ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cheetahs , vultures

Old 11th November 2017, 02:05 PM   #1
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Are scavengers edible?

I hope someone knows about savanna wildlife.

You often, in TV features about wildlife see predators having to ward off scavengers from their catch. Generally, they just growl and slash at them.

Today I saw a feature about a cheetah mother struggling to feed a litter of six (!) cubs. While they were eating she chased away the gathering vultures.

I started to wonder why she didn't kill a few of them. Pretty free food as they walked (well, lurched) right up close. A vulture looks big, but it it only weighs some three kg. So the 15 times heavier cheetah should have no trouble killing it, even if it has a sharp beak.

Do vultures taste very bad or something?

Hans
Old 11th November 2017, 02:21 PM   #2
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Not speaking from personal experience, but I've heard that a lot of birds taste really bad. (Swan, penguin, puffin, parrots)

Also birds really fight dirty (watch your eyes). I've copped a few pecks from my chickens, and there's no way I'd pick a fight with a vulture.
Old 11th November 2017, 02:25 PM   #3
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I'm sure she'd eat them but I'm guessing the cheetah knows from experience it is a waste of energy to try to catch one.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 02:34 PM   #4
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
Not speaking from personal experience, but I've heard that a lot of birds taste really bad. (Swan, penguin, puffin, parrots)

Also birds really fight dirty (watch your eyes). I've copped a few pecks from my chickens, and there's no way I'd pick a fight with a vulture.
Isn't smoked puffin a delicacy in Iceland? Of course not all "delicacies" actually taste good.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 02:38 PM   #5
fagin
Illuminator

And only the queen can eat swans over here.
Old 11th November 2017, 02:42 PM   #6
Hans
Philosopher

penguin.
Quote:
Eventually, penguins began flocking to the ship and the birds were—Cook wrote—“of equal interest to the naturalist and the cook.” He began eating penguins. They taste like “a piece of beef, odiferous cod fish and a canvas-backed duck roasted together in a pot, with blood and cod-liver oil for sauce”—but eventually he convinced the crew’s leader to make everyone eat penguin. Remember, Cook was a physician and was essentially prescribing this fresh meat as medicine.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...ctic-22002918/
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 03:03 PM   #7
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't pick a fight, I'd kick the daylights right out of it.

Hans
Old 11th November 2017, 03:04 PM   #8
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I'm sure she'd eat them but I'm guessing the cheetah knows from experience it is a waste of energy to try to catch one.
A cheetah is the fastest land animal on the planet. I'm sure it can jump a vulture. They are rather slow when on the ground.

Hans
Old 11th November 2017, 03:09 PM   #9
Varanid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
A cheetah is the fastest land animal on the planet. I'm sure it can jump a vulture. They are rather slow when on the ground.

Hans
Often, the perspective on wildlife documentaries is misleading. The vultures were likely hanging out beyond the cheetah's reasonable reach.

I don't understand optics/photography well, but I think that if you use a really long zoom lens, you lose depth of field.
Old 11th November 2017, 03:38 PM   #10
fagin
Illuminator

I haven't ever seen scavengers actually attacked, just chased, whether vultures, hyenas or whatever (and lions are much bigger than hyenas.)

Perhaps the instinct is to protect the kill they have, and not line up more.

A bit of a chase would also allow the other scavengers to get in and munch.
Old 11th November 2017, 03:38 PM   #11
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Could be a point
Old 11th November 2017, 03:49 PM   #12
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Lobsters sure are.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:34 PM   #13
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

I read that the liver of meat eaters is a pretty poisonous thing, as it stores all kinds of stuff at the end of the food chain. Specifically vitamin-A poisoning can make you painfully and mortally ill - as I recall, there was once a polar expedition that learned this the hard way after they ate their dog's livers.

Not sure if perhaps similarly the muscle meat or fat of scavengers is high on contaminants.
Old 11th November 2017, 04:49 PM   #14
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
And only the queen can eat swans over here.
Not true, She can eat her swans. Some swans are 'owned' by the London Livery Companies, they can serve them. there is a ceremony every year on the Thames where they catch swans and mark them with their ownership.
I think Swan is served in some of the Oxford Colleges as well at High Table.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:50 PM   #15
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Hans
I dunno, evolution and all, they are often feeding on the same carcass large predators are eating on. I imagine they know how to stay just far enough away to avoid a swipe.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:51 PM   #16
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I like a Crab
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:52 PM   #17
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by fagin View Post

Perhaps the instinct is to protect the kill they have, and not line up more.

A bit of a chase would also allow the other scavengers to get in and munch.
These are good points. Bird in the hand plus experience chasing and never catching the ever moving competition around the kill.
Old 11th November 2017, 04:56 PM   #18
Yeggster
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Isn't smoked puffin a delicacy in Iceland? Of course not all "delicacies" actually taste good.
Icelandic delicacies include popping open a can of surströmming in brine too though
Yeggster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 04:58 PM   #19
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Hans
A Bantam Cock can

It was a grand upstanding bantam cock,
So brisk and stiff and spry,
With springy step and jaunty plume
And a purposeful look in his eye,
In his little black blinking eye, he had.

I took him to the coop and introduced him
To my seventeen wide-eyed hens.
He tupped and he tupped as a hero tups
And he bowed from the waist to them all, and then
He upped and he tupped 'em all again, he did.

And then upon the peace of me ducks and me geese
He rudely did intrude.
With glazed eyes and open mouths
They bore it all with fortitude
And a little bit of gratitude, they did.

He jumped my giggling guinea fowl
And forced his attentions upon
My twenty hysterical turkeys and
A visiting migrant swan.
But the bantam thundered on, he did.

He ravished my fan-tailed pigeons and
Me lily-white columbines,
And while I was locking up the budgerigar
He jumped my parrot from behind;
She was sitting on me shoulder at the time.

And all of a sudden with a gasp and a gulp
He clapped his hands to his head,
Fell flat on his back with his toes in the air.
My bantam cock lay dead
And the vultures circled overhead, they did.

What a champion brute; what a noble cock;
What a way to live and to die.
I was digging him a grave to save his bones
From the hungry buzzards in the sky
When the bantam opened up a sly little eye.

He gave me a grin and a terrible wink,
The way that rapists do.
He said, "You see them big daft buggers up there?
They'll be down in a minute or two;
They'll be down in a minute or two".
Old 11th November 2017, 05:31 PM   #20
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

A cheetah is relatively light, and vultures are relatively big. If you've seen videos of things like eagles attacking goats, you'll know that being in a fight with a predatory bird is no joke. I would have thought the cheetah would only try it as a last resort, especially as the vulture can fly and therefore catching it would require a great deal of effort.
Old 11th November 2017, 05:48 PM   #21
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Lobsters sure are.
Good god, man, haven't you ever seen what a lobster can do to a cheetah!? The poor feline wouldn't stand a chance!

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:51 PM   #22
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Yeggster View Post
Icelandic delicacies include popping open a can of surströmming in brine too though
Don't they also eat rancid shark meat or something? I hear it's an acquired taste.

Or am I conflating the northern ethnicities?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 11th November 2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11th November 2017, 05:55 PM   #23
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

Originally Posted by Varanid View Post
I don't understand optics/photography well, but I think that if you use a really long zoom lens, you lose depth of field.
Right idea, wrong name.

What you're thinking of is the ability to distinguish distances from the camera. This goes down when you're zooming in from a long distance; things seem to be closer together than they really are, along the direction the camera's pointed. I don't think that has a special term.

The "field" in "depth of field" is the focus field, which is the range of distances from the camera at which things can be called in-focus; anything too close or too far is outside the focus field, which makes it blurry. If that middle zone where things are in focus encompasses a wide range of different distances (relative to the overall range of distances for the objects in the picture), then lots of the picture it likely to be in focus, and the field is said to have great depth; if it only encompasses a narrow range of distances (relative to teh overall range of distances for the objects in the picture), then a smaller fraction of the stuff in the image will be in focus and you're more likely to have significant out-of-focus parts, and the field is said to have little depth. Typically, close-ups tend to have shallower focus fields (to such an extent that it's nearly impossible to avoid having significant parts of a close-up shot out of focus) and long shots tend to have deeper ones (to such an extent that practically everything in the picture seems equally perfectly focused), because of parallax, although you can either combat or exaggerate that effect with camera settings. Obviously, though, this only affects how clearly we can see the cheetah or vultures, not how close or far apart they seem.

Not only does chasing pests too much cost energy and pull you farther away from the food that you already know is ready for the eating right there with practically no more new effort, but catching one also might mean getting exposed to whatever it could have picked up from previous meals that weren't as fresh as the one you just killed. Vultures' heads are bald so they can stick them all the way inside rotting animals, and they don't wash afterward.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 05:57 PM   #24
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Don't they also eat rancid shark meat or something? I hear it's an acquired taste.

Or am I conflating the northern ethnicities?
Not rancid, but fermented and dried:

Kæstur hákarl

Quote:
Kæstur hákarl (Icelandic pronunciation: ​[ˈhauːkʰardl̥]) (Icelandic for "fermented shark") is a national dish of Iceland consisting of a Greenland shark (Somniosus microcephalus) or other sleeper shark which has been cured with a particular fermentation process and hung to dry for four to five months. Kæstur hákarl has a strong ammonia-rich smell and fishy taste.
It must be good:

Quote:
Chef Anthony Bourdain described kæstur hákarl as "the single worst, most disgusting and terrible tasting thing" he has ever eaten.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 06:06 PM   #25
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

I have a vague memory from a high school biology class of my teacher saying something about why predators usually only eat herbivores, rather than other carnivores. Something about energy gradients in a food chain...

I'm not sure why this doesn't apply to seafood.
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 06:11 PM   #26
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
What you're thinking of is the ability to distinguish distances from the camera. This goes down when you're zooming in from a long distance; things seem to be closer together than they really are, along the direction the camera's pointed. I don't think that has a special term.
Perspective distortion?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2017, 06:20 PM   #27
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
I have a vague memory from a high school biology class of my teacher saying something about why predators usually only eat herbivores, rather than other carnivores. Something about energy gradients in a food chain...

I'm not sure why this doesn't apply to seafood.
Predators might avoid other predators because they are dangerous to hunt, but generally I would think predators seek herbivores because there are more of them. Basically every step up the food chain loses about 90% of energy, so things at the bottom of the food chain tend to be a lot more numerous. Also large vs small tends to correlate with rare vs. numerous.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 03:47 AM   #28
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

One more reason that a cat will not try to kill scavengers - the cat would be tired from killing the animal it wants to eat. Both parties know there would be enough food for both of them. The birds just need to wait for their own turn.
rjh01 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 04:27 AM   #29
fagin
Illuminator

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Lobsters sure are.
Nom nom.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I like a Crab
More nom nom.

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Not true, She can eat her swans. Some swans are 'owned' by the London Livery Companies, they can serve them. there is a ceremony every year on the Thames where they catch swans and mark them with their ownership.
I think Swan is served in some of the Oxford Colleges as well at High Table.
We obviously move in different circles. I do like a nice bit of chicken.
Old 12th November 2017, 06:21 AM   #30
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

I think the only carnivore I've eaten has been crocodile, it was very nice.
Old 12th November 2017, 07:44 AM   #31
Chanakya

Do vultures taste very bad or something?

Hans

Is taste similar across species? Would a cheetah necessarily like/hate something that a human likes/hates? (No idea what the answer may be!)

I know there's many things we can eat that would make a dog ill, so there's that. But of course since that is only if the dog eats it, and if it does, then probably it does that because it doesn't hate the taste.

Incidentally, I've found that shark tastes pretty much okay. (Tried it just the once.) And sharks are carnivores.

Besides, there are cases of cannibalism in many species (with the mother eating the young, for instance, as well as more ...interesting variations). So I suppose yes, carnivores are edible.
Chanakya is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 08:34 AM   #32
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
Fresh puffin is delicious, a lot like pigeon..
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 08:36 AM   #33
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alexi_drago View Post
....and some fish probably...
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 09:00 AM   #34
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Pigs are edible and they scavenge.
Old 12th November 2017, 11:56 AM   #35
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Wasn't thinking, yup, not a big fan of fish but occasionally.
Old 12th November 2017, 12:29 PM   #36
Varanid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Right idea, wrong name.

The "field" in "depth of field" is the focus field, which is the range of distances from the camera at which things can be called in-focus; anything too close or too far is outside the focus field, which makes it blurry. If that middle zone where things are in focus encompasses a wide range of different distances (relative to the overall range of distances for the objects in the picture), then lots of the picture it likely to be in focus, and the field is said to have great depth; if it only encompasses a narrow range of distances (relative to teh overall range of distances for the objects in the picture), then a smaller fraction of the stuff in the image will be in focus and you're more likely to have significant out-of-focus parts, and the field is said to have little depth. Typically, close-ups tend to have shallower focus fields (to such an extent that it's nearly impossible to avoid having significant parts of a close-up shot out of focus) and long shots tend to have deeper ones (to such an extent that practically everything in the picture seems equally perfectly focused), because of parallax, although you can either combat or exaggerate that effect with camera settings. Obviously, though, this only affects how clearly we can see the cheetah or vultures, not how close or far apart they seem.

Not only does chasing pests too much cost energy and pull you farther away from the food that you already know is ready for the eating right there with practically no more new effort, but catching one also might mean getting exposed to whatever it could have picked up from previous meals that weren't as fresh as the one you just killed. Vultures' heads are bald so they can stick them all the way inside rotting animals, and they don't wash afterward.
Thanks for the correction/info. Makes sense.
Old 12th November 2017, 12:35 PM   #37
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alexi_drago View Post
Me too. Tasted a little like chicken. Which, for those of you who haven't had chicken, tastes a little like human flesh...
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 02:34 PM   #38
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2017, 02:53 PM   #39
Madalch
The Jester

Bear varies depending on what it's been eating. If it's been eating berries, it's delicious. If it's been spending the last week gnawing on the rotting carcass of an elk, it tastes like rotting carcass.....
Old 12th November 2017, 07:57 PM   #40
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Don't they feed farmed tuna with sardines in those huge open sea cages?

Which I consider a waste - I prefer sardines, grilled or canned or fried or cooked - over tuna every day of the week.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology