ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Dave Thomas , richard gage , wtc collapse

Old 19th August 2010, 10:45 AM   #161
excaza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ergo View Post
I don't know. What do they do?
You tell me, use your "physics." It should make no difference, correct?
Old 19th August 2010, 10:46 AM   #162
BigAl
Philosopher

I asked first. Please explain, or link to an explanation, of how rubble can crush an intact building.
Gravity and momentum.

Here's a video of falling water destroying stuff, (2 minutes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w4tvAGOEpo
Dept of Redundancy Dept.
BigAl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2010, 10:46 AM   #163
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Um, no. Each grain of sand now has its own mass where it was formerly part of the mass of the boulder. That mass is affected by whatever work you're imparting to it. It is affected by air friction. It is affected by the random movements of neighbouring grains of sand. It is affected by the natural resistance of the piano. Therefore, grains of sand descending onto a piano do not do the same damage, even from the same height, or in the same amount of time, as a boulder does.

Speaking of "violating the laws of physics".

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2010, 10:51 AM   #164
ergo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by excaza View Post
You tell me, use your "physics." It should make no difference, correct?
It's your example. Explain what happens in it and how it applies.
ergo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2010, 10:52 AM   #165
ergo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by DGM View Post
Originally Posted by ergo
Um, no. Each grain of sand now has its own mass where it was formerly part of the mass of the boulder. That mass is affected by whatever work you're imparting to it. It is affected by air friction. It is affected by the random movements of neighbouring grains of sand. It is affected by the natural resistance of the piano. Therefore, grains of sand descending onto a piano do not do the same damage, even from the same height, or in the same amount of time, as a boulder does.
Speaking of "violating the laws of physics".
What part of what I explain do you think is incorrect?
ergo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2010, 10:55 AM   #166
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

What part of what I explain do you think is incorrect?
The "bolder" is a falling mass of "particles". You go wrong when you mention "time".

"How many leaves on the seventh branch of the fourth tree?" is meaningless when you are in the wrong forest: ozeco41
DGM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2010, 10:57 AM   #167
ergo
Illuminator

The "bolder" is a falling mass of "particles". You go wrong when you mention "time".
Yes, in particle physics. You guys are hilarious.

I didn't bring up the impact time. Myriad did.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:00 AM   #168
ergo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Gravity and momentum.

Here's a video of falling water destroying stuff, (2 minutes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w4tvAGOEpo
How does this video explain the destruction of a 90-storey steel and concrete building in 13 seconds or less by rubble falling 12 feet?

Actually, never mind that. How do gravity and momentum explain this?
Old 19th August 2010, 11:01 AM   #169
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Yes, in particle physics. You guys are hilarious.

I didn't bring up the impact time. Myriad did.
Is this not your words?

Quote:
The statement is wrong!

Your arguing physics but you don't want to be exact? You don't understand the problem with this?

Old 19th August 2010, 11:02 AM   #170
bill smith
Philosopher

Particles and small rubble behave as a liquid does DGM. It runs over and around obstacles applying far less pressure than a solid mass would. Look at the videos and the masses of rubble being shed at the moment of impact. It spills off the lower part. I'm sure I can find a Chandler video that illustrates it beautifully if you have any doubts.
bill smith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2010, 11:03 AM   #171
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Originally Posted by bill smith View Post
Particles and small rubble behave as a liquid does DGM. It runs over and around obstacles applying far less pressure than a solid mass would. Look at the videos and the masses of rubble being shed at the moment of impact. It spills off the lower part. I'm sure I can find a Chandler video that illustrates it beautifully if you have any doubts.
Time!

Old 19th August 2010, 11:03 AM   #172
ergo
Illuminator

You don't understand the problem with this?
No. And neither, apparently, do you.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:06 AM   #173
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

No. And neither, apparently, do you.
Well actually I do. That's why I don't claim the collapse (as described by NIST) violates the laws of physics.

Old 19th August 2010, 11:08 AM   #174
ergo
Illuminator

Well actually I do.
Then please explain in plain language your objections to what I wrote instead of merely stating your opinion.

I should say, in complete sentences.

Last edited by ergo; 19th August 2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:09 AM   #175
BigAl
Philosopher

How does this video explain the destruction of a 90-storey steel and concrete building in 13 seconds or less by rubble falling 12 feet?

Actually, never mind that. How do gravity and momentum explain this?

Quote:
"The linear momentum of a system of particles is the vector sum of the momenta of all the individual objects in the system"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum
Take a physics course or work through these excellent 10 minute segments on basic physics and Newton's laws.
http://www.khanacademy.org/#Physics
You show zero interest in actually learning anything.
Dept of Redundancy Dept.

Last edited by BigAl; 19th August 2010 at 11:19 AM.
BigAl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2010, 11:14 AM   #176
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Then please explain in plain language your objections to what I wrote instead of merely stating your opinion.

I should say, in complete sentences.
Please have your parents forward tuition money to me.

Your claim is the collapse (as described by NIST) "violates the laws of physics".

Your explanation boils down to "because I think so".

Now you want me to spend my time giving you a physics lesson?

Are you insane? Your claim, Support it!

ETA: Bet you can't!

Last edited by DGM; 19th August 2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Bet
Old 19th August 2010, 11:26 AM   #177
pgimeno
Illuminator

I asked first. Please explain, or link to an explanation, of how rubble can crush an intact building.
You asked for an example. I gave you some examples, see post #128.

ETA:
12 feet? Rubble fell all the way down.

Last edited by pgimeno; 19th August 2010 at 11:30 AM.
pgimeno is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2010, 11:32 AM   #178
ergo
Illuminator

Your claim is the collapse (as described by NIST) "violates the laws of physics".
Changing the topic? I have never said this in this thread. I am asking you to elaborate on what part of this:

Each grain of sand now has its own mass where it was formerly part of the mass of the boulder. That mass is affected by whatever work you're imparting to it. It is affected by air friction. It is affected by the random movements of neighbouring grains of sand. It is affected by the natural resistance of the piano. Therefore, grains of sand descending onto a piano do not do the same damage, even from the same height, or in the same amount of time, as a boulder does.
you don't understand or find objectionable. Please use complete sentences.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:34 AM   #179
ergo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by pgimeno View Post
12 feet? Rubble fell all the way down.
"All the way down" where?
Old 19th August 2010, 11:43 AM   #180
BigAl
Philosopher

Changing the topic? I have never said this in this thread. I am asking you to elaborate on what part of this:

Quote:
Each grain of sand now has its own mass where it was formerly part of the mass of the boulder. That mass is affected by whatever work you're imparting to it. It is affected by air friction. It is affected by the random movements of neighbouring grains of sand. It is affected by the natural resistance of the piano. Therefore, grains of sand descending onto a piano do not do the same damage, even from the same height, or in the same amount of time, as a boulder does.
you don't understand or find objectionable. Please use complete sentences.
A complete sentence:

Quote:
"The linear momentum of a system of particles is the vector sum of the momenta of all the individual objects in the system"

http://en.wikipedia.orgwiki/Momentum
Dept of Redundancy Dept.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:50 AM   #181
ergo
Illuminator

A complete sentence:
Quote:

Thanks. So how does this apply to rubble crushing a building?

Last edited by ergo; 19th August 2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 19th August 2010, 11:58 AM   #182
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Maybe we should try this?

Why wouldn't rubble crush a building?

(I believe that's a complete sentence)

Old 19th August 2010, 12:01 PM   #183
BigAl
Philosopher

Momentum and gravity.

Are we going in circles here ?
Dept of Redundancy Dept.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:01 PM   #184
ergo
Illuminator

Why wouldn't rubble crush a building?
Because the rubble is a loose and randomized collection of building fragments and tends to spill over the sides. Individual rubble pieces do not have sufficient mass to crush through intact building components.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:02 PM   #185
ergo
Illuminator

Are we going in circles here ?
You are.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:03 PM   #186
BigAl
Philosopher

Because the rubble is a loose and randomized collection of building fragments and tends to spill over the sides. Individual rubble pieces do not have sufficient mass to crush through intact building components.
One more time:

Quote:

Dept of Redundancy Dept.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:05 PM   #187
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Explain "spilling over the sides". Does this involve a change in the direction that this mass is traveling?

Old 19th August 2010, 12:06 PM   #188
ergo
Illuminator

One more time:
One more time:

Quote:
Please explain how linear momentum of a system of particles applies to rubble crushing a building.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:07 PM   #189
ergo
Illuminator

Explain "spilling over the sides". Does this involve a change in the direction that this mass is traveling?
Yes.

Old 19th August 2010, 12:08 PM   #190
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

One more time:

Please explain how linear momentum of a system of particles applies to rubble crushing a building.
See post #187

Old 19th August 2010, 12:09 PM   #191
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Is there energy transfered to the object that caused the "change in direction?

Old 19th August 2010, 12:11 PM   #192
ergo
Illuminator

Is there energy transfered to the object that caused the "change in direction?
Yes.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:11 PM   #193
Myriad
Hyperthetical

A volume of rubble is not an integral unit. Its ability to apply force on something is mitigated by the differential actions of its thousands of independent components, all doing different things, many of them falling outside the crushing zone. Yes, it may have less air than an intact storey supported by steel columns, but force is distributed totally haphazardly on any structure below, and, as we can see, much of this results in a loss of mass to the system.

Each piece of rubble is being pulled by gravity in the same direction. Slowing all of it down by a certain amount in a given amount of time (e.g. slowed enough in a short enough time to prevent it crashing through the next floor) requires the same force as it it were all attached together as one single object. Unless you can spread out the individual impacts over time -- but you cannot, because nothing is holding any of it up.

Quote:
I don't have calculations. I know Bazant makes some, but obviously has to underestimate if his theory is to survive.

That's a fail. If you don't have calculations then you have no real argument.

You see, people who actually make decisions about important things, like how to construct buildings and how to update building codes and whether to conduct new investigations and what to teach in engineering classes and what to write in history books, want to see the numbers.

In fact, in most cases the reason they get to make decisions about important things is that they are able to perform such calculations and/or evaluate the calculations of others.

And, it's important to note, the reason they want to see the numbers is because they want to maximize their chances to be right.

Waving away the calculations in favor of vague claims ("others' calculations must be wrong because they disagree with my guesses") and illegitimate analogies ("the towers didn't behave like a small stack of cinderblocks") is not a way to be right. It's good for only one thing: remaining unconvinced that you are wrong, when you are wrong.

An odd characteristic seen in many Truthers is acting as if being unconvinced that you are wrong is in some way difficult, inherently admirable, productive, and/or comparable to being right. It is none of those things.

Respectfully,
Myriad
Old 19th August 2010, 12:12 PM   #194
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

Yes.
Think about this, you'll find you just answered your original question.

Old 19th August 2010, 12:15 PM   #195
ergo
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Each piece of rubble is being pulled by gravity in the same direction.
No, it isn't.

Quote:
Slowing all of it down by a certain amount in a given amount of time (e.g. slowed enough in a short enough time to prevent it crashing through the next floor) requires the same force as it it were all attached together as one single object. Unless you can spread out the individual impacts over time -- but you cannot, because nothing is holding any of it up.
Your first premise is incorrect, so the bolded is incorrect for that and other obvious reasons.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:16 PM   #196
BigAl
Philosopher

One more time:

Quote:

Which of those big words are you having a problem with?
Dept of Redundancy Dept.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:17 PM   #197
ergo
Illuminator

Think about this, you'll find you just answered your original question.
No, finish what you started. Your conclusions don't follow. Explain it for us.
Old 19th August 2010, 12:17 PM   #198
DGM
Skeptic not Atheist

No, it isn't.

Don't go there!

There is no gravity.......the world sucks!

Old 19th August 2010, 12:19 PM   #199
ergo
Illuminator

Which of those big words are you having a problem with?
How does linear momentum of particles apply to rubble crushing a building?
Old 19th August 2010, 12:20 PM   #200
Myriad
Hyperthetical

No, it isn't.

Your first premise is incorrect, so the bolded is incorrect for that and other obvious reasons.

Gravity pulls some pieces of rubble in some direction other than down? Please give an example.

The bolded, like the rest, is completely correct.

This is a good example of what I said before. It's quite possible that I lack the ability to convince you that you're wrong. Meanwhile you lack the ability to be right. In Truther world maybe that makes us even. But the people who make real decisions in the real world don't see it that way.

Respectfully,
Myriad

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories