
45dB sonic boom arriving 1.7 hours after impact (easily heard, not painful)
Otherwise a normal spring day.
Oh the humanity!!

Kings Full is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2018, 04:23 PM   #8
Kings Full
Scholar

Originally Posted by WhatRoughBeast View Post
Undesired Walrus - This is not a site intended to spoon-feed you. You have the link. Go play with it. If there is something specific you don't understand, ask a question, but don't expect other people to do your work for you.
relax....
Kings Full is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 01:28 AM   #9
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

I'm more interested in what I'd see visually in terms of the sky turning another colour (?) or what sound I'd hear? Would the tsunami from something like this bear a resemblance to the standard tsunami you see as a result of earthquakes or something more dramatic? Would the birds turn back from the sea? What would I smell?

And finally, what would kill me first?
Old 5th March 2018, 03:39 AM   #10
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

The zombies, I expect. It's almost always the zombies.

You probably won't be able to see them, though, since you were stupid enough to sit there and watch the meteor flash. You'll probably be blind.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 10:57 AM   #11
CORed
Philosopher

I'm more interested in what I'd see visually in terms of the sky turning another colour (?) or what sound I'd hear? Would the tsunami from something like this bear a resemblance to the standard tsunami you see as a result of earthquakes or something more dramatic? Would the birds turn back from the sea? What would I smell?

A 25 cm tsunami? You wouldn't even notice it unless it was an extraordinarily calm day.

What would kill you first? Dehydration or hypothermia, if you just stayed on the beach waiting to die. Otherwise, nothing.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 11:08 AM   #12
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

That: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelyabinsk_meteor

Was caused by a 20 meter meteor. Just for an idea of the scale of damage.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 11:15 AM   #13
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post

Not a very reliable article.

It doesn't even mention the zombies.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 12:30 PM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Say an asteroid travelling at an average speed for an asteroid
Average speed relative to what?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 01:53 PM   #15
nota
Critical Thinker

angle of intersection matters a lot also
the russian meteor was going across the sky at a shallow angle
so in the air longer and slowed more converted speed to heat
so very small fragments and no big impact crater

if one comes strait down it hits alot harder so bigger crater or tidal splash
nota is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 02:10 PM   #16
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

This document suggests an entry speed of 24km/s (the previously linked site suggests using 17 km/s):

http://www2.mae.ufl.edu/~uhk/ASTEROID.pdf

Either way, not too much of an event. Even scaling up to 500m gives magnitude 7 seismic shock, a bang loud enough to break some windows and a ten to 20 foot tsunami.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 02:16 PM   #17
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

How about this scenario?

https://impact.ese.ic.ac.uk/ImpactEa...&wdepthUnits=1

If the Tsunami wave is 121.0 meters isn't that huge? How would it look in comparison to those videos from the Japanese tsunami?
Old 5th March 2018, 02:19 PM   #18
Alphaba
Optical Allusion

From all what I read a 50m non metallic asteroid would disintegrate while entering Earth atmosphere.

Both composition and size are to take into account.

I'm worried only about 500m+ ones...
Alphaba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 02:26 PM   #19
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

If the Tsunami wave is 121.0 meters isn't that huge? How would it look in comparison to those videos from the Japanese tsunami?
Yes that is very huge.

Initially the ocean recedes before tsunami waves arrive. This would be extremely dramatic. From the beach, it would appear as if the ocean vanished. You might not be able to see the water at all without binoculars.

Then it comes.
Old 5th March 2018, 02:31 PM   #20
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Yeah, with that size, prior to the arriving waves...

It would appear as if someone had opened a drain in the bottom of the ocean and all the water just went away.
Old 5th March 2018, 02:34 PM   #21
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Yes that is very huge.

Initially the ocean recedes before tsunami waves arrive. This would be extremely dramatic. From the beach, it would appear as if the ocean vanished. You might not be able to see the water at all without binoculars.

Then it comes.
Thanks. Why?
Old 5th March 2018, 02:36 PM   #22
Venom
Graduate Poster

Have you ever seen End Day?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 02:42 PM   #23
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Doesn't work sorry.
Old 5th March 2018, 02:43 PM   #24
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Thanks. Why?
It's the physics involved in the wave formation and propagation. In order to create a 121 meter tsunami wave the water has to be "taken" from somewhere. It will take all of the water away from the coast or beach.
Old 5th March 2018, 02:47 PM   #25
Undesired Walrus
Penultimate Amazing

Freaky.

Would the tsunami wave resemble the overly dramatic all-in-one waves from Deep Impact and such or gradually build?
Old 5th March 2018, 02:52 PM   #26
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It would not likely be one single big wave. It should be numerous waves with the largest not being the first. There could be surprisingly long intervals between waves.
Old 5th March 2018, 08:26 PM   #27
fuelair
Suspended

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Average speed relative to what?
Other average asteroids I would think!!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2018, 08:43 PM   #28
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Freaky.

Would the tsunami wave resemble the overly dramatic all-in-one waves from Deep Impact and such or gradually build?
Apparently there are no known historic examples of tsunamis caused by large meteor impacts. There's geologic evidence of some prehistoric impacts maybe.

It could be they behave differently from tsunamis caused by earthquakes.

I kinda doubt it would look like in the movies, and I imagine it would look more like the Japan tsunami or the Indian Ocean tsunami. It's like the ocean just starts rising rather than a wave that looks like something a surfer would ride.
Old 5th March 2018, 09:01 PM   #29
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Tell me more, o thou expert asteroid consultant.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 08:32 AM   #30
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
That's a very weird answer.

I would think he was pretty obviously talking it's speed relative to the earth, as that's the value that will actually tell us something about the impact.

I think typical velocities are on the order of tens of km/s, but I can't say anything more specific than that offhand. If you get more than some tens of km/s you get to solar escape velocity, in which case you're not dealing with an object from within our solar system but something interstellar, and that would just be much rarer.

I'm sure someone else knows more than I do, or can actually do a little research.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 09:15 AM   #31
jonesdave116
Master Poster

The velocity of the impact will be dependent on whether the Earth is orbiting head on into the asteroid, or whether it is catching us up from behind. The Earth orbits at ~ 30 km/s, so it will make a big difference. Without checking, OK, so I checked! Here is an impact calculator, which tells us that impacts are minimum 11 km/s. 17 km/s average for asteroids. Comets can be a lot faster:

Unfortunately it doesn't calculate tsunami size! For a 3000 kg m3 rocky asteroid, we can expect it to break up, and it will be an airburst, same as Tunguska.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
jonesdave116 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 02:30 PM   #32
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I think it depends on the type of asteroid as to whether it breaks up or not. A solid iron one will not, but one made up of loose stones will.
Old 6th March 2018, 03:45 PM   #33
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Yes that is very huge.

Then it comes.
Given the stories from the Boxing Day Tsunami, it was the thing that really struck me. If you see the sea suddenly disappear, run like hell.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2018, 03:54 PM   #34
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
Given the stories from the Boxing Day Tsunami, it was the thing that really struck me. If you see the sea suddenly disappear, run like hell.
That was the old advice. The new one is: start streaming.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 07:54 AM   #35
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
Yes, but then Walrus proposed a 121 meter tsunami wave which is very much larger than what occurred in 2004. This could potentially withdraw the ocean for several miles offshore.
Old 7th March 2018, 08:04 AM   #36
Tolls
Illuminator

But his tsunami would originate 30 miles offshore (that's the impact distance), so I'm not too sure how that would work.

And even then, you'd be killed in a number of interesting ways long before the water hit, if I'm reading that page correctly.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 08:06 AM   #37
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by WhatRoughBeast View Post
Well, that escalated quickly...

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 08:07 AM   #38
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post

If you're sitting below the shockwave, sure. Not if you're on the other end of the ocean.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2018, 08:09 AM   #39
Belz...
Fiend God

Freaky.
One of the scariest things one can see, I think. You're on the beach and see the ocean disappear, you know you're dead. I don't think you can reach safe distance in time.

Old 7th March 2018, 08:10 AM   #40
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Apparently there are no known historic examples of tsunamis caused by large meteor impacts. There's geologic evidence of some prehistoric impacts maybe.

It could be they behave differently from tsunamis caused by earthquakes.

I kinda doubt it would look like in the movies, and I imagine it would look more like the Japan tsunami or the Indian Ocean tsunami. It's like the ocean just starts rising rather than a wave that looks like something a surfer would ride.
Oh, it's kind of like in the movies.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology