ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2017 elections , Alabama elections , Alabama politics , roy moore

Old 12th November 2017, 01:43 PM   #241
Madalch
The Jester

I'd guess that the people who are *more* likely believe that the accusations are just demon-crats tyring to slander him, and if he scares the demon-crats into doing things like that, he must be worth standing up for.
Old 12th November 2017, 01:46 PM   #242
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
One can only hope that the vast majority of those that stated that it would increase their likelihood of voting for him did so because they are of the group that vehemently believes that it's all a lie and fake news created by the Democrats to smear him, because if they actually believed the allegations and thought that was a reason to vote for the gut, that'd be depressing.

Either way, I suspect that the 29% overall that said it would make them more likely to vote for him, probably supported him before the allegations, so overall it will have him him to so degree.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 12th November 2017 at 01:48 PM.
PhantomWolf is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 03:52 PM   #243
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

One interviewee said even if it was true, he's long since been forgiven by the Lord for his sins, so he's good to go.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 05:08 PM   #244
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Madalch View Post
I'd guess that the people who are *more* likely believe that the accusations are just demon-crats tyring to slander him, and if he scares the demon-crats into doing things like that, he must be worth standing up for.
More contradictions will continue to come out.

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017...conduct-story/
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 05:52 PM   #245
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Nothing says "unbiased" like a nice and retarded britebart article
Old 12th November 2017, 05:59 PM   #246
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
One interviewee said even if it was true, he's long since been forgiven by the Lord for his sins, so he's good to go.
If so, **** the lord up the *******!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 06:00 PM   #247
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Nothing says "unbiased" like a nice and retarded britebart article
Lol

Your post screams emotion not fact.

You obviously couldnít care less about the facts unless it comes from your sources. Thanks for proving my point!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 06:05 PM   #248
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Britebart is certainly not remotely bright and it does stink like a huge and horrendous fart.

So, there's that!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 06:51 PM   #249
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

If Johnny Cochrane owned a news provider, would you quote it for insight on whether OJ was guilty?
Old 12th November 2017, 06:55 PM   #250
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
If Johnny Cochrane owned a news provider, would you quote it for insight on whether OJ was guilty?
If Johnny Cochran interviewed one of the people involved, I would gain insight reading it. Unless one wasn’t interested in facts.
Old 12th November 2017, 07:06 PM   #251
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Would you quote Bill Clinton on whether Hillary was guilty of criminal behavior?

Would you find it believable from someone else quoting Bill Clinton?
Old 12th November 2017, 07:12 PM   #252
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I actually could buy into the idea that things which happened 38 years ago, even very bad things, might not necessarily disqualify you from holding office. For example, a few pols tried to make hay out of GWB's drunk driving conviction. I thought that was pretty stupid. Old news. Not worth caring about.

What makes this different, in my mind, is that his whole candidacy is based on his being a righteous dude who is going to root out the perverts among us, but it turns out that he is, or maybe just was, an unrepentant pervert. It's the hypocrisy that is truly damning in my mind.

To be honest, it's very difficult for me to judge this particular case on anything other than the lying and hypocrisy part. So, he is alleged to have done some really bad stuff with a 14 year old. On the other hand, that was a very long time ago and, more importantly, just an allegation. There is so much mudslinging these days that I don't want to give credence to it without solid proof.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 12th November 2017 at 07:15 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 07:31 PM   #253
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

GWB faced his habits with alcohol, did something about them, and is rather upfront about it. That's why it should and does get forgiven politically. He owned up to his "sins".

Moore doesn't. He adds insult to the injury by denying and lying about his past (?) Poorness of judgement (to put it softly).
Old 12th November 2017, 07:50 PM   #254
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I actually could buy into the idea that things which happened 38 years ago, even very bad things, might not necessarily disqualify you from holding office. For example, a few pols tried to make hay out of GWB's drunk driving conviction. I thought that was pretty stupid. Old news. Not worth caring about.

What makes this different, in my mind, is that his whole candidacy is based on his being a righteous dude who is going to root out the perverts among us, but it turns out that he is, or maybe just was, an unrepentant pervert. It's the hypocrisy that is truly damning in my mind.

To be honest, it's very difficult for me to judge this particular case on anything other than the lying and hypocrisy part. So, he is alleged to have done some really bad stuff with a 14 year old. On the other hand, that was a very long time ago and, more importantly, just an allegation. There is so much mudslinging these days that I don't want to give credence to it without solid proof.
Its fascinating to me how non believers think Christians are supposed to be perfect. Did any of you ever think that people with a past, some with very bad pasts have had their lives renewed through faith in Christ, Moore is no different. That is why normal God loving people understand him.
Old 12th November 2017, 07:54 PM   #255
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
Would you quote Bill Clinton on whether Hillary was guilty of criminal behavior?

Would you find it believable from someone else quoting Bill Clinton?
I would quote Bill Clinton on what he said about Hillary. This is really not that difficult to understand, that is, if youíre not desperate to avoid facts.
Old 12th November 2017, 07:55 PM   #256
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
GWB faced his habits with alcohol, did something about them, and is rather upfront about it. That's why it should and does get forgiven politically. He owned up to his "sins".

Moore doesn't. He adds insult to the injury by denying and lying about his past (?) Poorness of judgement (to put it softly).
Lol ridiculous. He should just accept the fact heís guilty even though he isnít.

Once again, the facts be damned, on a skeptics forum!

Last edited by logger; 12th November 2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12th November 2017, 07:57 PM   #257
phiwum
Philosopher

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Its fascinating to me how non believers think Christians are supposed to be perfect. Did any of you ever think that people with a past, some with very bad pasts have had their lives renewed through faith in Christ, Moore is no different. That is why normal God loving people understand him.
That would involve repentance, surely, and not denial.

You can't believe that he did bad things previously, has been forgiven by God and hence his denial of doing bad things is just peachy.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 08:01 PM   #258
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

That's adorable.

Not one single non believer thinks Christians are supposed to be perfect. Not one. As usual you've stated the exact opposite of reality. Christians think everyone needs to be perfect but don't bother asking the same of themselves.
Old 12th November 2017, 08:08 PM   #259
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Lol ridiculous. He should just accept the fact heís guilty even though he isnít.

Can you please spell out the facts that you are thinking about here?
Old 12th November 2017, 08:08 PM   #260
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
That would involve repentance, surely, and not denial.

You can't believe that he did bad things previously, has been forgiven by God and hence his denial of doing bad things is just peachy.
Lol
Of course Iím not talked no about these allegations, Iíve made quite clear I donít believe them. So repentance isnít necessary for something that wasnít done.
Old 12th November 2017, 08:11 PM   #261
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
That's adorable.

Not one single non believer thinks Christians are supposed to be perfect. Not one. As usual you've stated the exact opposite of reality. Christians think everyone needs to be perfect but don't bother asking the same of themselves.
if you think that then you are completely ignorant of the religion.
Old 12th November 2017, 08:12 PM   #262
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Far be it from me to say anything nice about Alabama Fundies, but this is a disconnect so strong that I think there's something more to it than the answer implies.

"Given the allegations" is loaded if you're a right winger or Roy Moore follower. A certain type of bible-thumping right winger is probably more likely to believe these are made-up charges by the Godless Left trying to take down a man who's done everything in his power to give Our Lord a seat at the table, on the jury, in the DA's office and in the jury box.

I think many of those rockhard fundies and diehard conservatives believe the "Fake News" mantra to the extent that they may have answered "more likely" because they are sure their darling Roy is being persecuted. NOT necessarily because they favor molesting post-pubescent teens.

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 08:16 PM   #263
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Far be it from me to say anything nice about Alabama Fundies, but this is a disconnect so strong that I think there's something more to it than the answer implies.

"Given the allegations" is loaded if you're a right winger or Roy Moore follower. A certain type of bible-thumping right winger is probably more likely to believe these are made-up charges by the Godless Left trying to take down a man who's done everything in his power to give Our Lord a seat at the table, on the jury, in the DA's office and in the jury box.

I think many of those rockhard fundies and diehard conservatives believe the "Fake News" mantra to the extent that they may have answered "more likely" because they are sure their darling Roy is being persecuted. NOT necessarily because they favor molesting post-pubescent teens.
Lol
Or it simply might be they think these allegations are lies, oh my!
Old 12th November 2017, 08:21 PM   #264
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post

That doesn't explain the ones who cheerfully admit that they would rather see a Republican child molester in office than any Democrat.
Old 12th November 2017, 08:23 PM   #265
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Old 12th November 2017, 08:25 PM   #266
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

It was along time ago until Moore added a new offense calling his victim a liar instead of apologizing. So much for the Ten Commandments, Thou shalt not bear false witness.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 08:30 PM   #267
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

30 or 40 witnesses, a well researched story and all you have is Moore's denial yet you assert definitively Moore is not guilty?

Who's ridiculous here?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:01 PM   #268
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
30 or 40 witnesses, a well researched story and all you have is Moore's denial yet you assert definitively Moore is not guilty?

Who's ridiculous here?
30 or 40? Lol which is it?

I didnít say he is not guilty, I said I didnít believe he was. Some of the few things that have been revealed call into question the story these women are telling.
Old 12th November 2017, 09:02 PM   #269
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It was along time ago until Moore added a new offense calling his victim a liar instead of apologizing. So much for the Ten Commandments, Thou shalt not bear false witness.
Lol

You seriously donít understand that a person usually doesnít apologise for something they didnít do?
Old 12th November 2017, 09:03 PM   #270
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Iíd rather see you figure it out for yourself, itíll be more fun that way.
Old 12th November 2017, 09:06 PM   #271
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Iíd rather see you figure it out for yourself, itíll be more fun that way.
Logger has nothing.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:07 PM   #272
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

if you think that then you are completely ignorant of the religion.
Believe me, my christian bonefides are just fine.

I even manage to remain more moral than they are despite my no longer believing. Strange, that.
Old 12th November 2017, 09:08 PM   #273
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Lol
Or it simply might be they think these allegations are lies, oh my!
That's the same thing I said, oh my! (Kneejerk reaction: Uh oh, it's Foolmewunz. Better disagree with him. LOL Paleos!)

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:14 PM   #274
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

So, do they let him spend alone time with their daughters (or sons).

Wash this space!

Old 12th November 2017, 09:15 PM   #275
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Lol
Of course Iím not talked no about these allegations, Iíve made quite clear I donít believe them. So repentance isnít necessary for something that wasnít done.
Fooled again I see!!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 12th November 2017, 09:15 PM   #276
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
One can only hope that the vast majority of those that stated that it would increase their likelihood of voting for him did so because they are of the group that vehemently believes that it's all a lie and fake news created by the Democrats to smear him, because if they actually believed the allegations and thought that was a reason to vote for the gut, that'd be depressing.

Either way, I suspect that the 29% overall that said it would make them more likely to vote for him, probably supported him before the allegations, so overall it will have him him to so degree.
Well there's this trend:

Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:16 PM   #277
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Logger has nothing.
Less actually!

Wash this space!

Old 12th November 2017, 09:16 PM   #278
Cleon
King of the Pod People

It's cute how logger can't make up his mind between "the allegations are lies" and "he's been forgiven by God."
Old 12th November 2017, 09:16 PM   #279
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, Moore is quite different.

He isn't disavowing his past, when he pursued girls which would be described by the phrase "barely legal". He is saying he is not sure it ever happened, that he can't remember whether he ever did such a thing, but he is certain that he had their parents' permission.

He is lying, today, long after his renewal through Jesus Christ.....unless, just maybe, he hasn't really renewed his life through Jesus Christ. Maybe he just got old and stopped chasing skirts, especially those he met in Civics class.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:16 PM   #280
logger
Philosopher

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
So, do they let him spend alone time with their daughters (or sons).
Well since he has five sons and one daughter Iím sure they do.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics