ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Mohammed bin Salman , Saad Hariri , Saudi Arabia incidents , Saudi Arabia issues , Saudi Arabia politics , US-Saudi Arabia relations

Old 14th November 2017, 08:50 AM   #41
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
Sorry, I got the discussion mixed up at some point. However, I would not take the revolution to imply any large shift in religious practice in general.
Nor would I. I think the war is when the hardliners were able to get into the heads of the public. Like many harsh regimes, their greatest enemy is their greatest asset. A U.S.-backed strongman hurling chemical weapons at them while Saudi Wahhabists set up camp all over the ME, central Asia, and Africa makes for quite a set of boogeymen to juxtapose against.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2017, 09:03 AM   #42
TubbaBlubba
Knave of the Dudes

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Nor would I. I think the war is when the hardliners were able to get into the heads of the public. Like many harsh regimes, their greatest enemy is their greatest asset. A U.S.-backed strongman hurling chemical weapons at them while Saudi Wahhabists set up camp all over the ME, central Asia, and Africa makes for quite a set of boogeymen to juxtapose against.
I unfortunately don't know the post-revolution history in detail as well as I'd like. I do know that Khomeini seizing control of the army during the war was chief in securing his assertion of authority. I know a few Iranian expats; though they are quite urban, liberal and irreligious, most of them seem to feel that the government holds a fair degree of legitimacy, but that the authority of the supreme leader is dubious to illegitimate. They do take their elections very seriously (Comparisons between Trump and Ahmadinejad were aplenty last year). I've very often gotten the impression that they feel that the current government is a temporary state of affairs.
Old 14th November 2017, 10:26 AM   #43
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TubbaBlubba View Post
I unfortunately don't know the post-revolution history in detail as well as I'd like. I do know that Khomeini seizing control of the army during the war was chief in securing his assertion of authority. I know a few Iranian expats; though they are quite urban, liberal and irreligious, most of them seem to feel that the government holds a fair degree of legitimacy, but that the authority of the supreme leader is dubious to illegitimate. They do take their elections very seriously (Comparisons between Trump and Ahmadinejad were aplenty last year). I've very often gotten the impression that they feel that the current government is a temporary state of affairs.
That's a very Iranian way of looking at it.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 02:57 PM   #44
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

So Hariri missed a deadline he set hinself to return to Lebanon. French president Micron, sorry Macron, returned from an emergency visit to KSA sent home without meeting either the King or the Lebanese PM. Now word according to Reuters citing unnamed French government officials is that Hariri will travel to France soon.
Old 15th November 2017, 03:03 PM   #45
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

In other news the Saudi savages have, following the attack on Riyadh airport with a Buscan missile admittedly manufactured by Yemen, not Iran, escalated the blockade of Yemen where now according to the UN 900,000 people have caught cholera, many millions are seriously starving while 70,000 civilians have already died, and Al Qaeda/ISIS is stronger than ever before. With direct complicity of the US and UK. Podcast with Nasser Arrabyee, a Yemeni journalist who used to write for the NYT.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 15th November 2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: naming Yemeni journalist
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 05:28 PM   #46
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
In other news the Saudi savages have, following the attack on Riyadh airport with a Buscan missile admittedly manufactured by Yemen, not Iran, escalated the blockade of Yemen where now according to the UN 900,000 people have caught cholera, many millions are seriously starving while 70,000 civilians have already died, and Al Qaeda/ISIS is stronger than ever before. With direct complicity of the US and UK. Podcast with Nasser Arrabyee, a Yemeni journalist who used to write for the NYT.
Stopped reading there.
Old 15th November 2017, 05:36 PM   #47
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Stopped reading there.
Hey, at least you made it past "Micron".
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2017, 06:37 PM   #48
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Stopped reading there.

Who cares?
Old 20th November 2017, 03:33 AM   #49
JJM 777
Illuminator

The situation in Saudi Arabia causes mixed feelings. But predominantly positive. The methods used look dictatorial, hmm what is the term for a dictator limiting the dictatorship of his fellow dictators? But the objectives look mostly very positive from a western viewpoint. More moderate Islam? Yes please. Driving license to women? Yes please. That is why the west is so calm, I guess, they are happy with the objectives, even though they would normally be very much upset with the used methods.
JJM 777 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th November 2017, 08:21 AM   #50
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

I'm interested and fascinated despite being totally confused.

No wonder I'm a David Lynch fan.

ETA:

This is nothing compared to Syria, of course. where groups who are enemies in front A are buddies on front B and merging with groups whose objectives align in some areas until those objectives are almost reached and they turn on each other. And several more layers of crazy.

Last edited by Eddie Dane; 20th November 2017 at 08:25 AM.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2017, 03:03 PM   #51
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

So Hariri is back in Lebanon after a visit to France, and he's also kind of back as Prime Minister, because the President asked him kindly. Two of his kids are still in KSA, though.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics