ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , democratic party , presidential candidates

Closed Thread
Old 24th January 2019, 06:52 AM   #481
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
You're forgetting about the Republican party's limitless ability to engage in hypocrisy. (Remember, the party that contemned Clinton for sexual misconduct now doesn't care about such things when Trump did them.) I'm sure if Biden became the candidate, any time he sneezes it would result in hours of coverage on Fox news suggesting that he's at death's door and that we need to stick with Trump because his doc said he was so healthy.

Sadly, given the underlying racism that seems to be evident in a large part of the electorate, "old white men" may be the best way to beat Trump.
If you remember on this very forum we had folks who knew before the rest of us that Clinton was on her last legs, her fatal illnesses were a reason not to vote for her. If only we'd listened to them we wouldn't have been so surprised by her continued lack of dying, that woman has no integrity!
Old 24th January 2019, 10:15 PM   #482
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Warrens' starting to roll out the proposals that the base will need to see from their candidate:

Quote:
Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., has proposed a “wealth tax” on some of the richest Americans.

The new tax from Warren, who recently announced her bid to challenge President Donald Trump in 2020, would only apply to Americans with more than $50 million in assets.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 06:10 PM   #483
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Beto's still on the fence and indicating it could be months before he makes a decision.

I missed that Kamala Harris announced somehow; or maybe she just announced that she's going to announce on Sunday? Oddball factoid: the Democrats have never nominated a Presidential or VP candidate from West of the Rockies.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 06:32 PM   #484
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Oddball factoid: the Democrats have never nominated a Presidential or VP candidate from West of the Rockies.
Alas Gary Hart.
Old 25th January 2019, 06:40 PM   #485
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Alas Gary Hart.
Not really west of the Rockies either. Western Colorado is kind of the middle of the Rockies, eastern Colorado is really West Nebraska.
Old 25th January 2019, 06:42 PM   #486
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Beto's still on the fence and indicating it could be months before he makes a decision.
That shouldn't be a bad thing. When I'm King of the World, there'll still be elections but anyone who expresses the slightest interest in running more than two months prior will be disqualified for life.
Old 25th January 2019, 06:43 PM   #487
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Alas Gary Hart.
Poor Gary Hart. Working the Kennedy playbook in a post-Nixon era.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 08:13 PM   #488
Tero
Graduate Poster

As long as you own the resort where you keep you mistresses it’s OK.

”The Herald published a story on May 3 that Hart had spent Friday night and most of Saturday with a young woman in his Washington, D.C. townhouse. (Snip) In October 2018, Raymond Strother claimed that Lee Atwater, the head of the Republican National Committee, confessed to him that he orchestrated a photo where Rice was shown to be sitting on Hart's lap, as part of an attempt to bring Hart down.”

But at least he was not Mike Dukakis with the alcoholic wife whot tried to drink rubbing alcohol. We had some real winners then.

Last edited by Tero; 25th January 2019 at 08:18 PM.
Tero is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th January 2019, 11:12 PM   #489
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The thing about Trump... he has certainly put all the cards on the table. What had been thinly veiled racism is now out in the open, and the Democratic party has to deal with emphasize it.
That's what I think they should do.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2019, 12:57 AM   #490
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That shouldn't be a bad thing. When I'm King of the World, there'll still be elections but anyone who expresses the slightest interest in running more than two months prior will be disqualified for life.
Every now and then I like to crack open my tattered copy of The Making of the President 1960 and remind myself that the book starts with JFK's announcement in late January of that year.

It's a tough situation. If we assume that Beto jumps into the top tier of candidates, then he has to spend the next year of his life trying to win the presidency, and yet he could end up destroyed after Iowa and New Hampshire like Howard Dean.

But if he doesn't run, he risks becoming the forgotten guy. What platform does he have as a former congressman six years down the road?

Last edited by Brainster; 26th January 2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old 26th January 2019, 11:58 AM   #491
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Richard Ojeda gets out in front of the crowd; he becomes the first declared candidate to drop out of the race. He's a state senator from West Virginia who has a rather odd distinction: he's (I assume) the only Democratic candidate for President who voted for Trump in 2016.
Old 26th January 2019, 04:14 PM   #492
Venom
Illuminator

I'm glad Ojeda's out.

He's always been more of a niche candidate anyway. He doesn't have much to say about climate or foreign policy and his voting for Donald Trump in 2016 as the "lesser of two evils" reflects his poor decision making at the margin, imo.

The last thing we need right now is multiple progressive factions within the Democratic Party.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2019, 08:10 PM   #493
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Not really west of the Rockies either. Western Colorado is kind of the middle of the Rockies, eastern Colorado is really West Nebraska.
When we came house shopping in Colorado Springs, the agent called the eastern side of the city West Kansas. Denver is also just at the edge of the Rockies, not in them.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th January 2019, 09:23 PM   #494
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Every now and then I like to crack open my tattered copy of The Making of the President 1960 and remind myself that the book starts with JFK's announcement in late January of that year.

It's a tough situation. If we assume that Beto jumps into the top tier of candidates, then he has to spend the next year of his life trying to win the presidency, and yet he could end up destroyed after Iowa and New Hampshire like Howard Dean.

But if he doesn't run, he risks becoming the forgotten guy. What platform does he have as a former congressman six years down the road?
You can sort of blame Jimmy Carter for this. He was roaming around Iowa and New Hampshire gathering support 8 months before the other candidates. He was close to unheard of outside of Georgia. But he shocked everyone by winning the Iowa Caucus (Actually came in second to uncommitted) and then won the New Hampshire primary.

After that, the pressure to win early led to a longer and longer election process.
Old 26th January 2019, 11:04 PM   #495
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You can sort of blame Jimmy Carter for this. He was roaming around Iowa and New Hampshire gathering support 8 months before the other candidates. He was close to unheard of outside of Georgia. But he shocked everyone by winning the Iowa Caucus (Actually came in second to uncommitted) and then won the New Hampshire primary.

After that, the pressure to win early led to a longer and longer election process.
Carter used his win in Iowa to build recognition in a way that nobody had before. Iowa was nowhere on the map, and indeed it is not the greatest barometer in open elections since. IIRC Dick Gephardt and Mike Huckabee have both won the Iowa caucuses.

ETA: IIRC there was also a cover of Time Magazine where it looked like they had tried to make Carter look like JFK.

Last edited by Brainster; 26th January 2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 27th January 2019, 05:01 AM   #496
angrysoba
Philosophile

Richard Ojeda gets out in front of the crowd; he becomes the first declared candidate to drop out of the race. He's a state senator from West Virginia who has a rather odd distinction: he's (I assume) the only Democratic candidate for President who voted for Trump in 2016.
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I'm glad Ojeda's out.

He's always been more of a niche candidate anyway. He doesn't have much to say about climate or foreign policy and his voting for Donald Trump in 2016 as the "lesser of two evils" reflects his poor decision making at the margin, imo.

The last thing we need right now is multiple progressive factions within the Democratic Party.
Voting for Trump probably makes him beyond the pale, but from what I can see, he clearly represents the type of people who feel disenfranchised from the Democratic Party, and these are people who feel that the Democratic Party should be their natural home. If the Democrats don't know how to connect with them then they could lose the next presidential election. And they probably will NOT win votes on climate and foreign policy.

It's the economy, stoopid!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th January 2019, 03:16 PM   #497
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Loved Kamala's mischievous smile when she mentioned Frederick Douglass.
Old 27th January 2019, 04:19 PM   #498
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I will join you on that in a New York Minute.

The Two Year long campaign media driven campaign cycle it hurting American Democracy. Oh, for the days when you only starting hearing about candidates big time in the November of the year before the election year,ie. a couple of months before the Iowa caucuses.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th January 2019, 04:22 PM   #499
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

People forest that two thirds of Colorado are on the Great Plains.
BTW I just rewatched the mini series Centennial, from the James Michenir novel about the history of a small town in Colarado. IMHO one of the best of the American miniseries from the 70's and 80;s.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th January 2019, 04:32 PM   #500
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Voting for Trump probably makes him beyond the pale, but from what I can see, he clearly represents the type of people who feel disenfranchised from the Democratic Party, and these are people who feel that the Democratic Party should be their natural home. If the Democrats don't know how to connect with them then they could lose the next presidential election. And they probably will NOT win votes on climate and foreign policy.

It's the economy, stoopid!
Sure. I respect his fighting spirit. There are other, more well-known and versatile progressives out there who I think can flip the Democratic Party and beat the Republicans.

Ojeda felt that the odds were too against him, and reasonably so; he didn't have a strong start.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 04:04 PM   #501
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Bernie Bro's going hard after Kamala claiming she "kept slaves" and put black men in prison for giggles.

Travis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 05:08 PM   #502
Venom
Illuminator

CNN already crowning Kamala Harris as the Dem frontrunner a year in advance.

I can't say she won't beat Trump; there's a big enough backlash against him and Harris checks all of the boxes old white men in the establishment don't. Not a high bar at this point.
Old 28th January 2019, 05:13 PM   #503
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
BTW I just rewatched the mini series Centennial, from the James Michenir novel about the history of a small town in Colarado. IMHO one of the best of the American miniseries from the 70's and 80;s.

The "Front Range" is more like one third of the way west (maybe more like 40% as I measure with my fingers) of the Kansas border to the Utah border. However, not all of the rest of Colorado is mountainous. A pretty big area in the NW is actually a high desert.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 28th January 2019 at 05:14 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 07:06 PM   #504
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Bernie Bro's.
Stop
Old 28th January 2019, 07:14 PM   #505
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Bernie Bro's going hard after Kamala claiming she "kept slaves" and put black men in prison for giggles.
Citation please.

I could swear, there once was a time when an expectation existed that claims such as this should be followed by, get this, a quote and a link. What a concept!

Lacking a quote and a link, and being aware of the BS you routinely foist, I don't buy your unsupported claims for a nanosecond.
Old 28th January 2019, 07:17 PM   #506
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
CNN already crowning Kamala Harris as the Dem frontrunner a year in advance.

I can't say she won't beat Trump; there's a big enough backlash against him and Harris checks all of the boxes old white men in the establishment don't. Not a high bar at this point.
I doubt she'll be able to generate more enthusiasm than Clinton did.
"We are enjoined, no matter how uncomfortable it might be, to consider ourselves and our cultural institutions scientifically — not to accept uncritically whatever we’re told; to surmount as best we can our hopes, conceits, and unexamined beliefs; to view ourselves as we really are." - Carl Sagan
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 07:27 PM   #507
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I'm with you on that. It started the whole miniseries fad of the 70's and 80's.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 07:30 PM   #508
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
She doesn't have Clinton's baggage.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 07:31 PM   #509
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Yeah, Hillary had the advantage of being perceived to check all those boxes that the "old white men" didn't, plus with her mastery of the Time Warp dance (It's just a jump to the left... Then a step to the right) she managed to additionally check all the "old white men" boxes, too.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 08:11 PM   #510
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Yeah, Hillary had the advantage of being perceived to check all those boxes that the "old white men" didn't, plus with her mastery of the Time Warp dance (It's just a jump to the left... Then a step to the right) she managed to additionally check all the "old white men" boxes, too.
I feel like being old and white kind of handicapped her in the "not an old white man" event. That and her political career being irrevocably tied to a literal old white man.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th January 2019, 10:31 PM   #511
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The field is so large that the best strategy might be for two candidates to find each other early and run as a team, with the first slot on the ticket to be determined by the primaries.
Clinton's VP didn't help her at all, IMO, even though it was a very calculated choice.
Old 29th January 2019, 07:28 AM   #512
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Citation please.

I could swear, there once was a time when an expectation existed that claims such as this should be followed by, get this, a quote and a link. What a concept!

Lacking a quote and a link, and being aware of the BS you routinely foist, I don't buy your unsupported claims for a nanosecond.
But ORANGE MAN BAD! Don't you agree that THE ORANGE MAN IS BAD!? Why are you defending the BAD ORANGE MAN!
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 07:30 AM   #513
Belz...
Fiend God

....what?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 07:35 AM   #514
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
....what?
It's called "I made up an opinion that sounds like something someone on the other side would say, so I'm just gonna say they said it without actually waiting for someone to actually say it."

Travis does that a lot.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 10:10 AM   #515
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I feel like being old and white kind of handicapped her in the "not an old white man" event. That and her political career being irrevocably tied to a literal old white man.
Yeah, Hillary was more of an "old white man" than Joe Biden in some ways.

Kamala Harris doesn't seem to have that same issue. But give the GOP a year to work on her and we'll see what her issues will be.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 10:11 AM   #516
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The Dems would rather have a... whatever the opposite of a "Great White Hope" is lose to Trump then have an old white male Democrat beat him.
Old 29th January 2019, 10:23 AM   #517
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
The Dems would rather have a... whatever the opposite of a "Great White Hope" is lose to Trump then have an old white male Democrat beat him.
White? Yuck!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 10:26 AM   #518
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I don't think the Dems have some sort of ingrained anti-white racism or anything of that level or nature, I just think the narrative of a person from one of the groups Trump is working the hardest to disenfranchise being the one to beat him are too perfect for them to pass up.
Old 29th January 2019, 10:51 AM   #519
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It's not that, it is just that we tied an old white man and she lost.

But if the somewhat young black guy could have run again, Trump would have lost in a landslide. Is that not obvious?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th January 2019, 11:41 AM   #520
Venom
Illuminator

This is the kind of attitude we need from the Democrat candidates.

Ocasio-Cortez: If Trump was gone tomorrow, it wouldn't change 'systemic injustices'

CNN, MSNBC and other ostensibly left-leaning media like to make it about the Orange Man, how members of the left take shots at him, how much better they speak, read, write than him. And the Mueller investigation that they just can't wait patiently for...

We get it, but we can do that all day. What about the middle class, what about healthcare, the corrupting corporate influence in politics, etc?
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics