ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 10th September 2017, 04:32 PM   #1
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Will you ever forgive Trump voters?

I don't mean if you can work with a Trump voter. Or be civil with them. I believe with time I could work with a Trump voter and be civil with them too.

But I have real doubts I will ever be able to forgive them. Deep down I'm just sort of thinking there will always be a sort of seething anger. I'm not sure if it is a sense of betrayal or what. I know it isn't healthy. I'll admit that. But I'm also a realist that knows that not everything that goes on in my head is healthy.

But what about you? Does it matter at all to you that someone voted in favor of so many unconscionable views and actions? Can you just look right past their choice?

Personally I feel that whatever my feelings I have to try and work with them. I'm not sure how but the other options sure don't look good for the whole nation in the long term.
Old 10th September 2017, 04:37 PM   #2
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Lol
Old 10th September 2017, 04:42 PM   #3
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

No, because America is what it is, the strongest of the nuclear powers. We don't have the right to have temper tantrums. The American electorate is the steward of civilization's future. A portion of the electorate forgot this and that us unforgivable.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 04:50 PM   #4
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I don't mean if you can work with a Trump voter. Or be civil with them. I believe with time I could work with a Trump voter and be civil with them too.

[...]
NVM

Last edited by John Jones; 10th September 2017 at 05:13 PM.
John Jones is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 04:56 PM   #5
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

But I have real doubts I will ever be able to forgive them. Deep down I'm just sort of thinking there will always be a sort of seething anger. I'm not sure if it is a sense of betrayal or what. I know it isn't healthy. I'll admit that. But I'm also a realist that knows that not everything that goes on in my head is healthy.

But what about you? Does it matter at all to you that someone voted in favor of so many unconscionable views and actions? Can you just look right past their choice?

Personally I feel that whatever my feelings I have to try and work with them. I'm not sure how but the other options sure don't look good for the whole nation in the long term.
absolutely, nothing to for give. Most were faced with voting for Trump or unelectable pathological liar Hillary. I can"t blame anyone for voting for Trump under those circumstances.
Old 10th September 2017, 04:57 PM   #6
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Hate me. I voted for him and if he runs again I'll vote for him again.
Old 10th September 2017, 04:59 PM   #7
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

I believe the correct answer is HELL NO.

All this chaos is their fault, and they were warned. It was all expected. The stupidity, the racism, the rise of neo-nazi morons, the ignorance and the stupidity.

Did I say stupidity twice? Hmm...
Old 10th September 2017, 05:01 PM   #8
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
absolutely, nothing to for give. Most were faced with voting for Trump or unelectable pathological liar Hillary. I can"t blame anyone for voting for Trump under those circumstances.
We've talked about this buddy.

Of all the things to say, saying Trump is better than the pathological liar Hillary? Really? He's lied more TODAY than Hillary did the entire campaign.

You know it. Just *********** own it. Your liar is better than their liar. Say it.
Old 10th September 2017, 05:42 PM   #9
Mumbles
Illuminator

Depends on why they voted for him, and what they're doing about it.

That guy who lost his son to opioids, and was singing pro-Trump songs because he sincerely believed that Cheeto Benito would push treatment and so forth? Sure, I can forgive him. The folks who really thoiught he'd bring back coal jobs, but are coming around and acknowledging they got conned, and will vote against him in the future? Okay.

The folks who voted for him, but are now marching against the destructive policies he's pushing? Absolutely, they deserve it, they're putting in the work.

The white supremacists, Nazis, etc. that are his base? The folks who call Black Lives Matter "terrorists", and act like the nazi riots were a matter of "many sides"? They've got to put in work to make up for the destruction they've caused, and they haven't even started. I'll continue to treat them as the dangerous people that they are.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 05:53 PM   #10
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Hate you? No, I pity you, because you're stupid and/or gullible. If you actually voted for trump, of course.
Old 10th September 2017, 05:56 PM   #11
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

But I have real doubts I will ever be able to forgive them. [...].
Do any of them want your forgiveness?

I didn't vote for Trump, but if I had, I wouldn't be looking for your absolution. I may be looking for your hysterical and worthless advice in another few years.

Last edited by John Jones; 10th September 2017 at 06:01 PM.
John Jones is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 06:05 PM   #12
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by John Jones View Post
Do any of them want your forgiveness?

I didn't vote for Trump, but if I had, I wouldn't be looking for your absolution.
I didn't vote for him either, but I'm hoping that Travis will consider me to have constructively voted for Trump. I do think that the country's prospects are far brighter under Trump than they were under Obama or than they would have been under Hillary. Trump says all the wrong things, but his actions have mostly been excellent. Even his idea to get rid of the debt ceiling would increase prosperity significantly. What other President could get something like that done? It's like Nixon going to China.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 06:05 PM   #13
CaptainHowdy
Muse

If you need to assign blame, look to the Democrats. Hillary Clinton was a terrible choice. If Bernie Sanders had been running against Trump the election might've turned out differently.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 06:10 PM   #14
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
No, because America is what it is, the strongest of the nuclear powers. We don't have the right to have temper tantrums. The American electorate is the steward of civilization's future. A portion of the electorate forgot this and that us unforgivable.
1. Seriously?

2. Electing Trump was just a bit of a giggle.
Old 10th September 2017, 06:15 PM   #15
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Unelectable? She was elected to senator.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 06:23 PM   #16
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
If you need to assign blame, look to the Democrats. Hillary Clinton was a terrible choice. If Bernie Sanders had been running against Trump the election might've turned out differently.
My party uses uncommitted delegates only to determine a candidate. How much onus should be on generic party voters to base their decision on strategy?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 06:42 PM   #17
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
We've talked about this buddy.

Of all the things to say, saying Trump is better than the pathological liar Hillary? Really? He's lied more TODAY than Hillary did the entire campaign.

You know it. Just *********** own it. Your liar is better than their liar. Say it.
Hillary was and always was in for the long con, which is why smart people understand why people voted for Trump.
Old 10th September 2017, 06:45 PM   #18
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Hillary was and always was in for the long con, which is why smart people understand why people voted for Trump.
And trump is in it for what now?

Come on. Tell me.
'Murica, right?
Old 10th September 2017, 06:49 PM   #19
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

And trump is in it for what now?

Come on. Tell me.
'Murica, right?
I am not sure you are on topic, the hysterical topic is whether we can forgive trump voters when in fact the real question should be whether we should understand why people voted for trump when faced with an absolute *********** garbage candidate on the other side. I get it
Old 10th September 2017, 06:57 PM   #20
Joe Random
Graduate Poster

Hair shirts and scourges at 50 yards. Ready. Turn. Shoot.

FFS.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 07:04 PM   #21
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

If you have to worry about "forgiving", or even tolerating, you're way too far down the rabbit hole of politicians making your worldview be synonymous with their power hunger goals.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 07:12 PM   #22
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
If you have to worry about "forgiving", or even tolerating, you're way too far down the rabbit hole of politicians making your worldview be synonymous with their power hunger goals.
Nah, this one's a bit different. Between his wild diminishing of US power internationally, and his attacks on nonwhite/muslim/LGBT people inside the US, there are severe problems with this White House.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 07:16 PM   #23
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Noztradamus View Post
1. Seriously?

2. Electing Trump was just a bit of a giggle.
You are the steward of civilization's future when you can elect the person with the power to destroy that future. The American presidency is nothing more or less than that. The be ability to destroy a thing is the ability to control a thing.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 07:22 PM   #24
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

For all her faults, Clinton was a survivable event. We would get out of a Clinton presidency with our key alliances intact. With Trump, his VP and secretaries have to work around him to keep the key allegiances in place. You and people like you made us less safe by putting in jeopardy the arrangements that keep us out of war. World War III will be your fault though I doubt many of you will have the courage to admit it.

Do you not understand that by merely opening the possibility that we would not honor immediately Article 5 of the NATO Charter that we are no less safe? I don't expect you do.
Old 10th September 2017, 07:42 PM   #25
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
This isn't a difference of political views. This administration is flat out dangerous to a great many people. The majority of the world, truth be told.

The President is a uniquely spiteful and selfish person. He is allowing the worst of the worst to enact horrific policies, because he doesn't care enough about the greater good to do anything about it. How else to explain the fact that most federal agencies are now headed by people with no experience in them, and in one case, headed by a person who himself campaigned on eliminating the agency he now heads.

Trump doesn't care about anything, and it was plain as day. And yes, that is worse than Hillary's "lying".

Last edited by NoahFence; 10th September 2017 at 07:43 PM.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 07:46 PM   #26
Ray Brady
Graduate Poster

Forgiveness is irrelevant. However, there's no way I could ever respect anyone who voted for that vile, despicable buffoon. I would never be able to trust the judgment of anyone gullible enough to support the most transparent con man of the twenty-first century.
Ray Brady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2017, 10:35 PM   #27
Apathia
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ray Brady View Post
Forgiveness is irrelevant. However, there's no way I could ever respect anyone who voted for that vile, despicable buffoon. I would never be able to trust the judgment of anyone gullible enough to support the most transparent con man of the twenty-first century.
That's where I am with the one and a half Trump voters I know personally. I can forgive them, but of course I don't trust their judgement at all. Nor are they people I feel I can open my heart to.

I said "one and a half." The half wrote in Condoleezza Rice, because he utterly despises Hillary Clinton and couldn't vote for the "buffoon." However he's with Trump on everything Trump has done or threatened to do, including the wall and a Nuclear first strike on North Korea. The only Trump thing he hasn't bought is the continuation of U.S. involvement in Afghanistan. But I cut him slack because I lowered my expectations of our friendship. Trust his judgement and integrity? No.

The full Trump voter I know personally has already unfriended me on Facebook. We never got into an altercation about who we voted for or our politics. I always respected her making her own choice. However, I'm the one who is outside her preferred company, so I give her the friendly distance she requires.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 12:35 AM   #28
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I don't mean if you can work with a Trump voter. Or be civil with them. I believe with time and a great deal of therapy I could work with a Trump voter for seconds at a time and pretend to be civil with them too until they turned their back.
FTFY
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 02:35 AM   #29
Argumemnon
World Maker

Forgive?

How about we deal with our problems and stop trying to find people to blame for them?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 02:36 AM   #30
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
May I ask why? He's obviously terrible at running things.

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
I do think that the country's prospects are far brighter under Trump than they were under Obama or than they would have been under Hillary. Trump says all the wrong things, but his actions have mostly been excellent.
Are you for real?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 02:47 AM   #31
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Are you for real?
Trump's actions have been "mostly been excellent" for a subset of the electorate. If you are so virulently anti-Obama, because you are so fundamentally anti-Democratic Party and/or so racist that you want Obama effectively expunged from the record then Trump has mostly been excellent. Trump is trying to reverse all of Obama's achievements regardless of whether that reversal is good or bad for the country.

If you think that government regulation is a drain on the economy and a scourge on civilisation then Trump's actions since taking office have most been excellent.

For sure Trump has had a couple of high profile reversal of fortunes around Obamacare repeal and the Muslim Ban but one if not both of those will probably come about one way or another eventually.

Indeed, for some people just getting Gorsuch on the SCOTUS is reason enough for Trump's entire Presidency to be considered to have mostly been excellent - heck just how miserable he makes the "ruling elites" means that for some people his Presidency has mostly been excellent.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 03:02 AM   #32
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

So you went for incompetent pathological liar and narcissist Trump.

Old 11th September 2017, 03:06 AM   #33
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

But what about you?
I don't think I could ever forgive white supremacists, or ignore that they are white supremacists. I see no reason to.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 04:09 AM   #34
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
I don't think I could ever forgive white supremacists, or ignore that they are white supremacists. I see no reason to.
[pollyanna's cat] But you'll never win them over that way. You need to find a common middle ground with them. Ask yourself, isn't there something you have in common with VHNG (vehicular homicide nazi guy)? I'll bet you both like ice cream, right? See? Everybody likes ice cream! Now you just have to build on that. Calling them names does no good.[/pollyanna's cat]

@Travis, I can forgive the ones who were conned by his populist bs. Once. See my "screen name". If those same folks fall for it again when he gets out there an rallies the true believers for a re-election? No. Then they're idiots and the sooner they die off, the better.

The true reprehensibles? No forgiveness. I never considered them worthy of my trust, respect or faith in the first place. And I don't forgive them for being bigots and racists in the first place, so I'm certainly not going to forgive them for voting their skin color and misanthropy.

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 04:21 AM   #35
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Trump's actions have been "mostly been excellent" for a subset of the electorate. If you are so virulently anti-Obama, because you are so fundamentally anti-Democratic Party and/or so racist that you want Obama effectively expunged from the record then Trump has mostly been excellent.
Damnatio memoriae, then?

If you're right, then that's a pretty insane way to make your political and social decisions. The idea is to champion the things you want in your life, not play partisan for its own sake.

Old 11th September 2017, 04:37 AM   #36
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I believe the correct answer is HELL NO.

All this chaos is their fault, and they were warned. It was all expected. The stupidity, the racism, the rise of neo-nazi morons, the ignorance and the stupidity.

Did I say stupidity twice? Hmm...
But they wanted chaos they wanted to burn it all. That is why they like what they see, this is the results they wanted.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 04:39 AM   #37
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
Why he was a terrible candidate too. And easier to stir up the white nationalist base against a jewish socialist.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 04:43 AM   #38
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Trump's actions have been "mostly been excellent" for a subset of the electorate. If you are so virulently anti-Obama, because you are so fundamentally anti-Democratic Party and/or so racist that you want Obama effectively expunged from the record then Trump has mostly been excellent. Trump is trying to reverse all of Obama's achievements regardless of whether that reversal is good or bad for the country.

If you think that government regulation is a drain on the economy and a scourge on civilisation then Trump's actions since taking office have most been excellent.

For sure Trump has had a couple of high profile reversal of fortunes around Obamacare repeal and the Muslim Ban but one if not both of those will probably come about one way or another eventually.

Indeed, for some people just getting Gorsuch on the SCOTUS is reason enough for Trump's entire Presidency to be considered to have mostly been excellent - heck just how miserable he makes the "ruling elites" means that for some people his Presidency has mostly been excellent.
Exactly we finally have a real christian on the supreme court, and not just a christian but a christian dominionist.
Old 11th September 2017, 04:44 AM   #39
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Damnatio memoriae, then?

If you're right, then that's a pretty insane way to make your political and social decisions. The idea is to champion the things you want in your life, not play partisan for its own sake.
Rabid partisanship has been the GOP MO for a while now so it's hardly shocking if a large chunk of the US electorate use it as a criterion for judging Presidential success.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2017, 05:01 AM   #40
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

May I ask why? He's obviously terrible at running things.

Are you for real?
Only white nationalists or trolls would say that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics