ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #241
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
<snip>

And while it's true that a higher proportion of fundamentalist christians tend to be conservative in view... It's not exactly a hard-and-fast rule. There are lots of fundamentalists in the liberal spectrum. You also end up with some unusual intersections - fundamentalist Jews and Muslims are somewhat more likely to lean to the Democrats than to the Republicans... which in the US tends to mean that they're more associated with a liberal view than a conservative one. You also end up with some very fundamentalist black evangelicals being significantly more likely to be Democrats than Republicans.

I note a common theme in the examples you mention here that probably carries more weight than their nominal religious affiliations. They are all minority groups which conservatives and Republicans are often more than eager to use as scapegoats in their hate-fests whenever they think they can get away with it.

Makes party choices a little easier when one of them likes to use your race or ethnicity as a target.

Last edited by quadraginta; Yesterday at 09:40 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 05:36 PM   #242
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

[quote=xjx388;12079574]Yes. My overarching point is that conservatives do deny reality because they are human and all humans deny reality. Speak for yourself, and your own unfortunate experience of the human race. We know that many conservatives deny reality because they do it so regularly and unashamedly in person. There's no need to generalise.

[quote]Your overarching intent is to manufacture an example of "liberals doing it too", which boils down to the argument that adopting any but the most fantastical and impracticable policy on AGW is a denial of reality
Quote:
The democrat/climate change stuff was an illustration of that.

If they aren't meant to solve global warming, then what are they meant to do?
Contribute to the solution. [quote]Make us feel like we are doing something when, clearly, we aren't doing anywhere near enough and certainly not fast enough? It would be doing something. The sooner we do stuff - and we have started - the more we slow the process and delay the point of undeniable failure. You deny the reality of that in your increasingly febrile pursuit of "liberals doing it too".

[quote]The whole point is that it's reality-denial to say that we can implement these kinds of slow changes and then claim that we are "combating global warming," when global warming will continue unabated under such proposals. They would not continue unabated, they would be abated by the contribution of all that extra solar generation over the twenty-odd years of its lifetime - and probably more for the supporting infrastructure. That is combating AGW.
Quote:
Nobody wants to face the actual reality that we need to make drastic, drastic cuts to our emissions AND rapidly develop and implement carbon sequestration technologies AND remake the way we feed ourselves AND . . . certainly not either one of our political parties because the People of the US have their blinders on and such drastic changes are not politically viable.
It's not "putting blinders on " not to adopt unviable political positions. That's simply recognising reality. The Green Party is clearly your natural home, and they didn't beat Trump either. Some here may remember my contribution to the AGW debate way back, and can confirm that I was an early adopter of the "we're screwed" position. I don't expect to "cure" AGW, but I'm determined not to be left speeechless if the younger generation points a finger at me and asks "What did you do?"

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150

Last edited by CapelDodger; Today at 05:37 PM.
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics