ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 6th November 2017, 10:51 AM   #321
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

I wonder if they mistook Tiger sharks for Six Gill sharks, perhaps?
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 11:07 AM   #322
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Appel said she was only making pan-pan calls because thay were not in immediate danger. Did she read this same article?
She wouldn't need to because its standard practice.

If Appell is a Certified Skipper or Certified Yachtmaster, she will have completed the relevant course. Emergency procedures are part of the curriculum for any Maritime Master Course.

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th November 2017 at 11:11 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 11:17 AM   #323
smartcooky
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Note 4 people on the boat. Two must be US sailors. Whoever is up the mast may be attaching a radar reflector, to prevent the boat becoming a hazard to navigation. And possibly a transponder for relocating it for salvage? Which may be up to her insurance company? (eta, that is a sailor up the mast, The two women are on deck, one fore, other aft)

And, no they don't use unsinkable boats for target practice. Know why?

And I bet transponders are cheaper than bullets. A couple hundred 50 cal at $5 each? And an insurance company would like to inspect, to prevent insurance fraud... Probably re-reimburse the Navy for the transponder too.

Lots of conjecture there, like the rest of this thread. But, make sense?

That looks like a mast for a self-steering vane at the stern

ETA: The yacht looks like something Charley Morgan would have designed.

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th November 2017 at 11:33 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 12:30 PM   #324
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Note 4 people on the boat. Two must be US sailors. Whoever is up the mast may be attaching a radar reflector, to prevent the boat becoming a hazard to navigation. And possibly a transponder for relocating it for salvage? Which may be up to her insurance company? (eta, that is a sailor up the mast, The two women are on deck, one fore, other aft)
No, I've seen enlargements of that photo on the Sailing Anarchy thread and it's clearly Ms Appel there in the mast.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 12:38 PM   #325
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
That looks like a mast for a self-steering vane at the stern

ETA: The yacht looks like something Charley Morgan would have designed.
Autopilots via GPS are the current tech, but self steering systems are the minimum for cruisers. Take a gps off your hand held, adj the sefl steerer, go below and work out to stay in shape. But none will work if you are too ignorant to rig a reefed main with jib.

Morgan 45 forward helm 1979, Florida boatbuilder. Jenks & Somebody?
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 03:40 PM   #326
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
I wonder if they mistook Tiger sharks for Six Gill sharks, perhaps?
Did the sharks come onto the boat to poop?
Old 6th November 2017, 04:44 PM   #327
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Did the sharks come onto the boat to poop?
No, I bet they came to eat the dog.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2017, 06:50 PM   #328
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Sweeping dog poo overboard is like chumming. A five month chum line for them sharks to follow.
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2017, 12:46 AM   #329
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
What happens when things go north?
The sun sets to port and rises to starboard.
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
Forum Birdwatching Webpage

Last edited by EHocking; 7th November 2017 at 12:47 AM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 09:13 AM   #330
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

This morning Appel and Fuiaba were on the Today Show. More weirdness.

They say that the Navy sought the media, not them. Fuiaba slept through the damaging whopper storm while Appel controlled everything alone. They had a radio conversation with Coast Guard at Christmas Island and even had a visual of the CG ship but didn't ask for help and didn't attempt to make land there. Oh and about that occasion where the Coast Guard says they spoke to a "Sea Nymph" at Tahiti - Appel says it wasn't them and points out that her GPS device recorded her position as over 500 miles away from Tahiti at that time. She brought the device on the Today Show.

So there is a thing she has which recorded and shows their location throughout the trip?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-not-them.html
Old 8th November 2017, 12:51 PM   #331
bytewizard
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
This morning Appel and Fuiaba were on the Today Show. More weirdness.

They say that the Navy sought the media, not them. Fuiaba slept through the damaging whopper storm while Appel controlled everything alone. They had a radio conversation with Coast Guard at Christmas Island and even had a visual of the CG ship but didn't ask for help and didn't attempt to make land there. Oh and about that occasion where the Coast Guard says they spoke to a "Sea Nymph" at Tahiti - Appel says it wasn't them and points out that her GPS device recorded her position as over 500 miles away from Tahiti at that time. She brought the device on the Today Show.

So there is a thing she has which recorded and shows their location throughout the trip?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-not-them.html
1. Yes, that's why they appeared on The Today Show.
2. Surely they had their GPS on only for that brief period of time.
3. Holy crap, Appel is only 49 years of age?
4. Liars to the core.
bytewizard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 01:01 PM   #332
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
4. Liars to the core.
See the webpage of hers that was posted upthread -
Quote:
Portrayable Age
20+
Actually I will post the link by quoting JoeBentley's review of it...

Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Originally Posted by ddt View Post
and registered with the Hawaii Film Actors (check out the pics at your own peril).
Jesus feathered haired Christ that website looks like an emo 12 year old girl's MySpace page from 1999 made a baby with the Timecube website and that baby threw up on a Geocities page.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 01:36 PM   #333
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Another thing the ladies said a while ago was that the Taiwanese fishing boat (deliberately) backed into their boat and severely damaged it (with the implied goal of sinking it). But photos of the boat don't seem to show any damage to the structure or hull. The Navy photos show it sitting high in the water without any apparent damage.

The captain of that fishing boat said that the women refused food and drinks and only asked for a tow. After a day they asked to use the fishing boat's satellite phone and ended up having the Navy come over.
Old 8th November 2017, 01:43 PM   #334
phiwum
Philosopher

Another thing the ladies said a while ago was that the Taiwanese fishing boat (deliberately) backed into their boat and severely damaged it (with the implied goal of sinking it). But photos of the boat don't seem to show any damage to the structure or hull. The Navy photos show it sitting high in the water without any apparent damage.

The captain of that fishing boat said that the women refused food and drinks and only asked for a tow. After a day they asked to use the fishing boat's satellite phone and ended up having the Navy come over.
I'm not one to defend these sailors, but when your bump on my boat resulted in no obvious damage, I'd sure as hell mention it.

That said, I'll wait and see whether their story is plausible. The mystery storm is troubling.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 01:51 PM   #335
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

She said it was greatly damaged and added, "look at the pictures!" There is no damage to be seen.

The fishing boat might not have even touched her boat at all. That's the kind of liars they are. They seem to be absolutely fearless with their lying. Like there is almost no attempt to make the lies believable.
Old 8th November 2017, 03:38 PM   #336
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

She said it was greatly damaged and added, "look at the pictures!" There is no damage to be seen.

The fishing boat might not have even touched her boat at all. That's the kind of liars they are. They seem to be absolutely fearless with their lying. Like there is almost no attempt to make the lies believable.
Five months of eating granola can protein starve a person, causing mental problems.
Old 8th November 2017, 03:42 PM   #337
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps the entire problem was that the two sailors were way too polite? They spent months lost at sea because didn't want to bother anyone...
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 03:47 PM   #338
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Perhaps the entire problem was that the two sailors were way too polite? They spent months lost at sea because didn't want to bother anyone...
And they invented the stories because they were embarrassed?

It makes more sense than what they have claimed.

Swimming to overtake a fishing boat is my favourite bit.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 03:53 PM   #339
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
And they invented the stories because they were embarrassed?

It makes more sense than what they have claimed.

Swimming to overtake a fishing boat is my favourite bit.
Sorry- I was being sarcastic. And I should know that doesn't come across well on the Internet.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 04:04 PM   #340
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Sorry- I was being sarcastic. And I should know that doesn't come across well on the Internet.
Put it this way, I didn't think it was a serious suggestion... But my comment that it made more sense than their story still holds. I didn't say it was a good theory, just a better theory
Old 8th November 2017, 07:59 PM   #341
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
4. Liars to the core.
I did point out that she looked "weathered".

Was there another Sea Nymph that showed up in Tahiti? Does Tahiti have a record of this?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 08:08 PM   #342
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

OK, but then why did the Navy say it was unseaworthy and set it adrift?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2017, 08:24 PM   #343
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

OK, but then why did the Navy say it was unseaworthy and set it adrift?
I haven't read any explanation other than Appel saying it was smashed. Here are some photos. I don't see any damage.

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/asset...1-full-169.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/media.boingboing.n...rescued-01.jpg

http://thisainthell.us/blog/wp-conte...ue-300x237.jpg

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017...-master675.jpg
Old 8th November 2017, 08:27 PM   #344
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Neither do I. The US Navy took her word for it? Or do they have a strict "sorry, we don't tow" policy.
Old 8th November 2017, 09:08 PM   #345
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, the 7th Fleet does seem to be short of competent sailors at the moment. They probably decided to cut their losses. It's not like they benefit from putting a prize crew aboard the boat.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 03:49 AM   #346
Argumemnon
World Maker

Or do they have a strict "sorry, we don't tow" policy.
Sounds like something a Greyjoy would say.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 06:31 AM   #347
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

More from the Today Show...

Originally Posted by NBC News
Appel, an experienced boater, and Fuiava, a novice, were aboard a 50-foot sailboat called the Sea Nymph. The Coast Guard has said they made radio contact with a vessel by the same name in June, and says those aboard confirmed they were OK and a close to arriving in Tahiti.

Appel denied that that happened. Holding up a GPS that was aboard her boat, she said Wednesday, "Our GPS shows we were nowhere near Tahiti."...

They said it wasn't until they were in the hands of their supposed rescuers on the Taiwanese fishing vessel that they actually felt their lives were in danger.

"We were never 'lost at sea.' We knew where we were the entire time," Appel said. "While the media portrayed a rescue with the Taiwanese fishing vessel, they were actually the reason why we called for help."

Instead of obeying standard regulations for the distance a vessel is supposed to keep while towing a boat, the Taiwanese vessel purposely rammed against them, she said, overpowering their significantly smaller boat.

"The Taiwanese fishing vessel was not planning to rescue us," she continued. "They tried to kill us during the night."

It was then that Appel said she decided to alert the U.S. Coast Guard. But she claimed there was an explanation for why she still didn’t use the EPIRB and instead used the satellite phone on the fishing vessel.

"I was able to get on a surfboard and get on their boat, make an actual phone call. Because no one spoke English, it was easier and safer for me to relay the information to the U.S. Coast Guard-Guam sector that we were in danger without them realizing what we were saying. If I had thrown the EPIRB at that point, he [the captain] would have known.”

Appel said Wednesday that she never doubted they would eventually get to dry land, even if the fishing vessel hadn't towed them.

"We were going to run into land somewhere," she said.
They used the Today Show to tell more lies and silly paranoid delusions.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ld-say-n818531
Old 9th November 2017, 07:44 AM   #348
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

So they always knew where they were because the electronic GPS device was working fine. She knows they are in open ocean about 900 miles from Japan. She says that she knows they will eventually hit land - with the implication being that they are adrift without control but not really in trouble. She must have calculated the food supply into her evaluation of "no troubles".

So she is confident that they will eventually hit land. Like what kind of land? Would it involve breaking to bits on a reef a mile offshore? Or was she thinking about nicely coming into a port that was deep enough for her boat - a boat which couldn't even do that back in Hawaii?

I think Appel wants her audience to think that they were truly adrift without control and had no choice other than to go wherever the currents took them. I think that is a lie and they could have gone almost anywhere they wanted at any time. They could have gotten help even without the beacon but they intentionally chose not to because they really didn't need any help because they never really were stranded and out of control.
Old 9th November 2017, 08:10 AM   #349
Argumemnon
World Maker

So they always knew where they were because the electronic GPS device was working fine. She knows they are in open ocean about 900 miles from Japan. She says that she knows they will eventually hit land - with the implication being that they are adrift without control but not really in trouble. She must have calculated the food supply into her evaluation of "no troubles".

So she is confident that they will eventually hit land. Like what kind of land? Would it involve breaking to bits on a reef a mile offshore? Or was she thinking about nicely coming into a port that was deep enough for her boat - a boat which couldn't even do that back in Hawaii?

I think Appel wants her audience to think that they were truly adrift without control and had no choice other than to go wherever the currents took them. I think that is a lie and they could have gone almost anywhere they wanted at any time. They could have gotten help even without the beacon but they intentionally chose not to because they really didn't need any help because they never really were stranded and out of control.
The whole story makes no sense. I'd think they got lost and crafted this whole fantasy story as they went along either to cover their faults or for publicity... but then that doesn't explain the surplus of food they took on the trip, etc.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 08:57 AM   #350
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

This is so removed from their original narrative it laughable.

"I was so convinced the Taiwanese fishermen were going to kill us, I hopped on to a surfboard (a *********** surfboard!) in the middle of the Pacific and paid them a visit to make a call. Luckily those murderous fishermen forget their malicious intent and stood idly by. At that point I decided not to make a note of any identifying feature of the craft and its buccaneers."
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 09:10 AM   #351
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
This is so removed from their original narrative it laughable.

"I was so convinced the Taiwanese fishermen were going to kill us, I hopped on to a surfboard (a *********** surfboard!) in the middle of the Pacific and paid them a visit to make a call. Luckily those murderous fishermen forget their malicious intent and stood idly by. At that point I decided not to make a note of any identifying feature of the craft and its buccaneers."

Old 9th November 2017, 09:37 AM   #352
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The only movie I could imagine would be a John Waters flick. Lunatic Lesbian Liars on the High Seas.
Old 9th November 2017, 09:42 AM   #353
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The only movie I could imagine would be a John Waters flick. Lunatic Lesbian Liars on the High Seas.
And you can be sure he'd show what happened to the dog poop!
Old 9th November 2017, 09:47 AM   #354
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
And you can be sure he'd show what happened to the dog poop!
"What's for dinner tonight Appel?"

"Hold on", goes outside and moves to the end of the boat, (muffled) "Here boy, here boy".
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2017, 09:55 AM   #355
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

In one of the interviews Appel is talking about their food. She rattles off the list and makes a point of saying it's all vegan.

Why would anyone attempt to save Vegan Lunatic Lesbian Liars who are lost at sea?
Old 9th November 2017, 10:03 AM   #356
Argumemnon
World Maker

So it was a vegan lesbian sea epic? Talk about a shrinking target audience!

Old 9th November 2017, 10:13 AM   #357
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
So it was a vegan lesbian sea epic? Talk about a shrinking target audience!
I think they are gearing up for a two-woman show in San Francisco . . .
Old 9th November 2017, 11:22 AM   #358
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Today Show
Appel pointed out that she and her friend did not seek the attention they have gained.

“It’s a unique situation. We were not expecting it,” she said. “We did not call the media, the Navy did. And we’re enjoying the ride and we’re glad to be here.”
This may be insightful. It is true that the Navy contacted the media, not the women. We actually don't know what they would have done if the Navy simply took them to Okinawa and never contacted the press. Maybe the women would have not said anything to the press. Maybe all of their fantastic lies about the trip were only to be told to friends and family. Those are people who don't judge you when you tell lies. They don't check the National Weather Service to see if your killer storm actually happened. They don't tell you that you are full of crap when you say that you were nearly eaten by a pack of giant tiger sharks. They won't even tell you that some Taiwanese fishermen didn't really want to kill you.

These crazy personality-disordered women are telling their outrageous and fearless lies because they don't really know how to switch from talking about their trip to family and friends to instead talking to the general public. These stories were never meant to be heard by you and me. Well, that's my most recent theory. Still very crazy lesbian lovers. Lying to each other on the boat. Exaggerating everything for maximum drama. Never really in danger or meaningful hardship. Enjoying themselves and their love for each other. And not intending to tell the world about it.

https://www.today.com/news/two-women...st-sea-t118536
Old 9th November 2017, 11:26 AM   #359
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Today Show
The Coast Guard is reviewing records from the months Jennifer Appel and Tasha Fuiava spent at sea after the pair took off from Honolulu on May 3 on their 50-foot sailboat, the Sea Nymph.
That's from yesterday. I don't know if that means the CG is continuing to actively investigate their various claims.
Old 9th November 2017, 11:57 AM   #360
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Quote:
If I had thrown the EPIRB at that point, he [the captain] would have known
I'm pretty sure she could have activated the EPIRB without throwing it anywhere that the fishing boat captain would have seen.
Quote:
Once deployed, EPIRBs can be activated, depending on the circumstances, either manually (crewman flicks a switch) or automatically (when water contacts the unit's "sea-switch".) All modern EPIRBs provide both methods of activation and deployment, and thus are labelled "Manual and Automatic Deployment and Activation.
"Deployed" means it is removed from its mounting bracket.

The boat being wrecked and sinking can cause this to happen automatically, or someone can pull it out of its bracket.

Last edited by quadraginta; 9th November 2017 at 12:03 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events